Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared

On 8/9/2021 at 12:41 PM, Elastigirl said:

HI there! Do you have a challenge up?

Hey hey! I do not, I'm focusing nearly every moment I'm not at work at studying intensely for the Board exams.

And exercising sparingly and commenting on your guys' threads here and there :P 

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

On 8/9/2021 at 10:00 PM, Elastigirl said:

Food: I  had several times where I waited and delayed having snack.And then when I had a snack, I sat down and enjoyed it. I do however feel like I say yes way more than I say no.This week I would like to focus on saying yes about 50% of the time. The 50% isn't a goal, or rule, it's just a guideline in my mind. If I've already said yes 50% of the time, and someone offers me homemade gluten free cake or something, I will say yes. But, if it's just chocolate chips , I will say not this time, and remind myself that next time I can have it.

Sounds like a very sensible and useful approach you have going here. I might try to imitate you. I could delay snacks sometimes instead of immediately saying yes every time.

On 8/9/2021 at 10:00 PM, Elastigirl said:

Exercise:

The kettlebell presses are going great. Jogging is going well.Right now with jogging, it's not that I love the jogging, but I love improving with it. I did my L-sit work. However, I've decided I'm not going to do the L-sit work.I'm trying to do some jumping drills along with my jogging, and my kb is adding sets all the time, and I just feel crunched for time. Since I really normally dread cardio workouts, and I'm enjoying the jogging, I'm going  to go with the hype of that right now.

Also very sensible to do the exercise that's enjoyable right now.

Enjoy your long weekend trip!

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

Sounds like a good report in.   Lots of mindfulness happening.

Your food and outings always sound so fun.

I really want to try making a cobbler or crumble soon... hmm.

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

I love board game nights. Have you ever tried Clank? I played it one at a board game meetup and have been itching to get my hands on it but never pulled the trigger. It was a ton of fun.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Currently Posting in -->Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] 

58 minutes ago, cn3wton said:

I love board game nights. Have you ever tried Clank? I played it one at a board game meetup and have been itching to get my hands on it but never pulled the trigger. It was a ton of fun.

No, I had never heard of it.But it looks super fun!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

No, I had never heard of it.But it looks super fun!

From the little I played it most definitely was! I've seen a few games inspired by it making the rounds too.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

On 8/11/2021 at 5:48 AM, fearless 2.0 said:

that blueberry cobbler sounds great! :) 

I am so happy to read about your jogging, you are doing great!

have a great weekend EG! ❤️

It was very good. Thanks!

23 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Sounds like a good report in.   Lots of mindfulness happening.

Your food and outings always sound so fun.

I really want to try making a cobbler or crumble soon... hmm.

Thanks

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Got busy, and forgot to post. I've been doing my workouts, and my jogging.  Yesterday, since I had friends over, my workout wasn't until afternoon. My backyard is shaded, but it was still pretty hot. I decided to skip the pull ups and just do the presses and a 5 minute swing. It was a good call. Then I went for a short walk. I wanted to do about 20 minutes, but lasted about 10 before I got hot and headed home. We spent the evening going to stores looking for a cooler. The plan is to pick apples today, and we are experiencing a heat wave. We are going out of town, and taking our cooler. So , I wanted to  buy a cooler to put the apples in and keep them cooler. Three stores later, I finally found one. I had that problem last time I went shopping for a cooler. Maybe people don't use them anymore.

Food is been going so so. I have been tracking.  Still eating more snacks than I would like . Weight is maintaining. And I am delaying before I have snacks, and sitting down and enjoying them. I have to admit, a little part of me was hoping jogging would help me lose weight. But, the truth is cardio doesn't help me lose weight. It just makes me hungry. And I eat more than I burn. I'm hoping after my body adjusts that the hunger won't be as much.

Questions for people who've done the NF run app or the couch to 5k- What do you do if you get to a week and you can't do the full time of running? Say it's 3 minutes of running and you can only do 2? My plan had been to repeat the week until I could do it. But that won't work with the app. So maybe it's better to just do as much of the run as I can?  Then I would get a longer walk break, and next jog I might make 3 minutes. Honestly, running is a BIG area of self doubt for me. I have no faith at all that I will be able to run a mile without stopping, let alone 3 miles. What  I am telling myself is that I am totally capable of walking, and even if it takes me a year to get there, every little bit is an improvement. That said, today's workout was  1 minute jog , 2 minutes rest x 7. Did that without a huge challenge, then went and walked some more, totaling 9,000 steps.

Also I am reading the book written by the coach who trained the author of the book ,Ready to Run. You will have to forgive me, I don't have my Kindle, I'm sitting in the AC bedroom right now, and so I don't remember the name of the book. It is interesting.Feels more like it's for an advanced runner. It does have more drills in it though. Some are for your feet ,and require equipment that I don't have.

I did decide to drag out my balance beam my hubby made for me years ago. It is a 2 x4Or maybe 1 x 2?), and set up to walk on the skinny side. I put it away because it became too easy. Now I find it super hard again, and couldn't walk across without touching my foot down. So, I will play with that some.

• Like 8
  • That's Metal 1

Hey Elastigirl!

On running C25K.   I did a program for it.    Honest to pete, my history with running was this:   In highschool when a mile run was mandatory, I was excused with a doctors note due to exercise induced asthma.      When I started playing hockey and my teammates did fun runs all the time, I wanted to go with them, so picked up an app and started training.          I focused on running and let weights and other training lower a bit, and was able to do the program.  I successfully ran my first 5k afterwards, without a single walk break, at a slow, easy peasy pace of 12 min miles.  LOL.     I continued to run for a bit, and my best ever run was a 5 mile non stop, at 10min/mile.   

If the app you're using breaks the runs down in a way that isn't working for you.  Try another app.   Or, repeat the last week you could do.    One thing I've heard people say as a tip, is don't worry about speed for now.    Just worry about running as slow as you need to get the full run time in.   Speed and pace improving can come later, if at all, pending your desires. :)

• Like 2

Level 75.5 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

23 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Questions for people who've done the NF run app or the couch to 5k- What do you do if you get to a week and you can't do the full time of running? Say it's 3 minutes of running and you can only do 2? My plan had been to repeat the week until I could do it. But that won't work with the app. So maybe it's better to just do as much of the run as I can?  Then I would get a longer walk break, and next jog I might make 3 minutes. Honestly, running is a BIG area of self doubt for me. I have no faith at all that I will be able to run a mile without stopping, let alone 3 miles. What  I am telling myself is that I am totally capable of walking, and even if it takes me a year to get there, every little bit is an improvement. That said, today's workout was  1 minute jog , 2 minutes rest x 7. Did that without a huge challenge, then went and walked some more, totaling 9,000 steps.

This may not be helpful, but I never really found a training app that worked for me.

I do use Strava to track my total time and distance stats, but I decided on my intervals and noted them in my journal/in Strava after the run. 

Strava does track time as you run, so I'd walk x minutes and glance at my phone periodically to check when my run time starts. Then run y minutes, glancing at my phone until run time is over and repeat. 

This was useful for me because it let me know when to level up. I'd get to the point where I missed the 3 minute cut off for running because I was in the zone and didn't check my phone in time for the next walk interval. That told me I was ready to try for 4 or 5 minutes of running next time.

• Like 2

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

EPIC Quest

On 8/12/2021 at 10:26 PM, Elastigirl said:

I did decide to drag out my balance beam my hubby made for me years ago. It is a 2 x4Or maybe 1 x 2?), and set up to walk on the skinny side. I put it away because it became too easy. Now I find it super hard again, and couldn't walk across without touching my foot down. So, I will play with that some.

This is awesome, definitely seems like a skill worth maintaining!

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current hiding out in a battle log: KB Girl's journal

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 8/12/2021 at 11:26 PM, Elastigirl said:

I'm hardly the person to answer this, but I doubt it matters much what you do in the beginning, as long as you give each run a decent try! It's also better to do a bit less than end up hating it. The few times I tried to run I preferred to do something like 1 song off, one song on (and tweak song length accordingly). Or freestyle it, e.g. when it gets uncomfortable push just until the next lamp post and then decide if I want to walk. I didn't like having an app telling me what to do because it was always too hard too easy depending on the day.

Either way, I bet you'll really surprise yourself! :) 

• Like 2

I've been percolating on your running issues specifically with regards to Couch to 5k, and reflecting on my past experiences with related programs and apps.  I seem to recall that the original Couch to 5k program had some easily missed advice specifically around pacing of runs.  Now, take this with a shaker of salt.  This is totally from my memory and that is not such a reliable thing, but what I recall is it saying that speed is much less important than that the run speed is greater than the walk speed.  Especially when first switching to a new run duration, a very slow run is absolutely fine as long as it is faster than your walking speed.  I even remember this being emphasized with the Zombies, Run! version of the Couch to 5k program.  They even recommended starting with a walk, and fast walk if that is where you are at.  And somewhere, I think I saw going through the program more than once, first with a slower run pace, and then again with a faster run pace if you want to be faster.  I'm mostly with Mad Hatter though, I usually hate having an app tell me when to go and when to stop.

Milythael Assassin

Current Activity: Milythael Acts Like an Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

Challenges: Intro, 123, 4567, 891011 12
PVPs: Demon Slaying, HOoRAY, Meditation,
 Poses, Juggling 30/30 Squat

On 8/12/2021 at 4:26 PM, Elastigirl said:

Woohoo for a new (old) challenge!  I hope the heat subsides soon!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

I've heard numerous criticisms of couch to 5k specifically because it ramps up too quickly. I definitely recommend repeating a week until you feel prepared to move up a level. Not sure what to tell you if your app doesn't allow for that. I haven't looked into this too much, but I've heard good things about None to Run because it goes at a slower pace and repeated weeks are built into the program. But not sure if you'd want to switch programs or stick with what you've got.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

I hate running. A lot of that came from my youth but I never thought I'd run a full mile. I don't know  your exact situation but I know  you will get there as you keep pushing! Apps like couch to 5k are great for some people, but we are not all the same. Do what you can but keep pushing yourself and I can guaruntee you will get to an unbroken mile!

Im sure you have already done this but find a store that fits shoes to your feet and how you run. That is always a huge help.

When I try to run I have a "running motion but slower than fast walk" that I can do. It's a bit hard to explain but I feel like that is a good way to keep pushing to longer runs. But again thats what works for me. Keep pushing and I know you will get there!

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 7:29 AM, Starpuck said:

Hey Elastigirl!

On running C25K.   I did a program for it.    Honest to pete, my history with running was this:   In highschool when a mile run was mandatory, I was excused with a doctors note due to exercise induced asthma.      When I started playing hockey and my teammates did fun runs all the time, I wanted to go with them, so picked up an app and started training.          I focused on running and let weights and other training lower a bit, and was able to do the program.  I successfully ran my first 5k afterwards, without a single walk break, at a slow, easy peasy pace of 12 min miles.  LOL.     I continued to run for a bit, and my best ever run was a 5 mile non stop, at 10min/mile.   

If the app you're using breaks the runs down in a way that isn't working for you.  Try another app.   Or, repeat the last week you could do.    One thing I've heard people say as a tip, is don't worry about speed for now.    Just worry about running as slow as you need to get the full run time in.   Speed and pace improving can come later, if at all, pending your desires. :)

What a cool story! I'm pretty sure that as a kid and teen , I had undiagnosed exercise asthma.  The only running I've done as an adult is sprints, so it's a big adjustment to me to learn to slow myself down.

On 8/13/2021 at 1:44 PM, MezzotheLefty said:

This may not be helpful, but I never really found a training app that worked for me.

I do use Strava to track my total time and distance stats, but I decided on my intervals and noted them in my journal/in Strava after the run. 

Strava does track time as you run, so I'd walk x minutes and glance at my phone periodically to check when my run time starts. Then run y minutes, glancing at my phone until run time is over and repeat. 

This was useful for me because it let me know when to level up. I'd get to the point where I missed the 3 minute cut off for running because I was in the zone and didn't check my phone in time for the next walk interval. That told me I was ready to try for 4 or 5 minutes of running next time.

Thanks, I really like the idea of recording my times. What motivates me is improving, so tracking whatever I do will help me

On 8/14/2021 at 12:57 PM, KB Girl said:

This is awesome, definitely seems like a skill worth maintaining!

Thanks

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm hardly the person to answer this, but I doubt it matters much what you do in the beginning, as long as you give each run a decent try! It's also better to do a bit less than end up hating it. The few times I tried to run I preferred to do something like 1 song off, one song on (and tweak song length accordingly). Or freestyle it, e.g. when it gets uncomfortable push just until the next lamp post and then decide if I want to walk. I didn't like having an app telling me what to do because it was always too hard too easy depending on the day.

Either way, I bet you'll really surprise yourself! :) 

Yes, that is the problem with an app. I do want to track it some way though, because seeing improvement is what motivates me.  A bit of a challenge motivates me, so I am trying for that, but like you said not so much I hate it

23 hours ago, milythael said:

I've been percolating on your running issues specifically with regards to Couch to 5k, and reflecting on my past experiences with related programs and apps.  I seem to recall that the original Couch to 5k program had some easily missed advice specifically around pacing of runs.  Now, take this with a shaker of salt.  This is totally from my memory and that is not such a reliable thing, but what I recall is it saying that speed is much less important than that the run speed is greater than the walk speed.  Especially when first switching to a new run duration, a very slow run is absolutely fine as long as it is faster than your walking speed.  I even remember this being emphasized with the Zombies, Run! version of the Couch to 5k program.  They even recommended starting with a walk, and fast walk if that is where you are at.  And somewhere, I think I saw going through the program more than once, first with a slower run pace, and then again with a faster run pace if you want to be faster.  I'm mostly with Mad Hatter though, I usually hate having an app tell me when to go and when to stop.

Thanks, Yes, I need to remember and work on doing slow running, or even brisk walking. I like the idea of going through it a couple of times. Knowing me, after a bit I will get tired of running, but then later I will pick it back up

15 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Woohoo for a new (old) challenge!  I hope the heat subsides soon!

Thanks!

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I kinda like not having to think about what to do.. but no experience with running apps. 

Yeah, it is really nice to just set my interval timer and go. I think if I am tired and the time has not run out I will just go slower, or brisk walk

2 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I've heard numerous criticisms of couch to 5k specifically because it ramps up too quickly. I definitely recommend repeating a week until you feel prepared to move up a level. Not sure what to tell you if your app doesn't allow for that. I haven't looked into this too much, but I've heard good things about None to Run because it goes at a slower pace and repeated weeks are built into the program. But not sure if you'd want to switch programs or stick with what you've got.

Thanks, it seems like I've heard other people struggle. I haven't yet actually had problems, I'm just thinking I might

1 hour ago, cn3wton said:

I hate running. A lot of that came from my youth but I never thought I'd run a full mile. I don't know  your exact situation but I know  you will get there as you keep pushing! Apps like couch to 5k are great for some people, but we are not all the same. Do what you can but keep pushing yourself and I can guarantee you will get to an unbroken mile!

Im sure you have already done this but find a store that fits shoes to your feet and how you run. That is always a huge help.

When I try to run I have a "running motion but slower than fast walk" that I can do. It's a bit hard to explain but I feel like that is a good way to keep pushing to longer runs. But again that's what works for me. Keep pushing and I know you will get there!

Thanks. Actually, nope, not getting new shoes. I'm going more with the minimalist shoe theory, working on form and strengthening my feet. So, just using the shoes that  I used for walking.My shoes  have very little support and little arch, but the theory is that I will be able to feel the ground, and my feet will more naturally do the correct  movement because of that. If that doesn't work, I'm not buying fancy shoes, I'll just do something else beside running

• Like 2

Back from my long weekend. I have a ton of stuff to get done today, friends are coming over, and I need to unpack, so  just a short review of the week.

I did ok on tracking  on  my eating skills log while I was home. Away, I just focused on eating slow and enjoying the meals. I did poorly on my goal of saying yes 50% of the time, and not this time 50% of the time(goal for at home). I find myself resenting the goal, and it just makes it harder. So, for now my goals are just to track, and if I have an extra snack, to sit down , enjoy it and be thankful.

The church conference was great.Very encouraging. The weather was bleah. 100 degrees, and a air quality alert for most of the time. Tried a bit of geocaching, but gave up after  5 minutes. Monday the air was better (there was actually a fire not to fire from us, so I hope they were able to get that under control) but it was hot. Instead of geocaching, we waded in the river, and read books in the shade. Which is also nice.Left in the afternoon, as it is an almost 6 hour drive home.

Today's cool news: I completed the run. I was unsure how it would go, but I just went super slow. That's the big thing for me, to learn pacing. It was 5 x 2 min jog, 2 minutes rest. Before the run I do some drills, and even after the run, I had enough energy to do some more (skipping, leg kicks, hops)

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Today's cool news: I completed the run. I was unsure how it would go, but I just went super slow. That's the big thing for me, to learn pacing. It was 5 x 2 min jog, 2 minutes rest. Before the run I do some drills, and even after the run, I had enough energy to do some more (skipping, leg kicks, hops)

Way to go on the runs.  Epic even.

• Like 1

Milythael Assassin

Current Activity: Milythael Acts Like an Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

Challenges: Intro, 123, 4567, 891011 12
PVPs: Demon Slaying, HOoRAY, Meditation,
 Poses, Juggling 30/30 Squat

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I find myself resenting the goal, and it just makes it harder.

I feel you on this. Unless someone is legitimately in a position of authority over me, I resent it when people tell me what to do, even if it's a good idea, and often even if they don't mean it in a bossy way. But it's extra weird when the person I resent bossing me around is...me?

image.jpeg.af9895d073a093f396ee673b52fd64ce.jpeg

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Very nice!

• Like 2

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I find myself resenting the goal, and it just makes it harder.

This is so true!  

33 minutes ago, Artemis Prime said:

I feel you on this. Unless someone is legitimately in a position of authority over me, I resent it when people tell me what to do, even if it's a good idea, and often even if they don't mean it in a bossy way. But it's extra weird when the person I resent bossing me around is...me?

And this?!?!?  This is totally the truth!  

It's not just me....  whew!  

• Like 1

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Take Care!

Congratulations for completing the run!

If you eventually get bored with your program, one of the ones that motivated me to jog was the Zombies Run app.  Turning the entire thing into a quasi-rpg motivated me to at least keep going so I could see what happened next or so I could pick up materials to build my base.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2