Hey everyone! Getting on late at night because somehow it worked out to being the best time to do the thing.

Big changes happened in the past week. I had originally meant to reward myself with rash guards for BJJ, but midway through, I 1) had the chance to change to earlier hours, and 2) saw a cool gi design go up that I wanted more. I still feel quite rewarded for my efforts last challenge; it's just that I had a last-minute chance to take a deal that turned out to be closer to what I wanted.

This has the neat side effect of allowing me to use rash guards as a reward again. How fortuitous. :D

Um, also, accidentally got the chance to show some character growth. Saturday I went to a party with my friend group. One of us got a little too drunk for my liking and I slipped and got a little too harsh calling him on it. We didn't come to shouting at each other or blows or anything, but I really hurt him in a way I didn't think I could. I had the chance to talk it over with him this morning, though, and we were able to patch things up. I say it was a growth thing because the last time I wound up in a situation like this was with my Ex and I botched it. I didn't botch this time.

I grant you, it's not trying to salvage a romantic relationship, but I think it's got enough in common to count.

Hence the title of the challenge. Everything's crazy and up in the air and I'm going back to the office in about a month and some change and just... yeah. It's a lot right now. So we're rolling with it.

Goal 1: Meditate

I'm up to 8 minutes now, which is great, but I'm not sitting consistently, and that's not great. Need to fix that.

Goal 2: Clean

Car troubles are managed enough that I can get after getting boxes o' stuff out of my place. But I need to clean the car first. This is going to go alongside my old cleaning goal from before, because now that my sinks are reliably clean, I want to start expanding out onto regularly cleaning other surfaces too. So, the way this will work is that it'll have a daily component build up over the course of the week. However, in order for a given week's total to count, I have to defeat a mini-boss, defined as one seat-section of the car (first couple weeks) and then a box a week for the rest of the challenge.

Goal 3: Eating

So, I've basically crept over into obesity per my body fat percentage as run via the Navy formula. I know for a fact that my macros are fine and even my daily expenditures are fine, but I'm letting social eating be an excuse to indulge and it's getting in the way of the results I want. While I'll be tracking this as a daily, the real goal is to focus on "leaving things behind" - in other words, if I go out to eat, I come back home and drink a protein shake for my vitamins instead of picking up 'healthy' indulgences at the grocery store.

With that in mind, as I'm posting early Monday morning:

Goal 1: 0/1

Goal 2: 1/1

Bosses: 0/5

Goal 3: 0/1

Aw, look, it's not as bad as it was last time. :D I can only imagine how well it'll go!

• Like 9
On 8/2/2021 at 7:55 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Here to watch you dangle the rash guards in front of yourself like a carrot on a stick.

You clearly haven't hung out here long enough, Padre. The carrot is the stick! :D

Okay, it's technically Wednesday, so I can catch up to Tuesday:

Goal 1: 1/3

Goal 2: 3/3

Goal 3: 2/3

Sunday wound up with me helping the Traveling Nurse to remodel her travel trailer, she and I and the friend I called out. It was good times. Went home and did some GMB stuff afterward. Realized again just how little space I have and that's where my cleaning goal came from~.

Monday, the plan was to get out on the mats and test out the new schedule, but I got invited to go see F9 instead. It was dumb fun. I enjoyed it. I hear it's best to approach the Fast and Furious movies like they're an ongoing shonen anime series with power creep and everything, and this makes perfect sense to me. I think I laugh-cheered more times than I cared to count. It's enjoyable, and you don't really need to know what's going on to get anything out of it.

Got popcorn there and was really tempted to go off track further on my own, but didn't. Was struck by how much of a challenge that was.

Tuesday, managed to get everything to click somewhat. Didn't manage my meditation goal until late in the day, but did get it done. Cleaning and eating were also done. As for training, I managed to get a couple hours on the mat as opposed to just the one, and it was a lot of fun. The academy I go to has a "BJJ 101" class for white belts to let us practice and drill basics and such, which is invaluable since the school's kind of top-heavy in terms of belts and it's harder to find white belts to roll and practice with.

That being said, rolls were pretty rough. Definitely had one blue belt who was using strength more than technique to get me, and went with another one who rolled me off of him but twisted up my right leg pretty bad. Fortunately, I'm not limping and the only pain is in my great toe, so that could be worse.

With all that said, it'd really be good for me if I got down on time tonight, so that's what I'mma do. Night!

• Like 5

Goal 1: 3/5

Goal 2: 5/5

Goal 3: 4/5

Damn, hit 80% already. Nice. Of course, it won't last if I don't get the cleaning done in the next couple days, weather permitting.

Woke up Wednesday morning and my knee was stiff and painful. I guess the Tuesday shenanigans caught up with me. But I could walk on it and my mobility routines served me well. I was able to get out on the mats again Wednesday night. Couldn't do the shifty stuff that you do in Shotokan, so I had to rely a lot on other things like head movement and watching the opponent's body for movements. Being forced to work on other stuff was actually really productive. We also had a new student on the mats, and he kind of reminds me of my old teacher's wife. He makes a lot of interesting mistakes, and a lot of the same mistakes she made in terms of weird timing. Also, dude has no damn control. He swings for the fences as a 20-30 something, which is different from taking it from a kid. It was remarkably good incentive for good movement and defense; also, it's deeply annoying, and he'll have to be really carefully managed or else he's gonna hurt someone.

Which I say as if it's something I control. I don't, I know that. I could volunteer to work with him all night and take those shots, but at the end of the day, it's coach's discretion, and it's not my call to make.

Thursday was good. I got some of my time management back and managed meditation earlier in the day, which is a major win. I don't know what it'll look like when I go back to the office, but win now, worry later. I was going to skip rope some today but my foot was hurting enough that I decided to back off. Still went and hit the mats, though; got the chance to play with a couple white belts and outplayed them today; also managed a throw on a blue belt which was seen by a teaching purple belt. That was gratifying as hell.

Came back home, did some shadowboxing, and a little ab work as well.

Friday's striking class has been cancelled since none of the teachers are available that day to coach. And that's fine. I could use a breather anyway. Also, I might be seeing one of my friends about getting some sewing done to fix up some rips and tears on a couple pair of gi pants, which would be great if so. It'll also give me a chance to run some errands; my neck training's been going very well and I want to see about a training solution for upping the difficulty. Also, some supplements I could stand to pick up.

If the weather lets me, it might not even be a bad idea to clear out that one seat in the back of my car, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so, I dunno.

• Like 2

Here to watch you get punched (I think I'm understanding the theme right...)

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

10 hours ago, Kishi said:

Which I say as if it's something I control. I don't, I know that. I could volunteer to work with him all night and take those shots, but at the end of the day, it's coach's discretion, and it's not my call to make.

Agreed. Roll with the punches!

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

I love the character growth!! Good for you!! You go glenn coco!!

Did I meme that correctly?

On 8/6/2021 at 1:40 AM, Kishi said:

We also had a new student on the mats, and he kind of reminds me of my old teacher's wife. He makes a lot of interesting mistakes, and a lot of the same mistakes she made in terms of weird timing. Also, dude has no damn control. He swings for the fences as a 20-30 something, which is different from taking it from a kid. It was remarkably good incentive for good movement and defense; also, it's deeply annoying, and he'll have to be really carefully managed or else he's gonna hurt someone.

ohhhh no.  This was bad last time if I remember right.  

Good luck with that one!  Let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

On 8/6/2021 at 7:09 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Here to watch you get punched (I think I'm understanding the theme right...)

On 8/6/2021 at 12:32 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Agreed. Roll with the punches!

I think you'll both get what you're looking for here. :D

21 hours ago, Treva said:

I love the character growth!! Good for you!! You go glenn coco!!

Did I meme that correctly?

I think so! A man needs some candy canes, though. :D

21 hours ago, Treva said:

ohhhh no.  This was bad last time if I remember right.  

Yeah, it was. It's not great now. But at the same time it's a lot simpler, and it's dealing with someone who actively wants to be there. I think this can correct in time, but I do think he was probably thrown into sparring a little too early, and it's stressful to manage.

Sore throat started on Friday. Sick protocols are in effect. So far I'm on day 3, although I think it's starting to remit, which is good. Still hurts, but less, and without that sharp/scratchy feeling.

It's a change of pace, and I'd enjoy it except for the fact that it's holding me up from being out on the mats. I have lots of people there that I like, and I don't like missing out on chances to be with them and engaging in my interests. Also, I'm wanting to get better so I can go back to striking, because we have a substitute teacher in there and I worry that he'll feel bad if people don't show up.

Also, some friends of mine were going out to see The Green Knight tonight and I can't join them. Boooooooo.

In any event, I haven't really been tracking my goals to closely the last couple days. But I haven't deviated as much as I might have, either.

Goal 1: 3/7

Goal 2: 7/7

Bosses: 1/5

Goal 3: 6/7

The meditation goal is the only one that's really lagging, and I think that's part of a larger problem I've had with time management and adjusting to the new schedule and everything. I take being sick as a sign that I need to get better at getting down and getting enough rest, and also that I need to keep working on stress mitigation and such.

Also, I'm probably going to tweak my training a little bit to see if I can do more movement and such. I feel like I'm losing some of my skill in overall movement and I want to retain that if I can. So probably it'll be Q&D on regularly scheduled time with GMB plus a thing on the other days. "A thing" being either TGUs or skipping rope, and skipping rope only being once per week because I'm having to relearn a bit. I did like having rest days built in at random, though, so I reckon I'll still roll dice, but instead I'll just be rolling for how many days I work versus how many days I rest. I still think I'll use a d20 for that, just because it's a lot more flexible for generating numbers as opposed to a d4.

All that in time, though. For now, rest.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Sore throat started on Friday. Sick protocols are in effect. So far I'm on day 3, although I think it's starting to remit, which is good. Still hurts, but less, and without that sharp/scratchy feeling.

Ouch. I hope you feel better soon!

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

On 8/8/2021 at 4:48 PM, Kishi said:

The meditation goal is the only one that's really lagging, and I think that's part of a larger problem I've had with time management and adjusting to the new schedule and everything. I take being sick as a sign that I need to get better at getting down and getting enough rest, and also that I need to keep working on stress mitigation and such.

Also, I'm probably going to tweak my training a little bit to see if I can do more movement and such. I feel like I'm losing some of my skill in overall movement and I want to retain that if I can. So probably it'll be Q&D on regularly scheduled time with GMB plus a thing on the other days. "A thing" being either TGUs or skipping rope, and skipping rope only being once per week because I'm having to relearn a bit. I did like having rest days built in at random, though, so I reckon I'll still roll dice, but instead I'll just be rolling for how many days I work versus how many days I rest. I still think I'll use a d20 for that, just because it's a lot more flexible for generating numbers as opposed to a d4.

Learning behavior and rolling with what comes at you. All good. :D

• Like 1

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

On 8/8/2021 at 6:03 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Ouch. I hope you feel better soon!

21 hours ago, Shotokan said:

Are you feeling better yet?

Thanks! I'm on the mend. I'm at a point now where my throat hurts in the morning because it's dry, but not really anything to write home about once I've got some water in me. Picked up a dry cough somewhere, but it's unproductive.

I was initially concerned for strep, but when I went to the doctor they were more worried about COVID, so I got tested, but that all came back negative, so. I reckon this is just another one of those cases where I worked myself too hard for too long and didn't respect the price I had to pay.

11 hours ago, Mistr said:

Learning behavior and rolling with what comes at you. All good. :D

Yup! Business as usual here. :D

Goal 1: 5/10

Goal 2: 10/10

Bosses: 1/5

Goal 3: 9/10

Woot! Somehow managed to get back to 80. Now I just gotta stay there. Or go beyond. If I can.

Monday without mat time wasn't anything special. Tuesday was Sci Fi night (don't be confused, it's moved around some). Ended up watching Willow, which I'd never seen before, and, yo. What is this movie. What is this mess of a movie. But as confused as I was most of the time, it was still really watchable, and I find myself oddly drawn to it.

Yesterday marked day 5 of my symptoms, but they took a big turn for the better yesterday. According to the Sick Protocols, as many days as I took getting sick is as many days as I take to get back to normal, so probably another 5 days of rest/gentle ramping back up to normal. Makes me a little restive, but the alternative is jumping back in too soon and prolonging things, and I'm not interested in that.  Originally, my plan for the week was to work OT - if I'm resting, might as well get paid - but I dropped by the Traveling Nurse's place yesterday to get some gi bottoms mended. She's been working on her travel trailer, and she's back on assignment next Sunday, so she's rushing to get it done, and she's going to need help getting situated at the campground on Saturday. I decided it was better to help her than it was to do my job, especially since all the people she managed to find to help with her trailer on Saturday are physically broken (like, no joke, went through the roster and every one of 'em's banged up or severely deconditioned. It's pathetic). The whole thing just kind of pricked my conscience, and I couldn't let it go.

Besides, hopefully the movement and mostly gentle activity will help give my immunity a boost and get me over this thing.

As to today, everything's trucking along, but it's not over yet, so I can't take credit for it. I anticipate no troubles.

• Like 4

Glad to hear the test was negative. Getting sick isn't fun, but at least you know better and give yourself some rest. I got sick last week and feel much better after resting, drinking tea and sleeping it off. Somehow society makes us feel guilty, when we can't give 150% all the time.

• Thanks 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

On 8/11/2021 at 11:42 PM, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Glad to hear the test was negative. Getting sick isn't fun, but at least you know better and give yourself some rest. I got sick last week and feel much better after resting, drinking tea and sleeping it off. Somehow society makes us feel guilty, when we can't give 150% all the time.

Yeah, yeah it does. As long as the right numbers go up, society doesn't really care about the human cost.

Also, hi there! Been a while! Hope you been all right. :)

On 8/12/2021 at 5:48 PM, Mistr said:

I agree, helping your friend was the better choice. Work will always be there and Management won't really appreciate you putting in overtime. Certainly not as much as your friend will appreciate your help.

Right. That was my take on it. The extra money's useful, but it's terrible for quality of life.

Boy howdy it's been a while. I have not been a good GL lately. Sorry y'all.

Fortunately, I have no dramatic reasons for it. :) Life demanded some extra living from me for a while and I had to go see to it. Basically, I was sick, and I took a while to recover. I worked a lot of OT, and when I wasn't doing that, I was helping my Traveling Med Tech (that's actually what she is, I should have been more specific) with getting her living arrangements in order, ie helping with painting and moving the travel trailer. She got moved on Saturday, but came back for fun times with folks, and it was indeed fun times. I felt like I was mindful of my friends and like they were mindful of me. Capped off with a truly brilliant brunch on Sunday when we found a hole in the wall place in Raleigh that turned out to be just awesome. Lots of good talk and good food. By the time Sunday rolled around, I was feeling well enough to try mixing GMB Vitamin with TGUs and honestly? It felt really good. Scratched a bunch of itches and cycled virtuously. It really doesn't get better than that.

Monday I ran a full course of things - kettlebell work, chest work, neck work, ab work. Reads like a lot, but it isn't, not really. Got on the mats later, felt great. Got my ass kicked. It was glorious. :D

The hope after was to go home and sleep early, because the Sick Protocol calls for a 24-hour rest to monitor symptoms. What happened was that the Sci Fi buddy tapped out for cooking due to some drama, so it was up to me and a friend, and we decided on Instant Pot Buttered Chicken with rice. Because of our schedules, we determined it'd be better to get it done the night before, and this would have worked better if I hadn't been a silly and bought frozen chicken to thaw out. So I stayed out late helping with cooking and hanging out and I didn't really get a full night's sleep, which was kind of a stressor.

The good news is that today, my symptoms are not worse. The better news is, the Buttered Chicken turned out awesome despite my best efforts. :D And, yeah.

Um, other nerdy thing, uh. I binged Masters of the Universe on a friend's recommendation, and, yo. This is good. Lines are a little stilted, but they're acted well by a good cast, and the storyline is genuinely mature without needing lots of ultraviolence to give it stakes. Ends on a cliffhanger, but I'm hopeful for more.

Anyway, gotta get down. Recovery is so freaking vital, man. I keep forgetting that at my peril.

Goal 1: 8/16

Goal 2: 15/16

Bosses: 2/5

Goal 3: 13/16

As far as goals go, that meditation one is really tough for me this go round. I'm focusing on the job too much, I think, and it's to my detriment in a lot of ways. I owe myself better than that.

Still, I haven't fallen that far below 80%, and this is the part where the challenge is really made. Progress will be slow, but regress will be slow too, and it's all gonna even out. We got this.

• Like 4

Goal 1: 8/17

Goal 2: 16/17

Goal 3: 14/17

Whoops, miscalculated my days. And of course I'm logging day 17 after midnight for day 18 meaning I'm logging from day 19 with an extra day to account for.

Makes perfect sense. Yes.

Day 18 I accomplished everything except meditation, which I'll do before bed (maybe after showering?) It'll happen either way.

Anyway, today's been pretty unremarkable. I decided to pull some OT today to get work done since the striking class starts so late. I didn't regret it; got a lot of work done, I feel like.

Striking class tonight was notable in that we actually had some bodies out there for once, and people who were experienced enough to have some class in how they operated. I did not mind the spars this evening. Only problem was that I wasn't feeling quite as sharp, since during the recovery I didn't really do any shadowboxing or other drills. So, felt kind of weaksauce. But nights like that happen, and it's useful to use this to get motivated to get back to drilling, so that's what I'll do.

• Like 2

Oooookay, we're going to log yesterday today before I confuse myself further:

Goal 1: 9/18

Goal 2: 17/18

Goal 3: 15/18

Yeah. That feels better. Cleaner at least.

I logged the most pertinent parts of yesterday this morning (yikes, gotta work on that), but I didn't mention some things. For one, I hit a point in my story where I was able to wring out some more conflict, and I think that's going to be fun. Or alternately, I made it make more sense? I dunno. Truthfully, I'm aiming at a lean draft this time because it's easier to pad out a lean draft than it is to cut down a bigger one since by that point, everything's supporting everything else and the whole thing can collapse without warning and make for lots of work.

Um, in other news, I'm going to have to change up some of my mobility work. I was doing swinging kick drills for a while, but they seem to have aggravated my gluteus medias, and I know it's that because it feels like low back pain but it starts in my butt. Fortunately, good ol' KStar has the fix, and I've had good response. Still need to figure out how to keep kicking high; might just have to do some focused flexibility when that comes. Of course, everything's up in the air right now, so, it's par for the course and also not something I'm too terribly worried about. First thing's first: stop hurting.

At least the rest of my training doesn't aggravate it, which is a very good sign.

Also, I'm going to start reorganizing my day a little bit in anticipation of the return to the office. Morning pages when I wake up, tea and exercise, prose work during my lunch break. Breathing and meditation as a break at work (which, believe it or not, is encouraged right now given all the everything that's going on).

Otherwise, yeah. Life's throwing a lot of shots. More than I expected. But I felt it coming, so I'm rolling with it. :)

• Like 4

Goal 1: 11/21

Goal 2: 20/21

Bosses: 3/5

Goal 3: 18/21

So, rejiggering the schedule a bit turned out to be the right move. My writing's been off a bit, and so has the meditation, but that's mostly because I haven't been getting to bed early enough, so I'm jamming the exercise in first and it's delaying everything. That's a me problem. If I was getting down earlier, it wouldn't be an issue. And as to why I'm not getting down earlier, it's just lack of discipline. I'm allowing myself too much time to unwind, and it's cutting into my sleep. This is not productive. Sleep is the ultimate unwinding.

OTOH, though, I've got better about cooking dinner earlier in the evening. For me, the key is staying off the computer. That's part of why I haven't been around. -_-

Anyway, really gotta get back on my meditative grind. That too will help. I think part of the reason I fell off was that I picked up a bad meditation app - Omvana - which purported to use binaural beats to help with meditation. It did me no good, but it took a while to figure that out for me. Learn from my mistake. Don't use Omvana.

Ah, let's see. I wound up out on the mats on Thursday. Got caught skipping some time, so had to make that up on Friday, and since that caused me to miss class, I decided to pull OT. Saturday was just judo, since the guy who opens up the space for open mats was out of town and couldn't make it. I GMB'd and skipped rope on Saturday as well, and was pleased to find that I had enough space to practice cartwheels. Good sign. Need more space, though; managed to get rid of a box and that was fine as could be.

I rolled dice for this week and wound up with 3 rest days and one GMB/play day, which I didn't think was ever going to happen. But I don't mind. The rest feels good. I'm spending today just working on chores and chilling out. Feels good. Also, my glutes are hurting less. Seems like that kick drill I was doing was the source of the problem. Very good. Still think I'm going to need to work on flexibility at some point, though. But not quite yet.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Kishi said:

I think part of the reason I fell off was that I picked up a bad meditation app - Omvana - which purported to use binaural beats to help with meditation. It did me no good, but it took a while to figure that out for me. Learn from my mistake. Don't use Omvana.

I'm going to use this as an excuse to mention that Insight Timer is a phenomenal meditation app ;) 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Jumping in here...  I didn't realize that you were doin some BJJ!  Wahoo!  The plight of a white belt is a struggle.  As an older, female, recovering from surgery and in possession of one of the highest belts in our gym right now (two stripe purple belt), I am EXTRA careful working with white belts.  I will help new folks who are more timid, need encouragement and are open to suggestions.  I avoid the spazzy, fighting egos driven white belts who see me as someone to beat for their egos.  We had a young man in our gym a couple of weeks ago who rolled with a highly skilled but tiny young lady.  After he smashed her and muscled through a couple of rolls with her, professor called him out and taught him a lesson on the mats.  (honestly it was fun to watch) It took him a week before he came back but he came back with a better attitude.  I might seem standoffish or arrogant but it isn't worth it to get hurt again just as I am getting back on the mats!  We are a gym that has a lot of older folks on the mats, so kindness to everyone and respect for physical limitations are vital!  Many of us have to roll carefully!!!  I am actually looking forward to working with one of the older guys this week on finding our flow rolls so we can roll without further damaging ourselves.  One skill I remind newer folks it to remember to breathe while rolling or even drilling!   

Thank you for the reminder to do more mobility work. 

• Like 2

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: FULL CUP

10 hours ago, Terra said:

Jumping in here...  I didn't realize that you were doin some BJJ!  Wahoo!  The plight of a white belt is a struggle.  As an older, female, recovering from surgery and in possession of one of the highest belts in our gym right now (two stripe purple belt), I am EXTRA careful working with white belts.  I will help new folks who are more timid, need encouragement and are open to suggestions.  I avoid the spazzy, fighting egos driven white belts who see me as someone to beat for their egos.  We had a young man in our gym a couple of weeks ago who rolled with a highly skilled but tiny young lady.  After he smashed her and muscled through a couple of rolls with her, professor called him out and taught him a lesson on the mats.  (honestly it was fun to watch) It took him a week before he came back but he came back with a better attitude.  I might seem standoffish or arrogant but it isn't worth it to get hurt again just as I am getting back on the mats!  We are a gym that has a lot of older folks on the mats, so kindness to everyone and respect for physical limitations are vital!  Many of us have to roll carefully!!!  I am actually looking forward to working with one of the older guys this week on finding our flow rolls so we can roll without further damaging ourselves.  One skill I remind newer folks it to remember to breathe while rolling or even drilling!   

Oh yeah! I been on the journey a while now. Presently a 2-stripe white. I wound up with an unwelcome gap year because of the pandemic, but I've been coming back really strong, and I'm hopeful for the future, especially since I've took up judo again. It lets me surprise people who want to stand up. :)

FWIW, as a white belt, I can get what a problem that can be. We've got some tiny high-ranking women at my school too, and I do try to be very gentle about it. Not because I think I can't win (I've done that before) but because I don't think it suits either of us for me to try to blunder my way in and hurt people. What's the use of winning a match if I lose a training partner? That kind of short term thinking is bad for a long term project like this. Also, it's really mean to try to do that all the time, and I don't like being mean. I'm happier losing as a nice guy.

But yeah, totally get it. It's fight training. You gotta protect yourself, and picking your matches is part of that. Makes sense to me.

Ugh, God Almighty, I gotta respect my time better. I'm doing better at being responsible to my job, but I'm not making the time for myself that I promised myself I would. I don't like that. And it's not even like I'm getting more work done or doing better than I was before, so I dunno why I'm bothering.

Also, Delta pushed back my return to the office. I was originally slated to go back on 9/13, but then it got pushed back a couple weeks, and now it's been pushed back again to October. Which doesn't bother me but it makes me feel like I'm leaving a lot of quality time on the table that I don't need to be for things that don't matter.

C'mon, Kishi. You owe yourself better than that.

Goal 1: 12/22

Goal 2: 21/22

Bosses: 3/5

Goal 3: 19/22

• Like 3

I don't know if you have heard this...  We like to say every 20 pounds is like another belt and every 10 years is also like a belt.  So when I roll with a 27 year old white belt we are pretty equal on the mats.  The belt color is not an indicator of who will win, it is a indicator of skill level.  Weight and strength can still overpower a smaller opponent.  Although the skills give us smaller people a better chance!!!   Changes are afoot at our gym.  It looks like we are going to pick up an affiliation. It will be interesting to see how that changes things!    Happy rolling this week!  

It's hard to balance all the stuff we have going on in life.  Keep at it!    

• Like 2

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: FULL CUP

11 hours ago, Kishi said:

Also, Delta pushed back my return to the office. I was originally slated to go back on 9/13, but then it got pushed back a couple weeks, and now it's been pushed back again to October. Which doesn't bother me but it makes me feel like I'm leaving a lot of quality time on the table that I don't need to be for things that don't matter.

Yeah, I struggle with quality time a lot, especially when I am stressed and sleep deprived. I want to do something fun but I don't have enough brain power to make good decisions, so I let myself get sucked into internet time sinks or read whatever is on the kitchen table. I find it helps to tell myself that I spend all day on the computer at work, so I want to do something different for fun.

You might try doing a sudden schedule shift. Find a day when you can work out a LOT without staying up late. Make a point to get your last meal in early too. Then you can go to bed early with your body needing rest. Aim for at least an hour earlier than your target time so you can get 9 hours of sleep. The next morning you can wake up rested and start your new routine. You should be tired at the new bedtime because you started the day early.

I have heard good things about the Insight meditation app, but I don't like apps to nag me. I use the Bodhi timer. It is just a timer with a choice of sound formats. I have not tried sound to help with meditation. I do burn incense when I can. The scent reminds me that I'm supposed to be meditating without triggering more dialog in my head. Keep working on your meditation, it gets easier with practice.

• Like 1

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

22 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I have heard good things about the Insight meditation app, but I don't like apps to nag me. I use the Bodhi timer. It is just a timer with a choice of sound formats. 

Insight timer has that as well. There is a catalog of background sound to choose from, as well as different settings for bell chimes if you want something to tell you when it has been 20 minutes. One of the reasons I like the app is that it has both the timer and the guided meditations, so I can alternate as I need to. :)  

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

On 8/24/2021 at 10:25 AM, Terra said:

I don't know if you have heard this...  We like to say every 20 pounds is like another belt and every 10 years is also like a belt. 

Definitely heard about the weight! Can confirm! Hadn't heard the bit about the years, though. Maybe when I get to 10 years I'll have some perspective on the matter.

On 8/24/2021 at 12:32 PM, Mistr said:

Yeah, I struggle with quality time a lot, especially when I am stressed and sleep deprived. I want to do something fun but I don't have enough brain power to make good decisions, so I let myself get sucked into internet time sinks or read whatever is on the kitchen table. I find it helps to tell myself that I spend all day on the computer at work, so I want to do something different for fun.

Well, 'quality of time' as in, I'm not taking breaks and when I stop work, I'm not doing something that I'd consider worthwhile with the stoppage. I mean going back to doing something every hour or so to break the day up. Which so far has amounted to mobility work focused on my hips, which has been really good. I'd like to start working shadowboxing and grappling drills back in again too, and I think I've got a way to do that responsibly. It won't last when I get back to the office but in other news, I have no realistic idea about when I'm going back, so there's no sense in losing time on a protocol that's accommodating a situation that doesn't exist. If that makes any sense.

On 8/24/2021 at 12:32 PM, Mistr said:

I have heard good things about the Insight meditation app, but I don't like apps to nag me. I use the Bodhi timer. It is just a timer with a choice of sound formats. I have not tried sound to help with meditation. I do burn incense when I can. The scent reminds me that I'm supposed to be meditating without triggering more dialog in my head. Keep working on your meditation, it gets easier with practice.

On 8/24/2021 at 12:57 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Insight timer has that as well. There is a catalog of background sound to choose from, as well as different settings for bell chimes if you want something to tell you when it has been 20 minutes. One of the reasons I like the app is that it has both the timer and the guided meditations, so I can alternate as I need to. :)  

Yeah. I think I veer toward Insight because it's got shiny things and polish. Although, really, I'd be just as well off turning on my box fan and setting the phone timer for 8 minutes or so.

Goal 1: 14/25

Goal 2: 24/25

Bosses: 4/5

Goal 3: 22/25

And what will I say of the past few days?

Tuesday was a sci-fi night. The friend who hosts is having a hard time with his immediate relations and needed to vent and have some company, so went and was the company. Ate a lot of good food. We're working our way through Futurama, and I have to admit, I'm really surprised at how many episodes I remember were early in first season.

Wednesday I was back on the mats. Kickboxing was fun and presented some interesting problems, as usual. The only real problem is that we just don't have enough bodies. The herky jerk guy I mentioned earlier hasn't been around lately, and I don't know what's going on there, although the last time I saw him was before I got sick and had to take some time off, and I'm not sure that something didn't happen that might have got him kicked out. I could see him being paired with our hard-throwing kid and that being a problem, but if it was, nobody's said anything about it.

But... yeah. It's weird. We did have a thriving striking program pre-COVID. I don't know what's changed such that we don't have any interest any more. I have no insights into it, beyond some notions about time and where we're placed, and whatever changes are to be made aren't in my hands to make, but it still drives me nuts that we get all these people out on the mats for grappling and just zero carryover to striking. A variety of bodies and styles is almost a necessity, and I hate feeling like we're missing out.

The flip side is, I get a lot of grappling practice, and I like it, so. It's a wash to me.

Let's see. Um, did some minor household repairs when my showerhead fell off in the middle of a shower. Got a new showerhead. Works wonderfully, although I suspect that my landlord might have been choking the waterflow out of that pipe when I found some additional washers in place. I strongly suspect that's going to do things to my water bill. In other news, I don't care. Let him give me a reason to get out of here. It'll be my biggest level up yet. :) But regardless of the future, it felt good to solve a problem like that.

Meditation's been happening. Macros are on point. Sleep's been getting better. My Dramatic Housemate is now paying me to do her laundry, which is work I didn't want, but I'm charging a high price and she's willing to pay, so, meh. I don't mind.

Thursday's not done, so I'm not adding its numbers yet, but I'm really jonesing to meditate since that's my weakest point and I just scrabbled back to 80%. It's on a knife's edge, folks. Friday I may or may not be out on the mats. A nearby town's having a Night Market and the Traveling Med Tech and I have gone to these in the past and really enjoyed them, so I'm under the impression I'm doing that. If not, I'll just go out and practice with whoever shows up.

• Like 4