Writing Challenge 2021

I also posted about this in the Facebook group, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask here, too.  Are any other rebels interested in encouraging each other to write more often/consistently, possibly with an eye to working our way up to participating in National Novel Writing Month in November?  Depending on interest, this could be something as simple as checking in for accountability on your word count, up to trading chapters/articles and feedback.

• Like 3

Writing is more of a seasonal hobby for me, might scribble out a few ideas in the summer, but do most of my writing in the winter. So I'd be happy to bounce ideas around with people here but probably wouldn't be super active until November.

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

I tried Nano last year and didn't get very far, but I also wasn't really plugged into a group, which I think is the big draw. I have two fantasy stories in the works, determined that I am going to pick one of them to focus on this winter and get it finished. One of them is the more traditional high fantasy with magic users; the other one started out that way but I decided I liked it better without magic. Think I might be adding in some sea monsters and possibly a dragon though, so it definitely is still fantasy.

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

On 8/13/2021 at 10:45 AM, Artemis Prime said:

I tried Nano last year and didn't get very far, but I also wasn't really plugged into a group, which I think is the big draw. 

Yeah, I think that's a large part of why I've never really gotten into it in the past, myself.  Having the accountability and encouragement is important.

I've been trying to get myself writing again this week with 100 words per day, starting at a random scene where I knew at least one line a dialogue that needed to happen and expanding outwards from there.  So far, it seems to be working as a technique to get words to page.  Hopefully I can train my way up to doing Nano this year, even if I do a modified Nano... say, only half of the usual 50K.   Even that would be a lot of improvement and progress for me.

• Like 1

If we are doing a modified where 50k is not the goal, I'm in. Writing 50,000 words in a month takes over my entire life to a degree I simply don't want. But writing for the joy of writing, is something I will happily participate in :) 

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Sounds great! :) I'm currently editing part of a book, but hope to also do some writing as well.

• Like 1

Sunrunner | LVL 0  *(0%)

“It was difficult to think about worshiping God when so many things were going wrong. Or maybe, she thought, this is the most important time to pray.”
Trisha White Priebe, The Glass Castle

Books in Progress: Just as I am (20%), An Echo in the Darkness (14%)

Inktober52 | 2024 Books completed: Unbroken

Spoiler

Roadmaps: 2024,2023 | Previous Challenges: 20,19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

Is anyone still interested in doing a November writing challenge? 

On 10/24/2021 at 1:36 PM, Jupiter said:

Is anyone still interested in doing a November writing challenge? 

I am. 

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Sorry, I got busy doing 18 other things and only this week realized how close it was to November! Yes, I am still interested in doing this. I'm setting myself a personal goal of 10,000 words in November, which is technically small by Nanowrimo standards, but a lot for me.

What are everyone else's writing goals this month/winter?

• Like 1

Awesome, Defining! If you decide to sign up for Nano, PM me and I'll give you my handle over there so you can tag me as a buddy if you like. I'm not the biggest fan of how their site works (I don't like that you can no longer adjust the goal to anything other than the recommended 50K), but it works pretty well for tracking your word count and writing habits.

I got in 351 words yesterday, which puts me just a little bit ahead of schedule. Trying to keep that lead going!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Stormcrow said:

I got in 351 words yesterday, which puts me just a little bit ahead of schedule. Trying to keep that lead going!

Nice job on the wordcount! I'm not doing a writing challenge per se. My main goal is to revise a short story I just finished writing and then submit it in December. 

7 hours ago, Defining said:

just to write every day in November (which, uh... well, from today onwards?).

Sounds like a good plan. :D 

You Can Do It GIFs | Tenor

Okay, so right now, at least for this challenge, I'm trying to revise an hour a day. I wasn't sure I wasn't going to make it today (I'm really tired) but I got it done. It felt like pulling teeth the entire time though. I ended up rewriting a small section, I'm not sure of the wordcount, but it was maybe half a page. I don't hate it but I don't know if I like it either. 

• Like 1

Welp, we're about midway through November. How is everyone doing on their challenge? I'm almost done with the first round of revisions.