Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Work. Workout. WTF.
 

Please Stand By State Champs GIF by Pure Noise Records

 

I am finally, thankfully, working again. But with that comes a lot of, well…. Everything.

 

I don’t have a 9 to 5 sit at a desk job. It’s a standing, moving things, making food, and dealing with lots of people face to face job. With a seemingly constantly changing schedule.

 

The unofficial goals of this challenge: don’t let anything burn down, don’t make anyone disappear, and don’t mouth off to the wrong people.


The real goals: wash my face, have breakfast prepared, and update my dry erase wall calendar when something changes. Also to keep following September’s exercise plan.

 

More details to come.

 

  • Like 7

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to comment

And now, the details!

 

Wash Face (every day)

This is a goal from last challenge. I was successful at it, so it’s now been moved up to “habit in training”. If I’m successful at it this time around, it’ll graduate to a habit.

 

Prepared Breakfast

By the end of this challenge, I want to have 5 breakfasts prepared for a week. Zero Week is going to be getting the stuff I need for it. Like, containers. And then during the challenge add 1 breakfast a week to the goal.

 

The Calendar

By the end of the challenge, I should be updating the calendar every day. If nothing changes in my schedule, I still need to cross off the day before I go to bed.

 

September Training

Continue to follow my workout plan. With 9 workouts this month. It’s a beginner kettlebell routine that I’ve been progressing through since July. The plan gets updated once a month. This month was supposed to add half Turkish get ups. Then I quickly found out during my last workout that I can’t do even one. The problem, kettlebell too heavy. 😅 So, that part will need to be slightly revised. I’m thinking a combination of practicing the movement without any weight to work on my form. And then with the kettlebell doing only the first step. So, lying on the floor and holding the kettlebell up.

 

I track everything on my phone. And on a sheet I’ll have on the cork board in my room. And then my BFF will nag me if she sees I’m not doing the things.

  • Like 7

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to comment

here for this!

  • Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

                                                                                                                                                                 Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Link to comment
On 9/6/2021 at 4:10 PM, zeroh13 said:

 

This is a goal from last challenge. I was successful at it, so it’s now been moved up to “habit in training”. If I’m successful at it this time around, it’ll graduate to a habit.

 

 

I absolutely love  this hierarchy for habits - I feel like you've just given me a tool I have needed for habit building for quite some time. Thanks!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 9/7/2021 at 1:23 PM, zeroh13 said:

I think I need to rework my workout routine. There’s something about it that I don’t like. But I don’t know what exactly. And if I don’t like it, there’s a high chance that I’ll just end up not doing it.

This I totally understand. Could you swap out random parts of it until you find something you do like? Now I am wondering if that made sense....

  • Like 1

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Link to comment
On 9/6/2021 at 12:10 AM, zeroh13 said:

The problem, kettlebell too heavy. 😅 So, that part will need to be slightly revised. I’m thinking a combination of practicing the movement without any weight to work on my form. And then with the kettlebell doing only the first step. So, lying on the floor and holding the kettlebell up.

 

The person who taught me TGUs had us start with balancing a shoe on the hand in question. Good way to mind your form throughout without worrying about weight yet. 

 

What part of the workout is leaving you feeling :( ?

  • Like 3

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

 

Link to comment
12 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

This I totally understand. Could you swap out random parts of it until you find something you do like? Now I am wondering if that made sense....

That makes perfect sense. And it’s probably what I’ll end up doing. Swap things in and out and around until the routine is something I like.

 

10 hours ago, Manarelle said:

 

The person who taught me TGUs had us start with balancing a shoe on the hand in question. Good way to mind your form throughout without worrying about weight yet. 

 

What part of the workout is leaving you feeling :( ?

A shoe sounds a lot less stressful than a cup of water. That’s what the site I’ve been following suggested. And practice until you don’t get drenched.

 

 

I was thinking about what wasn’t working with the workout last night while I was doing it. I think the vibe of it is off. Which is something that might only make sense to me. Let’s call what I like “explosive flow”.  And what I have now doesn’t fit that.

  • Like 3

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to comment
9 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

A shoe sounds a lot less stressful than a cup of water. That’s what the site I’ve been following suggested. And practice until you don’t get drenched.

 

Yeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh go with the shoe. That sounds weirdly glutton-for-punishment-y. 

 

Does explosive flow have to do with the exercise types, like starting with a big ol movement instead of even velocity? 

  • Like 2

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

 

Link to comment

I have a challenge I want to do, don’t I? It’s been living at the back of my mind. Not front and center. I think it’s because I haven’t made my sheet for the corkboard. Making that has been friends with procrastination.

 

I’ve been working a fair bit. It’s good. Some long days. But the work itself hasn’t been hard. A bit hectic at times with I work over at the cafe. But concessions has been calm. Nothing big till later this month. When we have an Earth, Wind, and Fire concert.

  • Like 6

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to comment
14 hours ago, Tateman said:

That might bring a few people :D

 

 

I’ll need to ask what the estimated attendance is. Max capacity for our area (it’s on a college campus) is around 5,500 with a concert.* Which is a good size for what it is. The previous college I worked at had an arena with about half that capacity.
 

*We are currently allowed to operate at max, with face covering restrictions.

  • Like 4

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to comment
On 9/15/2021 at 1:04 PM, zeroh13 said:

I have a challenge I want to do, don’t I? It’s been living at the back of my mind. Not front and center. I think it’s because I haven’t made my sheet for the corkboard. Making that has been friends with procrastination.

 

Maybe it would be worth setting aside some time to start on the corkboard? Give yourself permission to not finish in one go, but just starting my help you get on track.

  • Like 3

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Link to comment

I finally got the sheet done. And week 1 looks sad. But at least I can see it now? It was mostly staying hydrated that I failed at. Need to keep a better eye on drinking water during the day.

 

I had Friday off this week. We got beer and pizza to celebrate me working again. I’ve been working for a bit now, but waited for my second paycheck so I could treat both friends. (The three of us live together.)

 

Earlier today I did my first attempt at overnight oats in a very long time. The protein powder I just got turned it a slight green color. So not really the most appealing looking… In the morning I’ll find out if it tastes okay.

 

Yesterday I did a new workout I put together. And I like it. Except for one exercise: kettlebell row. Really, it’s my shoulders that don’t like it. They kept popping. So now I need an alternative exercise. No idea what yet.

  • Like 6

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to comment
On 9/18/2021 at 6:40 PM, zeroh13 said:

Yesterday I did a new workout I put together. And I like it. Except for one exercise: kettlebell row. Really, it’s my shoulders that don’t like it. They kept popping. So now I need an alternative exercise. No idea what yet.

 

Perhaps you might try some less rigorous exercise for your shoulders such as non-weighted resistance band bent over rows plus another weighted exercise that won't have the same effect on your shoulders to balance out the strengthening effect? I wonder if single-arm clean and jerks would work...

  • Like 1

Current NF Challenge: X

Level 3 Wasteland Traveling Merchant and Lamespren

Initial Character Build: S4 P5 E3 C5 I6 A3 L2 | Current Character Build: S4 P5 E4 C5 I6 A3 L2

Most recent perk earned: Life Giver

Link to comment
On 9/18/2021 at 6:40 PM, zeroh13 said:

Earlier today I did my first attempt at overnight oats in a very long time. The protein powder I just got turned it a slight green color. So not really the most appealing looking… In the morning I’ll find out if it tastes okay.

I never tried this myself. I've seen people do it. I'm curious how they turned out for you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, TrashcanCarla said:

 

Perhaps you might try some less rigorous exercise for your shoulders such as non-weighted resistance band bent over rows plus another weighted exercise that won't have the same effect on your shoulders to balance out the strengthening effect? I wonder if single-arm clean and jerks would work...

It’s the movement, not the weight or how rigorous it is. Specifically, how the rotator cuff joint moves. Which depends on so many factors. I’m slowly growing a list of movements that I can’t do safely do because of hypermobility. (And may never be able to do.)
 

I can do a clean no problem. It’s the movement I use to get into the press and hold position. Which is in the workout. But what I want is to include a pulling movement in the workout.

  • Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Tateman said:

I never tried this myself. I've seen people do it. I'm curious how they turned out for you.

I’m now at two attempts at the overnight oats. The only real difference between them is that the first used protein powder, and the second didn’t. They both tasted good. But the protein powder one had a slightly gritty consistency. And I did use a shaker cup to mix the powder and oat milk together before mixing it with the oats. Gritty is just what that powder does. Next time I buy some, I’ll try a different brand.

 

The oat milk I used this time was vanilla flavor. Which added a nice amount of sweetness on its own. I do want to experiment with different plant milks though. There’s a dark chocolate one I’m eyeing. Top it with banana and nuts. And I think coconut milk could be good with pineapple and shredded coconut to make a pina colada flavor.

  • Like 3

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to comment

I now have a workout that I like!

 

I’m naming it 8^12 (8 to the power of 12)

 

Slingshot (aka around the world)8 clockwise and 8 counter clockwise (x2)

Two Handed Swing: 8

Two Handed Row: 8

Bottoms up Press and Hold: 8 seconds (x2 on each side)

Reverse Lunge (no kettlebell) 8 each side

 

To be clear, by two handed row, I mean holding one kettlebell in two hands. Not the one where you do two kettlebells at the same time.

 

Not progressing at all on the squats was bugging me too much. So I decided to switch them out with the reverse lunges. Which I haven’t done in a very long time. So I need to work on my form before adding a kettlebell to the mix.

 

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it in this challenge before, but I do the bottoms up hold because the regular hold was putting too much weight on my forearm and ended up starting to bruise it. Just the weight. I was very careful to hold it correctly and to not slam it at all. I just bruise too easily.
 

It sucks when you do everything right, and it still causes problems. Which I’m finding is a sad trend in my workout journey.

  • Like 5

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines