Jarric - the 80/20 rule

The 80/20 rule

Hi all, I'm back! I dropped off at the end of the challenge before last when life got in the way. Mainly my work just went insane and I didn't have the mental energy to do anything other than work and exist. I've been surviving, but it doesn't feel like I've been doing much more than that for a while.

Work has now started to calm down, and we three new people coming on which in the long run should mean that we don't end up quite so swamped again. There might be some initial pain as we get people trained up, but there is at least light at the end of the tunnel.

At the start of the year I set out a road map for 2021. Spoilered for size:

Spoiler

Part 1 - make a house a home
With a bit of luck and a not insignificant amount of paperwork, WW and I should be buying our first house in the next month or so. The place needs some work doing to it, which means I need money to do stuff, and that I have a great opportunity to become a bit more handy with things around the house. My Dad was a carpenter and is generally good at all things construction, so I'm hoping to learn some skills from him while he's still able to help me with things. The goals are:

• Step 1: buy a house. There's not a huge amount I can do to influence this, other than stay on top of the process, but if it doesn't happen none of the following will apply!
  • Step 2: put money into the house. Some of that will be into things like repairing the walls, replacing doors, putting in fire alarms, and some of that will be overpaying the mortgage when I can. Ideally if I'm reviewing how I'm spending and budgeting money every challenge cycle I should stay on top of this.
  • Step 3: learn how to do stuff. There will be things I can't/won't do (plumbing, gas, major electrical works, replacing the porch). But I want to do the stuff I can, up to and hopefully including fitting carpets, replacing doors and windows, painting, putting up shelves etc.
  • Step 4: record things. I want to write out a history of the house with the things I know from legal documents, and with all the work I do, so that I can give the next owner substantially more information that I had going in. I also want to document the work I do so I can remember how to do it in the future.

Part 2 - bragging rights and party tricks

Last year my big fitness goals revolved around races. I actually managed some of them, but with races being cancelled left, right, and centre, I thought it would be better to focus on goals that I can achieve alone. With that in mind, I've come up with a list of things I want to have done by the end of the year, because they're things I think are cool and I want to do cool things like cool people do ;)

• Run 1,202 miles in 2021 (because that's 2021 backwards). That's 100 miles per month, which is very doable as long as I prioritise running. I fell in love with running properly this year as a way to get out more, so that helps.
  • Bar muscle ups for reps. I've had a couple of very ugly reps of kipping bar muscle ups, but I want to be able to do them properly without breaking my ribs!
  • Handwalk 4ft. It's an arbitrary distance, but I can only manage a couple of 'paces' at the moment so it's something to aim for.
  • 30 second handstand hold. Another arbitrary target. I can manage about 6 seconds at the moment, up to 10 on a really good day, so this will be a good stretch.
  • Pistol and shrimp squats for reps. I can almost get a pistol squat, and can't get a shrimp squat at all, but they seem like really cool things to be able to do.
  • Add one thing to this list and cross it off. I'm hoping as I get through this list I'll discover new things I want to try, so I want at least one thing I haven't thought of already.

Part 3 - create stuff

I like being creative - it's fun. And it's something I want to stick with, because I think it's good for me too. This includes:

• Improve my drawing. A bit of an amorphous goal, but looking at pictures from this year in a year's time I hope to see some good improvement.
  • Keep my D&D campaign going, and keep it interesting for everyone. Even playing a published adventure path it's amazing how much latitude you have as a DM to add some creativity.
  • Publish something on DMs Guild/Drive Thru RPG. I'm not talking like a full blown adventure path/campaign setting here, but I'd like to get a little one-shot or some homebrew stuff up. It's fun, and it gives me something to aim for.

With that background, now seemed like a good time to get back to challenging, but I know I'm still going to have limited mental resources for a while. On that basis I've decided to run a challenge using the 80/20 rule, i.e. I set out my goals, and accept that 80% is good enough right now.

Each goal will also be worth £30 of real money. For the percentage of my goal I complete, I get to spend that money on whatever I like. For the failure percentage I put the money as an overpayment on my mortgage. This means that I'm wagering £150 on myself this challenge. Because this is an 80/20 challenge, I'll be treating 80% as 100% for money purposes, and adjusting accordingly.

So let's talk about goals, and bear in mind that as long as I score 80% on these it counts as full marks.

Draw every day - 10XP

Drawing is good for me mentally, or at least I feel better after 20 minutes drawing in front of the TV than 20 minutes of playing mindless phone games in front of the TV. And the more I draw, the better I get at it, and that's good (and in fact, one of my goals for the year).

Brush teeth twice per day - 10XP

It's amazing how bad I am at this when I don't have the accountability of the forums. This is something that's easy to do when I'm feeling good, and incredibly challenging when I'm struggling. I still haven't worked out if I can reverse cause and effect, and make myself feel better by brushing my teeth, but as a minimum it would be nice if they didn't all fall out.

6 alcohol free days per week - 10XP

I've put on a bit of weight over the last few months. I'm still not overweight, and I'm the strongest I've ever been so that's good, but I'm at a higher body fat percentage than I would like. It's also getting to the point where I need to lose weight or buy more clothes, and I can't be bothered to buy clothes.

The best way to deal with this would probably be to track calories, but I don't have the energy for that right now. Instead I want to target the two things that I do too much when I'm stressed - drinking alcohol and snacking. Just being mindful about those things should be enough to keep my weight in check, even if I don't really lose much.

For alcohol, I like drinking with friends, but one day per week is enough, and I don't need to be drinking in front of the TV in the middle of the week. Part of this goal will also be to plan when I'm going to drink at the start of the week, so that I'm not blindsided by events at the end of the week.

One snack per day - 10XP

Following on from the goal above, I think it's reasonable to snack a bit, but it's not reasonable to snack every time I go downstairs to get a cup of tea (I drink a lot of tea), so one thing per day sounds good.

Exercise every day - 10XP

This is something I pretty much do anyway, but it's just to make sure that I don't skip a workout on a weekend, or that if I have to rearrange things on a weekday I actually do rearrange them. The general plan is Crossfit Monday, Wednesday, Friday, running Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and bouldering on Sunday, but as long as I'm doing something it's all good.

There's a couple of things I need to be aware of going into this challenge. First, I'm off work on week 4, and I might go on holiday somewhere. No plans yet though, other than to spend the first part of the week painting the house and generally trying to sort my life out.

The other thing is that at the end of week 5 I'll be running Summer Nuts. Nuts is a 7km (~4.4 mile) obstacle course race, and I'll be running 2 laps with someone from work. I've run it quite a few times, and it's always a good race, so it should be good fun and a fitting end to a challenge.

Final housekeeping:

• In week zero I'll be testing out these goals, and actually tackling them properly from week 1.
  • Challenge weeks start on a Monday; if you think otherwise your opinion is wrong
  • Weights and measures could be in metric, British imperial, Russian imperial, (rarely) American imperial, or converted into animal sizes (I hit a new 3RM on squats the other week at 1 male giant panda)

• Like 5

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 12  -  CON: 9  -  CHA: 3  -  SAN: 5  -  INT: 10

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Jarric's ADVENTure

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

2 hours ago, Jarric said:

Weights and measures could be in metric, British imperial, Russian imperial, (rarely) American imperial, or converted into animal sizes (I hit a new £RM on squats the other week at 1 male giant panda)

I think this is my favorite measurement ever!!!  

Its good to see you back and getting ready for Summer Nuts (LOL, just writing that makes me giggle, thanks!)

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Slow is smooth

2 hours ago, Terra said:

I think this is my favorite measurement ever!!!  

Its good to see you back and getting ready for Summer Nuts (LOL, just writing that makes me giggle, thanks!)

Thank you! Also, thanks for highlighting it so I noticed that I wrote £RM instead of of 3RM. Guess I'm just that 1337 :lol:

And don't worry, I'm sure I'll be talking about Nuts a lot in the next few weeks ;)

1 hour ago, DarK_RaideR said:

That sentence mate, right in the feels.

You might be satisfied with 80% of your goals, but you have 100% of my support.

Thank you man, that means a lot.

1 hour ago, milythael said:

Which version of shrimp squat are you working on?  (no hand, same hand, opposite hand, I believe listed in order of difficulty.)

At the moment, none of them! I got a good bit of work in on both shrimp and pistol at the start of the year when my gym was closed, but since we came out of lockdown not so much. I can do no hand, not there with same hand yet (which I'd be more than happy with for now to be honest).

• Like 2

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

I am also in clothes not fitting camp and I'm trying to ignore the fact that my bras are ripping the crap out of my back. 

Fire Dog GIF - Fire Dog ThisIsFine - Discover & Share GIFs

Following along, you're gonna nail it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

This checking out everyone elses Challenge really helps with inspiration.

And you are per default, inspiration!

Especially with the oncoming StrongViking i am prepping for.

I'm starting to push your squats, so you need to step up there! Are strong keep strong!

Deadlift is still bits of, but i'm still advancing every workout, so i'm coming for you too on that one.

One goal of mine will be centered about running, and it is gonna be quite ambitious!

Thanx Jarric, for the inspiration, and like i already mentioned i miss playing D&D so i will report in as soon as my schedule clears up around that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

... a little odd in the head ...

18 hours ago, deftona said:

I am also in clothes not fitting camp and I'm trying to ignore the fact that my bras are ripping the crap out of my back. 

Fire Dog GIF - Fire Dog ThisIsFine - Discover & Share GIFs

Following along, you're gonna nail it. 

We'll get back to clothes fitting - it's the only way!

Which reminds me, I split my shorts at Crossfit the other week. Doing squats I heard a little tear, and another little tear, and eventually split them from the waistband all the way down the back to my crotch. At least I was wearing clean pants! Obviously though, that's my amazing leg muscles and not my big ol' beer belly :lol:

15 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Lurking to offer support!

Hey Rho, nice to have you here! Lurk away ;) 

5 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

This checking out everyone elses Challenge really helps with inspiration.

And you are per default, inspiration!

Especially with the oncoming StrongViking i am prepping for.

I'm starting to push your squats, so you need to step up there! Are strong keep strong!

Deadlift is still bits of, but i'm still advancing every workout, so i'm coming for you too on that one.

One goal of mine will be centered about running, and it is gonna be quite ambitious!

Thanx Jarric, for the inspiration, and like i already mentioned i miss playing D&D so i will report in as soon as my schedule clears up around that!

Thank you man, it's nice to be an inspiration! There's no way I can stave you off on squats I don't think, but I'm going to give you a run for your money on deadlifts. When's your Strong Viking?

Hope we can play D&D together again soon mate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

Monday - Week 0 Day 1

Yesterday was a good day. Had Crossfit first thing. We started with deadlifts, but we had an extra long warmup and then only 15 minutes to work up to a heavy 5. That didn't really feel long enough, and everything else just felt a bit wrong, so I took it easy and stopped at 130kg (286#) x 5.

After that was a 10 minute workout, which was much better. AMRAP 10': 1 power clean, 5 toes to bar, 100m run. I went with 60kg (132#) on the power cleans, and finished 8 rounds plus 4 reps. I probably could have finished the toes to bar and got a good way through the run, but my hands were starting to blister and I decided to save my skin rather than rushing out the last few reps. Still, it felt strong throughout; very happy with that.

Work was ok, was a working from home day. I had my one snack of the day mid-afternoon; a decent serving of WW's homemade plum crumble.

After work we went straight to Tesco for some much needed shopping. As tends to happen when we go shopping before dinner, we ended up picking up loads of junk food, but I at least managed to avoid eating it. WW cooked a recipe box meal - a very nice salmon curry - and we watched some Questing Time. I did a little bit of sketching for my drawing goal, just copying some of the character art on screen.

No alcohol had, and teeth done in the evening to round out my goals.

• Like 3

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Jarric said:

Which reminds me, I split my shorts at Crossfit the other week. Doing squats I heard a little tear, and another little tear, and eventually split them from the waistband all the way down the back to my crotch. At least I was wearing clean pants! Obviously though, that's my amazing leg muscles and not my big ol' beer belly :lol:

I think you'll find it was your peng arse. 

Hey, Quick Question: Are Butts the New Pants? - Fashionista

But yes, thank heavens for clean pants! 

(reminds me of a funny story - I was staying over at a "friend"'s house many years ago and I packed my stuff up to leave in a hurry in the morning. I couldn't find my knickers anywhere. Eventually I gave up looking for them and just put my cropped jeans on. I was getting off the second bus when I felt something tickling the back of my calf and there were yesterday's knickers, swinging down the back of the leg of my jeans. I was mortified. At least they weren't giant Bridget Jones ones, small mercies and all that)

• Like 1

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

2 hours ago, deftona said:

I think you'll find it was your peng arse. 

Hey, Quick Question: Are Butts the New Pants? - Fashionista

But yes, thank heavens for clean pants! 

(reminds me of a funny story - I was staying over at a "friend"'s house many years ago and I packed my stuff up to leave in a hurry in the morning. I couldn't find my knickers anywhere. Eventually I gave up looking for them and just put my cropped jeans on. I was getting off the second bus when I felt something tickling the back of my calf and there were yesterday's knickers, swinging down the back of the leg of my jeans. I was mortified. At least they weren't giant Bridget Jones ones, small mercies and all that)

:lol: the second bus? Took you quite a while to realise then? I'd like to think that if they were massive Bridget Jones ones you might have noticed a bit sooner :lol:

• Haha 1

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

21 hours ago, Jarric said:

There's no way I can stave you off on squats I don't think,

Best Good Emporer Palpatine GIFs | Gfycat

but I'm going to give you a run for your money on deadlifts.

so I took it easy and stopped at 130kg (286#) x 5.

This is gonna be my deadlift goal for now as i am also doing fahves!

When's your Strong Viking?

4 and 5 Sep (13K and 19K)

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...

15 hours ago, Maigs said:

Good to see you back! Here to cheer you on :) 

Good to have you! :)

3 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Best Good Emporer Palpatine GIFs | Gfycat

This is gonna be my deadlift goal for now as i am also doing fahves!

4 and 5 Sep (13K and 19K)

Hmm, wonder if I can hit 150kg before you hit 130kg...

And that's cool, that's the same weekend I'm doing Nuts! Though I'm only doing 1 day, at 14k.

• Like 1

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

Yesterday was a good day. I did not feel one bit like going out for running training, and I dawdled a lot first thing, but I got out in the end. Given the late start and lots of being distracted by my phone I managed to do the training drills, but not the running practice afterwards. Better than nothing still 

Work was ok again, though I didn't clear as much stuff as I'd hoped. My one snack for the day was some more of WW's plum crumble.

I finished not too late, and cooked dinner. It was another recipe box meal - zesty lime chicken with Brazilian black beans and brown rice. It was bloody lovely, but it took about an hour to do and was a bit of a faff.

After that we had Pathfinder, our Rise of the Runelords game. We arrived late, thanks to the faffy dinner, but then had a great time messing about with bad accents and talking the toot. We even played some Pathfinder, and came face to face with a room full of vampires. It turned out that the lead vampire was some kind of flying inter-planar squid thing, who was horrifyingly dangerous and caused us a great deal of difficulty.

I managed to cast Feeblemind on it, which basically made it brainless and unable to cast spells, but still more than capable of grabbing us and drinking our blood. In the end we (barely) managed to defeat it, and next session we need to track it back to its coffin and make sure that it stays dead.

Didn't get a chance to draw yesterday, but teeth were done and I avoided drinking whilst at the pub for Pathfinder.

• Like 2

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

Yesterday was a good day. Crossfit in the morning was squats and yoke carries. My hip was feeling really crappy and a little painful, so I took both easy. Squats were 90kg (198#) for 3, rather than the 107.5kg (237#) I would have gone for, and I followed that with 80kg (176#) x 5 and 70kg (154#) x 7. The yoke was a 100ft. carry, and I tapped out at 165kg (363#) and did a load of foam rolling and lying on a massage ball. Then again, I'm always a bit wary of injuring my hip on yoke carries, so that's not as far off as it might have been.

Work was ok; really struggled to get motivated in the morning and didn't get as much done as I'd hoped, but still ok.

I'm starting to think that this snack goal will be an interesting one. I had the last of the plum crumble with my lunch, and because I had it with lunch I didn't count it as a snack. That meant I could have a snack later in the day. I don't want this goal to turn into me having dessert with every meal plus a snack, so I need to watch that what I'm doing makes sense. Nonetheless I failed this goal for the day; I had a snack before dinner, and then I was still hungry after dinner so I had an ice cream.

No alcohol, so going well on that goal. In the evening I was just feeling knackered and a bit rubbish. I did some stretching to try and feel physically better, and then ended up lying on the floor for quite a while watching TV. Because of that I didn't do any drawing. By the time I went to bed I really wasn't feeling like doing anything, so didn't brush my teeth either :apathy:

• Like 2

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

Yesterday was a good day. After a fair bit of dragging my feet, which seems to be a thing at the moment, I got out for my run. It felt weirdly strong - it's the first time that I've run that route and not stopped to walk at any point, and over 4 miles I averaged 9'29" pace. Fastest mile was 9'13" pace. All in all I'm really happy with that one.

Work was ok. Everything took longer than I had hoped, but stuff got done.

In the evening we had Pathfinder, our Mummy's Mask game. We ran into a nasty combat with a bunch of ethereal tentacle monsters and the wife of the ancient undead pharaoh we're hunting, which ended up with all sorts of shenanigans of trying to fight in the dark, casting lots of weird spells like blood scent to find people, and general silliness in an almost 3 hour combat.

Quite a few beers were had, so that's my one official drinking night for the week. I again didn't get round to drawing, so I'm not sure how this goal is going to go. Something to think about before week 1 starts 

Just the one snack in the day, and teeth were done.

• Like 4

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, deftona said:

It doesn't matter how much you drag your feet, you're getting the stuff done which is the important thing! Well done on a good day! 

Thank you :) . It's the extra stuff I'm missing - for example yesterday's plan was to run, then do some handstands and a little hangboarding, but I started so late I only had time for the run. It's not nothing though, which is something.

Crossfit days are easier - class starts at 6.30 with or without me, so I can't procrastinate for ages.

• Like 2

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

Friday was a good day. I managed 6 ring muscle ups at Crossfit in the morning, in sets of 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, very pleased with those :D . Then we had sandbag carries, sled pulls, and ring dips - was a fun session.

Work was ok. In the evening I got a tiny bit of doodling in. Teeth were brushed, no alcohol was had, apparently I blew my snack goal but honestly I can't remember why.

Saturday was a good day. Went to Parkrun first thing, for the first time in a couple of years (it's just restarted over here to be fair), and ran 5k in 27:29 which is fine. Then I drove up to the Downs and ran another 10 miles, which was a cool start to the morning. It was blazing hot when I went out, and was pretty good weather all the way until the last half a mile when it absolutely chucked it down with rain. So in the end I got back to my car totally soaked and had to drive home in the pouring rain, but it was nonetheless nice to get out.

In the afternoon I did some D&D prep, and then went shopping for some stuff to take on a very stupid drawing project, which I started when I got home. In the evening WW and I went out to dinner with Hopalong, and then I sat up watching TV and drinking beer and generally chilling out. No snacks were had all day, miraculously, but I missed brushing my teeth.

• Like 1

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

I love love love this.  I might have to borrow some of this idea for my own... once I get to planning it! :D

Here as always my friend.

• Like 1

Level 79 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

18 hours ago, deftona said:

Some really good stuff happened this weekend and I bet that rainshower felt quite lovely after all that running! 

It did! I wish it had rain half way through so that I could cool off and then dry out at the end of the run, but you know what they say about beggars and choosers.

15 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I love love love this.  I might have to borrow some of this idea for my own... once I get to planning it! :D

Here as always my friend.

Thank you! Always good to have you here, of course. Now go get planning! :P 

• Like 1

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler

Sunday was a good day. In the morning I went climbing. Following Saturday's late night beers I got up really late, so I had to cut the session a bit short. Still, I didn't climb horribly considering, and it gave me a chance to start breaking in my new climbing shoes.

In the afternoon we had D&D. I was really nervous about running this one, because it's a new group. The usual Ranger D&D campaign is on hold for the summer while people have lives and things, so I've got together a group for a mini campaign. I'm still playing with WW, @jonfirestar and @iatetheyeti (who sadly couldn't make this session), but there's also one of my oldest friends who's never played D&D before, and two people I don't really know at all, so I was a bit worried about how things would go. I needn't have been; in true D&D style they spent a long time planning, immediately botched a stealth check, had a combat, and then eventually allowed me to lead them towards the plot. I think it'll be a fun game.

Zero Week Reflections

I'm not scoring for any of my goals in zero week; this is just to check in on how things went and see if I need to tweak anything before the challenge proper starts. And remember, 80% is a pass for any goal.

Draw every day - 10XP

Drawing is good for me mentally, or at least I feel better after 20 minutes drawing in front of the TV than 20 minutes of playing mindless phone games in front of the TV. And the more I draw, the better I get at it, and that's good (and in fact, one of my goals for the year).

4/7 = 57%. This goal is going to be tough, but I'm not going to change it. I think it's doable, I just need to accept that I might only do a 5 minute doodle some days. I also need to plan my day - if I know I'm playing D&D in the evening then I know I'll only have time to draw at lunch, so I have to do that.

Brush teeth twice per day - 10XP

It's amazing how bad I am at this when I don't have the accountability of the forums. This is something that's easy to do when I'm feeling good, and incredibly challenging when I'm struggling. I still haven't worked out if I can reverse cause and effect, and make myself feel better by brushing my teeth, but as a minimum it would be nice if they didn't all fall out.

5/7 = 71%. Not ideal, but the last few weeks before this challenge started were 0/7, so this is working to an extent. No sense in changing it on that basis.

6 alcohol free days per week - 10XP

I've put on a bit of weight over the last few months. I'm still not overweight, and I'm the strongest I've ever been so that's good, but I'm at a higher body fat percentage than I would like. It's also getting to the point where I need to lose weight or buy more clothes, and I can't be bothered to buy clothes.

The best way to deal with this would probably be to track calories, but I don't have the energy for that right now. Instead I want to target the two things that I do too much when I'm stressed - drinking alcohol and snacking. Just being mindful about those things should be enough to keep my weight in check, even if I don't really lose much.

For alcohol, I like drinking with friends, but one day per week is enough, and I don't need to be drinking in front of the TV in the middle of the week. Part of this goal will also be to plan when I'm going to drink at the start of the week, so that I'm not blindsided by events at the end of the week.

5/6 = 83% - a success! I'll be honest, I'm expecting a lot of weeks to end up this way, and I've set the goal accordingly. 6 days alcohol free is the ideal, but 5 is still a pass.

One snack per day - 10XP

Following on from the goal above, I think it's reasonable to snack a bit, but it's not reasonable to snack every time I go downstairs to get a cup of tea (I drink a lot of tea), so one thing per day sounds good.

4/7 = 57%. This is an interesting one, as I'm still working out what to count. On one day I had dessert with lunch, so I didn't count that as my snack, but I feel like if I had a chocolate bar after lunch I probably would have counted that. Conversely, on Saturday I had a piece of fruit between runs, and a load of gels and a banana during my run, but I wouldn't count those as snacks as they were part of my running nutrition plan for the day. I'm also a bit worried that this will encourage me to have one snack, on a day where I might not have had any. Overall I think I'm just going to have to be as honest to the spirit of the goal as possible, at least until I can think of a better metric that is no more effort to track.

Exercise every day - 10XP

This is something I pretty much do anyway, but it's just to make sure that I don't skip a workout on a weekend, or that if I have to rearrange things on a weekday I actually do rearrange them. The general plan is Crossfit Monday, Wednesday, Friday, running Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and bouldering on Sunday, but as long as I'm doing something it's all good.

7/7 = 100%. All good here. I didn't run on Sunday, but as I climbed in the morning I still ticked the box for the day.

Overall a decent zero week, and I'm happy to carry my goals forward into the challenge proper. Weight at the start of week zero was 12 stone 3 (171#, ~77.6kg), and at the start of week 1 is 12 stone 1 (169#, ~76.7kg). There's no way of drawing any conclusion from 1 week of data, but I'm still pleased it went in that direction.

• Like 2

Level 17 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler