[TrashcanCarla] The Storm is Passing

I am back again! That’s right. TrashcanCarla is ready to challenge herself once again. The last challenge didn’t go so great, but minor setbacks happen. I’m just finishing the fourth book of the Stormlight Archives and am inspired by Kaladin’s several comebacks, so I’m going to get Kaladin-y and make a comeback of my own.brandon-sanderson-fantasy-art-hero-kaladin-stormblessed-wallpaper-preview.jpg.423e55e3d7d1cb9d5876a31894877f25.jpg

artwork by Audrey Hotte @ayhotte

I learned something from my month of feeling down and unmotivated: I learned how essential that my physical health is to my mental health. That may seem like an obvious thing to learn, but I’m sure that I’m not alone in learning the same sort of thing repeatedly.

Since my physical health is demonstrably of paramount importance, I’m going to focus this challenge solely on it. I’m going to REBEL against my past period of lack of motivation and will move forward with my ongoing quest to improve my physical well being.

I’m going back to my XP system for this challenge, but will keep it simple and assign myself an award of points based on weekly reflection rather than day by day. I feel like hyper-tracking my progress won’t be helpful at this time.

GOALS

1.      Drink 96+ ounces of water daily – remind myself by wearing silicone wristbands.

2.      Go the gym most days of the week and do low-impact, recovering ankle friendly exercises.

3.      Track calories while aiming for balanced eating days. That means chill on the macros but use common sense – More veggies! Avoid ice cream! Avoid alcohol!

4.      Fit in a brief yoga session or meditative session as I will.

As far as XP goes: if I feel like I’ve aced the week I’ll give myself 40 points, if I’ve made a good effort and am making progress – 30 points, if I am not trying – 0 points. I figure that I’m either trying and making progress or I’m not.

Since this comeback push means a lot to me, I’m going to award myself two level ups if I earn more than 150 points over the 5 weeks and one level up if I earn more than 120 points over the five weeks. I feel like levelling up my life, so let’s do this!

I’m going to get started now during zero week. Let’s get warmed up!

• Like 2

Current NF Challenge: X

Level 3 Wasteland Traveling Merchant and Lamespren

Initial Character Build: S4 P5 E3 C5 I6 A3 L2 | Current Character Build: S4 P5 E4 C5 I6 A3 L2

Most recent perk earned: Life Giver

I have definitely relearned that physical health has an impact on mental health. Many times. Especially the exercise part. Just, when my depression hits extra hard, I lose all motivation and then totally forget about the things that will help.

How do the silicone wristbands work to remind yourself to drink water?

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

On 7/28/2021 at 3:49 PM, zeroh13 said:

How do the silicone wristbands work to remind yourself to drink water?

Thank you for commenting! I have used the wristbands in the past to represent my intention. So if I aim to drink 4 24 oz waters I start the day with four wristbands and remove one every time I drink a container's worth of water.

Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

Initial Character Build: S4 P5 E3 C5 I6 A3 L2 | Current Character Build: S4 P5 E4 C5 I6 A3 L2

So... it's been a few days since I posted last (okay - a week), but I still have this challenge firmly in mind. Whatever that means. The truth is, I haven't been doing great at this one. I still have faith that I can turn things around (uhh... the challenge just started). I just have been having trouble getting started.

I did go to the gym once - on Monday - but the past two days have had such a hard time getting up when my alarm goes off at 4:15am. My goal is to get up, drink a bit of coffee and then get to the gym for its 5am opening time. Based on what I saw on Monday, I am the only person at the gym who wears a mask. There aren't a ton of people there and the ventilation is good, but I'm not comfortable going sans mask considering my unvaccinated toddler at home. So maybe being the odd one out at the gym is a subconscious reluctance on my part to get up when the alarm goes off. As I write this, I recognize that I can do something else. After all, I did sign up for the month-to-month gym membership. Maybe I should just cancel and focus on quietly working out in our living room trying not to wake up my husband and son? Hmm... maybe. I signed up for the gym membership (it's $18 a month - thankfully quite affordable) when vaccination rates seemed to be climbing and the Delta variant was still only vaguely on my mind as something that might be tamped down before it got out of hand. HA! Not funny, actually. So, I could cancel my membership or just hold onto it for a couple of months and see what happens and eat the cost? I do so want to lift weights. GIVE ME FREE WEIGHTS!

Okay, complaining over. I don't need to detail my other lack of action in my goals.

+++

Here's the plan for today:

1. Drink my water! Put on those wristbands and take one off for every 24 ounce bottle I drink.
  2. Take the little guy for a stroller walk (my ankle feels pretty good today) for 30 minutes or so before the heat hits.
  3. Aim for a home workout (since I can't go to the gym today - my opportunity has passed) when the little guy takes his nap.
  4. Track my eats in the Cronometer app, good food or bad.

Okay! Onward.

• Like 1

Yeah, I totally get feeling like the odd one out when I’m doing the shopping. Which is the only reason I go anywhere right now. It can be both surreal and uncomfortable. But bringing the only one in my home fully vaccinated, and with delta… I’m with you. Not going to risk it.

Maybe you can try both the at home, and at gym workouts a few times. See what feels better for you?

Any time is a good time to turn a challenge around! 😊

• Like 1

It's week 2 of this challenge and... drumroll... I've been drinking more water! Yay! I'm feeling celebratory despite not having met my other goals, because I've learned that being down on myself about things I haven't accomplished is pointless. Those things equal zero. The undone doesn't exist, right? So why dwell on it? My intentions for this week are to focus on my eating and what I feel is most realistic to improve about my eating habits at this moment. No one is force feeding me, so all of my eating is under control.

The bracelets trick did work to help me remember to drink water, so I will certainly  keep that up. I can commit to not drinking alcohol and not eating desserts like ice cream (shakes fist at self!) this week. Tracking everything is also doable. I'm going to lean into self control at its most basic rather than pushing myself to get the tracking done every day, though. If it happens, yay.

As far as exercise goes, I've decided to hold off on going to the gym for the time being. I'm not canceling my membership just yet, but don't think that I should head in to that sweaty place where no one wears masks. Like, if California mandates masks again as a state, then I'll go in, maybe. I live in an area with very divided opinions about mask wearing, if you can't tell, so I'll just have to feel things out. INSTEAD of the gym, I'm going to challenge myself to get up at 4:30am, drink some coffee followed by quiet exercise in the living room while my loved ones snooze. That means I need to line everything up so that I have no excuses. If I have to wear my exercise clothing to bed the night before, so be it. I need to clear all of my kid's toys off of the floor in the living room, or at least shove them into ignorable piles that won't cause me to sprain another ankle.

After my exercise, I'll shower and do 5 minutes of meditation to get back into the swing of things. Sounds like a plan.

++

Now, to assign myself points for last week's efforts (or lack of effort): 0 points. While I can celebrate drinking more water, I only did so half of the days, and that's all there is to say. Let's make this week a better week!

• Like 1

So... I have been having a hard time getting up on time. What's that about? My alarm goes off and I don't hear it at all. I'm thinking about getting an actual alarm clock rather than using my phone. I think I read somewhere that they're a better way to get up. Where do you even buy one of those old-fangled things? Amazon, I suppose. SIGH. I've really been trying to avoid Amazon.

Here's the good news, fairly unrelated to my challenge - I have come up with the basic premise for my next screenplay. I'm going to get to work chipping away at the story to get it right before I start to write. Even though this is a nascent project, I still say "hurrah" because I've had some kind of mental block preventing me from even wanting to write, lately. Yikes. Glad that block's crumbling down.

This hasn't been a great week so far, in terms of me accomplishing my goals, but life is moving on and I am 1) tolerably healthy 2) am not living in complete filth and 3) my toddler is alive, fed, healthy and has fun. I call that acceptable and look forward to leveling up over the weekend into next week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrashcanCarla said:

So... I have been having a hard time getting up on time. What's that about? My alarm goes off and I don't hear it at all. I'm thinking about getting an actual alarm clock rather than using my phone. I think I read somewhere that they're a better way to get up. Where do you even buy one of those old-fangled things? Amazon, I suppose. SIGH. I've really been trying to avoid Amazon.

I’d check Target or any similar stores. Maybe Radio Shack. Are those still a thing?