Harriet's Noviciate Healing Magic

15 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Just skimming most of the sunscreen discussion- but this I relate to very much! 

Haven't used sunscreen much in the last couple of years, just to prevent burning on those crazy hot days where you have to be outside out of shade for some reason.. we don't get that harsh of a sun here right? 

Interesting, that's what I was thinking of doing. Saving sunscreen for proper hot days. I never burn. But the internet says you should wear sunscreen every day, in winter, inside, while you sleep with a balaclava on, or you'll get old.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Tuesday

Potions: credit. No poison. I ate whole foods and fasted for 16 hours (I'm aiming for caloric maintenance, though) That's probably too short for many benefits but the plan is to build up to longer periods. I made basil into a pesto to eat with boiled eggs, seared capsicum and live cultured sauerkraut. Drank kefir with honey and wondered if the honey kills the bacteria. Ate 100% chocolate and wondered how much caffeine it has.

Oh yeah, I forgot. I tasted a bunch of high quality chocolates on the holiday with my brother and Mr Harriet. The idea was to work my way up from light to dark chocolate and learn to appreciate it but something unexpected happened: my favourites were the 45% and the 100%. I didn't really like anything in between 60 and 90 since bittersweet is not my favourite flavour, but the 100% is delicious and bitter-creamy. So now I have a small amount of medicinally black chocolate a few times a day.

Defence: credit. I meditated for ten minutes. Also did 11 minutes breathwork last night before bed because I finished my stretching and everything in good time.

Transfiguration: credit. Two small walks. No strength because I'm exhausted. I stretched before bed last night.

Charms: credit. Screens off at 9pm, in bed by 9:30pm. Slept well.

I am discouraged by how tired I am. It's not as bad as yesterday but I still had to lie down repeatedly (it's better, as usual, in the evening). Not a nice reward for cleaning up the routine but it could be the lack of caffeine, I guess. I'm trying to ignore the little internal voice that says I'm a hypochondriac/lazy shit. (Actually this voice was more quiet today because I was too tired to even sit up and play a video game to pass the time, and playing video games is my usual evidence that I'm lazy. Because naturally everyone, given the chance, would love to abandon all meaningful projects and just listlessly kill time until they get old and die.) I'm also trying to ignore the other little voice that says I did something wrong and, just about the time I decided to start treating the fatigue seriously as a medical condition, I have unwittingly made it permanently worse (but how? not enough lifting? the vaccine? eating TOO MUCH black forest cake? a strange scent on the breeze?). I hope it will be better soon. Apparently caffeine withdrawal can last 2-9 days, if that's what it is.

No future-reaching projects today unless you count a line or two of knitting. Though I guess it should count because it has an end point with a finished product.

In more exciting news I saw a column of smoke on my walk this morning, and discovered the source--a car fully in flames. While I watched (big pretty flames!) it made a popping noise and a lot of sparks sprayed everywhere (pretty sparks!). Then the fire dudes drenched it.

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

From the time I've known you around here- this extra tiredness will pass, hopefully sooner rather than later. There might be a cause like the caffeine, or it could be recovery from your holiday or it just might be part of your normal phase cycling. What it is not is evidence that you are lazy or that you made it worse somehow! 

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Interesting, that's what I was thinking of doing. Saving sunscreen for proper hot days. I never burn. But the internet says you should wear sunscreen every day, in winter, inside, while you sleep with a balaclava on, or you'll get old.

ya, I don't mind looking older eventually, it's cool. 

also I'm craving some proper German sauerkraut now. 

• Thanks 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl stomps on some frogs and goes to sleep (maybe)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 8/1/2021 at 12:06 PM, Harriet said:

I am dropping the written year because I feel as though my priority needs to be the energy/fatigue. With energy, I will do my writing and painting. Without it, I won’t. 

I totally get this. I dropped out of college last month.  I have no idea if I will ever go back and finish my degree. Though I do miss it, and somethings slightly doubt my decision, I am mostly so much happier and less stressed. Do you miss writing, or does it feel good to take a break? 

• Like 1

Adulting is Hard. Jesus Helps. 

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

From the time I've known you around here- this extra tiredness will pass, hopefully sooner rather than later. There might be a cause like the caffeine, or it could be recovery from your holiday or it just might be part of your normal phase cycling. What it is not is evidence that you are lazy or that you made it worse somehow! 

Thank you for reminding me. I'm sure it will pass ❤️

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

also I'm craving some proper German sauerkraut now. 

I look forward to having extremely long, thick silver hair. But if I can keep my skin a little more elastic with sunscreen, I would do that.

8 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

I totally get this. I dropped out of college last month.  I have no idea if I will ever go back and finish my degree. Though I do miss it, and somethings slightly doubt my decision, I am mostly so much happier and less stressed. Do you miss writing, or does it feel good to take a break? 

No indeed, I feel better when writing. But I do it at home, for short periods of my own choosing. Formal study and work, on the other hand, were both immensely stressful for me, and I do not miss them at all. It was very, very hard getting through school and then my degrees and internship with the fatigue and anxiety.

I am glad you're happier and less stressed. We don't have to do every thing.

8 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

I don't particularly like it and now have a very expensive skin care routine. First time in my life I've ever ever bothered. No idea if all the peptides, retinol A, etc will even undo anything, lol. 

Let me know if you find the fountain of youth 🙂

30 minutes ago, fearless 2.0 said:

you are doing everything just right in my opinion. and Im glad you didnt listen to the voice saying you are lazy. All chronically ill people know this voice and its an asshole! hoping the tiredness gets tired of being around you! HUG! ❤️

Thank you. (Why do I think I am the only lazy person ever, and everyone else is ill or disabled or reacting understandably and logically to inhumane work and  unnatural social conditions and addictive technology? Pure hubris, now I think on it, to believe I am uniquely bad).

If I just keep being sensible and working on the four pillars of healing magic, the tiredness will undoubtedly give up and go away.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I don't mind looking like I've lived a good life. I do mind looking like that life ha bene longer than my current age ;) 

10 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

I don't particularly like it and now have a very expensive skin care routine. First time in my life I've ever ever bothered. No idea if all the peptides, retinol A, etc will even undo anything, lol. 

Retinol actually will, but you have to keep at it for a couple of years if you want to see results. Before and After pictures are recommended if you want to be able to compare. 

And if you use all of the above and are not wearing sunscreen every day, you are wasting your time and money, because the UV Rays will undo everything the skincare ingredients do for your skin, and will do it even more effectively than if you were not using retinols and acids to strip off the protective layers of skins cells every day. Just a heads-up for you there, and please do remember that using a moisturizer or a foundation with SPF will not be nearly enough to protect hte skin, because you will not be applying a large enough amount of either one, to get the protection your skin needs.

Though if you've done your research you knew that already and you don't need me to tell you anything about skincare basics. :) 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

If I just keep being sensible and working on the four pillars of healing magic, the tiredness will undoubtedly give up and go away.

And if it doesn't, that is not your fault. Medical conditions sometimes need more than lifestyle changes and what we can do on our own, and all that means is that we have a medical conditions. I will never be able to manage my asthma entirely on my own, and that' not a reflection on me personally. Neither is your fatigue a reflection on you.

Just in case you needed a reminder :) 

• Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

34 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

And if it doesn't, that is not your fault. Medical conditions sometimes need more than lifestyle changes and what we can do on our own, and all that means is that we have a medical conditions. I will never be able to manage my asthma entirely on my own, and that' not a reflection on me personally. Neither is your fatigue a reflection on you.

Just in case you needed a reminder :) 

Argh. I hope it responds to lifestyle changes because it's shrinking my life. Less important than how it reflects on me is what I can do. But thank you. I'll try to treat it like asthma.

• Like 2

Wednesday

Potions: credit. Fasted 16 hours. Ate no poison. Did eat liver. Am skipping dinner because I have a headache, and drinking turmeric milk instead.

Defence: credit. Meditated 10 minutes this morning, did 10 minutes breathwork last night.

Transfiguration: credit. One walk in the park, two walks for groceries and chores. No strength until this bad patch is behind me.
Charms: credit. Screens off at nine, stretching and breathwork and in bed by 9:30. Slept well. In fact this week's sleep has been more consistent than the last couple of weeks. It's nice to have the watch collecting data for me.

I felt fine this morning before eating, and worked a little on my writing project. I felt slightly worse after breakfast, and notably worse after lunch, and now I have a nasty headache. Oh well. My neighbour saw me in the stairwell today, and noted that I wasn't wearing a mask. She exclaimed "you're not wearing that..." and indicated around the mask area with displeasure. She seemed happy about me not wearing the mask, and I wonder if I have been offending her this last year by wearing masks inside. I feel that she and some others were perhaps less friendly when I was wearing it. Even if one doesn't believe wearing a mask is necessary, why would she be upset about me wearing one? At worst it is unnecessary and hides my too-old-to-be-this-shy smile.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Argh. I hope it responds to lifestyle changes because it's shrinking my life. Less important than how it reflects on me is what I can do. But thank you. I'll try to treat it like asthma.

I hope it does too, largely because a full life is everyone's right. But if it doesn't, and medical intervention is necessary, don't hesitate to jump on the medical treatment options, if that's what it takes. :) 

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

Skimming through the skin discussion made me question my laziness for a second there. 😛I only wear sunscreen in the beginning of the summer before my skin's adjusted. And I only use one super mild product that I sometimes use as a cleanser and sometimes moisturizer and sometimes as a wind barrier. But you know what, my family has good genetics so whatever. 😉I also wonder if a lot of claims about premature aging aren't greatly exaggerated anyway (as long as you don't burn) in order to sell stuff. My mum used a bunch of fancy skin care, and she made me use them too as well as getting facials. Now I feel like all of those things were needlessly aggressive, and the worst part was that if you used one product you kinda had to use another product to compensate. These days sleep and hydration is like 90% of skin care for me. 🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Even if one doesn't believe wearing a mask is necessary, why would she be upset about me wearing one?

Obviously I've no clue about what's going on with her, but personally I do feel masks very alienating. It both signals "stay away from me" and makes it much harder to read facial expressions. So there is that. Or she's a conspiracy theorist. 

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

I felt fine this morning before eating, and worked a little on my writing project.

Progress no? Even if it didn't last it's awesome you got some writing in.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Obviously I've no clue about what's going on with her, but personally I do feel masks very alienating. It both signals "stay away from me" 

That's one of the reasons I like my masks. People stay away from me when I wear them ;) 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 7:28 AM, Harriet said:

Sorry to break it to you, but you are going to get old regardless.

15 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

I look forward to having extremely long, thick silver hair. But if I can keep my skin a little more elastic with sunscreen, I would do that.

Let me know if you find the fountain of youth 🙂

It is true that skin gets drier as you get older. When I was in my early 40s I complained about a rash on my face to my doctor. She explained that I no longer had the oily skin of my youth, and should use moisturizer.

I use plain soap with as few additives as possible for washing my face, and find it makes my skin feel dry. Moisturizer makes my skin feel much better. I use it morning and night, right after I wash my face. I don't know that it makes me look any younger. I still have wrinkles. The shape of my face around my mouth is changing due to aging. Perfect skin would not camouflage those changes.

My mother-in-law told me that if you want to get away with looking younger than you are, you can't groan when you get up. ;)

Really, how you move and dress make more difference in your perceived age than your skin.

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Thank you. (Why do I think I am the only lazy person ever, and everyone else is ill or disabled or reacting understandably and logically to inhumane work and  unnatural social conditions and addictive technology? Pure hubris, now I think on it, to believe I am uniquely bad).

^^^^^^^ This

You have been through this before and it got better. This time you are taking better notes, so it probably feels like it is taking longer to go away. If you go back and read your old posts, you could get actual data on how long your previous slug phases lasted.

• Like 1

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

On 8/4/2021 at 11:53 PM, Harriet said:

What sort of things do Texans say?

"Let's get some barbecue", "Time for breakfast tacos", "I'm Matthew McConnaghey", and "Grandparents are proud to die for the economy, so we're not  closing anything for covid." (Some of those are more universal than others.)

On 8/5/2021 at 10:29 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Outside of Japan, yes, most of the time. Genuine wasabi paste comes from the wasabi plant, which is in the horseradish family, but entirely its own thing. And it is very picky about growing conditions, which makes it difficult to grow genuine wasabi on a commercial scale without making it hideously expensive, so the majority of companies don't. Instead, they create a mix of various plants, including horseradish, until it tastes the way wasabi is supposed to taste (supposedly) and then they add green food coloring.

This. Actual wasabi is rare. Possibly even in Japan these days.

I wouldn't buy horseradish on Amazon, it'd probably be dried. Somewhere like a farmers market might have it, but asking around gardener's groups might find you some. It's a very aggressive perennial, so someone who has any is likely to have too much.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

Sorry to break it to you, but you are going to get old regardless.

Well, technically there's one option that guarantees you won't get any older than you are right now, but I have strong philosophical objections to the notion that it's better to be dead than to look old. ;)

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

Really, how you move and dress make more difference in your perceived age than your skin.

Assuming your skin has not been very poorly treated, yes, it does. (And any skincare product that claims it can reverse the aging process is lying. ) The way I see it, as long as we are comfortable with what we see in the mirror every day, that's what matters. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

My mother-in-law told me that if you want to get away with looking younger than you are, you can't groan when you get up. ;)

This! And my wrinkles aren't wrinkles, they are laugh and smile lines. 

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I also wonder if a lot of claims about premature aging aren't greatly exaggerated anyway (as long as you don't burn) in order to sell stuff. My mum used a bunch of fancy skin care, and she made me use them too as well as getting facials. Now I feel like all of those things were needlessly aggressive, and the worst part was that if you used one product you kinda had to use another product to compensate. These days sleep and hydration is like 90% of skin care for me. 🤷‍♀️

I am wondering the same thing--how much is necessary and how much is aggressive marketing?

Obviously I've no clue about what's going on with her, but personally I do feel masks very alienating. It both signals "stay away from me" and makes it much harder to read facial expressions. So there is that. Or she's a conspiracy theorist. 

Yes, I don't like looking at masks. But I don't praise people when they take them off, either..

Progress no? Even if it didn't last it's awesome you got some writing in.

Yes! It is progress.

8 hours ago, Mistr said:

I use plain soap with as few additives as possible for washing my face, and find it makes my skin feel dry. Moisturizer makes my skin feel much better. I use it morning and night, right after I wash my face. I don't know that it makes me look any younger. I still have wrinkles. The shape of my face around my mouth is changing due to aging. Perfect skin would not camouflage those changes.

No indeed, I will be happy to grow old, considering the alternative. I suppose I want to avoid unnecessary damage, that's all. I want to take care of my skin the way I'm trying to take care of the rest of me, but I'm not sure if minimalism or fancy products are the best approach. If soap takes away moisture, and moisturiser puts it back.... couldn't I skip both? I ask because men, who seem to use fewer products, often seem to have better skin. But I know their skin is naturally thicker and oilier. But then they don't usually have acne past their teens, whereas a lot of women seem to.

8 hours ago, Mistr said:

You have been through this before and it got better. This time you are taking better notes, so it probably feels like it is taking longer to go away. If you go back and read your old posts, you could get actual data on how long your previous slug phases lasted.

That's a good point. If I would make the effort of reading previous challenges, I might find some clues.

7 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

"Let's get some barbecue", "Time for breakfast tacos", "I'm Matthew McConnaghey", and "Grandparents are proud to die for the economy, so we're not  closing anything for covid." (Some of those are more universal than others.)

Thank you, I shall carefully transcribe these into my phrase book and use all of them when I visit Texas.

7 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I wouldn't buy horseradish on Amazon, it'd probably be dried. Somewhere like a farmers market might have it, but asking around gardener's groups might find you some. It's a very aggressive perennial, so someone who has any is likely to have too much.

They actually sent me a whole fresh root! But I will certainly check out the farmer's market when I have more energy.

6 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Well, technically there's one option that guarantees you won't get any older than you are right now, but I have strong philosophical objections to the notion that it's better to be dead than to look old. ;)

Yes. Something I think about with regards to my mother, who died at 58 and will be forever... well, middle aged. I would have preferred her to stick around longer, though. But the alternative to getting older is of course not getting any older, which makes getting older seem quite reasonable and desirable.

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Hey Harriet, hope you are resting well ❤️ xx

Thanks, Sal! I am resting. Not much effect yet but I just have to give it time.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Thank you, I shall carefully transcribe these into my phrase book and use all of them when I visit Texas.

I particularly recommend "Hi, I'm Matthew McConnaughey. Let's get some barbecue."

19 minutes ago, Harriet said:

They actually sent me a whole fresh root! But I will certainly check out the farmer's market when I have more energy.

That is awesome! Beware, you are now embarking on chemical warfare. :D

Mask Thumbs Up GIF

• Haha 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Okay, so I fried some liver in butter yesterday and ate it just to see if I could manage it plain. I cooked the rest today and blended into a pate. It's unexpected. It tastes sweet, not pungent and meaty like the leberwurst I'm used to. What's going on? Is it because I soaked it in milk? It's not bad or anything, just unexpected. Almost like a really weak milky chocolate. With blood. If anything, the texture is more off-putting than the taste, but probably just because it's unfamiliar and I'm squeamish about unfamiliar animal products. Anyway, the pate is cooling in the fridge now with a layer of butter on top. I guess I'll have it on some proper German sourdough toast, maybe with a lingonberry jam. Jam technically counts as poison under my protocol, but it's worth it if it helps me eat fresh liver occasionally.

6 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I particularly recommend "Hi, I'm Matthew McConnaughey. Let's get some barbecue."

Actually, many BBQ places have branched out into the breakfast market, and you can now get BBQ IN BREAKFAST TACOS!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath