Older newbie nerd introduction

Hi all! Just hit my 56th birthday, and after an abortive attempt at taking karate, I realize the downhill slide from couch-potato age and the lockdown has really taken its toll. Need to get moving in a productive fashion, need to start strengthening, getting more flexible, and doing all the nutrition things to lose a lot of weight. I am learning to cook so I can take control of what I eat. My bane is soda (cola), as after 45 years of the habit, it is messing with my health, so I want to kick that. I want to be able to enjoy my life now & into my old age, and I would love to come back to a martial art without throwing out my back or a hip--ugh. 

Are there any older folks here who can tell me about their coaching experience--coaches specializing perhaps in functional mobility, especially understanding & empathetic for we seniors? I don't have a lot of extra funds, but am considering going this route to be most efficient & keeping as physically safe as I can. Thanks for your help with this! 

I tend to hang with folks much younger than I, so I am truly glad to meet all of you, not just nerds closer to my age. 

Excelsior! 

Val in real life

Quentyn Poe is my character & NB name

• Like 3

I don't know about training for older people (I would assume any trainer worth their salt can work with people of different ages... being 56 is not a vanishingly rare trait), but welcome and I wish you much glorious victory on your journey!

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

I don't have a coach, so no help there.  Just wanted to say hi, I'm a 56 year old nerd. I started my fitness journey about 9 years ago. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hi there, Taoseeker1965!  

I'm not a coach either, but I want to echo Elastigirl's good wishes from another 50-something nerd! I am really hoping you find your way in the martial arts. I'm more of a yogi at this point, but am very intrigued by several of the martial arts. Personally, akido seems the best fit for my personality -- but I've heard some really great things about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for those who don't mind bruising, and kendo just looks so COOL! 

My 12 cents on coaching, if it's of use to you.  A good coach can really make a huge difference in your progress -- especially if you have concerns about particular areas of your body. I've worked with a few different coaches over the years, and a couple of them have been really great,  a couple have been so-so and one of them I just didn't mesh with at all.  If you're going to hire a coach, I've found it helpful to be really clear up front about your goals and your needs -- and not be shy about communicating right away about what's working / not working in the relationship.  And to move on if the coach isn't the right one for you. Honestly, I think that the reason I ended up  'ghosting" several  of my coaches was simply that it was easier for me to not communicate with them about things that were bothering me than it was to fix them -- and then I was too embarrassed to go back to the gym!  My issue rather than theirs ... but I'm the one who is paying the price! 😕

Anyhow, I'll be cheering you on!

Kay Lou

• Like 1

Hi KayLou, 

Thanks for your thoughts & suggestiions regarding coaching--I am in complete agreement that open communication is key. My main issue is always money; at this point I really feel I would benefit from coaching as I need to work hard on body recomposition and especially on nutrition/food issues. 

I know a little about Aikido, enough that I would suggest you try it. I have always been fascinated by martial arts. I have a brief background in the hard, external Chinese arts of Hsing-I and two different styles of Kung Fu, as well as the soft, internal arts of Tai Chi Chuan and Qigong. Okinawan Karate was something I fell in love with because of the 80s films, but I had foot issues that didn't let me train in bare feet. In the last few years, my feet had been recovering, so I tried Karate and was doing well at the beginning level which doesn't start with kicking or bouncing around on the feet, until my lower back & right hip were going out on a regular basis. I has a great sad, but it has convinced me to work Nerd Fitness, so that it might be possible to try again later. 

• Like 1

How Are You Doing Whats Up GIF by Yellowstone

Personally, I subscribe to the philosophy that training doesn't know or care how old you are.  The only questions are what can your body tolerate and what are you willing to do?  Obviously training beyond your body's current limits would be counter-productive, and so it's usually wise to start light and work upward.  I'd be skeptical of any coach that doesn't recognize this, and instead tries to apply a one-size-fits-all program, or worse, a program designed for "older people". 

Having said all that, the soda struggle is real.  The usual NF recommendation is to be honest about your current intake, and commit to one small step in reducing that.  Set a goal that is achievable, and once you've achieved that, you can set another one.

Good luck, and welcome!

• Like 1

Level 48 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

8 minutes ago, Rookie said:

I have been thinking about getting a coach as well lately but struggle with the money aspect.  I think it can definitely be worth it though since we only live once and if it can help give you a better quality of life . 

I think I will get one month's coaching after I return from vacation & save funds. I need someone to set me up with a workout & nutrition plan that will last me a while, until I can afford more coaching. 
I managed to communicate with one of the coaches, who not only confirmed the three days weekly contact that the salesperson stated, but that it's actually up to 5 days. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Taoseeker1965 said:

I think I will get one month's coaching after I return from vacation & save it up. I need someone to set me up with a workout & nutrition plan that will last me a while, until I can afford more coaching. 
I managed to communicate with one of the coaches, who not only confirmed the three days weekly contact that the salesperson stated, but that it's actually up to 5 days. 

Hopefully they can set you up well. I feel like once you get a plan its very much rinse and repeat so it shouldn't be too bad as long as you can stay accountable or get some external support (NF challenges are great for this!) 

• Like 1

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}