The Three Trials of Brovatar Korra

This is a throwback! My very first challenge I posted on NF was in February 2013. I had just started lifting and was living that Stronglifts 5x5 life. It is crazy to think I'm still in love with throwing heavy things around 8 years later. And still doing NF challenges!

The previous challenge was my first one back in a long time. I focused on rebuilding some basic healthy habits, this challenge will be to solidify and expand on those habits. I am working on a longterm weight loss plan so I can show off all these muscles I've built over the years.  So far this year I have lost 16 pounds (239 lb -> 223). My ultimate goal is to lose 25-30 more so I can walk around in the 198 lb (90kg) class.  It will take the time that it takes. So I will do as many NF challenges as I can along the way!

Trial the First: Feats of Strength!

Follow training program (4 sessions per week) which is 5/3/1-ish. I will include more details at the bottom of the post for those interested.

+1 EXP for each session completed (20 possible)

e441320298331a87a22cb2b26e63e3c3.gif

Trial the Second: Feats of Sustenance! 

Eat at least 120g of protein per day.

+1 EXP for each day goal is hit (35 possible)

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95217a8a32eb9b9e8986d

Trial the Third: Feats of Endurance!

Walk >9,000 steps daily

+1 EXP for each day goal is hit (35 possible)

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952c4d11eb8da32658979

If I am able to get at least 80/90 points I will do something nice for myself. I haven't decided what yet.

My training program:

- 4 sessions per week focusing on a main lift (OHP, SQ, BP, DL)

- Following 5/3/1 percentages (Week 1 3x5 65/75/85; Week 2 3x3 70/80/90; Week 3 75/85/95; Week 4 deload)

- Instead of doing the 3rd set as AMRAP, I do a 4th set for AMRAP in the 60-70% range

- On the third week (5/3/1) instead of AMRAP I do top singles

- 3-4 accessories per lift, usually in the 8-20 range and using double progression (8-12 for things like compound DB movements, 15-20 for isolation work)

- Also I change/omit/add things when needed, but this is the nuts and bolts

- I don't expect to hit any lifetime PRs or build new muscle while training in a deficit, but I have a lot of previously built strength I can recover along the way!

• Like 3

Powerlifter, Strongwoman, Pharmacist, Earth bender, Mom, Iowan, Pianist, Gloomhavener, Madeira enthusiast, Apex Legend, Flexitarian, Combat veteran, Occasional Twitter troll, Watches too many reality cooking shows

7/27 Workout:

OHP 45x5, 55x3, 65x3, 75x3, 80x3x2, 65x10 (AMRAP, beat least week's by one rep)

Recline Row 3x8

BP (feet up) 45x10, 65x10, 80x10x2

Lateral Raises 5lb 3x15

I discovered some Indian Clubs hiding in the closet and used them for warm-up and cool-down.

I did this workout at home - I am very disheartened by the delta variant spreading out of control, and the latest news that even people who are vaccinated can carry high viral loads and spread/transmit the virus. I will be doing all of my workouts at home for the time being. Unless I have the energy to go at a really off time when I'll have the whole place to myself. I'll just have to get creative with my accessories.

It stinks because I had just re-established the habit of going to the gym regularly and working out 4 days per week. And I love going to the gym, I will miss it. But...

tenor.gif

• Like 1

Powerlifter, Strongwoman, Pharmacist, Earth bender, Mom, Iowan, Pianist, Gloomhavener, Madeira enthusiast, Apex Legend, Flexitarian, Combat veteran, Occasional Twitter troll, Watches too many reality cooking shows

4 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

I am very disheartened by the delta variant spreading out of control, and the latest news that even people who are vaccinated can carry high viral loads and spread/transmit the virus. I will be doing all of my workouts at home for the time being. Unless I have the energy to go at a really off time when I'll have the whole place to myself. I'll just have to get creative with my accessories.

It stinks because I had just re-established the habit of going to the gym regularly and working out 4 days per week. And I love going to the gym, I will miss it. But...

I'm really torn, myself. I've been so good about lockdown since last March, man. I want to go out somewhere other than my damn apartment. But I also don't want to contribute to the problem, and I know it's not really that under control where I am. I've just started going back to my building's small gym, and there's never more than one other person there, so we're fairly well distanced, in general. I'm trying to figure out if this is a reasonable risk. I'm vaccinated and very unlikely to be carrying anything from outside vectors. But I could in theory pass it from one gym attendee to another, if one of them isn't vaccinated. I think it's reasonable distancing, though. Two people in that room, it's unlikely we're ever within ten feet of each other for long. And half the time, I'm in there alone.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 7/28/2021 at 1:11 AM, sarakingdom said:

I'm really torn, myself. I've been so good about lockdown since last March, man. I want to go out somewhere other than my damn apartment. But I also don't want to contribute to the problem, and I know it's not really that under control where I am. I've just started going back to my building's small gym, and there's never more than one other person there, so we're fairly well distanced, in general. I'm trying to figure out if this is a reasonable risk. I'm vaccinated and very unlikely to be carrying anything from outside vectors. But I could in theory pass it from one gym attendee to another, if one of them isn't vaccinated. I think it's reasonable distancing, though. Two people in that room, it's unlikely we're ever within ten feet of each other for long. And half the time, I'm in there alone.

It is very tough, especially for those of us who have done the socially responsible thing all along. And now our glimmer of hope gets snatched away…

To compound to my frustration this week - I work in healthcare at a hospital and we have been busting our humps for the last 18 months. As a thank you, our employers are trying to implement this new “increased productivity plan” that is basically “thanks for working so hard During the pandemic - now we need to you to work even harder with no additional compensation.”

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck you. That’s what I have to say about that. I’m gonna keep taking care of my patients in the time that it takes to do it right,  and they can shove those productivity standards where the sun don’t shine. End of rant.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

14 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

It is very tough, especially for those of us who have done the socially responsible thing all along. And now our glimmer of hope gets snatched away…

It's upsetting. I guess it depends how things are looking in your area. I got the impression from conversations that the vaccines greatly reduce the chance of catching the virus (any variant); that the remaining small percent of people who catch it will likely get a mild version; and that the chance of passing it on to others is also reduced. And we have to take into account that stress and isolation are also bad for our health. Personally I'm leaning toward going back to the gym. Might check numbers in my area and latest info on vaccines versus the delta variant, though. And of course it matters that my social contacts are very limited, I don't go to work in an office, and I won't really be meeting many people to whom I could spread a virus even if I did catch it.

Anyway, whether you workout at home or a gym, happy powerbuilding and muscle revealing!

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

On 7/27/2021 at 10:01 PM, Brovatar Korra said:

7/27 Workout:

OHP 45x5, 55x3, 65x3, 75x3, 80x3x2, 65x10 (AMRAP, beat least week's by one rep)

Recline Row 3x8

BP (feet up) 45x10, 65x10, 80x10x2

Lateral Raises 5lb 3x15

I discovered some Indian Clubs hiding in the closet and used them for warm-up and cool-down.

I did this workout at home - I am very disheartened by the delta variant spreading out of control, and the latest news that even people who are vaccinated can carry high viral loads and spread/transmit the virus. I will be doing all of my workouts at home for the time being. Unless I have the energy to go at a really off time when I'll have the whole place to myself. I'll just have to get creative with my accessories.

tenor.gif

I miss the gym too. PreCovid I was getting there 3-4 days a week too. I tried going last month and despite being slow it was still too packed for my liking.  And with this delta variant and nearly 95% of people walking around maskless  even in stores I am super skiddish . So at home I stay. And I try not to blow my paycheck on home gym equipment. 

Make It Rain Money GIF

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Anyway, whether you workout at home or a gym, happy powerbuilding and muscle revealing!

Thank you!

I was short on time yesterday evening so did an abridged workout:

7/29:

KB Squats 15lb 3x10

Seated Banded Hip Abduction 3x15

Bird Dogs 3x10

Bench Press 45 lb 3x10

Baby Brovatar no longer fits into her 6-9 month clothes! Moving up a size range has been emotional for me every single time. So many new cute things to wear, but so many cute things "Gone forever"

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I was able to get off work early today so I was able to go to the gym before rush hour(s) started!

7/30 Workout:

Belt Squats 95x5, 115x3, 135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 185x3, 195x3x2

Lat Pulldowns 30x10, 40x10, 50x10, 60x11x3

Leg Extensions 30x10, 40x10, 50x10, 50x11, 50x15

Leg Curls 30x10, 40x10, 50x10, 50x11, 50x15

Happy with how the belt squats went. Weight is still creeping downward but I think I'm definitely getting closer to an isocaloric balance. 

A yoga/mobility/stretching session this weekend sounds pretty good and probably overdue.

raw

• Like 2

7/31 Workout:

BP 45x10, 65x5, 85x3, 105x3, 115x3, 125x3, 135x3, 105x16 (AMRAP) - New AMRAP best so far this year

Seated Rows 40x10, 50x10, 60x11x3

Incline DB BP 22.5x10, 25x10, 30x10x2

Bicep Curls 12.5lb 3x14

Tricep Pushdowns (Green Band) 3x16

8/01 Workout:

Sumo DL 55x5, 89x3, 109x3, 135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 185x3

Leg Extensions 30x10, 40x10, 50x10, 60x10x3 - Moved up to the 60 lb for the first time this year

Leg Curls 30x10, 40x10, 50x10, 60x10x3

Reverse Hypers (BW) 4x10

I didn't do any structured yoga per se, but I did roll around on the bedroom floor in baby pose for a solid 5 minutes 

200.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

I didn't do any structured yoga per se, but I did roll around on the bedroom floor in baby pose for a solid 5 minutes 

200.gif

Sounds very beneficial for the back. Serious yoga stuff for sure.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

8/03 Workout:

Strict OHP 45x5, 55x5, 65x5, 75x3, 80, 85, 90, 95x1

Inverted Rows (BW) 3x8

Feet up BP 55x10, 75x10, 85x10x2

Face Pulls (red band) x30 (high/med/low)

I'm happy I completed this workout at home despite really not feeling it. Nothing to write home about, but I did the thing!

I hit 8k steps daily last challenge no problem, usually averaging 10-11k steps daily. But for some reason already this week 9k is a struggle. I managed to hit it today but only with some concerted effort. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

I'm happy I completed this workout at home despite really not feeling it. Nothing to write home about, but I did the thing!

These are often the most important workouts to get in, well done! 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current hiding out in a battle log: KB Girl's journal

my instagram - my gym's instagram

8/05 Workout (at home):

I felt very stiff and hips were tight, I didn't know what to do besides keep doing warm-up sets until things felt better, hence the ridiculous amount of singles. Happy with this top single though. Looking back through my workout log - this is the heaviest weight I've hit since March 2020.

Squats 45x5, 55x5, 65x3, 75x3, 85, 95, 105, 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165x1

8/07 Workout (gym):

BP 45x10, 65x6, 85x6, 105x3, 125x2, 135, 145, 150, 155, 160, 165x1

Seated Row 40x10, 50x10, 60x12x3

Incline DB BP 25# 3x12

Karlsen Flys 10# 3x10

Tricep Pushdowns (Green Band) 3x20

Not as much movement on body weight this week compared to last week but still moving in the right direction! (222.7 -> 221.9)

Week One Recap:

1. 4/4 points for training!

2. 6/7 points for protein!

3. 7/7 points for steps!

Baby Brovatar was supposed to be enjoying a visit from grandma later this month, but due to the rapid increase in cases we've decided to postpone. I am super bummed about it and I wish people (who can be vaccinated) would just go get vaccinated already so we can end this thing.

image.png.2eaab076a7a11f55c4b8ee6449acd201.png

• Like 1

8/08 Workout:

Sumo DL 55x5, 89x3, 109x3, 129x3, 135, 155, 175, 185, 195, 205, 215, 220 (new PR for this year woohoo)

Lat Pulldowns 60# 3x12

Leg Extensions 50# 3x12

Leg Curls 50# 2x12

Hypers (BW) 3x10

Phew time for a deload week and some relaxing.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Congrats on both PRs :) 

On 8/8/2021 at 3:51 AM, Brovatar Korra said:

Baby Brovatar was supposed to be enjoying a visit from grandma later this month, but due to the rapid increase in cases we've decided to postpone. I am super bummed about it and I wish people (who can be vaccinated) would just go get vaccinated already so we can end this thing.

that sucks, sorry :(

• Like 1

I've really embraced this deload week. It worked out well because things were bonkers at work. I did my first of four planned workout sessions, but so far that's it. I'll do at least one more tomorrow. Maybe just start fresh next week.

I had several things planned before this new outbreak - I was meaning to get around to getting my hair cut, going to the dentist, going to the optometrist.... now I'm just tempted to put it all off again until cases are on the decrease again... but at this rate it might be another 6 months! Oh well if those stay my biggest problems I think I'll be just fine.

I'm trying to break my habit of doomscrolling before bed by reading again.  It is a very hard habit to break though. This has been me all week.

drawn-to-doom-nhmag-illustration.jpg

Okay Week 2 Recap:

1. 3/4 points for training

2. 6/7 points for protein

3. 6/7 points for steps

Brings the total to 32 out of 36 points. I wasn't really happy about this but Mr. Brovatar says I'm being too hard on myself. Time to get ready for a new mesocycle. 

hell-yeah-yeah.gif 

What a week!

There were 4 COVID patients in our hospital as of Thursday, I suspect there will be more by Monday. Local schools open on 8/23, so within a week, maybe two, there will be lots of quarantines and shut-downs (I live in one of those "no mask mandate states...." which means many of my colleagues will have to stay at home to figure out childcare. It is going to stretch us thin in a hurry. There is absolutely nothing I can do to prevent it.... just watch it all unfold in this dumb state.

Better news - I have completed 3 of my 4 weekly workouts, and should have time to knock out the last one tomorrow. I took two days off next week for when my mom was coming to visit. We called off the trip, but I'm still taking my days off. Looking forward to extra snuggle time with baby brovatar. Attaching a picture because she was being just so darn cute this morning.

Spoiler

BB.jpg

• Like 1

Phew, survived another week! This week's workouts:

8/17/21:

OHP 45x5, 55x5, 65x5, 75x5, 80x5, 70x5, 60x6

Bar Pulls (BW) 3x8

Feet Up BP 60lb 3x10

8/20/21:

Leg Ext 30x12, 40x12, 50x12x3

Leg Curls 30x12, 40x12, 50x12x3

Dead Bugs 3x10 (each side)

Lat Pulldowns 40x12, 50x12, 60x12x3

8/21/21:

BP 45x10, 65x5, 85x5, 105x5, 125x5, 130x5, 120x5, 105x15 (AMRAP)

Incline DB Pres 20x10, 22.5x10, 25x10, 30x10

Tricep Rope Pulldowns 20# 3x15

Bicep Curls 10# 3x15

8/22/21:

Sumo DL 55x5, 75x5, 110x3, 135x5, 145x5, 155, 165, 175x3 (3 singles)

I was originally planning to do more here but the gym became uncharacteristically crowded on a Sunday afternoon so I skedaddled out of there.

Week Three Recap:

1. 4/4 points for training

2. 7/7 points for protein

3. 6/7 points for steps

Total is now 49 out of 54 points.

Weight Update:

I will admit not being as "on point" with my diet as I have been in previous weeks. So I'm not surprised weight is relatively unchanged. Here are the 7 day averages:

Four weeks ago - 223 lb

Three weeks ago - 221.5 lb

Two weeks ago - 220.3 lb

Past week - 220.0 lb

Here's to hoping I survive my upcoming short work week. 

tumblr_nkz1gzalj31upy144o1_400.gif

I've got 2 of my 4 workouts in so far this week. I missed a day or two of step goals and broke my 72 day streak, boo.

It sounds like the hospital I work at is going to reconsider offering telework to people who can do their jobs remotely. Nothing is official yet but fingers crossed! Routine COVID test yesterday was negative, woohoo! That is what I expected but it is still nice to see.

I woke up this morning  and the scale said 217.7 lb, which, as I like to say to my husband, is "a new low for me" this year. Total of 21.5 lb lost since April. And I'm enjoying a 3 day weekend, so all things considered there are a lot of small victories here.

8/26/21:

OHP 45x5, 55x5, 65x3, 75x3, 80x3, 85x3, 90x3, 92x3 (woohoo! Best triple I've done all year)

Lat Pulldowns 40x12, 50x12, 60x10x3

Feet Up BP 45x10, 65x10, 85x10, 95x10

Banded Face pulls 20x2

8/27/21:

SKWAATS 45x5, 65x3, 85x3, 105x3, 125x3, 145x3, 155x3 (woohoo! Again best triple I've done all year)

Leg Ext 40x12, 50x13x3

Leg Curls 40x12, 50x13x3

I've been listening to the Secular Buddhism podcast and I think it has been very beneficial for helping me navigate all of this renewed anxiety. Don't worry it's still there. But I feel more like it is just one part of me, rather than overshadowing and consuming  everything about me.

• Like 2

One more week survived, one more to go!

8/28/21:

BP - worked up to 135x3, 140x3, 145x3

Incline DB BP - 20x12, 22.5x12, 25x12, 30x12

Seated Cable Row - 60# 3x12

Close grip BP 45# 3x15

8/29/21:

Sumo DL - worked up to 185x3, 195x3

Leg Ext - 50# 3x15

Leg Curl - 50# 3x15

Bicel Curls 12.5# 3x12

Week Four Recap:

1. 4/4 points for training

2. 5/7 points for protein

3. 5/7 points for steps

Total is now 63 out of 72 points.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 4:16 AM, Brovatar Korra said:

Attaching a picture because she was being just so darn cute this morning.

reacting a bit late, but that is very cute! 

On 8/27/2021 at 8:19 PM, Brovatar Korra said:

I woke up this morning  and the scale said 217.7 lb, which, as I like to say to my husband, is "a new low for me" this year. Total of 21.5 lb lost since April. And I'm enjoying a 3 day weekend, so all things considered there are a lot of small victories here.

this is excellent! 

On 8/27/2021 at 8:19 PM, Brovatar Korra said:

I've been listening to the Secular Buddhism podcast and I think it has been very beneficial for helping me navigate all of this renewed anxiety. Don't worry it's still there. But I feel more like it is just one part of me, rather than overshadowing and consuming  everything about me.

and this is perhaps even better :)