Jessebel's Pilgrimage to the Dojo

Zero week. Day one. 

Commentary: Why Daihonzan Chozen-ji Doesn't Charge for Programs - Lion's  Roar

My last challenge was over a year ago. I was training to prepare for an intense period of zen practice called sesshin. While my training went well, I experienced a brain injury caused by a series of seizures. Since then, I have regained my ability to walk and speak clearly. I started working again in July. My over arching goal is to return to my dojo ready for anything. 

This challenge will reflect my first steps in preparation for my pilgrimage. 

Goal #1: Eat without distraction

This will encourage mindfulness with eating. I tend to make better choices with nutrition and pay more attention to my level of hunger when I pay attention to what I am doing. In my life, this primarily means avoiding scrolling on my phone and not eating while driving. 

Goal #2: Move every day

I am still overwhelmed with keeping up with domestic tasks and work. Whether I go on a several mile hike or take my dogs on a quick walk, I commit to move each day. I will try to incorporate sword cuts and will go to the ocean or mountains at least once each week. 

Goal #3: Keep up the good work

I have been an occupational therapist for awhile but have always worked in the community or in mental health. I am currently working in a hospital. Interestingly, I find working in the hospital to be a good counterpart to rinzai zen training. I need to be aware of my surroundings and ready to act appropriately at all times. Working with people who have COVID-19 requires compassion and courage. Knowing when to push someone and when to encourage rest requires I practice wisdom.

I will be a modern day samurai one day, gosh darn it. 

Aloha and mahalo for reading. 

• Like 6
  • That's Metal 3

Well met, Jessebel. Welcome back.

I like your path focus.

I have a similar situation with head injury and seizures, the the injury caused the seizures in my case. What was it with head injuries in the last couple of years? Anyway, very glad to meet you.

Looking forward to cheering you on.

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | Year 9: 

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

6 hours ago, annyshay said:

Hi Jessebel! 

Your goals are awesome and I am totally enamored of the idea of an occupational therapist slash samurai. That's an awesome motivation!

I also work in the hospital with COVID-19 patients and all the others, and to you I say - thank you for all you do!

Thanks! How long have you worked in hospitals and what do you do? The hospital is definitely not my natural habitat. Lol.

2 hours ago, Heidi said:

Well met, Jessebel. Welcome back.

I like your path focus.

I have a similar situation with head injury and seizures, the the injury caused the seizures in my case. What was it with head injuries in the last couple of years? Anyway, very glad to meet you.

Looking forward to cheering you on.

My seizures are actually the result of a motor vehicle accident (hit as a pedestrian) about 10 years ago. Fortunately, I very rarely have seizures now even without medication. Unfortunately, my first seizure in 2 years was status. And definitely the result of sleep deprivation and stress. 

Thanks for coming by!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

Great goals! And good luck!

Thanks muchly!

7 hours ago, annyshay said:

I'm an infectious disease doctor, and I've been in hospitals for about... 12 years, though I work in clinics also, so it's not all the time.

That's really cool. I would love to hear more about your work, but I think I have more than a reasonable amount of questions. 

Today went well. I did eat my meals without distractions and really enjoyed it. I only have dinner remaining which is coming soon to a belly near me. 

I am going to walk my dogs after dinner and had quite a run around day at work. 

Work went okay. I saw a good number of people and took a little extra time to get to know the layout of some of the floors I am less familiar with. I think I may look into some continuing education for some of the more common diagnoses I encounter as well. 

Good times. Onward!

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 9:49 PM, Jessebel said:

Good times. Onward!

It's been a while... are things still good? How are your dogs doing?

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

On 9/7/2021 at 11:00 AM, Kishi said:

Yooooo, your goals look awesome. I especially like the movement component, as someone who's having to negotiate that challenge a lot my own self with a sedentary job.

Happy you could join us this challenge! I look forward to seeing what you do. :)

Thanks! Sometimes the things that seem like they should be the most simple end up being the most challenging. 

On 9/14/2021 at 4:45 AM, Mistr said:

I do rinzai zen too! I am happy to have another zen person in our monastery. :D 

Your goals look sensible and achievable. I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

That's exciting! Do you practice any of the many ways as part of your training? I  had been doing kendo and ceramics, primarily. 

On 9/19/2021 at 2:13 PM, Scaly Freak said:

It's been a while... are things still good? How are your dogs doing?

Updating my challenges isn't my greatest strength. I want to be better. I will put in more effort. 

The doggos are lovely. 

20210923_140357.thumb.jpg.9df381451b377af1dba5b2c040aa074d.jpg

It is already the 23rd which is proof that I have no idea how time works. 

I have been doing well with eating without distractions overall. Sometimes habit takes over, but I am able to stop myself when I notice it occurring. I took the Facebook and Instagram apps off my phone. I can still access them through the websites, but it takes more effort and slows my mindless scrolling roll. I am eating much less fast food although it has not been totally eradicated. I am okay with this. It was less the eating of the fast food that bothered me and more the mindlessly eating the easiest thing out of habit instead of desire. 

I have been moving most days in large part to the the joy it brings the doggos. It turns out that, no matter how much they love running around the park, they are unable to get there themselves. I've also broken out DDP yoga on rainy days. 

Work has been going pretty well, I think! I missed a day of work to catch up on sleep, but otherwise, things have gone swimmingly. I hope the trend continues!

I will check up on y'all in a bit. I hope you are doing well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessebel said:

The doggos are lovely. 

...and they look so genuinely happy. :) 

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

I'm glad to hear that you are getting outside and doing things you wanted to do.

22 hours ago, Jessebel said:

That's exciting! Do you practice any of the many ways as part of your training? I  had been doing kendo and ceramics, primarily. 

I do aikido and spinning. The aikido certainly ties in directly with zen. You would think that spinning would be perfect for zen, but it feels different. I get more of a practice feeling when I am cooking or doing chores.

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log