Where In the World is Sara Freakin' Kingdom?

I think I will actually eat three meals today. Astonishing. I'm about to start on the second.

I'm hitting the part of the night where I don't wanna do any more things, but I know that it is still time for doing things. I'm going to give myself a food and hydration break, I think.

• Like 4

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Hope the sips and noms helped! You can do the thing!

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I'm cooking chicken later, for dinner. I find it improves if I add bacon during the cooking process.

@Tanktimus the Encourager, that reaction from you made me chuckle... my chicken-bacon stir fry mix is an adaptation of a dinner you described in your challenge thread some time last summer. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33

28 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

@Tanktimus the Encourager, that reaction from you made me chuckle... my chicken-bacon stir fry mix is an adaptation of a dinner you described in your challenge thread some time last summer. :) 

I'm honored. Long live the Bacon Improvement-of-Other-Meats Empire.

• That's Metal 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Week 5 Day 3

Today I have decided to do only the fun horrible cleaning jobs, and not the horrible horrible cleaning jobs.

5pm 9pm    
  • Make food
  • Study & food

6pm 10pm    
  • Food
  • Hydrate
  • Break
  • TBD

7pm 11pm    
  • Tidy hall
  • Laundry
  • TBD

8pm      
  • Office swap and furniture moving
  • Hint: Mop something credit available

Monday Priorities Tuesday Priorities (60+m) Wednesday Priorities Thursday Priorities

1. Study #2
  2. Sink 0
  1. Study #1
  2. Study #2
  3. Tidy yogatorium & workspace & move sofa
  1. Study #1
  2. Study #2
  3. UFYH Kitchen: Clean dishwasher filter, start cupboard purge and reorg
  4. UFYH Bathroom: This is a good opportunity to mop something
  5. Big digital job
  6. Get herb irrigation system running
  7. Clean out the fridge and wash all the shelves and things (necessary for batch cooking)
  8. Prep and begin batch cooking
Secondary Secondary (30m) Secondary Secondary

1. Fold laundry & do next load of laundry
  2. Complete living room changes
  3. Small digital job
  4. Prep presents for mailing
  1. Hang laundry
Microjobs Microjobs (5-15m) Microjobs Microjobs

1. Water herbs
  2. Mop something
  1. Tidy hall
  2. Mop something
  3. Take out something
  4. Sink zero
  5. Take out the trash from fridge-cleaning
  6. Fill a moving container
  7. Get packages
  1. Mop something
  2. Take out something
  3. Sink zero
  4. Small digital job
Gloating Gloating Gloating Gloating

1. Voyager, with stretching
  1. Voyager, with stretching
  2. Crochet a thing
Done Done Done Done
  1. Meditate
  2. Hydrate
  3. Make a damn meal
  4. Break: Leverage
  5. Sink zero #1
  1. Prep Hydration
  2. Shower
  3. Hydrate
  4. Order groceries
  5. Make a meal
  6. Clean fridge drawer
  7. Freeze some stuff in the cheese drawer
  8. Plumbing
  1. Make food
  2. Prep food

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Week 5 Day 4

Today I'm going to steal next challenge's structure for a day.

Week 0
  Practice       Thursday      
Clean

Job List

1. UFYH (Bathroom): standard
  2. UFYH (Kitchen): focus on counter and dishes
    1. sink zero
  3. Clean: Sofa move
    1. mop floor

Microjobs              
Work Tasks      
  1. Journalling
  2. Study (DS)

Microtasks              
Self Care Jobs (8 max)      
  1. Movement
  2. Eat and Hydrate

Microjobs              
Rest Sleep Deficit       15h      
Rest Breaks      
  1. Meditation

Mandated Fun Fun Breaks              
Now Next       Done      
  1. Eat and hydrate
    1. vitamin D
  2. Voyager
  3. Voyager cont'd
  4. Laundry: run, fold
  5. Desk organizing
  6. Study (FI)

• Like 2

Voyager fans, it seems that not only is Janeway returning in Star Trek: Prodigy, but so is Chakotay. I am now very slightly less annoyed by the Curse of Sarah Jane Smith (shunting older women into children's shows rather than letting them have access to the new hotness, cuz everyone knows older women are inherently maternal).

• Like 1

There is no “care” react on NF, but if this were a Facebook post, I would care-react ❤️

• Like 1

WWJD? 03x04 The Swarm

Food became an issue, so I've decided that food and rum and Voyager is about my speed for an hour or two while I process this. (The rum won't really do anything, but it's symbolic.)

Janeway would:

• Demand explanations of why her people were attacked.
  • Not want to add time to the trip. Or, more accurately, not want to tell her crew that she has. (Whoa, I've got a solution here, guys... don't tell them.)
  • Break Starfleet rules. I can't totally figure out why, but I think she just seriously hates bullies. And likes pissing off bullies.
  • Treat the EMH like crew, not a computer.
  • Sneak out of the house at night a few times as a teenager.
  • Shoot at things.
  • Be a little bit sciencey.

In this episode:

Spoiler
  • Helmsmen get logs now. That's a thing.
  • "Klingon bodies weren't designed to sit in cockpits for five hours." I mean, no bodies were, really. Starship cockpits are not a huge evolutionary pressure.
  • (I would have given five whole dollars if that cramp had been menstrual rather than leg. Just to make Voyager live up to its premise of normalizing women in the public sphere. Tom Paris could've handled it, he's a solid futuristic boy.)
  • There's an awful lot of dating gossip in Star Trek. It's definitely preferable to tons of side boob and getting felt up by Captain Boiled Ham, I guess.
  • And suddenly two aliens appear in their shuttle and shoot them. Well, that was abrupt.
  • Back on Voyager, the EMH is singing opera in Tom's french dive bar holodeck program. Things are looking up for this episode already.
  • He's dealing with an impossible Italian soprano, so now he knows what it's like when people try to deal with him.
  • And... he forgets the words. Which is a bad sign, because he's a computer program.
  • In sickbay, he forgets where he puts a piece of equipment and that he didn't dismiss Torres. Yeah, this will end well.
  • Belanna responds to treatment, but Tom doesn't. Yeah, this will also end well.
  • Janeway's "who messed my people, guys" broadcast has got back an unintelligible response not even the universal translator can manage. Neelix is quietly freaking out about who he thinks sent it, and for once he's not very annoying. Possibly that's the rum talking, though, because he's Neelix. Still, he probably has his good days.
  • Going around the territory of the digital-static-voiced aliens will add fifteen months to their trip. I mean, kind of a small deal, out of 70 years and the possibility of horrible death, but I get the reluctance in the moment.
  • Tuvok, being very logical, points out that if she's not willing to go around their space, the only other option is through it. Through is not a good option, guys. Nothing about "through" appears to be a good option.
  • Harry is all, "I'm a green ensign, and there are totally ways around sensor nets!"
  • Chakotay is all, "I'm a maquis, and let me tell you, no one can patrol a border this size!"
  • Tuvok is all, "Slow the fuck down here, children. Let me remind you that Starfleet prohibits encroaching on alien territories. For good fucking reasons."
  • Janeway is like, "Suck it, rule boy."
  • Tuvok is quite literally all, "You have managed to surprise me." Cuz, like, normally Starfleet rules are her thing.
  • Janeway's all, "We're a long way from Starfleet, they can suck it, too. I'm not wasting fifteen months on bullies."
  • The EMH is all, "So... actually, Tom suffered much worse brain damage than I said. It is now time for major surgery and stuff." Yes, this will continue to end well.
  • The EMH sings some opera to remind us how reliable he currently is, and thus how excellent a surgeon he's about to be.
  • ...and he immediately forgets the first step of the procedure and has to ask Kes. But at least he quickly owns up to not remembering how to do the operation.
  • But they go ahead, and basically Kes does the whole thing.
  • But sure, guys, stroll right into the territory of the guys who scrambled Tom's brain.
  • Torres doesn't have a way to fix this without a factory reset, which is kind of a problem, because he's learned some important stuff over the years. I mean, Kes is focused on his relationships, but there's, like, knowledge there.
  • She is correct that if they don't know the cause of the problem, there's no guarantee a reset will fix it.
  • Janeway decides he's crew, not a computer, so rather than rebooting him, she extends him the right of medical diagnosis and treatment.
  • Harry and Chakotay think they have a way to slip past the sensor net. Tuvok looks... nonplussed. Possibly the opposite of gruntled. It's his "These fucking children..." look.
  • At least Chakotay has found a route across their territory that will take four days. That's pretty quick.
  • The EMH questions Belanna's bedside manner, and she is like, "Excuse me? Excuse me?"
  • She decides to get a second opinion in a holographic recreation of the holographic EMH creation lab.
  • Where there is a holographic recreation of Lewis Zimmerman, who the EMH is based on. Two EMHes. This will end hilariously.
  • Zimmerman is like, "Your EMH has been active for two years? What bit of temporary don't you understand? 1500 hours, tops."
  • And Belanna's all, "I know, I upgraded it."
  • And Zimmerman is all, "Amateurs like you should keep your amateur fingers off my engineering."
  • Robert Picardo is good here. Totally different mannerisms playing Zimmerman and the EMH.
  • Zimmerman is like, "This level of memory fragmentation can't be fixed, toots. Schedule maintenance at McKinley station."
  • Belanna's like, "Not on the cards, we're 70 years from there," and Zimmerman is like, "Well, then you reboot, or accept that he's going to become a mental parsnip."
  • Janeway calls her to engineering for their stupid territory incursion, so Belanna tells Zimmerman to be fucking useful for a change.
  • The EMH is worried to see her leave. Aww.
  • Tuvok spots a huge thing five light years away. It looks like... thousands of dead ships?
  • So they're trying to bolt through at maximum warp; in twelve hours, they should be a third of the way through.
  • There's some drag on the engines slowing them down.
  • Zimmerman is making the EMH stare at fractals to make him shut up.
  • So the issue appears to be his personality subroutine. In a de-technobabbled nutshell, all his RAM is being spent on running his relationships with people.
  • "He's not programmed to be a tenor, he's programmed to be a physician!"
  • Kes comes in to see how he's doing and defend his emotional growth, only the EMH can't remember who she is. Her space dad has forgotten her, noooo.
  • Janeway's pretty smug that they haven't been detected yet. Yeah, this will end well.
  • A damaged, non-functional ship approaches them, looking like it's been barraged for days. They rescue the one survivor.
  • The EMH is not quite a parsnip, but his mental capacity is now at, "He's a sick man. This is where sick people come."
  • The sick dude tells them that a swarm of thousands of ships came for them, and destroyed the ship, and started hitting them with neural weapons, and it was painful, and all they'd done was be in their space. This will end well.
  • Janeway can't stop to reinitialize the EMH, so tells Kes to keep his brain active by asking him questions and stuff.
  • One of the swarm was still on the freighter's hull and comes for them and sends them another message along the lines of "too late, should have listened". So Janeway's made a friend.
  • It scans them, modifies their shields, and flies off. Honestly, these guys are pretty smart and organized for paranoid xenophobes. That's all sorts of calm and rational.
  • The whole swarm of ships is now out for them.
  • The EMH has forgotten he's a hologram and can't leave. But he does remember Kes.
  • Until he forgets her again. And then starts visually glitching.
  • Voyager is at battle stations, but Tuvok can't find weapons on the swarm ships.
  • Kes goes back to the holographic Jupiter station EMH creation lab, and browbeats Zimmerman into helping. And realizes that Zimmerman has the same memory matrix as the EMH, and technobabbles a way of grafting the two togther to save him.
  • Zimmerman is swayed by her emotional attachment to the EMH, but is like, "You do realize that if you graft me into him, you'll no longer have a diagnostic program for your EMH." Because apparently data backups do not exist in the future. And she's like, "Yeah, but if we don't, we won't have an EMH to diagnose, will we?"
  • All the swarm ships suddenly take down Voyager's shields by each doing a little energy wave cancellation. This is a little clever.
  • Janeway decides on a warning shot, which their shield cancellation reflects back at Voyager. And without shields, a torpedo is inadvisable.
  • So Janeway has Harry do signal analysis, which is also clever.
  • Kes and Zimmerman take their one shot at fixing the EMH.
  • All the swarm ships clamp onto the hull and start to drain the ship's power, while Harry discovers they're connected in a lattice network. They're about to be clever when a dude beams on the ship and starts shooting the bridge crew. Which is not a lot of guys to send in, to be honest. Then they manage to destroy one ship, and... overload something.  Yet somehow they are now free and clear of this thousand-ship swarm and high-tail it out of there.
  • See, that's not so clever. A lattice is a very stable structure. Taking out one node of a lattice is not all that damaging. I don't care what you think you're overloading, worst case you just make a slightly larger hole in an intact lattice.
  • Kes and Belanna bring the EMH back online.
  • Belanna's like, "Look, just getting the EMH back is a win, forget his memories and shit."
  • Which is fortunate, because he doesn't seem to have them.
  • Even Belanna seems sad that he's not back. Aww.
  • But then he sings opera, so probably there are memories in there. That's a pretty nice ending, actually.
  • Credits roll, with no answers to who the swarm is, why they swarm, and no "I told you so, this is why we don't break Starfleet rules" from Tuvok to Janeway or "See, sometimes it's worth breaking the rules" from Janeway to Tuvok, and they still have three days through this space with the dudes who know they're there and have 999 ships right on top of them, and, like, what is this lack of resolution, guys?

The B plot of this one way waaaaaay better than the A plot. The swarm was kind of a fizzle. They don't even end it properly. They really rush hitting that reset  button before the episode is even over. But the B plot is excellent, even though (or because) a lot of it is Robert Picardo playing multiple roles, both of which got proper well-rounded-character-ness. That's clearly where all the writing went.

(This is also why I'm going to have very little patience with Jeri Ryan showing up and angling for all sorts of "Seven learns to be human" storylines, because not only was it already done with Spock in TOS, Data in TNG, and Odo in DS9, but it was already being done very well by the EMH in Voyager. It wasn't only cliche in Star Trek as a whole, but it was already covered more than adequately in Voyager. Picardo did it convincingly twice in this episode, as two distinct holograms. But apparently we need a second "Pinocchio learning to be a real boy" storyline in the same show, because one comes with huge tits for the fanboys and is dating a producer.)

• Like 1

WWJD? 03x05 False Profits

Janeway would:

• Perk up on hearing the words "Alpha Quadrant"
  • Tell people to do science
  • Not intend to leave two Ferengi around to exploit people
  • Calmly and reasonably argue her point about breaking Federation rules
  • Suffer two seconds of despair and set a course for the Alpha quadrant again.

In this episode:

Spoiler
  • A wormhole has opened and closed, to conveniently deposit this week's comedy guest stars.
  • Tuvok detects a bronze-age civilization with Alpha Quadrant technology. Will these be friendly people from home? Oh, those hopeful faces!
  • Tom and Chakotay get sent down to investigate in local fashions, which are pretty terrible.
  • They meet a one-eyed man reciting awful religious poetry.
  • (The first verse is free. You need to pay for the rest. They do not.)
  • The Sages are apparently the new hotness. Also, there is a temple. And to go into it, you need to "wear your ears". Okay, there are worse Ferengi body jokes to make out there.
  • The wormhole does lead to the Alpha quadrant, but the Delta quadrant end isn't fixed, so Belanna and Harry technobabble some answers.
  • Tom and Chakotay trade their shoes to buy ear jewelry. Then a bunch of girls in tacky bellydancing outfits emerge from the temple, cuz Ferengi are pretty tacky. Oh, and then the Ferengi come out. With their replicator.
  • Ah, this is why this town sucks. The "Sages" are teaching them that "greed is eternal".
  • People start approaching for favors, which will end well. Ah, the first lesson is apparently "Exploitation begins at home". Also, the underboob is pretty egregious. And only on the black chick. The white girls get full bras.
  • So the society was apparently flourishing till these dudes showed up, and now it's full of poverty and crap. But I thought an unregulated capitalist market fixed everything?
  • Also, this is a sequel to a Next Gen episode, where two Ferengi disappear down a wormhole with no fixed endpoint. Nice callback.
  • Tuvok raises the point that the Ferengi are not part of the Federation, and thus not bound by the Prime Directive, while they are.
  • This week, Janeway actually reasons with him, rather than being all "suck it, rule boy", and argues that that the Federation was hosting the negotiations during which they disappeared, which makes the Federation responsible for what happened. (Also, arguably the replicator renders the prime directive void, but, y'know.)
  • Tuvok actually likes the logic of her argument a lot. As does Chakotay. She's making all her top dudes happy today.
  • While the Ferengi are berating their money collector, Voyager beams them away. Which is great.
  • No, honestly, I'm loving this.
  • Dude's trying to talk his way out of it. Janeway is not having it.
  • They're expecting the wormhole to open soon to take them back. I wonder how this will go wrong.
  • Dude's trying to argue that she's damaging the local culture by destroying their religion, leaving them hopeless and without gods. I can't believe she's buying this, but she is. She sends them back. Good lord, Janeway, don't listen to those schmucks.
  • So Janeway is planning to manipulate them into leaving voluntarily.
  • So they send Neelix as a Ferengi official. That's definitely Neelix, right? He is pretty convincing as a Ferengi.
  • So Neelix tells them the Grand Negus is recalling them. And takes their profits. And tells them to write a goodbye speech.
  • The Ferengi look up rules of acquisition to get out of this, while Neelix gives away money, which makes him suspicious to the locals.
  • The Ferengi decide to kill Neelix. There's a swordfight, and Neelix gives himself and the whole plot away. Such bravery. Such cunning.
  • The beggar with the poem recites more of it for money, and Chakotay, Tom, and Neelix are just not catching the clues that there is a downfall. Chakotay kind of picks up on it though, and gives the dude his shoes for more poem.
  • Chakotay has new shoes. Voyager must have so many costume shoes.
  • Neelix tries to be the holy pilgrim from the poem. It's a slow burn, but eventually the people show up.
  • The Ferengi try to counter this one, so Chakotay and Tom get Voyager to make the "three new stars" appear. The Ferengi try to get him arrested, but their  right hand dude is so pissed off with them that he rings the bell for the next bit of the song.
  • Which seems to be burning them to death.
  • Neelix doesn't love this.
  • I'm now regretting the "slow burn" reference.
  • But only because I can't make it again.
  • Voyager can't do anything, though, cuz the Ferengi shielded their temple.
  • So Tom and Chakotay go into the vault to try to shut down the shields. And they all get beamed out.
  • Chakotay casts aspersions on the manhood of the Ferengi. He's totally the anti-toxic-masculinity.
  • The Ferengi escape and reach their shuttle and fly back to the planet, and Voyager goes after them.
  • Voyager tries to beam them back, they have technobabble fights, and the wormhole destabilizes. The Ferengi get pulled in. Clearly it will immediately close after them.
  • Indeed, it disappears too soon. Voyager doesn't make it before it collapses.
  • And the Ferengi technobabble destabilized so it's now bouncing around on both ends.
  • Janeway's gutted, and asking for options, and Tuvok's giving her the "there are none" look. Harry gives her the "There are none" words.

This was an oddly hard-hitting ending for a comedy Ferengi episode. They played that ending totally serious, and it worked.

• Like 2

Week 5 Day 5

Week 0
  Practice       Friday      
Clean

Job List

1. UFYH (Kitchen): focus on counter and dishes
    1. sink zero
  2. Clean: prep sofa move
  3. Errands: take out trash and recycling
    1. Movement

Microjobs              
Work Tasks      
  1. Desk organizing
  2. Study (S) cont'd

Microtasks              
Self Care Jobs (8 max)      
  1. Movement

Microjobs              
Rest Sleep Deficit       15h      
Rest Breaks      
  1. Meditation

Mandated Fun Fun Breaks      

Now Next       Done      

1. 30 min rest
  1. Morning Routine
  2. Pack: one moving container
  3. Ship: Prep presents to mail

1. UFYH (Hall)
    1. fold laundry
    2. run laundry
    3. tidy hall
  2. Study (S)
  3. Make Food
  4. Eat and Hydrate
    1. vitamin D
  5.  Rest
  6. Voyager
  7. Voyager cont'd
  8. Eat and Hydrate

• Like 1

WWJD? 03x06 Remember

Janeway would:

• Take passengers for a vague energy technology excuse
  • Wear a great white suit
  • Have a great and sarcastic friendship with Tuvok
  • Listen to Belanna in her ready room
  • Manage to give Belanna one last chance to pass on the memories

In this episode:

Spoiler
  • Voyager is running a bus service. For a bunch of women with feathers for hair. Who are flirting with Harry Kim.
  • (Are these the same featherheads who tried to frame Tom for murder in season 1, or did they just reuse the look? They don't seem like they're meant to be the same.)
  • Belanna's a good wingman for Harry. (Wingman... feathers for hair... get it?)
  • Then has crazy dreams about a dude climbing in her window. She can get some if it's fake, apparently.
  • And wakes up to Chakotay wandering into her room going, "You're late for work, chica." Cuz that's how they roll.
  • Chakotay is all, "This is two late days, you okay?" Cuz he's the hall monitor. And she's all, "I'm fine." Chakotay was not born yesterday and knows when women say they're fine that it means a whole range of things, and is all, "So, this is like, 'finishing the competition on a broken ankle' fine, or...?"
  • Athena Massey. I wonder if she's related to Anna Massey.
  • So Belanna's like, "Gah, dreams!" And Chakotay is all, "Like, bad dreams?" And she's like, "No..." And they have a very flirty conversation about highly realistic sexy dreams, cuz that's also how they roll.
  • Then he's all, "So I assume I won't have to write you up for chronic lateness." This is apparently a joke, cuz she's like, "If you tell anyone..." and he's like, "Yeah, I know, you'll rip out my heart and eat it raw." This dude has Klingon friendship down, guys. Klingon, or he's just met women before.
  • Neelix has been working on a surprise. Dear god.
  • Ah, he's turned the mess hall into a bad junior high prom version of their passengers' planet.
  • Harry's still in with a shot.
  • Janeway learns music from one of the dudes so we can learn they're telepaths who transfer knowledge on a telepathic link.
  • Belanna isn't there, and Chakotay's like, "Nah, she's probably not working late, she probably went to bed early." He says it with a straight face, too.
  • Dream!Belanna is fighting with her Dream!Dad over her Dream!boyfriend. Who is hiding in her closet. Oh, also they're all featherheads. And suddenly mid-ahem-kiss he's badly, probably fatally burnt?
  • And she's like, "Sooo Chakotay... these dreams are getting weird?" and he's all, "Kind of suspicious that it's happening with telepaths on board, huh?"
  • Now Belanna is part of featherhead!Starfleet, with lots of slightly demagogic rhetoric about new dawns and not letting naysayers keep them from great works and stuff. She meets her secret boyfriend, then everyone's papers get checked by police.
  • She's found unconscious near engineering, so this dreaming stuff is getting a bit more invasive.
  • The EMH is like, "Yeah, not dreams. Someone shoved memories into her subconscious."
  • Belanna doesn't want the suppression treatment, but the EMH is like, "Yeah, not sure your curiosity is worth brain damage."
  • The leader of the aliens is like, "No! I can't believe it! We have strict ethics!"
  • Then he's like, "You could accidentally be assembling lots of details you're accidentally picking up from each of us to make sense of them?"
  • And is glad to hear the EMH has suppressed them. That'll end well.
  • Tuvok is like, "Seems basically plausible."
  • The Tuvok/Janeway double act is fantastic.
    Tuvok: And yet, you intend to keep investigating.
    Janeway: I wonder how long it's been since I've done something that's surprised you.
  • Tuvok is like, "I said plausible, but, like, so is deliberate action, so I'm in."
  • Belanna has been ordered to take a couple of days of R&R, so she takes off her memory-suppressor and dives back into the dreams.
  • Where she immediately tries to get answers about whether some people want to be resettled. And is promptly reassured, if that can be called the word, with "Of course, of course, but who can really know what these regressives want?"
  • This is a super healthy planet, guys. Forced resettlement, checking papers, gonna be great.
  • Her dad tries to convince her it's dangerous for them to stay, cuz they're not hygienic. And she's all, "But not all of them want to go." And he's all, "Oh, they'll all be happy."
  • This is getting very concentration camp.
  • She finds out her dad put her boyfriend on the resettlement list. Then she gets knocked down and her cheek is cut, and Belanna decides it's time to go see the old lady featherhead for, er, reasons? Who is apparently the woman in the dream, and would rather give her the rest of her memories than go to sickbay. And, like, maybe her own people have tried to kill her to make her stop doing this?
  • Her boyfriend is on the run, and tells her no one has had contact with anyone who's been resettled for months, and the rumor is they're all being killed.
  • Her dad is all, "Nothing to worry about, your boyfriend is spreading lies, like all the regressives, they have no conscience, they'll say anything to get what they want. You're not the only girl he's told he loved to gain sympathy, turn against their own families. That's very cruel, isn't it?"
  • So she gives up her hiding boyfriend in the bathroom.
  • Her dad takes the boyfriend and another guy and burns them alive with purple light, and Belanna becomes all fist-pumping angry mob.
  • And years later tells little kids the official story about how allllll those people were peacefully resettled and destroyed themselves with their backwards ideas and unhygienic ways.
  • The old featherhead lady is dead.
  • Belanna finally shows up at a public function and starts yelling accusations at the lead featherhead. Who is all, "The old lady was ill, she was confused, your perceptions were colored by your culture..."
  • I mean, Belanna's convincing, but she's still the lone crazy lady.
  • Belanna's like, "We have to make it public." And Janeway's like, "You tried that today, didn't you?" And Belanna's like, "We could... find proof." And Janeway's like, "If they want to hide part of their history from their people... well, it's their call." And Belanna's like, "But it could happen again!" Yeah, I have bad news for you, Belanna, remembering the events doesn't actually make that less likely. There are always gonna be people who want to emulate them.
  • Then Belanna's all, "But this woman was killed on this ship, we could expose that." And Janeway's like, "There was no evidence. Sorry."
  • Belanna's all, "So no consequences?" And Janeway's like, "Well, I did cancel shore leave." That'll show 'em.
  • But then she's like, "You know, their engineers are still here, if you feel the need to, uh, go see them..."
  • So Belanna asks this engineer woman who was hitting on Harry to go prove her wrong by finding the colony and talking to people, and wants to share what she learned, and finally the woman is like, "Uh, well, I could make a telepathic connection, and, like, see for myself?"
  • So now she's having memories about the boyfriend dude climbing in the window. There is now presumably an underground memory trade.

Spoiler

On the one hand, some interesting "how a holocaust happens" stuff, and on the other... a little dull? And also, from the perspective of 20 years later, I find the whole "never forget; if people just remember it'll never happen again" thing sort of naive. Once you get people with torches yelling "blood and soil" as they march through town with tiki torches, you kind of realize that there's no inherent aversion to Naziism caused by simple clear memory of it. Some people remember and want to emulate, and people rise or fall to the morality of the peers they choose. So this was very sweet, and you wanted to pat the writer's blind faith in the "never forget" motto on the head.

• Like 2

Week 5 Day 6

Week 0
  Practice       Friday      
Clean

Job List

1. Hang laundry & Sink zero
  2. Clean: prep sofa move
    1. rug
    2. prep & move sofa
  3. Errands: take out trash and recycling
    1. Movement

Microjobs              
Work Tasks      

Microtasks              
Self Care Jobs (8 max)      
  1. Movement

Microjobs              
Rest Sleep Deficit       13.5h      
Rest Breaks      
  1. Meditation

Mandated Fun Fun Breaks      
  1. Voyager
  2. Voyager cont'd

Now Next       Done      
  1. Eat and Hydrate
  2. Voyager
  3. Voyager cont'd
  1. Ship: Prep presents to mail
  2. Tidy from other jobs
  3. Clean: prep sofa move
    1. clean workspace
    2. clear projects

1. Call
  2. Call
  3. Call
  4. Call
  5. Morning Routine
  6. Order groceries
  7. Read
  8. Rest
  9. Pack: moving container
    1. make anti-moth defenses
  10. Start filling Halloween basket
  11. Eat and Hydrate
    1. Prep hydration sources
    2. vitamin D
  12. Read
  13. Make Food
    1. Boil some water for later job

• Like 2

WWJD? 03x08 Sacred Ground

I had a whole writeup that the internet ate, but the basic gist is this. On the left is Trek writers feeling insecure about their graduate degrees in Jungian archetype, and on the right is me (and Janeway, before she learned A Valuable Lesson About Faith):

can-your-science-explain-why-it-rains-ye

Ultimately, I'm going to pretend that less of this episode was condescending "LOL, scientists and their foolish naive science, it's clearly the people who choose not to know things who know more", and a lot more of it was Janeway engaging in tasteful lesbian softcore with alien women before being Kes's lesbian hero and carrying her through the wormhole the way they film dudes saving the women they love, while Chakotay plays her protective poly toyboy.

tumblr_nuaxsyQii61uyxwdzo2_r1_500.gif tumblr_nuaxsyQii61uyxwdzo5_r1_500.gif

Because, while a slightly condescending liberal arts view of science is part of Trek DNA, I know what is even more part of Trek's DNA, and that is captains in contrived softcore scenes. Believe me, Janeway's tasteful lesbian softcore and first officer toyboy are as good as Trek gets on that front, even though they didn't really know it or exploit it at the time. (Trek failing to exploit softcore scenarios is like... something is wrong with it. It's ill. This is why I'm going to ignore this episode's plot, and remember only its subtext. It's what it would have wanted.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hated that episode. It's like one of those games where you have to figure out the rules as you play, no one explains anything, and you are the only one learning the game. 

It feels like such a classic sci-fi trope, and it was at its tropiest here. Profound mysticism paint-by-numbers. You could almost feel the backslapping about how clever the writers were, and then they had these characters who were all complaining that Janeway was making too many assumptions about what she had to do also slap her down for slowing down and asking what taking Kes back into the field would do rather than making assumptions. Which really just turns it into an exercise in dominance, to be honest. Also, when they told her the first time that she had what she needed to save Kes, it was just a damn lie. That seriously undermines them as mystical teachers and arbiters here.

Also, I feel like they had to take Janeway slightly out of character to do it. Individually at any of those points, she could be abrupt and headstrong, but at all of those points seems unlikely. This is not a woman who doesn't know how to listen to people. Most of her screen time in the last episode was spent listening to her engineer spin some wild tale about genocide memories. They're stuck here in the first place because she listened to some elderly cryptic alien and understood him.

Honestly, though, I started having problems when they had a tour guide who didn't bother with any "don't touch the lethal stuff" warnings or signs. I've been to museums and parks. They tell you not to touch the lethal stuff. They tell you not to touch a lot of the non-lethal stuff.

And my next problem was six minutes in when they didn't just let us start getting rid of the hitchhikers. Would one down, one to go really have been so bad?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Honestly, though, I started having problems when they had a tour guide who didn't bother with any "don't touch the lethal stuff" warnings or signs. I've been to museums and parks. They tell you not to touch the lethal stuff. They tell you not to touch a lot of the non-lethal stuff.

Same problem they had in TNG when Wesley stepped on the flowers on the Nearly Naked-People Sexy Sex planet.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath