Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared

21 hours ago, Harriet said:

Very wise. And blueberry coconut mousse sounds amazing.

It was good. I just sort of made up the recipe , so I give myself extra points for creativity!

13 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

Good job taking it slow on the running. Every time I try to get back into running, I jump into it like I'm 16 on the high school track team again and it does not end well.

Yeah, it seems like running really is something I need to work up to.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I decided to read Born To Run, since I was in a running frame of mind. It's sort of interesting, but also meandering, and a bit over dramatic. A lot of it deals with people who run ultra marathons, why they do it, and how.That's sort of interesting. The author investigates it  to see how he can help his running . At first when I read it, I was looking for more of a how to run, but we are half way in, and that's barely mentioned. That was sort of annoying, but then I just decided to read for pleasure, and I like it more.

Did my workout today. 5 sets of 1-2-3 clean and presses with the kettlebells. Then some farmer carries.And then a bit of staff work. Did  some gardening, Fertilized, pick a bunch of Dahliahs, and made a couple of pretty bouquets .Planning on walking this evening.

Food journal:

Wednesday is weird schedule wise. Friends come over for prayer, by the time they are done, I don't want a full meal, but sort of hungry. So I had a light snack. Then did my workout and had a big lunch. I was going to skip more afternoon snack, but decided I wanted a protein shake. Not sure if I was hungry or that around 4 , my body says time to eat.  I haven't figured out yet what is a good eating plan for Wednesday. My preworkout snack was half a banana and a Lara mini bar, so under 200 calories, so that's a snack that gives me energy but not a lot. When I was counting calories, I did a lighter breakfast. But that meant I had egg whites, and I was tired of them by the time I finished my calorie deficit.

• Like 6

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I decided to read Born To Run, since I was in a running frame of mind.

I picked up a running book at a library sale in June, and I think it might be this one. I was thinking it would make a good read for when I get back into running, less as a how-to and more as an inspiration. Are you finding it motivating?

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

3 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I picked up a running book at a library sale in June, and I think it might be this one. I was thinking it would make a good read for when I get back into running, less as a how-to and more as an inspiration. Are you finding it motivating?

Yes, he talks about how much the people enjoy running. So it does make me want to go out and run.

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I find it quite fascinating actually, to me it's incomprehensible why anyone would want to subject themselves to that extreme amount of suckage. 

I agree.The author's profiles of the people who did it were , eh, shall we say unique people?😉 However, the author's premise  is that our  feet actually evolved to  run  over long distances (sidenote:  I  would say created) And therefore marathons and ultra's aren't suckage, but actually enjoyable.

Much of what he says reminds me of what Kay Bowman talks about. How spending all our time in our cushioned shoes is like casts for our feet.How our feet were made to give us balance, and to be strong, and flexible, but our modern living has made them weak.  I believe Katy's premise that we used to do a lot more walking, and we really were adapted to that, and it helped our bodies to thrive. I'm not sure if I think we can just easily  jog for days on end though. I do think it would be cool to just run through the forest barefoot  (or minimalist shoes) 

• Like 2

Did a jog today. Before I jogged I did some squats, and lunges. Then I also did the drills: butt kicks, high knees, leg hop. Did 90 seconds on , 2 minutes walk.  When I was jogging and something started to hurt, I  tried to focus on my form. Then I finished by repeating the drills, and a bit more walking.

Also today I did touch up painting to our room. Tomorrow's plan is to finish constructing the bins (Ikea heavy cardboard) and put more craft supplies in them

My plan this evening had been to go for another walk, but I have 11,000 steps and I'm tired, so it's not happening.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

I wish we had Lara bars over here! :(

Have a great day, EG! ❤️

Oh, sadness is no Lara Bars. They are great for me, because they don't have dairy. Most protein bars mess with my stomach

5 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Did a jog today. Before I jogged I did some squats, and lunges. Then I also did the drills: butt kicks, high knees, leg hop. Did 90 seconds on , 2 minutes walk.  When I was jogging and something started to hurt, I  tried to focus on my form. Then I finished by repeating the drills, and a bit more walking.

Also today I did touch up painting to our room. Tomorrow's plan is to finish constructing the bins (Ikea heavy cardboard) and put more craft supplies in them

My plan this evening had been to go for another walk, but I have 11,000 steps and I'm tired, so it's not happening.

You're making amazing running progress! From 1 run, 3 walk to 1.5 run, 2 walk; that's awesome!

• Like 1

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

EPIC Quest

11 minutes ago, MezzotheLefty said:

You're making amazing running progress! From 1 run, 3 walk to 1.5 run, 2 walk; that's awesome!

Thanks. When you wrote this my thought was, no I'm super slow, but  it's true I am improving

Food journal: I had three snacks today. One of the reasons I don't like cardio is because I feel like I get so hungry.And it's not necessarily because I eat more calories, because I end up gaining weight. But, I want to do cardio for my heart, plus I just want to have the ability to run.  The snack after my run I counted as my snack.But then I had an afternoon snack, When I wanted an afternoon snack I delayed, and then had a protein muffin with chocolate chips. After dinner I had some coconut cream with chocolate chips, Not hungry just wanted a treat. Not happy with my always saying yes to treats, or the amount of sugar I am eating. I think I have given myself a lot of yes's to treats, and I would like to balance that with some "not this  time" on treats.

• Like 2

I really like your food journalling approach! I think there is a lot of wisdom in mindful eating. 

Running is on my horizon I think, one day I would like to actually complete the ol' coach to 5k. I know lots of people who are into barefoot and minimalist shoes love Born to Run. I think it makes a lot of sense that physiologically a certain kind of running is very natural for us human beens. Curious how you get on learning running technique (as I understand it, it is important to land in the middle of the foot, rather than heel-toe? But I really don't know very much about it!)  

• Like 1

Current Challenge
---------------------------------------------------------
Previous challenges:

Respawn

Limbering up
Going Forth

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

When I wanted an afternoon snack I delayed, and then had a protein muffin with chocolate chips. After dinner I had some coconut cream with chocolate chips, Not hungry just wanted a treat. Not happy with my always saying yes to treats, or the amount of sugar I am eating. I think I have given myself a lot of yes's to treats, and I would like to balance that with some "not this  time" on treats.

Delaying is good. I hope I can learn the skill of sometimes saying no, too. It's tricky. But we'll get there with practice. (Although, for practice, you actually have to do the thing, right?)

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I think I have given myself a lot of yes's to treats, and I would like to balance that with some "not this  time" on treats.

Eventually, you'll eat the treat (unless you never eat that again, right??)  So controlling the interval is where your power lies.  🙃

Glad that running seems to be working for you.  I run slowly, but I'm still faster than the very out of shape kid I was 45 years ago.  

• Like 3

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

On 8/5/2021 at 9:43 PM, Keladris said:

I really like your food journalling approach! I think there is a lot of wisdom in mindful eating. 

Running is on my horizon I think, one day I would like to actually complete the ol' coach to 5k. I know lots of people who are into barefoot and minimalist shoes love Born to Run. I think it makes a lot of sense that physiologically a certain kind of running is very natural for us human beens. Curious how you get on learning running technique (as I understand it, it is important to land in the middle of the foot, rather than heel-toe? But I really don't know very much about it!)  

I'm sort of doing the couch to 5k, only at my pace. I'm not increasing the jogging time until I feel I can jog at the current  pace at about an RPE of 7 (a slight challenge, I may want to stop a bit earlier but can push through without pain)

Running Form: Correct Technique and Tips to Avoid Injury - YouTube

On 8/5/2021 at 10:24 PM, Harriet said:

Delaying is good. I hope I can learn the skill of sometimes saying no, too. It's tricky. But we'll get there with practice. (Although, for practice, you actually have to do the thing, right?)

Apparently, that's the idea. 😉

On 8/6/2021 at 5:21 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Eventually, you'll eat the treat (unless you never eat that again, right??)  So controlling the interval is where your power lies.  🙃

Glad that running seems to be working for you.  I run slowly, but I'm still faster than the very out of shape kid I was 45 years ago.  

Good point. I'm trying to change my mindset that instead of saying no, I'm saying not now. Because, like you said, it will be there later 

• That's Metal 1

I ran in barefoot shoes for a while and it conpletely changed my running form. I eventually transitioned back to regular shoes because I run on a lot of gravel paths and the barefoot soles were not thick enough for that, but I still run with barefoot form and it has made a world of difference for my knees.

• Like 2

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Following you to see your awesomeness!

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Here for Edna Mode! 

It looks like you have some solid goals planned for this challenge. I always love how balanced and well-rounded your goals are. 

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

On 8/7/2021 at 12:10 PM, Artemis Prime said:

I ran in barefoot shoes for a while and it conpletely changed my running form. I eventually transitioned back to regular shoes because I run on a lot of gravel paths and the barefoot soles were not thick enough for that, but I still run with barefoot form and it has made a world of difference for my knees.

Interesting. My shoes aren't barefoot, but they do have thinner soles, and minimal arch support. 

On 8/7/2021 at 3:28 PM, Red1263 said:

Following you to see your awesomeness!

HI there! Do you have a challenge up?

On 8/8/2021 at 6:34 AM, Aquarii said:

Here for Edna Mode! 

It looks like you have some solid goals planned for this challenge. I always love how balanced and well-rounded your goals are. 

Thankskhan edna mode GIF

Weekend adventures:

Went out to Mexican food Friday evening with Mr. Incredible(fish tacos!) I ate just as much as I wanted, but ate slowly.Then we went to see Jungle Cruise, which was a good summer flick movie. Saturday morning I went for a jog. Then I made some blueberry cobbler with blueberries from our garden. Went to game night. We played Stormin' The Castle. A Princess Bride themed game, It was fun, and light hearted, which was a nice break after playing the strategy intense Pandemic Campaign over the last several months. Sunday was church.Then lunch over at friends. Came home, thought about going for a walk, but never did (Sunday's are my rest days, if I don't want to walk ,I don't) 

Week 1:

Food: I  had several times where I waited and delayed having snack.And then when I had a snack, I sat down and enjoyed it. I do however feel like I say yes way more than I say no.This week I would like to focus on saying yes about 50% of the time. The 50% isn't a goal, or rule, it's just a guideline in my mind. If I've already said yes 50% of the time, and someone offers me homemade gluten free cake or something, I will say yes. But, if it's just chocolate chips , I will say not this time, and remind myself that next time I can have it.

Exercise:

The kettlebell presses are going great. Jogging is going well.Right now with jogging, it's not that I love the jogging, but I love improving with it. I did my L-sit work. However, I've decided I'm not going to do the L-sit work.I'm trying to do some jumping drills along with my jogging, and my kb is adding sets all the time, and I just feel crunched for time. Since I really normally dread cardio workouts, and I'm enjoying the jogging, I'm going  to go with the hype of that right now.

Life:

Did pretty good about keep a daily  quest list. Did 80% of the stuff on the weekly list.

Upcoming week 2:

I remembered I have the NF Heroes Journey app, and it has a running adventure. So I started that. I just marked week 1 as completed, and I will do week 2 this week. Week 2 is  one minute on , 2 minutes walking x 7.  I like the app, because you get virtual rewards and that motivates me (as long as I'm already semi motivated)

This is a short week as we are going on a long weekend trip to a church conference. For my kb workout,  I'll just do 2 workouts, then next week, I'll repeat the same week with 2 workouts. And only 2 jogging workouts. Theoratically I could do jogging on my vacation, but it's supposed to be super hot, and I'm not getting up super early, so that most likely won't happen. The plan was to do some geocaching, but I'm not sure that's going to happen if it's super hot.

Also. the book I am reading, "Eating Skills...."  has a tracker in it where you record what you did for each skill. It's just a way of reflecting how the skill practice went. I was rather lousy about it before. But, I used a tracker that I made myself, and chose the skills. This one had the skills already chosen. I'm going to try that and see if it works better. That's for the when I'm at home. On the trip, I will focus on eating slow, and enjoying the company and surroundings

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Wrote out my weekly plan. Today I also finished making the bins for the craft supplies, did a bit of craft de clutter, and moved the supplies into the boxes. Everything looks all nice and tidy! And I have some wonderful craft supplies that hardly get used. This  would be nice if crafting happened more.

Did my workout.Played with the staff a bit. Going on a  walk after Mr. Incredible finishes the dinner dishes(I cook he cleans)

I'm having a serving of chocolate chips. Had a serving as a snack.That's 2 servings, which seems like a good amount. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I struggle with this one because it is often not true- someone else will eat it! but I try to tell myself I can always get more later if I want to. 

My husband will have some of the chocolate chips, but the dairy free ice cream and gluten free cookies he figures are mine. And if I make a treat, we usually try and leave each equal amounts. I remember it being different when my son was little. And then when he was a teen-all the food would be gone! No such thing as leftovers. Right now what I struggle with is with just the two of us, there's a lot of temptation as they stick around a long time.  I kind of wish my husband would  eat some of my cookies.

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

This is very relatable, it's really what keeps me coming back all the time. 

Being able to improve is what motivates me

• Like 2