This is a simple carry-forward of the goals I set last time after the house-sale goals were met. There are two groups of goals: habits and pre-move goals. Basically, my habits were abandoned while all my free time went to preparing the house for sale and purging, sorting, and packing, so I need to rebuild them. And there are a bunch of things I want to do here before our move-out date (which is just a week after the end of this challenge), so I have made a mini bucket list of sorts for this location.

Copy-pasted, because why reinvent the wheel?

Habits I would like to rebuild:

• exercise. The every-day-at-the-same-time-do-something scheduling was good. Need to revive it.
  • fiddle practice. In all my packing, I left my fiddle accessible for a reason. I've been holding onto the library book for a reason. My subconscious wants this to happen.
  • daily walks. This makes me feel better about everything, whether the day is going well or poorly. And I get to enjoy the beautiful summer weather to boot.

That's a good place to start. Will revisit next week to see if any additions are warranted.

Things I would like to do before I leave in September:

• swim across the river. I've wanted to do this for years but never tried it. There's a public boat launch on the other side, so it's not even like it would be a weird infringement on someone's property/privacy. There's just a lot of boat traffic, so it can be a bit dangerous. But I saw someone doing it last week, so it can be done if you pick your times well. (Btw, I am not a strong swimmer. This would be a lifejacketed or something-floaty-holding swim.)
  • canoeing. Moar canoe! I have barely canoed for the last few years. I will still be able to canoe at the new place, but the scenery will be different. Time to explore the nooks and crannies here for (probably) the last time.
  • plant milkweed seeds. I collected a crazy amount of seeds last summer when I was royally pissed that the city kept mowing them down for basically no reason. They have been mowed to death before, and the seeds can't quite spread to places where they would thrive on their own due to the prevailing winds. I have a whole bunch processed and ready to spread when the timing is right. If I do this right, it will survive me and the local monarchs will have a little bit of a refuge where they won't risk being chopped up by a stupid mower.
  • sleep outside. Maybe tents, maybe not. (Probably yes. Because mosquitoes.)
  • more walks, including night walks. I don't know where I will be able to take walks at night in the deep dark at the new house, but I will try to find a place! They are wonderful in ways I have trouble putting into words.
  • maybe stargazing? It could also be a thing to look for at the new house, but we deal with heavy light pollution from the north here, so 🤷‍♀️. New house might actually be better, who knows.
  • scatter some of my father's ashes.

This list also might grow.

• Like 10
  • That's Metal 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38 

Made the first tick on the list today. My son and I were going to do the swim-across-the-river thing, but realized a little late that he has nothing that can be used as swim trunks. So we put that off, and canoed instead.

We have a creek almost directly across from us, which means we have three directions in which we can canoe, and we intend to hit all of them in the coming weeks. Today, we went straight across and down the creek. It was a lovely day for it, not too hot, a slight breeze to our faces (which makes getting home that little bit easier). We went far enough to go under two bridges, then decided that was far enough with the clouds coming in. It was probably around three kilometres over two hours. We saw a heron fishing in a little bay off the creek, standing so still it looked like a statue. A little turtle sunning itself on a log, which was still there when we headed back,so I guess that was its day all planned out. Other than that, it was just pleasant time outdoors together, chatting, laughing over the occasional splash, and so on. A very nice area, and we had it almost entirely to ourselves. The other two directions are on the main river, which means it's wide enough and straight enough that there can be quite a bit of motorboat traffic, which is less fun when you are a canoe. The creek near where we are moving is more like the creek we were on today, but with access to the main river as well. Should be nice canoeing. :) We turned around at the right time too, because about 30 minutes after we got back it started pouring.

Exercise: canoeing. My arms ache despite not feeling like I was working very hard at the time.

Walk: probably not today, because my legs are stiff too, and the bottoms of my feet are a bit sore too (I've been trying out some different walking techniques and it's working different muscles).

Fiddle: later.

A decent start. :)

• Like 10

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38 

Jealous of the canoeing.... not the effort it takes, just that lovely feel of gliding on the water.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Following along again.  That canoe activity sounds like it was good fun :) 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

2 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Jealous of the canoeing.... not the effort it takes, just that lovely feel of gliding on the water.

And that satisfying hiss as you slide over the weedier areas.

24 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Following along again.  That canoe activity sounds like it was good fun :) 

It really was. It's one of those things that you enjoy immensely while doing it, but rarely make the time for (or think of doing) in the regular day to day.

• Like 3

We only have one place to canoe, and it's so busy. With so much tourists, it's no fun. We did Canoe once in The South of Belgium. And that was fantastic.The sun was countered by some clouds occasionally to make the weather quite perfect. We also brought some beers. Not sure where i was going with this....

Enjoy quiet canoeing ;) 

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ohhhh is this what I did wrong when I tried canoeing and found it really boring? :D

It is usually a traditional part of the experience, yes. :D

18 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Yeah, I haven't been since I was a kid.  Now I kind of miss it. It's not even an effort, really, just a nice frictionless glide over the water... maybe through some water lilies if you hit the right patch of lake...

I would gladly move somewhere where I could run errands by canoe.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

17 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

We only have one place to canoe, and it's so busy. With so much tourists, it's no fun. We did Canoe once in The South of Belgium. And that was fantastic.The sun was countered by some clouds occasionally to make the weather quite perfect. We also brought some beers. Not sure where i was going with this....

Enjoy quiet canoeing ;) 

Definitely way less fun with a lot of people around. It's the nature that makes the experience.

Also pretty sure that drinking while canoeing would be illegal here under the drinking and driving laws.

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ohhhh is this what I did wrong when I tried canoeing and found it really boring? :D 

Love the list!

Were you canoeing somewhere interesting? It's like walking - if you hike somewhere where you see cool stuff and feel like you're exploring, it's fun. If you're walking laps of a shopping mall, boring.

5 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

It is usually a traditional part of the experience, yes. :D

Yeah, I haven't been since I was a kid.  Now I kind of miss it. It's not even an effort, really, just a nice frictionless glide over the water... maybe through some water lilies if you hit the right patch of lake...

I would gladly move somewhere where I could run errands by canoe.

My shoulders are disagreeing with your "It's not even an effort". :D

When I was a kid, we used to canoe across the river, stow the canoe at the bottom of the bridge, and get chocolate and ice cream at the general store (which was pretty much the only store in that town).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's not going to be much in the way of real update today. Late work + D&D = no time to do things.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

My shoulders are disagreeing with your "It's not even an effort". :D

I was an otter as a child. There's nothing that can be done in boats that isn't great. :D

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

15 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Were you canoeing somewhere interesting? It's like walking - if you hike somewhere where you see cool stuff and feel like you're exploring, it's fun. If you're walking laps of a shopping mall, boring.

As interesting as Finland gets. 😛 It was pretty and all, but it got boring pretty quickly. At least when walking you can poke things and there's terrain to make it more interesting. In a kayak it's all the same and I didn't enjoy being stuck in the same position for that long. I'd absolutely kayak to get ice cream though. 😄

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

As interesting as Finland gets. 😛 It was pretty and all, but it got boring pretty quickly. At least when walking you can poke things and there's terrain to make it more interesting. In a kayak it's all the same and I didn't enjoy being stuck in the same position for that long. I'd absolutely kayak to get ice cream though. 😄

I think some people are fascinated by leaves, and others by fluid dynamics. I could stare at the water swirls around the paddle all day. Probably it's genetic, like cilantro tasting.

Ice cream is a good motivation for most things, let's be honest. But also a bad motivation for most things. Stupid ice cream.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I was an otter as a child. There's nothing that can be done in boats that isn't great. :D

Now I'm remembering a certain saying I know about Canadians and canoes. I have questions.

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Kayaks are more restrictive. At least you can move around a little in a canoe. And I wouldn't say there was no terrain - we had to steer to avoid the weedy parts, and we were, ah, a little inexperienced. We may have hit land a few times...

10 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Oh such lovely goals!

Especially the milkweed seeds one. ❤️ 

Canoeing sounds like a relaxing kind of fun. You should do it more often. :D

Milkweed goal will fall towards the end of the challenge, but I'm looking forward to it. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walk: yes

Exercise: oh crap

Fiddle: um, maybe after this post?

Rest of list: no

I solemnly swore my son that we would sort kitchen stuff today, so that is what we did. I now have canning jars, a few odd categories of clothes, and a few boxes of mostly Commodore 64 disks and maybe a few other Commodore oddments. That's it. (I know I have summed up the remainder of the sorting about a million times already, sorry!) Anyone happen to want Commodore 64 disks???

It has been a fairly boring day, truly. Just little bits on things here and there, and none of it really worth writing about. I plan on more of the same before bed. I lead an exciting life, you see. :D

• Like 6

9 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Anyone happen to want Commodore 64 disks???

You might look to see if the Computer History Museum wants them (https://computerhistory.org) Otherwise, that might be a hard sell 😜 

It's not canoeing, but I'm looking into kayak classes on the bay. You might have inspired me to move more on that!

• Like 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

12 hours ago, Rookie said:

Not gonna lie lol it sounds like you are leaving paradise. But maybe to a better paradise? SHOW ME YOUR WAYS.

Did you fiddle after that last post? :P

It is very beautiful here for sure. There are things I will be sad to be giving up - my family owned this property since before I was born, so there are memories here. But there are absolutely downsides too, especially given that I don't drive. It is 2km round trip just to my mailbox, and 10 round trip to the nearest town with any shops to speak of (about 2500 people). And that town is basically a bedroom community close to the big city, so it has minimal shops and services. New town will be more like 4000-5000 people, and the seat of its government and shopping destination for all the surrounding towns, so it has more in the way of shops and amenities than its population would suggest. I should still have easy access to the river and to nice places to walk in nature all by myself, so fingers crossed it will be improving the downsides without completely sacrificing the good things. The only bit I'm a little concerned about is that someone told me it is a "very protestant" town, which I suspect is hinting at more than the religious affiliation of the community. But we will not go in predicting problems, eh?

And regarding the fiddling,

er, um, ah...

Look, a squirrel!

11 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

You might look to see if the Computer History Museum wants them (https://computerhistory.org) Otherwise, that might be a hard sell 😜 

It's not canoeing, but I'm looking into kayak classes on the bay. You might have inspired me to move more on that!

A lot of them are bootlegs copies, I think. Probably destined for the trash bin. I might keep one or two for nostalgia value and because they have my father's handwriting on the labels.

Kayak is fun too! I haven't done it much, but the basic principles are the same. Probably a bit easier, actually. Have you tried it before?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walk: nope, it was supposed to thunder shower, and it still looks like I could get caught in something.

Exercise: not yet, but I really feel like it. Finished the work day a bit sad for no discernible reason, so a bit of movement is bound to do some good for the mood.

Fiddle: yes! Realized that I had been forgetting to tighten up the bow and was playing on very slack strings. It sure feels different when you tighten it, though I think I play a bit better when it's on the soft side to be honest.

List: most of my stuff assumes that it is not raining. I have a book on stargazing that I'm going to have a flip through tonight.

Probably will keep picking through my sorting and todos tonight. Maybe some puzzles; I'm not feeling super energetic. Tomorrow, more audio stuff. It's supposed to rain for the next few days, so the bucket list will likely not progress.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

New town will be more like 4000-5000 people

Wow, you will finally be in a town with more people than my apartment complex :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Wow, you will finally be in a town with more people than my apartment complex :P 

We truly live in different worlds, friend.

8 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Fiddling sounds amazing! Have you picked up the fiddle yet?

Physically picked up today? Yes. Picked up the technique? It's a work in progress. I'm still a pretty godawful beginner. :D

• Like 3

It is very beautiful here for sure. There are things I will be sad to be giving up - my family owned this property since before I was born, so there are memories here. But there are absolutely downsides too, especially given that I don't drive. It is 2km round trip just to my mailbox, and 10 round trip to the nearest town with any shops to speak of (about 2500 people). And that town is basically a bedroom community close to the big city, so it has minimal shops and services. New town will be more like 4000-5000 people, and the seat of its government and shopping destination for all the surrounding towns, so it has more in the way of shops and amenities than its population would suggest. I should still have easy access to the river and to nice places to walk in nature all by myself, so fingers crossed it will be improving the downsides without completely sacrificing the good things. The only bit I'm a little concerned about is that someone told me it is a "very protestant" town, which I suspect is hinting at more than the religious affiliation of the community. But we will not go in predicting problems, eh?

Oh bittersweet indeed! It will be good to have more things accessible to you. Not gonna lie.. I would be mighty tempted to ride my horse everywhere in your current place LOL "Oh I just need to go to the coffee shop." -saddles up- 

That does sound concerning but you can't know until you see it for yourself :) Someones definition of "very" might end up being your "kind of" :P

Either way I am living vicariously through you lol. I want so bad to move somewhere quieter with less people. My city has 69.5k people which is still on the small side compared to the surrounding areas lol but still too big for this girl born with a country heart. 

And regarding the fiddling,

er, um, ah...

Look, a squirrel!

squirrel GIF

Maybe you could make a band with this squirrel lol

• Like 3

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

On 7/29/2021 at 1:00 AM, sarakingdom said:

I think some people are fascinated by leaves, and others by fluid dynamics. I could stare at the water swirls around the paddle all day. Probably it's genetic, like cilantro tasting.

Ngl, one of the times we almost crashed into shore was because my son, the steerer, was distracted by the whirlpools the paddles were making.

18 hours ago, Rookie said:

Oh bittersweet indeed! It will be good to have more things accessible to you. Not gonna lie.. I would be mighty tempted to ride my horse everywhere in your current place LOL "Oh I just need to go to the coffee shop." -saddles up- 

That does sound concerning but you can't know until you see it for yourself :) Someones definition of "very" might end up being your "kind of" :P

Either way I am living vicariously through you lol. I want so bad to move somewhere quieter with less people. My city has 69.5k people which is still on the small side compared to the surrounding areas lol but still too big for this girl born with a country heart. 

squirrel GIF

Maybe you could make a band with this squirrel lol

There is a horse-friendly path just a couple of km away... just saying...

Yes, I'm not too concerned yet. I've been to the town plenty of times, but living there can be a different experience.

Aw ❤️ There are lots of charming small towns out there. You just have to be good at finding your own fun, because it doesn't come ready-made. Maybe one day you'll find the perfect one for you. :)

That squirrel plays well beyond my abilities. Just look at his little hands fly!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walk: yes. Even though it was windy.

Exercise: yes. Just now. I delayed this post so I could say I did it.

Fiddle: I was going to delay the post till I did this too, but the exercise left me feeling a bit sick and headachey and now I don't want to.

I edited. There were bits where my performance was kind of crap, and bits where I nearly made myself cry (in a good way; there are sad moments). Still getting the hang of this, lol. Only light editing is needed at this point though. There is light at the end of this tunnel!

I Olympicked. All of Canada's medals are being won by women. :)

I also self-pitied for a bit, over stuff that is probably universal but at the time feels all poor poor me. Come now, self. You are not so special or hard done by. Does this ever make anything better? No, no it does not. Is it even true? Maybe. Probably. But does it matter?  Less ego, less self-absorption, less destroying your own self-esteem. Cool? Cool.

That's about it. The day seemed to fly from 2 to 4:30 to 8 to 12:30 with nary a blink between them. I genuinely do not know where the day went. And now my head hurts, so I am going to bed.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Yesterday's update:

Walk: yes

Fiddle: no

Exercise: no

Did computer stuff all day; very boring to read about. Left the fiddle and exercise till a particular task was done, but managed to give myself a killer headache before that, and then couldn't face either, and also couldn't face posting an update, so I just went to bed. Really must start letting my phone boss me around and do the things when they show up in my notifications.

Will try to do better today. Except probably no walk. Stupid rain.

Also, thought of one more thing to add to the bucket list. Scatter some of my father's ashes in this area. We lived here because of him and he loved it. I think he would like that.

• Like 3

Walk: no

Exercise: yes! I was on track to procrastinate and miss again, but I stumbled upon @Heidi's offer of mutual reminders at just the right time. It worked so well when I did a similar thing with @Scaly Freak way back when, I had to give it a try. It worked for today! The cat decided to assist too. She figured out that if she hangs around at the bottom of a single leg deadlift, she gets pets. :)

Fiddle: yes. I used the momentum of the exercise to fuel me down to the fiddle. I may have to rethink that - my legs weren't quite with me yet and I was not so steady on the stairs.

Early in the day I had my regular Sunday accountability group, but with an unusual twist. There wasn't a whole lot of business talk. One of the participants had taken his mother in to hospital with Covid a few days before, and she was on heavy oxygen and not really improving. She is not vaccinated and, by his telling, is part of a sort of cultish religious community and was sucked into the conspiracy theory end of the vaccine hesitancy spectrum. She made her choice I suppose, but it wasn't exactly an informed one. It's sad to see people duped like that, especially when it ends up putting their health at risk, and it must be especially hard when it is someone you care about but cannot get through to. She started asking for Pfizer after she was in hospital, but of course, that is not how it works. I hope that this will be a wake-up call to some of her family and community members. So that was not a great start to the day, though it was good to be able to listen and provide him some emotional support at what must be a very stressful time.

I spent rest of the day alternating between Olympicking, audio editing, and challenge catching-upping and intend to continue doing so until bedtime. Not the most physically active day.

• Like 5

Hooray for exercise and hooray for momentum! Honestly, when we set up the ping, I was all set to fall down a Twitter rabbit hole, so putting down the phone for my bedtime routine was a win for me, too!

I'm envisioning a land with ponds and creeks and trails and enough amenities nearby that @Rookie and I can saddle up and ride to town while @juliebarkley fiddles in the canoe.  Hens, too of course (no, not in the canoe, don't be daft!), and talented squirrels -- just lookit his toes!!

@juliebarkley, we have a lot of overlap this round with exercise and walking. Looking forward to cheering you on.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent