Scaly Freak searches for a sleep spell

9 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Spoiler as a courtesy to anyone who wants to avoid talking politics.

Please put comments and responses in spoiler tags for the same reason. Let's make it easy for anyone who avoids politics talk for their mental health to do so, without needing to avoid the entire thread. :) 

Hide contents

According to those who want to ban them, forcing a person to wear a mask is a form of oppression, a violation of the civil rights and liberties guaranteed in the constitution, and attempts to mandate masks are the first steps towards a fascist police state take-over that all true patriots have an obligation to try and prevent. There is a lot of overlap between this group, and the part of the population that either believes that the insurrection on January 6 was actually a coup by Antifa, who disguised themselves as Trump supporters in order to frame innocent patriots for their crimes, or they believe that the events of January 6 were actually acts of true patriotism, because they also believe the results of the national election in November of 2020 to be entirely fraudulent and invalid, so rushing a federal government building in an effort to overthrow these fraudulent election  results was the right thing to do.

I wish I was joking. The people in charge of legislation and legislature in my state are firmly on the extreme fringe side of conservative extremist politics in the US today. We have some serious crazy serving in the State Legislature, and unfortunately they are crazy on a sane level that makes them effective in pushing their extreme agenda through as legislation. Disturbingly, the majority of the state's voters are not, there is just not enough interest in participating in local elections for anything to change.

Spoiler

Oppression, huh. I have a very different idea of what the most urgent forms of oppression are in America. But apparently they're too banal for anyone to care about. Being obliged to take a slightly inconvenient measure in support of public health is not oppression.

I'm sorry your state legislators are extremists. Damn, but that's an inconvenient combination of sane and insane. Why can't they have insane theories and ineffective implementation? Or sane theories and effective implementation? Or even sane theories and ineffective... oh wait, that would be frustrating, too.

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 8/11/2021 at 11:15 AM, Scaly Freak said:

I live in a state that has tried to make mask mandates illegal, so to be told that a medical provider is following state guidelines instead of recommendations from the CDC and the WHO and other actual doctors, is really not fucking helping the anxiety.

People are stupid and I despise them.

Sister, I have a court order to "follow the guidelines" and I'm wanting to jump up and down saying "Which ones? On what day? Only during the full moon?"

I hear you.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:39 PM, Scaly Freak said:

As for the nightmares, they have calmed down considerably since the beginning of this challenge. I don't know why they are no longer bothering me, and that is a little bit annoying because it's hard to keep doing what works when I don't know what it is I should keep doing. 

Perhaps owning the nightmares has been helpful as well as more sleep. I don't know why, but I'm glad they're calmer now. You deserve rest!

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

On 7/31/2021 at 11:31 PM, Scaly Freak said:

1. Sleeping is not enjoyable. With exercise or other activities there's often some kind of joy or pleasure to be had just from the activity itself (walking or barbell lifting comes to mind)

"We are not compatible." -- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

ROFL. I am the exact opposite. I LOVE to sleep and hate to exercise. I find no pleasure in the activity of exercise. However, if I remember a dream (which fortunately is not often), it is almost always bad. So I do get that part. Can you sleep with a movie or something going softly in the background? I can't do it often because it keeps Mr. Ravenclaw awake, but  I like to "watch" something I've seen a bazillion times because I can lay there with my eyes closed and drift off more quickly. I would think that one couldn't dream on top of tv dialogue because that would be too much dialogue. 

Adulting is Hard. Jesus Helps. 

Spoiler

It seems that kind of crazy is going on all around the world- we've got 'freedom fighters' around here too who are adamant that we are giving up our basic rights and that soon we will have a totalitarian regime of madness. We even had 2 people like that at our gym- I say had because they quit. Not a tear was shed. 

They also believe our elections from last march were rigged and that the people in charge are secretly pedophiles who drink the blood of innocent children. 

I don't much like the people we have in charge either, but that's mostly because they're incompetent and unethical (for non-blood-drinking-reasons).

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl stomps on some frogs and goes to sleep (maybe)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 8/12/2021 at 5:46 PM, Heidi said:

Perhaps owning the nightmares has been helpful as well as more sleep. I don't know why, but I'm glad they're calmer now. You deserve rest!

That is definitely a possibility. Nightmares are one of the things that does lose its power if you stare them down and name them to their face.

On 8/12/2021 at 10:44 PM, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

ROFL. I am the exact opposite. I LOVE to sleep and hate to exercise. I find no pleasure in the activity of exercise. 

Well, I find no pleasure in 98% of exercise activities out there, so I can certainly understand this sentiment. One of my biggest frustrations and mental health challenges during the pandemic is that all the exercises I can think of to do at home fall in those 98%. :( 

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It seems that kind of crazy is going on all around the world- we've got 'freedom fighters' around here too who are adamant that we are giving up our basic rights and that soon we will have a totalitarian regime of madness. We even had 2 people like that at our gym- I say had because they quit. Not a tear was shed. 

They also believe our elections from last march were rigged and that the people in charge are secretly pedophiles who drink the blood of innocent children. 

I don't much like the people we have in charge either, but that's mostly because they're incompetent and unethical (for non-blood-drinking-reasons).

Spoiler

Those are more or less the conspiracy theories going around here in the US as well. I'm glad those particular people left your gym, largely because if they were vocal about their beliefs that would have the potential of making the mood in the room a but awkward and unpleasant.

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

How's things? Sleep average inching back up?

Yes, actually. Currently at an average of 5:46 slept per night, with an average sleep score of 86. I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to increase my average time slept per night every week this challenge.

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

It is Sunday which means I now I have my weekly sleep averages for Week 2. Time slept per night is at an average of 6 hrs 1 min, and the sleep score is at an average of 82.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Oh that’s good! An improvement over last week right? Setting even higher goals for the coming week? 

I'm undecided if I should bother with a goal this week, to be honest. I've taken the entire week off work (it's been too long since I took a chunk of time away from it), which mean I don't have to force myself out of bed at ix in the morning for the next five days. I'm thinking that instead of setting a goal and making the effort to go to bed before a certain time, I'm going to go to bed when I'm tired and sleep until I wake up, and try watch the numbers to see what they are. :)

I'm looking forward to being able to rest/sleep for the next week or so. :) 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Time slept per night is at an average of 6 hrs 1 min, and the sleep score is at an average of 82.

Excellent. Six hours is good progress!

2 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I'm thinking that instead of setting a goal and making the effort to go to bed before a certain time, I'm going to go to bed when I'm tired and sleep until I wake up, and try watch the numbers to see what they are. :)

Keeping the routine could be helpful, though, no? Anyway, enjoy your rest!

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

I'm also looking forward to reading as much as I can get my hands on.  For one, I am behind on my reading challenges, and I really want that book bag. For another, I have time to read, because outside of a couple of doctor's appointments, I have nothing else to do this week. I have four library books that need to go back tomorrow, potentially five if I finish the book I'm currently reading before noon tomorrow, and two requests I hope will arrive at my local branch by the day after tomorrow at the latest.

I am also in need of a place to track the books I've picked out and am planning to read for the Extreme Book Nerd challenge, so I will start here, and probably move it to the tracker post in the Reading Challenge thread if the list grows a bit too long.

Extreme Book Nerd To-Read list

Pulitzer winner/nominee:  Shakespeare's kitchen, by Lore Segal

Library Book Club title, current or past years: Fatal Light, by Richard Currey

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

Pulitzer winner/nominee:  Shakespeare's kitchen, by Lore Segal

Library Book Club title, current or past years: Fatal Light, by Richard Currey

What did you think of these?

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

17 minutes ago, Heidi said:

What did you think of these?

I haven't read them yet. Shakespeare's kitchen was available and is on its way to my library. Fatal Light has people waiting ahead of me, so it will be awhile before I can read that one. I will report back with thoughts and impressions as I get my hands on them though :) 

• Like 1

How many have you read from the challenge already? Which ones? Is it the Iowa Falls Library challenge? So many questions.

Why am I not a librarian?

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 |

1 hour ago, Heidi said:

How many have you read from the challenge already? Which ones? Is it the Iowa Falls Library challenge? So many questions.

22 out of the required 50. I have a counter in the post behind the link "Book Riot challenge 2021" in my signature.

The easy to pick ones first, of course. ;) 

No, it is not. It's a challenge hosted by my local library district. If I manage to read 20 books between January 1 and December 20 of this year, I get a cool black library card and I win a sexy black book bag. 

1 hour ago, Heidi said:

Why am I not a librarian?

Excellent question. Why aren't you?  

• Like 1

A black library card? That is cool. Like a library VIP card. Gets you into the private back room where they keep the Necronomicon, Unaussprechliche Kulte, and the Nine Gates of the Kingdom of Shadows. 

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

14 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

A black library card? That is cool. Like a library VIP card. Gets you into the private back room where they keep the Necronomicon, Unaussprechliche Kulte, and the Nine Gates of the Kingdom of Shadows. 

Along with all the Harry Potter books, The Hate U Give, and all the other banned/censored books in the US this year ;) 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

10 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I am also in need of a place to track the books I've picked out and am planning to read for the Extreme Book Nerd challenge, so I will start here, and probably move it to the tracker post in the Reading Challenge thread if the list grows a bit too long.

Don't move it on my account, I'd love reading related updates. It's inspiring! I know it's not a possibility for me at this point in life, but I definitely want to do a challenge like that when the kids are a bit older. Maybe I'll make my own version with a small list for myself and include a to-read-to list.. 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl stomps on some frogs and goes to sleep (maybe)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 8/15/2021 at 8:55 PM, Scaly Freak said:

I'm undecided if I should bother with a goal this week, to be honest. I've taken the entire week off work (it's been too long since I took a chunk of time away from it), which mean I don't have to force myself out of bed at ix in the morning for the next five days. I'm thinking that instead of setting a goal and making the effort to go to bed before a certain time, I'm going to go to bed when I'm tired and sleep until I wake up, and try watch the numbers to see what they are. :)

I'm looking forward to being able to rest/sleep for the next week or so. :) 

I hope you get a lot of sleep and relaxing reading.

I noticed I was sleeping about 9 hours a night when I was on vacation. I expected that the first couple days, but it continued all week. Apparently I was more tired than I wanted to admit.

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I noticed I was sleeping about 9 hours a night when I was on vacation. I expected that the first couple days, but it continued all week. Apparently I was more tired than I wanted to admit.

It's not quite nine hours here, but I'm definitely noticing a similar pattern. Starting with the night leading up to Monday, the average for this week so far is 8 hours and 3 minutes. :) 

• Like 5

On 8/15/2021 at 8:55 PM, Scaly Freak said:

I'm thinking that instead of setting a goal and making the effort to go to bed before a certain time, I'm going to go to bed when I'm tired and sleep until I wake up, and try watch the numbers to see what they are. :)

Happy Wonder Woman GIF by DC Comics

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

6 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

It's not quite nine hours here, but I'm definitely noticing a similar pattern. Starting with the night leading up to Monday, the average for this week so far is 8 hours and 3 minutes. :) 

Excellent!