KB Girl fixes the batcaves

Hi! last challenge I focused on physical activity and it was good to have a single focus like that, so I'm going for another focused challenge. Fixing my living spaces edition. I will of course continue training/daily miles and report on those too. 

ETA: I'm going to subjectively give myself points for everything and then every 100 points I'm getting myself something nice. Like ice cream. 

Declutter / Find a home / put away

The title says it all. I'm going to report on what I did and I'm going to brainstorm things I'd like to get done and how I'm going to make that happen. 

Deep cleaning

Last week I did the bathroom walls and that was kinda nice. There are more projects like that- let's see how many I can do. Can't remember the last time I vacuumed under the mattresses or the couch!  

Routine

I'll draw up a weekly chores list in my bujo and get that done.. and I'll track the daily routine things I have (starting the day with a load of laundry and emptying the dishwasher, kitchen and toy clean up when the kids are in bed, tidying up while cooking, gym kitchen+toilet before I go home) and maybe I can add to those.. and I'm giving myself points for random chores like I dunno, emptying the diaper bin. 

Bonus: bed time

Jaap says he's going to go to bed at 22:30 at the latest starting Monday, might as well see if I can join him :)

• Like 11

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Declutter / Find a home / put away

The title says it all. I'm going to report on what I did and I'm going to brainstorm things I'd like to get done and how I'm going to make that happen. 

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

I'm trying to figure out how to work this into my challenge too. I've got a list, which I figure is the first step!

Spoiler

image.png.93e4cea5043cdd543371739793c42292.png

Will be eagerly following along!

• Like 1

Level 10 Ravenclaw Adventurer

STR 19.25 | DEX 12 | STA 22.75 | CON 38 | WIS 21 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 CURRENT: 12

Oooh I like the look of this challenge! 

I found an app that's great for housework - it's called Tody and you can input all the chores you need to do and how often you want to do them. It's a great way of keeping on top of things, but it's better for regular chores rather than the one-off jobs. 

Following along! 

• Like 2

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Great goals!  For the decluttering, are you going to give your stuff the Marie Kondo treatment (aka throw most of it in the trash)?  It sucks, but that's one of the best ways to handle the clutter.  

I keep a weekly spreadsheet for chores, so we all can check off boxes for each day when we complete our work.  BTW, the good side about having older kids is that you can task them with chores.  The bad side is that you'll feel like you're always nagging someone.

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

It's hard to keep the house clean when you have littles.Here to support you!

1 hour ago, Nymeria said:

I keep a weekly spreadsheet for chores, so we all can check off boxes for each day when we complete our work.  BTW, the good side about having older kids is that you can task them with chores.  The bad side is that you'll feel like you're always nagging someone.

I think having kids learn responsibility and helpfulness by doing chores is super important. But, I gotta say, it is much less mentally taxing now that I just do them myself (since my son lives on his own) I can just empty the dishwasher, rather than remind 5 times, than remind that we just need to empty the dishwasher not use the knives as swords, then call  him back to finish the chore when  he only unloads the top part. 😄 Good news is, he has had the same roommate for years, and they are still friends, so somewhere along the way he must have learned something.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Here for the bonus sleeping.

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following! 

Yay! :)

19 hours ago, MezzotheLefty said:

Following for cleaning solidarity and inspo. You got this! 😁

Can definitely use the solidarity :D

17 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

I'm trying to figure out how to work this into my challenge too. I've got a list, which I figure is the first step!

Hide contents

image.png.93e4cea5043cdd543371739793c42292.png

Will be eagerly following along!

Ohhh thanks for sharing! I love seeing things like that :) your list is great. I should make a list. Though I'm thinking my main issue is not everything having a 'home' so I think that should be my first priority.. it's only going to be annoying going through a closer and then not knowing where to put the stuff I want to keep. So a list of homes maybe. 

17 hours ago, deftona said:

Oooh I like the look of this challenge! 

I found an app that's great for housework - it's called Tody and you can input all the chores you need to do and how often you want to do them. It's a great way of keeping on top of things, but it's better for regular chores rather than the one-off jobs. 

Following along! 

hmm.. I'm not normally a fan of apps (for calorie counting or habits or w/e) but I'll check that out, who knows!  

17 hours ago, sylph said:

In for daily dishes solidarity :)

I didn't do them yesterday x) 

16 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Great goals!  For the decluttering, are you going to give your stuff the Marie Kondo treatment (aka throw most of it in the trash)?  It sucks, but that's one of the best ways to handle the clutter.  

Yes I'm definitely going to try to get rid of as much stuff as possible! Over the last couple of years I've already done some sessions like this and I don't buy a lot of new stuff, but I still get gifted stuff and there are some areas I've never dared touch.. so there is plenty left to do x) 

My 4yo was a lot more interested in helping with chores and cooking etc when she was smaller.. these days only the toddler is 'helping' me regularly. Might have to do something about that, but I'll think it over for a bit. 

15 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

It's hard to keep the house clean when you have littles.Here to support you!

I think having kids learn responsibility and helpfulness by doing chores is super important. But, I gotta say, it is much less mentally taxing now that I just do them myself (since my son lives on his own) I can just empty the dishwasher, rather than remind 5 times, than remind that we just need to empty the dishwasher not use the knives as swords, then call  him back to finish the chore when  he only unloads the top part. 😄 Good news is, he has had the same roommate for years, and they are still friends, so somewhere along the way he must have learned something.

It really is! over the past year I just lowered my standards drastically, but it's time to lift them up a bit again. Not too much ;) 

The nagging does sound like a chore itself! I've been kinda hoping that modelling helpfulness will work and they'll pick that up though osmosis. 

5 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Here for the bonus sleeping.

I adore sleeping, maybe I'll sing its praises a lot and it'll rub off on you. 

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Ahh, the fortress will be shining and well organised!

well let's not exaggerate ;) it'll just be a little less chaos? 

• Like 4

Friday went well on paper, I lifted heavy stuff after work and did a bunch of cleaning and went to bed by 10pm. In reality the lifting didn't go as well as I would have liked and I was a bit of a grouch due to tiredness and probably upcoming shark week.. but I don't get points deducted for being a grouch so it's all good ;)

Lifts & miles: 

- deadlifts 5x45kg, 5x65kg, 3x5x70kg, assisted pull-ups 3x8, Bulgarian split squats with 2x6kg, 3x5/5

- short bits, walked to and from work and went by bike to the grocery store. 

Housekeeping: 

- thoroughly swept the downstairs (2p) 

- put away a lot of things (2p) 

- cleaned the kitchen, loaded the dishwasher (1p) 

- had the 4yo mop the floor by skating around (1p) 

No cooking because we had a playdate in the afternoon and by the time they went home I was done for the day! so we got some frozen pizzas at the store. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

The nagging does sound like a chore itself! I've been kinda hoping that modelling helpfulness will work and they'll pick that up though osmosis. 

Seems like when they are little modeling is very helpful in encouraging them

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 7/31/2021 at 6:07 PM, Elastigirl said:

Seems like when they are little modeling is very helpful in encouraging them

Kinda stopped working with Emma though.. she’s also much less excited to help me with cooking these days 😔

On 7/31/2021 at 8:49 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Here!

Yay :)

12 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Always nice when attitude doesn't deduct points. :) Following. 

Not challenge points anyway 😅

• Like 1

The weekend was rather busy, first work on both days and then social things. Saturday I cooked for friends (it was tasty!) and on Sunday we went for a hike with family and had a picknick for dinner. 

on Saturday I lifted bells, first jerks 6x12 with the 16s and then a 7:00 snatch set with 10kg. Had a 1on1 technique session with one of my athletes after, always love those :) 

Giving myself 1 point for getting stuff out of the car after our hike, other than that I really wasn’t home enough to do anything. 

in bed too late on both days 🤷‍♀️

• Like 6

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Kinda stopped working with Emma though.. she’s also much less excited to help me with cooking these days 😔

Makes me wonder how excited you are about cooking? If you're not particularly excited then maybe there's that kinda modeling (now that the novelty's worn off). 😛 

Your weekend sounds like the good kind of busy! 🙂

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Makes me wonder how excited you are about cooking? If you're not particularly excited then maybe there's that kinda modeling (now that the novelty's worn off). 😛 

Your weekend sounds like the good kind of busy! 🙂

There is a bit of that probably yea.. but this morning I proposed we make american pancakes with blueberries and bacon, which I was definitely excited about! And she was excited about me making them, just didn’t want to help. Too busy with her projects maybe. 

• Like 2

Monday

While Jaap took the baby toddler to get another round of vaccins I did a bunch of tidying and cleaning. First tackled some laundry and then decided to prioritise my bedroom. My allergies always get worse when I don’t vacuum enough. So I lifted the mattresses and everything, I was very thorough. Also put on clean sheets. 

Before 

5D88F9A5-84A7-487F-A19D-10C9D997C3FF.thumb.jpeg.b19a05f0bbb37c9d6c25e159292f4b8b.jpeg

After 

BDF9B7A4-4ECD-4C90-BBB8-6C478E6B5D60.thumb.jpeg.e3bcb3c795d0e48dc897dbfc0b1b0de5.jpeg

0C994D2A-2C60-4F1D-9E90-9F29323B718C.thumb.jpeg.79733ab1c9b297570c5b6952897fa539.jpeg

Got to do the closets at some point, but happy with this for now.

While the baby slept I did some work and prepped dinner, then got my daily miles in during a coaching call, taught 3 classes at the gym. Did 5 pullups during that time. 

I missed my bed time.. took so long for the kids to get to sleep and then I just really needed some down time and then it was 11 when I checked the clock 🤷‍♀️ 

just gonna hang up a last load of laundry now and then go to bed. 

I think it’s ehm, let’s see… 7 points. 
Oh! I cleaned the toilet at the gym, that’s another 2 points (because I hate cleaning toilets it’s worth an extra point)

• Like 7

On 7/31/2021 at 12:56 AM, KB Girl said:

Yes I'm definitely going to try to get rid of as much stuff as possible! Over the last couple of years I've already done some sessions like this and I don't buy a lot of new stuff, but I still get gifted stuff and there are some areas I've never dared touch.. so there is plenty left to do x) 

My 4yo was a lot more interested in helping with chores and cooking etc when she was smaller.. these days only the toddler is 'helping' me regularly. Might have to do something about that, but I'll think it over for a bit. 

It really is! over the past year I just lowered my standards drastically, but it's time to lift them up a bit again. Not too much ;) 

Moving cross country really opened my eyes to just how much junk I was storing in my house.  I've been in the new house over a year, and it's so much less cluttered, since I ended up throwing away so many things when I moved.

Modeling helpfulness works until they're teens and tweens.  At that point, you end up having to nag them for everything.  Enjoy the kids while they're still sweet and little (and not hormonal - ugh).  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

7 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Got to do the closets at some point, but happy with this for now.

Looking orderly!

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

On 8/3/2021 at 12:44 AM, Nymeria said:

Moving cross country really opened my eyes to just how much junk I was storing in my house.  I've been in the new house over a year, and it's so much less cluttered, since I ended up throwing away so many things when I moved.

Modeling helpfulness works until they're teens and tweens.  At that point, you end up having to nag them for everything.  Enjoy the kids while they're still sweet and little (and not hormonal - ugh).  

That sounds really nice, the less stuff thing! Hope you can keep it that way :)  For me it's having kids that just accumulates so much stuff.. my house seems too small to hold all these clothes and toys and arts and crafts stuff and bikes and books x) We're not sure about a third child yet, so I also don't want to get rid of everything we don't need anymore. But I definitely aim to go over everything with that thought of would I take it if we had to move. 

Weren't your kids little monsters then? :D really the 4 year old.. somedays.. x) the 1 year old is still so sweet and little though yes. 

On 8/3/2021 at 1:12 AM, Defining said:

Love the goals! Decluttering is also pretty high on my priority list - it can seem so overwhelming! Looks like you've found some systems that work for you though.

Not really, but just tackling one thing at a time :) 

On 8/3/2021 at 7:08 AM, Harriet said:

Looking orderly!

Thank you! 

13 hours ago, paperclipbob said:

Great goals and progress! Following :)

Hey! Nice to have you around :) 

• Like 2