Nymeria attempts to respawn

Hi.  Long time no see, everyone!  I finally have the time and am in a mental space where I'm ready to return and get back into shape.  On the bad side, moving + covid means I no longer am doing parkour.  There isn't a good gym nearby, and I'm at the moment injury-phobic enough that I don't want to risk outdoor play.  I'm still battling very low energy levels and weight gain (ugh, tamoxifen), but I'm still in remission!

On the good side, hiking has been nice, I've started cycling, and I'll be joining a climbing gym soon.  The kids loved their new school last year, and they're both in a great place socially and academically.  

I'm keeping the challenge simple:

1.  I need to do one of the following every single day:  yoga, cycling, hiking, climbing, or weight training.  No excuses.  It might be hot as balls throughout August, but I still can do the yoga, lifting, or climbing.  

2.  Fasting from 8pm through noon the following day.  No more evening snacks.

3.  Music:  Playing the piano is one of my primary forms of mental self-care.  I need to take the time to play at least 15 minutes every day.  I'm currently working on Liebestraum (Liszt) and Nocturne #8 (Chopin), as well as accompaniment pieces for my son, who plays cello.   Having him progress so quickly and so well in his music has been inspiring me to play, and we have a great time jamming together.

Spoiler

Vivaldi concerto for 2 cellos (we only have 1 cello, and I'm on the piano)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18vm2ioqwx5L3jcDXQsa771Xe5_vTbCSL/view?usp=sharing

4.  Sleep care - Tea + reading at night, since that's the only thing that helps for my insomnia

5.  Trying to be a great parent.  

-  For my 13 year old:  Help them be more active.  Make the time to help with homework.  Kiddo wants us to use they/them pronouns, and even though it's a bit hard for me to remember, I need to try to do my best.  Both kids are taking Algebra II this year, and I need to make sure the 13 year old doesn't feel insecure about their abilities compared to the 11 year old.  

- For my 11 year old:  11 year old wants to make it to Nationals for Mathcounts and also wants to qualify for AIME.  I need to help him study for his math contests.  Also, I need to help support him with his cello.  

• Like 7

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Welcome back Nym! You were sorely missed!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Hey Nym! You've always been such an inspiration, before I even had kids I admired how you did things! And these challenge goals, especially the last one, follow that pattern :)

Good to see you! Glad you're still in remission. 

That video is so cool! You sound great together :)

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl gets her bujo back

my instagram - my gym's instagram

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Welcome back! I've missed you. Very thankful you are still in remission. And awesome that your kids are enjoying and thriving at school!

Thanks!  I still have 7 years to go on the Tamoxifen, but otherwise things look good on the cancer front.  For the kids, they went from being in schools with a lot of disruptive kids and being bored to being challenged and having classmates who are nerdy and well behaved.  It makes a huge difference.

11 hours ago, RvndellMK said:

Wow, that’s a lot of goals! Not sure I could fast that long without passing out. Best of luck!

Well, I will have coffee in the morning!  I'm not 100% sure of how well it will go, but if I can have a decent sized lunch at noon, a decent dinner at 6:00, and no additional snacking, that should do wonders for my diet.

11 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Welcome back Nym! You were sorely missed!

Thanks!  :)  

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Hey Nym! You've always been such an inspiration, before I even had kids I admired how you did things! And these challenge goals, especially the last one, follow that pattern :)

Good to see you! Glad you're still in remission. 

That video is so cool! You sound great together :)

I'm sure you're a great mom!  It's really amazing watching your kids grow up and turn into wonderful, unique people with their own thoughts and dreams.  I'm at a point with my oldest that I can pass along  books that I enjoyed (providing that there isn't too much sex or relationship stuff).  They have such a wonderful, nuanced understanding of everything far beyond 13 years. 

For my son (spoilers, since I don't want to be too tacky here)

Spoiler

He's a bit of a math and music prodigy.  In math, he has been placing in the top 10 for his grade nationally in a few competitions.  He will be taking calculus in 8th grade, and could have done so much sooner if we pushed him at all.  For cello, he has only been playing 2 years (video was from 1 year 10 months), and only 8 months with a live instructor before everything went to zoom.  He has perfect pitch and memorizes songs almost instantly.  He only practices 30 minutes/day and is at a point that most kids need 6-7 years to reach.  It's amazing to watch, and I'm perfectly happy to support his talents however I can.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Welcome Nym! I'm glad to see you on here. I'm sorry parkour isn't an option now, u hope the move was otherwise positive. 

The move has been great!  Really, even if I hadn't moved, covid would have killed off the parkour.  I was expecting to 'retire' from parkour and switch back to climbing around age 50, just to minimize impact on my joints.  Covid and life situations just made it all happen earlier than that.  I love climbing and lived a 40+ minute drive from all of the climbing gyms back at my old house.  Now, I'm a 15 minute drive from a gym.  It's all good!

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

On 7/30/2021 at 4:53 PM, Nymeria said:

I'm sure you're a great mom!  It's really amazing watching your kids grow up and turn into wonderful, unique people with their own thoughts and dreams.  I'm at a point with my oldest that I can pass along  books that I enjoyed (providing that there isn't too much sex or relationship stuff).  They have such a wonderful, nuanced understanding of everything far beyond 13 years. 

For my son (spoilers, since I don't want to be too tacky here)

You're allowed to be proud :) He sounds amazing! 

I'm really looking forward to sharing more interests and hobby's with mine ❤️ 

Whoah what a nice surprise to see you here! :D 

On 7/30/2021 at 5:53 PM, Nymeria said:

I was expecting to 'retire' from parkour and switch back to climbing around age 50, just to minimize impact on my joints.

I do get your point, but I still found the idea of "retiring" to climbing amusing since it's another high intensity activity. Just replace knees/ankles with shoulders/fingers. :D 

On 7/30/2021 at 2:56 PM, Terra said:

Happy Season 5 GIF by Friends

So excited to see you back here!!!  

Really happy to be back!  I need that extra dose of excitement, motivation, and peer pressure to get myself fit and healthy again!

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

You're allowed to be proud :) He sounds amazing! 

I'm really looking forward to sharing more interests and hobby's with mine ❤️ 

Thanks!  It's interesting how it works, in that each kid will share some hobbies or interests, and then there will be other ones that you desperately want to share with your kids, but they just won't.  For example, my kids hate hiking and will whine about even 2 mile long, super cool hiking trails with amazing scenery.  You kind of have to take what you can get and run with it.  

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Whoah what a nice surprise to see you here! :D 

I do get your point, but I still found the idea of "retiring" to climbing amusing since it's another high intensity activity. Just replace knees/ankles with shoulders/fingers. :D 

Hi!!!  You know what I mean, though.  Climbing is still much more controlled than parkour.  Also, if I mostly do top rope, I can avoid any huge impacts or falls.  I'm so out of climbing shape that I will almost entirely stick with top rope routes at the beginning, and I'll do my best to accept that I'm going to be pretty terrible for a few months until I can shake off the rust.  

My tutorials:

So far....

Friday, I did a 30 minute yoga program, walked, and did some swimming.  Yay!

Saturday, we went up the mountain and did a little hiking/rock scrambling.  The kids hate hiking, but they love climbing around on rocks, so it's a fun activity for everyone!

Today, I did another yoga program + tons of cleaning since the in-laws are coming over for dinner.

The kids start school on Thursday, so I'm pretty busy with making sure that they're set up and ready.  Our idiot governor decreed that schools may not mandate masks, so I'm a little nervous.  The school has requested that people still wear masks and at least the overwhelming majority did at the check-in last week.  3/4 of the family is vaccinated, but my 11 year old isn't old enough yet....

• Like 1

My tutorials:

17 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Hi!!!  You know what I mean, though.  Climbing is still much more controlled than parkour.  Also, if I mostly do top rope, I can avoid any huge impacts or falls.  I'm so out of climbing shape that I will almost entirely stick with top rope routes at the beginning, and I'll do my best to accept that I'm going to be pretty terrible for a few months until I can shake off the rust.  

I think all (indoor) climbing can be done safely. For people with self restraint. ;) 

Yay for yoga and scrambling!

11 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I think all (indoor) climbing can be done safely. For people with self restraint. ;) 

Yay for yoga and scrambling!

Before, I had 3 challenges to my self restraint:  Sheer joy of climbing, feeling like I needed to get my money's worth after paying a drop in fee, and feeling like I needed to climb for at least 2 hours after driving 40 minutes each way to the gym.  Now, I'll just have to contend with the joy of climbing. ;)    Really, though, my hope is that when I reach that point where I'm tired, my fingers are close to ripping, and I'm no longer climbing particularly well, I'll just stop and go home rather than pushing it too much.  

My tutorials:

On 8/1/2021 at 2:32 AM, Nymeria said:

Thanks!  It's interesting how it works, in that each kid will share some hobbies or interests, and then there will be other ones that you desperately want to share with your kids, but they just won't.  For example, my kids hate hiking and will whine about even 2 mile long, super cool hiking trails with amazing scenery.  You kind of have to take what you can get and run with it.  

ohh yea.. I should mentally prepare for that x) 

18 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Saturday, we went up the mountain and did a little hiking/rock scrambling.  The kids hate hiking, but they love climbing around on rocks, so it's a fun activity for everyone!

Good solution though! 

On 8/1/2021 at 9:20 PM, Nymeria said:

Before, I had 3 challenges to my self restraint:  Sheer joy of climbing, feeling like I needed to get my money's worth after paying a drop in fee, and feeling like I needed to climb for at least 2 hours after driving 40 minutes each way to the gym.  Now, I'll just have to contend with the joy of climbing. ;)    Really, though, my hope is that when I reach that point where I'm tired, my fingers are close to ripping, and I'm no longer climbing particularly well, I'll just stop and go home rather than pushing it too much.  

The first one is bad enough. :D Though I found that while getting back to climbing myself it was difficult to overdo it. I ran out of juice too quickly. Climbing with less pushy friends also helps haha.

Bleh.  I slept poorly last night and my energy levels are very low today.  I've nailed the diet and piano-playing goals today, but I'm really struggling to motivate myself enough to do a workout.  I might just stretch a lot and call it good (plus, get a walk later when it's less hot and maybe some swimming).  

• Like 4

My tutorials:

14 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

Bleh.  I slept poorly last night and my energy levels are very low today.  I've nailed the diet and piano-playing goals today, but I'm really struggling to motivate myself enough to do a workout.  I might just stretch a lot and call it good (plus, get a walk later when it's less hot and maybe some swimming).  

That sounds like a wise plan

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I signed up for the climbing orientation for Friday!  Yay!  I'm hoping to get a routine going where I climb about 1 hour on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  For the first month or two, I'm largely going to stick with auto belays to get my strength back.  I'll move onto bouldering when I feel a bit more ready.   I'm especially psyched after watching Olympic climbing!

Other than that, things are going well.  I've mostly been doing yoga for my exercise, but that's fine.  It's already over 90 degrees by 8:30 in the morning here, so it's too hot for me to want to do much outdoors or even on the mini climbing wall in my garage.  The main point now is to be consistent with doing something, and I have been!

Piano has been going well, too.  Every day, I practice a couple accompaniment songs before I move onto music that's actually interesting.  I guess I should have pointed out in the original goal that the accompanying music is really boring, and I have to force myself to practice my parts.  I'm doing this part purely for the kiddo and not at all for myself.  I should also point out that the video in my original post is the exception and not the rule for accompanying.  That piece is actually a lot of fun for the piano part!  :)  

• Like 4

My tutorials:

On 8/4/2021 at 7:42 PM, Nymeria said:

I signed up for the climbing orientation for Friday!  Yay!  I'm hoping to get a routine going where I climb about 1 hour on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  For the first month or two, I'm largely going to stick with auto belays to get my strength back.  I'll move onto bouldering when I feel a bit more ready.   I'm especially psyched after watching Olympic climbing!

Nice! Is this a brand new gym to you?

Halfway through the men's final

Spoiler

Wow they botched the bouldering final setting. Such a shame, because the qualis were awesome! Also feeling that hype!

29 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Nice! Is this a brand new gym to you?

Halfway through the men's final

Reveal hidden contents

Wow they botched the bouldering final setting. Such a shame, because the qualis were awesome! Also feeling that hype!

Yep.  New gym.  We moved here in June of 2020, but we didn't want to do indoor sports of any kind during covid.  Now, my husband, daughter, and I are all vaccinated, so I'm less worried.  

Spoiler

I saw the men's results and wondered what the heck happened with the bouldering.  I'll watch it tonight, but I'm sad that the French climber didn't do a lot better.  He was a lot of fun to watch in the Quals.  The women's climbing was great!  I can't wait to see the finals!

I'm glad that they're separating speed from bouldering+lead for the next olympics.  They're such different disciplines, and they're definitely muddying the waters a lot.  

My tutorials:

Spoiler

I actually thought he did amazingly well I don't think I've ever seen him on a lead wall and I haven't seen him very often even in boulder semis for a long time. He absolutely crushed qualis though, super cool! Shame about his brother though, getting an injury must've suuucked. 

So am I, but I can see some pluses with it. It adds a lot of drama and uncertainty to the final results, which is cool. And it's non-climber audience friendly. And it's really quick. What I dislike is how much emphasis it gets in the scoring and how uneven the combined format makes the field. The Polish speed climber looks like an amateur in bouldering and lead next to the other women. And vice versa. Better to let each discipline shine on its own. Especially for the poorer speed focused countries without as good facilities. Then again, if it hadn't been for the combined format I wouldn't have watched it at all.

I just got back from climbing.  As expected, I totally sucked and gassed out pretty quickly, but I'm still stoked!  I went into this knowing that I would suck for awhile, and I'm at least now on the path to not-sucking.  I mostly did auto belays and managed some 5.8s as well as 3/4 of a 5.9 (fell only because my forearms were fried and not because I couldn't do the moves).  Since I haven't climbed in so long and am about 30 lbs heavier now than when I was climbing (thanks Tamoxifen and covid), I'm okay with all of that!

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I actually thought he did amazingly well I don't think I've ever seen him on a lead wall and I haven't seen him very often even in boulder semis for a long time. He absolutely crushed qualis though, super cool! Shame about his brother though, getting an injury must've suuucked. 

So am I, but I can see some pluses with it. It adds a lot of drama and uncertainty to the final results, which is cool. And it's non-climber audience friendly. And it's really quick. What I dislike is how much emphasis it gets in the scoring and how uneven the combined format makes the field. The Polish speed climber looks like an amateur in bouldering and lead next to the other women. And vice versa. Better to let each discipline shine on its own. Especially for the poorer speed focused countries without as good facilities. Then again, if it hadn't been for the combined format I wouldn't have watched it at all.

Spoiler

His movements were so smooth, so he was fun to watch!   I felt sorry for him on lead, because the issue for him is that his endurance was bad and not that he lacked the climbing technique.  It was kind of obvious that he gassed out pretty early on the route.   I'm so stoked to watch the women's tonight, since Janja is another one who is fun to watch.  She's just so fluid and controlled in all of her movements.  

Honestly, rather than splitting off speed climbing, I wish they handled it more like gymnastics.  They should award medals for each of the three disciplines separately, and then also have an all-around competition.   I have full respect for the speed climbing specialists.  They're amazing at what they do.  But, their discipline doesn't overlap enough with the other two disciplines for it to be reasonable to force the speed climbers to compete in them.  

• Like 2

My tutorials:

Week 1 recap:

Things are going really well, exercise-wise.  Today, I hit the climbing gym again.  My forearms were still kind of fried from Friday, and I can't say that I climbed particularly well, but I'm definitely re-building strength.   I'll most likely do yoga Monday and Tuesday, climbing Wednesday, yoga Thursday, climbing Friday.  :)

For healthy eating, I'm getting back into the habit of eating a lot of eggs (veggie omelettes, especially) and a lot of salad.  I've also gone the last few days without any booze.  Yay!

Piano has been going well, too.  I've been consistent about practicing the 5 pieces I'm currently working on.  I also have found that even when my forearms are fried from climbing, as long as I don't have finger tears, my playing isn't too impacted.  2 of the pieces are accompaniment for my son.

Tea + reading has been going well, too.  I'm so glad I'm back in the habit of consistent reading.  

Being there for the kids:  They haven't had any homework and haven't needed my help.  I'm still trying to be very attentive with getting them ready for school in the morning.  I doubt anyone here is math-nerdy enough to know what I'm talking about, but I ordered AoPS Intermediate Counting and Probability to work through with my son on weekends.  Also, I've been playing a lot of For The Win with him (math head to head competition game).

• Like 3

My tutorials: