You know what, I figured if this whole “beware how you name your challenge” turns out to be true all the time, might as well use it from the start to leverage greatness. Your focus determines your reality and all that stuff.

I’ve been floundering for way too long, due to a combination of financial and mental health issues, on top of the obvious pandemic problem. These limited my options and severely undermined my willpower, which in turn made it really hard to focus on fitness, nutrition and working out. I was still around, because I know it’s better to hang around and stumble than disappear and go completely down the drain, but it’s high time this thing turned around.

Nutrition

Last challenge I was tracking my eating, just to get back into the tracking habit and to be slightly more mindful. This will continue, plus I’ll try to do more weighing and less eyeballing. I shall also post the results here, hoping for constructive criticism and suggestions from anyone who might want to bother telling me what I could do better. Some of the weak points I’ve identified are quantity control (whether that pertains to an entire meal or caloric-heavy ingredients like olive oil), poor breakfast options (because I rarely plan for it and putting together a meal from what’s available while sleepy and hungry isn’t helping), random snacking (especially inside the house, especially with sugary items available around) and alcohol (which I’m consuming socially, but still sometimes I’m having a beer when I don’t really feel like drinking, to the point where I can’t finish it). To sum up, I shall:

• Track my eating
  • Share the results here for accountability and suggestions
  • Be mindful of identified issues (Quantity, Breakfast, Sugary Snacking, Unwanted Alcohol)

Workouts

I really need to get back on the horse here. Not (just) to lose weight or look good or be strong, I literally need to move so that my body and mind will feel better. I’ve come to realize home workouts aren’t cutting it for me for a variety of reasons such as lack of space or proper floor surfaces. Also, my mind seems to work when there’s two things involved. One, I go through the process of putting on specialized clothes/gear and go to a place specifically intended for working out. Two, I do a workout that’s both intense and lasts more than 10-20’. For this challenge, I can’t commit to a certain facility, as there’s a good chance I’ll be visiting my hometown for a bit of vacation, but I can at least commit to be active in the aforementioned ways. If nothing else, both places (where I live and where I might visit) have places I can get a run in. Swimming in the sea will obviously count as a workout, if I can do that. In terms of time, I’ll let my body tell me when it needs a rest day, but in terms of keeping this consistent and making room for any unexpected events, I’ll follow the “never twice in a row” rule. To sum up, I shall:

• Aim for a long and intense workout every day, outside the house
  • Never miss two workouts in a row

Also, I’m pulling the trigger on that Forbidden Lands RPG narrative I talked about last challenge. I’ve read books, watched videos and ran some test games, to the point where I can confidently do this now. I’ll be putting the technical stuff and game rolls under spoilers, so you can either read the narrative alone or take a peek under the hood on how this system operates. If you need reference or it seems interesting enough for you to check out, the Quickstart pdf is available for free.

• Like 10

Ravenland is a ravaged and fragmented kingdom. The area where someone grew up is familiar to them, but the rest of the land they know only through stories and tales. During ten human generations, travelers were devoured by the Blood Mist, a red and ravenous haze that rose from the ground at night. Very few dared venture outside after nightfall and fewer still know for certain what lies beyond the horizon.

Recently, the Blood Mist disappeared without explanation, and everywhere people look over their shoulder anxiously. The bravest sharpen their blades and prepare to leave. They can’t bear the oppressive weight of their homes and hearths any longer. Perhaps they hope to find that which was lost and take back what was theirs. Perhaps they are simply driven by an insatiable lust to see what lies beyond the horizon, to discover if the myths are true, to conquer that which remains or has been stolen, and to carve out their own place as lords of some abandoned castle ruin.

Humans have inhabited the villages of Ravenland for generations, and still they are considered intruders by elves and dwarves, who have yet to forget the ancient and bloody wars between humans and the elder kin. The elves sent their servants, the orcs, to war, but left them on their own when the battles became too savage, a betrayal that lives on in the songs of the orcs.

The Blood Mist may be gone, but the land may have become even more dangerous because of it. In the last stages of the Alder Wars, when the king of Alderland beyond the wall sent armies to subdue his former governor, the spellbinder Zygofer, it is said that the wizard desperately opened gateways to demon worlds from which hordes of indescribable horrors poured out into the land. Many claim that the Blood Mist followed the invasion. What is certain is that one can run into horrifying beasts in the forests and among the ruins: completely alien or twisted combinations of various creatures that never should have existed.

It is said Zygofer is still alive, transformed into a demon and worshipped as a god by the priesthood of the Rust Brothers close to Alderstone in the west. There are whispers about half-demons and undead created to finally conquer Ravenland. At the same time, the elves are standing fast in the woods and the dwarves in their mountains, while orcs no longer serve or spare anyone. On the plains by the ocean in the east, forces are gathering to crush Zygofer once and for all, in the name of the old gods. Others simply want to live in peace – these may be the remnants of human settlements now living in

hidden villages, half-elf druids, the wolfkin of the woods, or halflings in their burrows.

Ravenland is holding its breath for tomorrow.

Genre/Tone: Sword & Sorcery

Core Concepts

• Humans came to these lands as intruders and are seen as such by the other races.
  • A supernatural phenomenon dubbed “The Blood Mist” kept everyone confined to their settlements for centuries, until recently. There has been no grand state or ruler, no communication and no one knows much about the world beyond their home town.
  • A large part of the game focuses on exploration, resource management and survival.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just here for some inspiration.

And it looks like i have found that!

The part that won me over!

26 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

it’s better to hang around and stumble than disappear and go completely down the drain, but it’s high time this thing turned around.

Its What We Do GIFs | Tenor

• Like 2

... a little odd in the head ...

1 hour ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I’ve been floundering for way too long

You have taken some hits but you are still on your feet

I get knocked down, but I get up again. - GIF on Imgur

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

use it from the start to leverage greatness.

This in itself is a bit of badassery. 

Nicely done, right out of the gate.

I like the focus. Breaking orbit from self-reinforcing negative patterns is a challenge of its own, and I'm here for this. Because when you're part.of the rebellion, you're never alone.

Dan Aykroyd Blues Brother GIF

• That's Metal 2

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

You've always been a badass, You've only forgotten. 

• Thanks 1
  • That's Metal 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

9 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

poor breakfast options (because I rarely plan for it and putting together a meal from what’s available while sleepy and hungry isn’t helping

I don't know how much you're bothered by eating boring food, but this is my breakfast solution: on Sunday I hard boil 15 eggs, and stick them in a Tupperware box. Every day breakfast is 3 boiled eggs, a banana, and a protein shake. It's not flashy or exciting, but I always know what I'm going to have and I don't have to make decisions in the morning.

10 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

You know what, I figured if this whole “beware how you name your challenge” turns out to be true all the time, might as well use it from the start to leverage greatness. Your focus determines your reality and all that stuff.

Before I even opened this thread your challenge title made me smile massively, so I think you've made an excellent choice here mate.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

9 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

It's like you've seen the place I live in...

Reveal hidden contents

!!

How cool is that?

Mission Reaction GIF

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

18 hours ago, Jarric said:

I don't know how much you're bothered by eating boring food, but this is my breakfast solution: on Sunday I hard boil 15 eggs, and stick them in a Tupperware box. Every day breakfast is 3 boiled eggs, a banana, and a protein shake. It's not flashy or exciting, but I always know what I'm going to have and I don't have to make decisions in the morning.

Not at all. Back when I lived alone and did the whole Zone Diet thing, I'd hit the farmers' market and butcher store on Saturday morning, then batch cook for the rest of my week. Ground beef, potatoes and eggs would go into an omelette that I'd split up in 4, having a quarter every morning (eggs and beef for protein, potatoes for carbs, any olive oil they soaked up while cooking for fat), then I'd make some protein-based stuff (beef patties/burgers, chopped up chicken breast etc) and some carb-based stuff (mashed potatoes, rice etc) and do various combinations for lunch/dinner throughout the week to mix it up, but I'm fine with boring meals. Obviously now that I live together with someone, this can't be my life, but now that I think of it, perhaps I could bring back the omelette for my daily breakfast...

• Like 6
1 hour ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Not at all. Back when I lived alone and did the whole Zone Diet thing, I'd hit the farmers' market and butcher store on Saturday morning, then batch cook for the rest of my week. Ground beef, potatoes and eggs would go into an omelette that I'd split up in 4, having a quarter every morning (eggs and beef for protein, potatoes for carbs, any olive oil they soaked up while cooking for fat), then I'd make some protein-based stuff (beef patties/burgers, chopped up chicken breast etc) and some carb-based stuff (mashed potatoes, rice etc) and do various combinations for lunch/dinner throughout the week to mix it up, but I'm fine with boring meals. Obviously now that I live together with someone, this can't be my life, but now that I think of it, perhaps I could bring back the omelette for my daily breakfast...

It's very similar for me actually - breakfast is always the same, but lunch and dinner have to vary because WW doesn't want to eat the same food 5 days a week.

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

17 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Obviously now that I live together with someone, this can't be my life, but now that I think of it, perhaps I could bring back the omelette for my daily breakfast...

16 hours ago, Jarric said:

It's very similar for me actually - breakfast is always the same, but lunch and dinner have to vary because WW doesn't want to eat the same food 5 days a week.

Breakfast is one meal that people don't mind being the same every day, and don't mind not eating as a family meal with everyone having the same thing. Which is useful to exploit for batch cooking.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

2nd of Summerwane, 1165 AS

Legend has it that over three centuries ago, there was a druid who, betrayed his order amidst the Alder Wars and fled their grove in search of an artifact that would help them rescue the one they loved most in this world.  According to the story, they travelled all the way to the other side of the Forbidden Lands, to some plains in the West, until they found a cave.  As the legend goes, they starved to death inside that cave as they were besieged by hungry, flesh eating goblins.

If you ask me, that's just another story for drunkards to whisper in taverns or for parents when they put kids to sleep. But Garmelda, she was fascinated by the tale. So much so that when the Blood Mist dissipated out of nowhere, she tried to talk me into chasing it. Now I'm no treasure hunter. I hunt whatever animals I can in these plains, trying to dodge the horse lords of the land and earn my meals. Maybe some coin on the side if I can sell a hide. But I never dreamed of hunting down treasure, or monsters. When Garmelda finally told me she was quitting the militia to head West, it wasn't the promise of treasure that made me tag along. It was curiosity. I too wanted to see the world past the few miles from the relative safety of our village and frankly, she could use someone to guide her along the way or provide food if supplies ran out before we could restock. Not that she needed much help besides that. She'd done her time as a sword arm and earned the name of Strongjaw for being able to take multiple solid punches to the face without even flinching. Frankly, it was me who could use her protection if it came to a fight, not the other way around. Travelling the Forbidden Lands alone was nothing short of suicide. My name is Bryce, and this is my story.

vczEPCe.jpg

We set out early in the morning heading West along the coast with forty or so days of summer still ahead. Neither of us had any clue how far West we were going, I was just hoping we'd make it there before winter. For now, we were just a few miles away from our homes. To me, it was familiar territory, so we had an uneventful trek. Well, at least up to the point where the fresh sea water started getting all murky and swampy. Garmelda wondered if we'd run into one of the saurians who were rumored to live in places like these, but it was a much more mundane swarm of mosquitoes that rushed in to greet us. I'm not talking the annoying ones you wave away either; these were a buzzing black cloud in mid air, the kind that crawl into your nostrils and mouth to the point where you have to spit them out. Fortunately, we got away with nothing more than a few itchy bites. Maybe they were full from a previous meal, or our blood was thicker than their usual prey. Whatever it was, I was just praying it was the end of it and those things weren't carrying some kind of swamp fever.

Challenge Day 1: Monday, August 2nd

Off to a pretty good start, I took the SRLF's cat to the vet for his final visit (at least before the vets take some time off). Last of the stitches were removed from his belly, as was the protective cone around his head, something he very much appreciated. With his stomach now seemingly operating normally, he is out of immediate danger, or as the vet put it "he gave St. Peter the middle finger". That's not to say he's 100% healthy, the degenerative disease in his blood breaking down his liver is still there and it's not treatable or even something he subdue and can live with, but at least he's not in immediate danger of dying or needing to be put to sleep. I also had to stop and take the SRLF's oldest cat with me on the way, as he had poop issues the night before, accompanied with some blood. Doc gave him an injection to help his bloated stomach calm down, but detected thick walls in his heart and a slow pulse. There's a chance he's dealing with myocarditis, but we'll do all the tests to detect it after the summer. Vet also said there's a good chance this old dude caught something off the three stray babies the SRLF's mom rescued recently. Which is all nice on its own, but given the overall situation (my cat is off with a friend, so we can keep the SRLF's sick cat alone at home, while her mom has their other 2 cats and now brought in 3 babies she can't keep or afford to support, on top of the stress, expenses and health risks of all the others) it's at least selfish and reckless. Anyway, not my mother so I can't say much, but it sure is affecting me indirectly.

The entire cat business occupied my entire morning, so I returned home to cook stuff and chill, before leaving to visit the house where my cat is being kept. The aforementioned friend is the one who used to live next door, so my cat is there with his bestie, but the guy had a scheduled a holiday week away before I asked him to assist, so I've agreed to visit his house and take care of both our boys while he's away. This has been going on since last Wednesday (and he's set to return Tuesday late at night) so I've been going there every day since, but this was the first time I wasn't in any rush to also do other things after, so I had a chance to make myself some coffee and chill with my cat for a while. With that in the bag, I got back home, gave the SRLF's cat his meds and ironed some clothes while watching some wrestling.

Breakfast: An omelet with one potato (180gr), 5 bacon strips (60gr) and 3 eggs

Snack: A soft mini taco shell with a slice of gouda and turkey ham

Lunch: Leftover chicken breast (320gr including skin and bones) with potatoes (115gr)

Dinner: Chicken shawarma wrap without the fries. SRLF couldn't finish off her own, so I had about 1/3 of her own, which was with bacon-wrapped chicken

Comments: I more or less followed the Zone Diet guidelines here, even though I didn't call it that nor did I put it as a challenge goal. I'm glad I had a hearty breakfast that kept me going till late and I took @Jarric's comment into consideration during today's events (more on tomorrow's update). Using a spoonful of oil for the omelet is bound to be a gamechanger compared to my usual habit of pouring oil straight out of the bottle and gauging how much is enough. Should make a difference in my caloric intake. I also completely avoided sugar and alcohol.

Workout: I meant to go for a run, but we got major heatwave warnings in the 40-45C (104-113F) so I decided to play it safe. In the spirit of never missing two workouts in a row though, I put my effort into making sure I'd be going to the beach for a swim the next day (spoiler: which indeed happened).

Feel free to comment on my eating and make suggestions on every post I make. Also, let me know what you think of the RPG narrative. The game breaks exploration into 4 parts every day (Morning, Day, Evening, Night) so I decided to narrate the events of each quarter with every challenge update. This was morning of the first day, travelling two hexes (I've used that bird token to track the path followed) and running into a mishap on the second. Let me know if you're interested in the game mechanics also, I could answer questions or include a spoilered "under the hood" section if you're interested in the underlying rules and rolls.

• Like 5

I really like the narrative, I'm already invested in seeing what happens.

• Thanks 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 7/27/2021 at 7:41 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You've always been a badass, You've only forgotten. 

Been a while since I've seen this one thrown around but, WHAT TANK SAID ™

I feel ya on several of these feels.  So definitely here to help drag ourselves up and out friend!!

• Like 3

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

As the summer sun rose high up in the midday sky, the heat hammered down on us. Neither our previous encounter with the mosquitoes nor trekking next to a swamp instead of a sea coast did make the experience any easier, or pleasant, but we pushed on. By the time Garmelda brought up her stomach's request to be filled with lunch, I could see something in the horizon. Down south in the distance, some kind of massive structure standing alone. Perhaps a tower or castle. We could probably reach it before nightfall, if we wanted to. Which, of course we wanted, but for different reasons.

NLjvLZL.jpg

Garmelda was hoping to seek refuge for the night from whoever occupied the structure, instead of having to sleep out in the open. Assuming they were in any way hospitable, or even open to negotiations. What if it was infested by monsters, I asked her. Why risk facing them and more importantly, if we had to retreat in order to lick our wounds, why spend the night in the plains in less than our full fighting capacity and with monsters likely on our trail to finish us off?

We had a few more hours of walking to argue and reach a decision before we'd come up to our destination.

Challenge Day 2: Tuesday, August 3rd

I hopped on the motorcycle, drove the SRLF to her new job and afterwards, continued on to a nearby beach. This was barely the third swim for this summer, something unthinkable for me a few years ago. Despite the heatwave, the water was cool and at some point, I even felt a little cold. I stayed in as long as I could, then took a break to have my morning coffee and dived again. All in all, two full hours very well spent. I should do this again.

On the way back, I stopped by the butcher to grab some ground pork, which I then cooked with potatoes and eggs in a big omelet, just like the one I told @Jarric a few posts earlier in this thread I used to make when I would batch cook. That's 500gr of meat, 6 eggs and 3 medium sized potatoes, which I split up into 5 portions. I then visited the house where my cat is being hosted, last time before the guy who lives there returns from his holiday. Sky was already dark and raining ash from the fire raging in the outskirts of town.

808x539_cmsv2_f327fb78-bdd5-53e2-b309-44

Fire is some 6-8 miles away from the Acropolis, so you can imagine

This was on top of the morning news of a man murdering his wife in cold blood, the 7th such case since the start of the year in what appears to be a rising trend. Between that and the fire, my mood was understandably depressed, despite the joy of my morning beach trip. We had plans to go to Sepolia, where Giannis was supposed to bring the NBA Cup for a celebration in the court where he first started playing basketball (which thb I found odd, given the wildfire situation) and as soon as we got there, we discovered he'd (thankfully) cancelled the event for a brighter day. Such a great guy.

Breakfast: Nothing. I was full from the night before and was about to swim anyway, so I skipped it.

Lunch: I sliced two eggplants and put them on grill, then topped them with two ground tomatoes and some crushed feta cheese. Laid the last of the leftover chicken on top (a thigh, 220gr including skin and bones) to heat it up, then served it with 220gr of the eggplant mix on the side.

Snack: Grabbed the remaining three slices of eggplant as a snack.

Dinner: Put a slice of gouda and 3 strips of bacon inside a wholegrain tortilla.

Comments: Good day overall, happy with how mindful I was with my eating. Consciously decided to skip dinner instead of munching on something, consciously avoided buying a fish or some meat for lunch since I had leftover chicken, consciously had something light for dinner.

Workout: As mentioned, had a good time swimming, which counts as my workout for the day. It wasn't overly intense, but it was extensive and I'm feeling some slight DOMS today.

• Like 9
18 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Fire is some 6-8 miles away from the Acropolis, so you can imagine

Wow, that is incredible.  It must be a truly massive fire.  We had a very large fire on the outskirts of town a few years back and it didn't give off nearly that much smoke.

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Wow, that is incredible.  It must be a truly massive fire.  We had a very large fire on the outskirts of town a few years back and it didn't give off nearly that much smoke.

It was (still is) massive, but sadly we get such fires every summer due to the combination of climate, vegetation and hungry "investors" waiting at the corner, regardless of who's been in the government. What makes this year's fires so outrageous is:

1. Government refusing to renew the contracts of 5.000 seasonal firefighters early this spring.
  2. ... while hiring an equal number of priests (yes, clerics are paid by the state here) and twice or thrice that number of police officers
  3. Government spending absolutely nothing on firefighting vehicles and equipment (much like they haven't spent anything to improved public healthcare during the pandemic),
  4. ... while spending tons on fighter planes, police scooters/motorbikes/cars/pickup trucks/vans/boats
  5. ... and also feeding the media with millions under the pretense of "anti-COVID ads" but actually buying out favorable coverage
  6. There was absolutely no wind blowing and the fire was left to burn for hours. Conditions were favorable to put it out, had there been a timely response
  7. The Prime Minister, who's been on holiday every weekend (even during lockdown, violating the measures he himself put in place) barely bothering to fly back to HQ after a day or two
  8. The media trying to salvage this mess by blaming "strong winds", then arguing that "no wind aids a fire" as if it works the same as candles on a birthday cake and generally painting a rather Orwellian image of a blatantly different "reality"
  9. Plus various other little details, but I've stuck to the major points

Oh, and there's also other fires raging, besides the one near Athens.

Evia-credit-Youtube-video-1024x549.jpg

Looks like a scene from Apocalypse Now, doesn't it?

• Sad 3
  • Wow 4

As we approached the ancient edifice still debating whether to immediately explore it or set up camp and bother the following day, we both paused on our tracks as soon as we saw its tattered crimson flags flying lazily in the summer breeze. There was no mistaking this place, its name whispered in fear long before me or Garmelda were even born. Spellblast Hold.

The wretched magical tower, said to have been erected and used way before humans even made their way into the Forbidden Lands, was rumored to have been used by Zygofer himself, but even he could not control its powers. Whether the arcane force was too much for someone like him or he tainted the energies further with his demonic summoning, Spellblast Hold was a cursed place to be avoided. Well, not by us, but the mere realization of what we'd stumbled upon was enough to plant the seed of doubt in the mind of Garmelda. She began to see the sense in my approach, but I had to throw in a little extra to swing her all the way to my side. I would set up camp while she slept off the exhaustion of the day's journey.

After pausing to have some water and dig into our rations, I offered her my sleeping fur, despite the weather still being relatively warm. Body temperature drops when asleep and the last thing we needed was her catching a cold out of sheer stupidity on our part. She took it and went to doze off under a tree, far enough to not be bothered by the noise I was making but close enough for me to keep an eye on her as she slept. Not that I had much to do since we hadn't brought a sleeping tent, just find a somewhat safe, defensible spot and build a firepit. I'd done it countless times before, I could have done it with my eyes closed. Unfortunately, Garmelda hadn't been that used to sleeping on the ground...

Challenge Day 3: Wednesday, August 4th

Spent the day mostly inside the house. On top of the heat, the air smelled of burnt wood and we actually got a warning by midday to keep everything shut and avoid going outside due to extremely high concentration of dangerous chemicals in the air.

Since I don't have much to say about the day, let me ramble a bit about the game/narrative. The basic Forbidden Lands box comes with a few pre-made locations (settlements, dungeons and towers) to be thrown in by the GM once players stumble upon something. That is to say, there's no pre-determined canon of a specific dungeon being in a specific hex on the map, which makes things more unpredictable. There's a few more locations added by the other books published, but overall it's a small pool (same goes for random encounters) and since I'm hoping to one day play this game with friends, I'd rather not spoil it for myself. On the bright side, dungeons in this game are loosely described in terms of zones, so a castle's entrance can be a single zone, or an armory with two adjacent barracks for the guards to sleep in can be broken down into 3 separate zones. This essentially means there's no need for a detailed map of the place, grids, tokens, measuring distances etc. making for a smoother, more abstract game and less tedious work on the GM's part. Which is great, because I suck at making maps and all that turn by turn detailed combat resolution mechanic might be ok around a table, but doesn't translate well to a narrative like mine. Either way, I'm using Jeremy Crawford's wonderful "Worlds Without Number" book (the fantasy version of Stars Without Number, which appeared on my January character creation challenge, if you'll remember) which is a wonderful creation toolbox and rolling on the tables there. That's what gave me the information about Spellblast Hold (though I did come up with the name after all the rolls) and its nature, so I'll take the next few days to flesh it out before Bryce and Garmelda can explore it.

Breakfast: A slice of my egg/potato/ground pork omelet.

Snack: A wholegrain tortillia with a slice of gouda.

Lunch: A corn on the cob, a small burrito and about 1/3 of the SRLF's leftover burrito. Those were pre-made I'd grabbed from the butcher shop, so they mostly had ground meat (mushed into one solid thing, ooph) with very little cheese or pepper, nothing like the ingredients I'd get in a homemade version or one I'd be getting if I ordered it at a restaurant.

Snack: Caved in and consumed a small slushie ice cream. According to the label, the entire thing had 47 calories, so not that bad.

Dinner: We got ourselves bao buns. I had one with crispy duck (no batter involved) and shared one that was mostly vegetables with the SRLF. Wasn't that filling, so I also had another corn on the cob.

Comments: Not textbook performance, but still within limits and quite mindful. I also forgot to note, I set my benchmark weight on Monday at 97,6kg and this morning (Thursday) the scale read 97kg so I'm on the right path, it seems.

Workout: Meant to go for an afternoon run, but decided it wouldn't be wise to work on my cardio when there was a warning for air quality up. Rest day means a visit to the beach was scheduled for the following one. Don't miss two in a row!

• Like 7
On 8/3/2021 at 5:28 PM, Starpuck said:

Been a while since I've seen this one thrown around but, WHAT TANK SAID ™

Me Too Samesies GIF

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: Keeps on Moving

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 62

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

By the time I was done setting up camp, a tired and defeated Garmelda walked up to me. She didn't have the energy to complain, so she just handed me the furs and rubbed her eyes. I could tell she hadn't gotten any quality sleep. Maybe she picked a spot that turned out to be uncomfortable, had too many bugs or animal noises, maybe she just wasn't used to not sleeping on a bed, whatever it was, I decided against asking her. Instead, I offered to stand guard through the night so she could get some proper sleep at the camp. Normally she'd at least object to save face, but she was too spent and simply thanked me. Figured I could make up for my lack of sleep the next morning, wouldn't hurt if we took our time till noon before exploring Spellblast Hold. Just as long as I didn't fall asleep on watch while something crept up on us...

Challenge Day 4: Thursday, August 5th

Went to the beach, but things just didn't feel right. The sky was cloudy from the fires (still raging btw), the sun was obscured and not shining with the heat that makes swimming feel cool in comparison, my right knee kept making cracking noises with each move, my right shoulderblade hurt and swimming didn't make it feel any better, the few people that were gathered at the beach were terrible... Long story short, I stayed in the water for a full hour and left, no coffee or second dip. Had to do some last chores, then cooked 4 different dishes at the same time, both as a shot at batch cooking while also using supplies before they go bad. Much ironing was done while watching the latest episode of AEW Dynamite, then I set out to meet some friends for a beer and catchup. SRLF was back late so we ended up booking our plane tickets around 2am, but they've been booked nonetheless and it looks like we'll be trying to experience something resembling a holiday next week.

Breakfast: A slice of my egg/potato/ground pork omelet, consumed after the beach trip.

Snack: A corn on the cob, while everything else was cooking.

Lunch: Spaghetti with chicken in a garlic lemon feta sauce.

Dinner: Spaghetti bolognese.

Snack: A single, small glass (330mL) of beer while out with friends. Didn't go overboard with the crisps on the side, didn't get a big glass, didn't order a second one.

Comments: Rather carb heavy day.

Workout: As mentioned, I took a trip to the beach and spent a full hour swimming.

• Like 9