Please hold

Thank you for your patience, we will shortly resume with our regularly scheduled challenges.   Please see below for a word from concessions

And without further ado, it is time to put the challenge on hold until further notice

I have plans.  Big plans.  Important plans.  And I intend to get to them, but not just yet.  A couple of things are driving this.

1.  I have been working on my tattoo sleeve for about half a year now and I am getting so that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  It may even get finished up by the end of this channel, although that may be overly optimistic.  Unfortunately while it is ongoing I struggle to maintain a regular workout schedule because I have to keep taking recovery breaks after my weekly sessions.  My big exercise plans are just going to have to wait until this is done.

2.  The end of this month I will be going on vacation for the Chinese National Day and will be spending a week in the lovely city of Sanya on the South China Sea.  I will probably not get much exercising done while I am there.    Food is also likely to be very poor.  I expect to be there only one week, but the last time I was there we had the same expectation and ended being stuck there on lockdown for a month.  In this ae of pandemics, travel plans should be kept flexible.    

I am not going to just give up, but this challenge will mostly be about maintaining a holding pattern.  If I can finish off the challenge roughly close to where I started I will call it a success. 

I am going to have very low goals consisting of:

6 park workouts - This comes out to an average of once per week.  I will likely get more but those will just be bonus.  The focus of these workouts will be calisthenics skills (Front & back lever, muscle up, human flag, planche, iron cross, handstand pushups, and other related tricks)

4 strength workouts - This could be at the gym or at home with dumbbells.  The workouts will be based on exercises recommended by Jeff Cavalier of Athlean-X

Not too much snacking -  This is very vague but I know what I mean even if I can't express it accurately.  Intuitive control will be key.

Learn 3 songs on the Uke - I have a friend who wants to try and work on some duets with me and we have selected 3 songs to learn.  Hopefully we will get them down by the end of the challenge.  The stated objective here is fun and experience over technical accuracy or aural appeal so in the unlikely event that they do ever get shared here expectations should be set accordingly.

• Like 14
  • That's Metal 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Following for snacks, possible vacation pictures, and park workouts if they happen

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE Moves

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 63

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

People that own this legendary CD from The Offspring (the kids that do not know what a CD or who The Offspring is: "Get off my lawn!") know that the next song after intermission picks up speed. That is exactly what i expect you to do! As soon as your intermission is over, pick up speed!

Enjoy your self WG!

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...

I see Monty Python, and I am right there with you.

This is becoming silly.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

So we're both having a sort of nothing kind of challenge before our bigger projects kick in! Here for it. 

• Like 2

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

On 9/5/2021 at 7:28 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I have plans.  Big plans.  Important plans.  And I intend to get to them, but not just yet. 

I relate to this phrase so much. It has probably been my life's motto.

I stumbled across your thread last challenge, and just wanted to say that your tattoo sleeve looks so awesome.

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

On 9/5/2021 at 9:24 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following for snacks and the lobby 

Ideally we won't be having many snacks in the lobby so you may be disappointed :P 

22 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Following. :) 

Glad to have you here

22 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Hold music roped me in, challenge goals made me stay lol

I think you may be the first person ever to come watch something because the intermission looked interesting :D

22 hours ago, RES said:

Following for snacks, possible vacation pictures, and park workouts if they happen

Vacation pics and park workouts will certainly happen.  Who am I kidding, snacks will happen too...

18 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

the kids that do not know what a CD or who The Offspring is: "Get off my lawn!"

I am one of those kids that hasn't ever heard of The Offspring.  I'll get off your lawn after a few more cartwheels :P 

17 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

This is becoming silly.

http://i.imgur.com/XaPE9qB.png  

17 hours ago, deftona said:

So we're both having a sort of nothing kind of challenge before our bigger projects kick in! Here for it. 

I'm still not convinced we aren't just different iterations of the same person

14 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Yaaay uke songs, can't wait! :D

Nothing fancy, so keep your expectations low

5 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I relate to this phrase so much. It has probably been my life's motto.

This is probably something we can all relate to

Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow (Red) Art Print by CreativeAngel | Society6

And thanks, I am really happy with the progress so far

----------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday morning I had to run to the bank.  I tried to make a deposit for all of the tithes we have collected at church over the course of the pandemic but they wouldn't accept it.  It turns out that from the bank's perspective, processing these donations is indistinguishable from money laundering.  We finally found a bank that would let us process it, but we really need to come up with a better system, the one we currently use is quickly becoming unworkable.  It was well past noon by the time we finally got everything settled.

I spent most of the afternoon playing Skyrim.  I am doing a necromancer/conjurer build again but this time I am avoiding all of the vanilla questlines and just doing DLC and a bunch of add-on mods, which really makes it feel like I am playing a whole different game. 

In the evening I made some pork & cabbage stir fry because I had a bunch of cabbage that needed using up.

• Like 6

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I tried to make a deposit for all of the tithes we have collected at church over the course of the pandemic but they wouldn't accept it.  It turns out that from the bank's perspective, processing these donations is indistinguishable from money laundering. 

Do they know, from before ...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I think you may be the first person ever to come watch something because the intermission looked interesting :D

What can I say, when you're bored, you're bored 🤣

I'm also the person who can entertain themselves watching the credits of the movie and holding running commentary a-la-MST3K about all the names, so.... (apparently this is why my friends bring me to marvel movies, so I can entertain them while they wait for the post-credit scenes) 

It-seems-like-only-yesterday-that-I-was-kicked-out?size=800

Ideally we won't be having many snacks in the lobby so you may be disappointed :P 

*is sneaking snacks into the lobby inside an elaborate horse statue* What are you talking about, it's a present for Athena, it's super not for you, don't even think about opening it.

On 9/6/2021 at 1:18 AM, Mr_Willes said:

the kids that do not know what a CD or who The Offspring is: "Get off my lawn!"

200.gif

Is this a bad time to mention I'm not exactly sure how CD's work? 

Ehhhhh....? 

I am tiptoeing off the lawn. You never saw me here.

Nothing fancy, so keep your expectations low

Oh, the expectations are high. 😈

Literally any ukelele is exciting tho, what kinds of things are you trying to learn?

It turns out that from the bank's perspective, processing these donations is indistinguishable from money laundering.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

What does that even mean 😂🤣 Are banks just not set up to handle donations?? This seems a common enough business practice to have systems in place...?

I am avoiding all of the vanilla questlines and just doing DLC and a bunch of add-on mods, which really makes it feel like I am playing a whole different game. 

Isn't that one of the best things about skyrim? you can play it like 1000 times and do a completely different game every time. 

In the evening I made some pork & cabbage stir fry because I had a bunch of cabbage that needed using up.

Yum!!

What is it about cabbage that when you cut a cabbage in half you now have two cabbages the same size as the original, and then when you cut those in half, you now have four cabbages the same size as the original? 

5m5f1r.jpg.14815522ee3da413689e012a503788b9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Following for the intermissions, tattoos, snacks, poor food choices, and posts that I inevitably end up reading in email alerts and only mentally liking. 

• Haha 3

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

On 9/5/2021 at 7:28 AM, WhiteGhost said:

shared here

Oh, please do!  As a fellow uker, I would love love love to hear you play!

Cabbage GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

16 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Do they know, from before ...

Not really.  The last time we had to do it was in 2019 and a lot had changed since then.  Cash was already on the way out then and the pandemic has only just pushed it farther to the fringes.

9 hours ago, Happienumber said:

*is sneaking snacks into the lobby inside an elaborate horse statue* What are you talking about, it's a present for Athena, it's super not for you, don't even think about opening it.

I probably wouldn't have an opportunity anyway.  Ghostlet is like one of those truffle sniffing pigs and can find snacks no matter where I may have hidden them :D 

Literally any ukelele is exciting tho, what kinds of things are you trying to learn?

O Susanna, Clementine and She'll be Coming Round the Mountain.  

What does that even mean 😂🤣 Are banks just not set up to handle donations?? This seems a common enough business practice to have systems in place...?

Not common at all.  First of all, churches are not recognized entities here and as such are not allowed to maintain bank accounts.  In order to do anything here, we had to create a front company* that is able to conduct actual business (like having a bank account) on behalf of the church.  The current system does not allow members to dnate directly to the bank so the only way we are able to take donations is in cash.  We then go to the bank with a big wad of cash to deposit and they want to know where this cash is coming from to ensure it was obtained legally.  Because the company is just a front company and none of us are actually employed by it, the bank is unable to do background checks on anyone making the deposit because we do not have any proof that we are affiliated with the company and therefore cannot are very hesitant to allow the cash into the system.

* Our use of a front company has been approved by the religious affairs bureau and the local government agency that oversees our activities, so we are not doing anything illegal, we just happen to not be doing anything that is technically legal either.  

Isn't that one of the best things about skyrim? you can play it like 1000 times and do a completely different game every time.

In theory this is true, but in the vanilla game you really only end up with 3 possible builds (Sneak Archer, Tank, or Conjurer).  Nothing else is strong enough to survive in the higher levels so no matter what you start with they will always revert to one of these.

8 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Following for the intermissions, tattoos, snacks, poor food choices, and posts that I inevitably end up reading in email alerts and only mentally liking. 

You're here for all the right reasons :D 

7 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Oh, please do!  As a fellow uker, I would love love love to hear you play!

The purpose of these songs is actually to try and learn a duet and so I suspect the final product will be unsuitable for presentation.  I could probably put up some solo stuff, though.

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

What a tease 😛 

Bowman's in Space (Alternate title: So many pizza gifs, so little time) –  Cannonball Read 13

5 hours ago, Rookie said:

Following for cabbage and tattoos. 

Some of this will surely happen ;) 

--------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I made it to the park for my first park workout of the challenge.  I was worried that the muscle ups I learned to do last week would be a one-off but I was still able to do them.  I was of course extremely pleased about this.  In fact, I even got a new PR of 3 in a row.  I broke out my gymnastics rings there and realized that the width at which you hang them makes a huge difference in the difficulty level.  

When I got home I discovered that Ghostess was still at home and had decided not to go into work.  We then spent the rest of the day going through one of the spare bedrooms and got it organized.  Over the course of the pandemic, it had kind of become a default storage area and it had piles of stuff everywhere.  After several trips to our actual storage room in the basement and several loads going to the dumpster, the room finally looks like a livable space again.

• Like 9

Level 2 Ninja

33 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Not common at all.  First of all, churches are not recognized entities here and as such are not allowed to maintain bank accounts.  In order to do anything here, we had to create a front company* that is able to conduct actual business (like having a bank account) on behalf of the church.  The current system does not allow members to dnate directly to the bank so the only way we are able to take donations is in cash.  We then go to the bank with a big wad of cash to deposit and they want to know where this cash is coming from to ensure it was obtained legally.  Because the company is just a front company and none of us are actually employed by it, the bank is unable to do background checks on anyone making the deposit because we do not have any proof that we are affiliated with the company and therefore cannot are very hesitant to allow the cash into the system.

Yeah, that is money laundering by anyone's perspective. You're just obtaining the money legally. :D 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

3 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Yeah, that is money laundering by anyone's perspective. You're just obtaining the money legally. :D 

Right?  Although to be completely accurate you would have to say that we are not obtaining the money illegally, which is an uncomfortable grey area to have to operate in.

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

1 minute ago, WhiteGhost said:

Right?  Although to be completely accurate you would have to say that we are not obtaining the money illegally, which is an uncomfortable grey area to have to operate in.

Even more if the donations have been building up because no one could get to the bank due to various restrictions, I imagine...? 

You will simply have to build a gigantic money vault in the church basement. The bank leaves you no other option.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

You're here for all the right reasons :D 

My reasons might not be the best but they’re my favorites 😂 

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

* Our use of a front company has been approved by the religious affairs bureau and the local government agency that oversees our activities, so we are not doing anything illegal, we just happen to not be doing anything that is technically legal either.  

yikes.png.99f4952d69a23fdfa63e2ea2b10a5679.png

I am

So thankful

I am not you.

In theory this is true, but in the vanilla game you really only end up with 3 possible builds (Sneak Archer, Tank, or Conjurer).  Nothing else is strong enough to survive in the higher levels so no matter what you start with they will always revert to one of these.

Or you are me, and you have spent over 150 hours as a migrant farm worker and small time khajit-stalking merchant...

I was worried that the muscle ups I learned to do last week would be a one-off but I was still able to do them.  I was of course extremely pleased about this.  In fact, I even got a new PR of 3 in a row.

YES!!! Way to go!!

• Like 2

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The last time we had to do it was in 2019 and a lot had changed since then.

I was trying to reference the borderhopping situation (IIRC).

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

In fact, I even got a new PR of 3 in a row. 

GOALS material! I wanna be you when i grow up...

• Like 1

Here for it! This sounds like such a delightful challenge. I'll need tattoo pictures please. (I too have a sleeve in progress and can't wait to get more ink.)

23 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Is this a bad time to mention I'm not exactly sure how CD's work? 

You. You go sit down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • That's Metal 1

"We can be heroes"