This is part two of a year that I am setting aside to try to heal from chronic exhaustion and demotivation. There are four aspects to lifestyle healing magic: food, stress, movement, and sleep. I'm adding a little to the basics which I established last challenge, and testing a specific diet to see if it helps.

Potions (food):
Do Not Ingest Poison: no sugar, caffeine, alcohol, refined carbs, industrial seed oils

(Ke)Tonics: eat a very low carb, very high fat diet. Leave out grains, legumes, starchy vegetables, low fat dairy, fruit, and honey. Focus on meat, fish, eggs, full fat dairy, above ground vegetables, and healthful fats.

Defence Against the Dark Arts (stress)

Occlumency: meditate 20 minutes daily, after first tea and before second tea

Hydrotherapy: end all showers with cold water

Defensive Gesture: book a massage and show up!

Defensive Ward: schedule daily internet block from 8-10am

Enspiriting Rune: one effortlessly bad and therapeutic scribble per day

Transfiguration (movement)

Barbellogy: continue with four lift split three days per week, if energy allows.

Ambulancy: at least one short walk daily

Charms (sleep)
Somnolence ritual: screens off at 9:15, stretch, sleep at 9:45

• Like 11
  • That's Metal 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Last challenge's basic healing protocol seemed to work well, though the last few days have seen a return of joint pain, sleep problems, and anxiety. I'm not sure what prompted it, though I note that I slipped up on the meditation for the last few days (but this coincided with and did not precede the return of symptoms). I was thinking about testing paleo, but I think it would be even harder than keto to give up dairy. I am just going to have to ignore all real or imagined judgement from my resident vegetarian moral & political philosopher and buy and eat meat and fish every day.  I am trying to make keto meals, but apparently I can go over the suggested net carbs just with vegetables. If you eat 300g in one meal, that's like 10 or 12. And then if you add dairy it's a few more. Might have to read dairy labels carefully because I was surprised by the amount in the sour cream. 5g per 50g! Also, there's sugar on my bacon! There's no way I'm wasting precious meat, but I'll get a different one next time.

In happy news, I love cream and bacon. I haven't had them for ages. Maybe this diet will be okay.

• Like 6

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

32 minutes ago, fearless 2.0 said:

welcome to keto world my sister! Its gonna be awesome!!! exited for what's gonna happen here! :)❤️

Thank you! I can but hope to see some of the promised benefits like ENERGYYYYY

Monday

Everything is going according to plan. I meditated, had a cold shower, and scribbled. Went for one short walk and will do another. I did my first keto shopping trip, and bought several kinds of dairy and the meat that looked freshest. I had bacon for the first time in... probably a year or two at least! I think the German "roastbeef" is the same as what, in Berkeley, was called a New York strip steak. I seared it and finished it in the oven. Roasted 300g of broccoli and tomato and a tiny bit of fresh chilli, chopped up fresh sage and mashed it into some butter.  MFP reckons I'm at 15 net carbs after lunch (mostly veg) and 84g/66% fat (mostly butter and cream). I'm tired, but that's the fault of the Friday massive 8 hour stress event and lack of sleep last night.

I rang the next doctor (the one the first doctor recommended for diagnosis and ... what's Beratung in English? Recommend?... damnit... advice!  advice) and left a message, and they called me back and said they have an appointment on Wednesday. I won't walk you through how anxiety provoking the entire process was or how many times I practiced what I was going to say in German, or how many times I called and hung up instead of leaving a message. Suffice it to say that anxiety is high, along with joint pain and fatigue.

Here is today's therapeutic scribble:

Spoiler

This image has been stolen by a brazen criminal mastermind, and is on display in her private gallery here.

Spoiler

Here is the forgery made to throw Interpol off the scent:

afeared rabbit sketch small.jpg

Is it okay to eat this much fat? Is it, though? Am I truly allowed to eat cream? Am I destroying the environment because I ate 200g of steak? Are you SURE I can have more butter? There can't be anything healthful about bacon. I know this because I enjoy it. This is wrong. Isn't it?

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. I always wondered what a physical education professor at hogwarts would be like.

Now I'm imagining Alan Thrall in robes, yelling at first years to NOT MOVE THE BAR while they mutter bitterly about squat day because they assumed their totally sedentary lifestyle (thanks to the conveniences of magic) could be undone by more magic. It can't. There's no cure but deadlifts.

• Like 2

I love that rabbit. It, and the whole composition, looks like it came from a children's  book about an adventurous rabbit.

Your food choices are fine. Your anxiety is trying to protect you from the belief that a period of enjoyment must be followed by a bad thing. If it makes you questio. Yourself and feel guilty, you will already have your defenses activated, and therefore be braced for The Bad Thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I love that rabbit. It, and the whole composition, looks like it came from a children's  book about an adventurous rabbit.

Thank you very much! 😊I'm happy to read that.

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Your food choices are fine. Your anxiety is trying to protect you from the belief that a period of enjoyment must be followed by a bad thing. If it makes you questio. Yourself and feel guilty, you will already have your defenses activated, and therefore be braced for The Bad Thing.

I should counteract this by expecting good things on top of good things! Like creme fraiche on top of cheddar, maybe I will enjoy excellent health on top of delicious foods!

• Like 1

Your challenges always look so beautiful. I hope you find your healing magic. ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

“If you're reading this, you must be in dire need of a change. The same thing happened to me, long ago. I'd lost sight of what mattered most in life... real connections with other people and nature. So I dropped everything and moved to the place I truly belong.”
— Grandpa's Letter from Stardew Valley

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

Current Challenge: Stardew Valley

55 minutes ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

Your challenges always look so beautiful. I hope you find your healing magic. ❤️ 

Thank you muchly! ❤️

• Like 1

I love the way you themed your challenge! I have been wanting to add a spells/magic element to my challenges to go along with my Bladesinger theme (because Bladesingers are wizards). I am more than a little tempted to steal some ideas from you for upcoming challenges.

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

44 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

I love the way you themed your challenge! I have been wanting to add a spells/magic element to my challenges to go along with my Bladesinger theme (because Bladesingers are wizards). I am more than a little tempted to steal some ideas from you for upcoming challenges.

Thank you! And please steal away! Remember that crime is fun, and international art crime in particular is easy and profitable! I learned this from @sarakingdom

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. I always wondered what a physical education professor at hogwarts would be like.

Is Rolanda Hooch a joke to you? Literally the Hogwarts physical education professor and team coach.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

40 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Thank you! And please steal away! Remember that crime is fun, and international art crime in particular is easy and profitable! I learned this from @sarakingdom

That chick has the best advice.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

52 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I did really love the book Steal Like an Artist...so I think you are definitely on to something there. Though if you give me permission to steal it, is it really stealing anymore? lol

• Like 1

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Thank you! And please steal away! Remember that crime is fun, and international art crime in particular is easy and profitable!

Speaking of which, it looks like you've been burgled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

Is Rolanda Hooch a joke to you? Literally the Hogwarts physical education professor and team coach.

giphy.gif

I'm prepared to accept she's the closest thing to phys ed we're gonna get.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm prepared to accept she's the closest thing to phys ed we're gonna get.

If anyone is making the team do core exercises to stay on their flying broomsticks, it's her. (And I can't imagine that doesn't take a lot of core work.)

• Like 3

Just now, sarakingdom said:

If anyone is making the team do core exercises to stay on their flying broomsticks, it's her. (And I can't imagine that doesn't take a lot of core work.)

I'm imagining a muggle born Team Captain finally explaining Quidditch to their jock parents, who convince them to add in a bunch of mundane, muggle exercises, conditioning, and drills to practice.

Then all that hard work pays off and word gets out, and wizards start infiltrating British Football Clubs to learn training secrets.

• Haha 1

Current Challenge

9 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I did really love the book Steal Like an Artist...so I think you are definitely on to something there. Though if you give me permission to steal it, is it really stealing anymore? lol

I'm going to pick that up right now. I always need amusing and helpful non-fiction reads. And no! Stealing with permission is mere borrowing.

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Speaking of which, it looks like you've been burgled.

You rascal! 😆

On the other hand... can I hire you to write my art concepts? I have no concepts, just pictures. But it's expected to have words about pictures. Ugh.

4 hours ago, Stronkey Kong said:

Following for Barbellology...

And also the usual general awesomeness.

Welcome and thank you!

2 hours ago, Jupiter said:

You always have such great challenge themes. Following. :) 

Thank you, possum!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

giphy.gif

Yeah I'd show up (even for lunges) if she were the trainer.

8 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I think they're going to need press and pull days for steering against the wind.

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm imagining a muggle born Team Captain finally explaining Quidditch to their jock parents, who convince them to add in a bunch of mundane, muggle exercises, conditioning, and drills to practice.

Then all that hard work pays off and word gets out, and wizards start infiltrating British Football Clubs to learn training secrets.

And then they import doping from the muggle sporting world, but they do it much, much better, and now we have monstrously athletic quidditch with superhuman skillz

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I'm going to pick that up right now. I always need amusing and helpful non-fiction reads. And no! Stealing with permission is mere borrowing.

Oh, you haven't read it? I thought your comment about art crime was partially in reference to that book, lol. But, it certainly is a good read as well, especially if you struggle with feeling like the things you create aren't "original enough". Definitely 10/10 recommend it for anyone who is interested in any creative pursuit whatsoever.

• Like 1