The Goo Phase of Metamorphosis [Manarelle]

84069678_574612266486748_4889716929582858240_n.png?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=4NDlRpQUA9AAX-1e_Sn&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=b77325888990867d56045954be529b08&oe=6129D0D2

Background, aka whining:

Spoiler

Right now, I am feel like a disgusting pile of goo. Caught the yearly sinus infection last Thursday, and basically didn't sleep for a week. I'm living out of a hotel until training is done (less than five weeks!), and the a/c is..... persistent. Out of probably-never-cleaned-since-the-building-was-built ducts. And somehow, no matter where I was in the classroom or my bedroom, it was always blowing directly on me, which sucks horribly when you have a sinus infection. Anyway, I'll spare you the details, but I finally got to sleep long enough to dream last night, and I feel like I'm on the mend today. I sincerely hope that trend continues.

Exercise goals? HA HA HA HA right. I couldn't even sleep due to an inability to breathe. I did try to get some easy walks in last week, but somehow managed to get stuck in freak thunderstorms every time until I gave up. At one point I literally sheltered under an overhang at a nearby building because it popped up so fast, and I had to wait 25 minutes as it blew over. The last time I tried, I brought an umbrella; the storm had such ridiculous winds that I was holding the umbrella sideways, braced against my body, and was still getting wet. So yeah. I gave up. I can deal with my body or the world hating me... both at once is a bit much.

Long story short, I'm feeling sort of worthless at the moment, even though I know it'll pass and I'll be proud of sticking with everything once I graduate training and start actually working. Training ends about the same time this challenge does, so here's my super simple survival strategy (goals):

• Study: make it to graduation
  • Food: Eat as healthfully as possible, since workouts ain't happening.
  • Stairs: Take the stairs once a day as a bare minimum of staying mobile
  • Exercise (extra credit): aim for 3 walks a week and situps + PT on off days. No penalty for not doing so unless it's legit just being lazy. 

In the depths  of my gooey mess-ness, that looks pathetic compared to past me, but past me was also healthy and had a steady schedule. Goo me has neither. So I'll do my best. 

• Like 5

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

This has been a really long training.  I remember when I first started my career we had a 6 week offsite training program I thought that was super long.  Even the army's initial training program was only 8 weeks.  

Being away from home for an extended period like this is hard enough without the extra problems you have been experiencing s be patient with yourself.  

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Thanks guys. I have gotten at least some sleep for the past two nights and am feeling better, though exercise is still not fully on the list. Got a walk in yesterday and on track to do sit-ups and PT tonight. 

@WhiteGhost - yeah, it is long training, but it'll be worth it. I've done long-term stays in other countries before, so I thought this would be fine. Was not expecting the illness to take me out though. I'm very grateful it was just a sinus infection and not The Thing. 

I wasn't intending this to be a quote-ful challenge, but I came across this today, and it felt appropriate. Live long and prosper. 

229967771_4401348169886305_7739208349821759527_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=WXKJ8Y4Yx60AX-4dPh1&tn=kS3SzPPXQYoDNqC-&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=546d59a8b152b15a66422683bff11c3c&oe=612C6921

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

Thanks guys. I have gotten at least some sleep for the past two nights and am feeling better, though exercise is still not fully on the list. Got a walk in yesterday and on track to do sit-ups and PT tonight. 

@WhiteGhost - yeah, it is long training, but it'll be worth it. I've done long-term stays in other countries before, so I thought this would be fine. Was not expecting the illness to take me out though. I'm very grateful it was just a sinus infection and not The Thing. 

I wasn't intending this to be a quote-ful challenge, but I came across this today, and it felt appropriate. Live long and prosper. 

229967771_4401348169886305_7739208349821759527_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=WXKJ8Y4Yx60AX-4dPh1&tn=kS3SzPPXQYoDNqC-&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=546d59a8b152b15a66422683bff11c3c&oe=612C6921

I heard the Star Trek Fanfare in my head when I got to the end of this.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Week... 1?

• Study: doing well. 
  • Food: mostly doing well. There was a bad cookie day.
  • Stairs: Missed 1 day
  • Exercise (extra credit): 3 walking days, 2 sit-up/PT days. 

I'm definitely getting squishier - the mirror shows a lack of definition in the stomach and arm area, which I do not like at all. Some honest reflection tells me that I can't commit to regular workouts yet, so I'll have to deal with it until training is over; I would rather do a complete reset and then really focus on it than stress over sporadic workouts that aren't effective and don't build a regular habit. I'm just grumpy about four years of gym work going away. 

Otherwise, I'm doing ok. A few classmates are stressing out over next week being a mini-hell-week, but I've done a lot of the requirements ahead of time, and am feeling confident that it'll be fine (knock on wood). I do need to re-do a presentation, but it's more of a "get to" than "have to," and I refuse to stress over little things like that. I also expressly made time to do some sketches last night, as I needed a creativity boost. All I had was post-it notes and some pens, but I'm happy with how they turned out. Here's to a decent next week, and one week closer to being not-goo. 

136970e44be867127f3179d625ffa9cb.jpeg

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Following to see your gooeyness turn into a beautiful butterfly!

• Haha 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

17 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Always gooey for you, sunshine. Oh wait, that's mushy. Ah, whatever. :D 

Well so long as I can get a firm grip on... Wait, what are we talking about again?

• Haha 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

On 8/7/2021 at 3:33 PM, Manarelle said:

I'm definitely getting squishier - the mirror shows a lack of definition in the stomach and arm area, which I do not like at all. Some honest reflection tells me that I can't commit to regular workouts yet, so I'll have to deal with it until training is over; I would rather do a complete reset and then really focus on it than stress over sporadic workouts that aren't effective and don't build a regular habit. I'm just grumpy about four years of gym work going away. 

The upside is that it'll come back faster than it took to build it the first time.

Love the little post it drawings! :)

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl puts down the phone

2023 Battle Log: over here

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Week 2!

• Study: Passed the last major test with a 95. One more quiz this week and that's the end of the graded stuff. 
  • Food: Did the best I could but the offerings were pretty bad. 
  • Stairs: Made it. 
  • Exercise (extra credit): 3 walking days, 3 sit-up/PT days. 

Pretty decent week. The last big "fail this and you're out" test is over, there's one thing that needs turned in this week that I'm 85% done with, and then it's just putting the face time in at the classroom til we're done. Unfortunately, two people tested positive for covid here; no one that I've been around or in the same room with, but the program is deciding how to handle it. Pray/ send good vibes/ light a candle/ whatever for me that they don't just lock down for two weeks and then resume class (apparently that's what they did the last time cases started spiking and a new hire tested positive). Right now, there's 2.5 weeks 'til graduation and I REALLY don't want to stay here in quarantine for two extra weeks beyond that. 

• Like 5

Posting this early because I'm already done with the week, regardless of what the calendar/ clock says. Week 3!

• Study: Quiz done. No grade yet, but I felt very good about it.
  • Food: Same: Did the best I could but the offerings were pretty bad. 
  • Stairs: Accidentally doubled up a day or two. 
  • Exercise (extra credit): Untracked weirdness caused by inane storm systems coming through. Not great, not suck. 

I lived. Everyone else did, too (there were uncertain moments here and there). We all made it to the weekend. That's the only worthwhile thing I can say about this week. We did get updated policy that zero people who are not already at the training site can attend graduation, due to rising COVID cases pretty much everywhere. My family had already gotten accommodations in the area (thankfully not an expensive trip, but still), so we're going to have lunch together after graduation and hang out for a bit. I don't mind not having them there - they've been to like 20 other things I've graduated from in life - but it's frustrating that this could have been avoided had people not been [expletives deleted] about just getting vaccinated and following rules. 

• Like 6

Good Saturday. Decided to take a random stroll around the area and found some paths in the woods that didn't feel murder-scene-like. Saw a truly amazing variety of mushrooms and enjoyed the peace of not being around humans. Came back and wrote a short story, although it's not the Sylvia Bishop character. Need a couple more days like this, please. 

https://maveracite.blogspot.com/2021/08/peace.html

• Like 3

And because the world is the way it is, I found a billion tiny ticks on me today (ok, like 12). The first four hours of my morning was spent stripping the entire room and deep cleaning both it and myself, despite having done laundry and cleaning yesterday so I wouldn't have to do anything today. I am so ready to gtfo of here. 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 3

Week 4:

• Study: Done. Passed all the graded stuff, just wrapping up some "good to know" things this week and next. 
  • Food: Same: Not great options again, but I did as well as I could. 
  • Stairs: Yup. 
  • Exercise (extra credit): Yes. 

Turned out that ALL of Sunday was tick-eviction. Monday was an early morning clinic visit, where they said those probably weren't lyme-carrying ticks, but here take these massive antibiotics just in case. Thankfully, that did not ruin my stomach (I brought probiotics with me, just in case), and there haven't been any side effects other than itchy bumps that are getting better. Still, not a fun start to the week. 

Things did get better, though, when I got my final "grade" and basically the ok to graduate and start working. This week has been significantly less stressful, and I'm starting to make plans for being home next weekend, which I am extremely grateful for and looking forward to. Also have hella plans for the next challenge, when I will hopefully have a regular schedule again. 

• Like 5

tumblr_ozde42otKp1uuz7jko1_500.gifv 

Good news: I survived training and am finally back home!

Less good news: the gentleman has apparently not touched anything except the vacuum since I left, three months ago. As in, not the thermostat, not the blinds (my plants are alive, but ghosts), and DEFINITELY not the backyard. When I left, having just pulled all the non-grass weeds out of the center, versus when I returned: 

image.png.2690d9bde088a927552d353dfef85c6e.png image.png.9a8aff0f7fde485c157d811bed003fba.png

The neighbor's kid totally squealed on the gentleman, too: I was trying to clean some of that up yesterday, and he told me that, one day prior to my return home, the gentleman was out back with the weed whacker, trying to make it look less like a forest. Ah, well. Also, apparently a windstorm blew through a few weeks ago and shredded the greenhouse covering. I'm debating getting hard paneling for it instead of putting up sheeting every year, but that's a question for AFTER the yard looks habitable again. 

Otherwise, the weekend has been spent unpacking and settling back in. There's a gigantic laundry list of things to do, but that's a problem for the next challenge. For now, I'm home, I survived, and although I can't find the scale (another question for the gentleman), my clothes all fit and I can still see some definition in my stomach, so I'm counting this challenge as a win. 

• Like 5