Looking for Diet Coke Alternatives (that won't go bad overnight in a warm room)

I take allergy medication (and sometimes a few Advil) in the mornings and it takes a short while before I'm un-fuzzy enough to make it down the stairs. Historically I've been popping open a can of Diet Coke to take them with, but it's something I'd like to change.

I'm already in the midst of replacing the caffeine source with tea-- but as the tea making things are downstairs, I need to have something on-hand in the bedroom to take the pills with.

So, my thoughts so far:

1. Using a smaller can of Diet Coke or pouring a small amount from a bottle = better, but I'd like to get rid of it entirely
  2. Warm water (even filtered) tastes horrible and in the summer the upstairs is quite warm
    1. Anything I pick has to be able to sit in a warm room overnight so I can drink it first thing in the morning
  3. The tap water upstairs is cold(ish), but tastes horrible in it's own unique way. (sigh)
  4. I tend to feel like -bleep- before the allergy meds kick in, so I want something I enjoy (hence not powering through with the water options, regardless of taste)
  5. Aluminum cans appear to be better recycling targets than plastics, so I'd like to stick to them (or something I can put in a reusable water bottle).
  6. I'm trying to avoid fake sugars that are in 99.99% of canned drinks

So, err... anyone have any ideas? The only thing I can think of is seltzer water (I do like the Black Cherry one), but I have no idea what the long term implications are of having one a day.

If figured I should ask in case other folks have fought the same fight and can give me some tips! 😁

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

8 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

So, err... anyone have any ideas? The only thing I can think of is seltzer water (I do like the Black Cherry one), but I have no idea what the long term implications are of having one a day.

La Croix seltzer waters are very tolerable at room temperature, and they have a large number of flavors to pick from. I have anywhere from zero to four of them per day, and the only side-effect I have noticed is that all the seltzer appears to be calming down my chronic stomach upset situation, which is something I see as a positive thing.

if you own a thermos flask or mug, they are just as good at keeping things cold, as they are at keeping things warm/hot. If you could put a cold beverage in one before going to bed, it may not still be very cold, but it could potentially remain cool enough to be pleasant. 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

On 9/2/2021 at 12:17 AM, Scaly Freak said:

La Croix seltzer waters are very tolerable at room temperature, and they have a large number of flavors to pick from. I have anywhere from zero to four of them per day, and the only side-effect I have noticed is that all the seltzer appears to be calming down my chronic stomach upset situation, which is something I see as a positive thing.

if you own a thermos flask or mug, they are just as good at keeping things cold, as they are at keeping things warm/hot. If you could put a cold beverage in one before going to bed, it may not still be very cold, but it could potentially remain cool enough to be pleasant. 

Thanks! I'll give them a risk then-- I'm never sure how well things are going to taste warm. :)

I have a few thermoses, I think, I'll go dig them out and experiment with some ice overnight (and check with with a thermometer in the morning). It hadn't occurred to me that they might last that long-- I was actually trying to figure out if I could fit a cooler or mini-fridge in a corner upstairs and pretend I was in college again. 😂

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

On 9/1/2021 at 8:31 PM, Isaac Robertson said:

What about kombucha? 

I've seen that in the grocery store, but I've never been brave enough to try it. It just pings my 'that's gone bad, don't eat it' instincts (although I love sourdough and yogurt, so my brain's a bit hypocritical). 😅

5 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

Thanks! I'll give them a risk then-- I'm never sure how well things are going to taste warm. :)

I have a few thermoses, I think, I'll go dig them out and experiment with some ice overnight (and check with with a thermometer in the morning). It hadn't occurred to me that they might last that long-- I was actually trying to figure out if I could fit a cooler or mini-fridge in a corner upstairs and pretend I was in college again. 😂

Yeti tumblers with the lids keep things cold a long time. They are expensive. Happily, the yeti clones work just as well and are way cheaper. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath