5 hours ago, annyshay said:

Good, I need some motivation and accountability with the decluttering. I'm still 0/0 with that one. 😕

What are your main Hope's for the declutter? Idk if you go on the full Konmari, but she brings up even if you don't know where your moving next the ideal life you hope for? 

I know that has helped me get started... am working on this week on getting laundry caught up and all my clothes a temporary home as I work on making space for my dresser that hasn't been moved.

• Like 2

Fresh Druid Graduate Lvl 0

"It’s not what we say is a priority, but what we actually DO that’s a priority.”

(Quote from J.D Roth/ @Steve's Article https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/priorities/)

On 9/23/2021 at 10:49 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Decluttering is something I really struggle with. I don't know if it's a side-effect of being force to leave most of my belongings behind when I moved to the US, but it is extremely difficult for me to get rid of things. The longer I have had them, the more difficult it becomes to get rid of it, and as a result, things accumulate in boxes and corners. 

Do you know what your struggle with decluttering is? Tackling the root cause might help you get started.

That makes so much sense, Scaly Freak.

I think I have similar side effects from when my parents divorced and we left with just a car full of belongings. My father threw everything else into the barn to rot. Didn't realize that that was still affecting me. Great question.

I think I'm also keeping things so that I have them "just in case".

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:14 PM, Fairly_Bouncer said:

What are your main Hope's for the declutter? Idk if you go on the full Konmari, but she brings up even if you don't know where your moving next the ideal life you hope for? 

I know that has helped me get started... am working on this week on getting laundry caught up and all my clothes a temporary home as I work on making space for my dresser that hasn't been moved.

Mostly I want to not feel like I have so much crap to take care of. I want to be lighter.  This move is starting over in a lot of ways, and I don't want to let me stuff drag me down. 

On 9/23/2021 at 1:59 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

I struggle against clutter as well, and am  here for moral support.

Thanks Snarky!

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

1 hour ago, annyshay said:

I think I'm also keeping things so that I have them "just in case".

Mostly I want to not feel like I have so much crap to take care of. I want to be lighter.  This move is starting over in a lot of ways, and I don't want to let me stuff drag me down. 

Interesting contradiction, and yes, I am in the same dilemma. :) 

What is your definition of "crap to take care of"? If you are keeping something just in case you need it later, does this something still count as crap? Or is there a difference between things that are crap, and things that could be useful down the line?

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

52 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Interesting contradiction, and yes, I am in the same dilemma. :) 

What is your definition of "crap to take care of"? If you are keeping something just in case you need it later, does this something still count as crap? Or is there a difference between things that are crap, and things that could be useful down the line?

Yeah. Those parts of my brain don't talk to each other rationally, lol.

I think "crap to take care of" is all the stuff that I keep in storage and don't actually use. Figuring out what would be useful down the line is probably the cognitive load that I'm avoiding doing hehe.

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

31 minutes ago, annyshay said:

Figuring out what would be useful down the line is probably the cognitive load that I'm avoiding doing hehe.

I mean, isn't that the hardest part in decluttering? Actually moving an item from point A to Point B isn't really that hard. Deciding what to do with each and every item is the part that drags you down. 

3 hours ago, annyshay said:

I think I have similar side effects from when my parents divorced and we left with just a car full of belongings. My father threw everything else into the barn to rot. Didn't realize that that was still affecting me.

It's wild how much mental health connections we as humans have with stuff. Like from one extreme to another and every sliding scale in between, we form these emotional bonds and identities around items or the concept of items. I find that so odd? but interesting. 

Glad to see that you're connecting some dots though. That's really hard work. 

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

5 hours ago, annyshay said:

I think "crap to take care of" is all the stuff that I keep in storage and don't actually use. Figuring out what would be useful down the line is probably the cognitive load that I'm avoiding doing hehe.

FWIW, and I know this isn't the main issue at play, you can probably afford to buy new anything in storage you might get rid of if the need ever does arise. One of the hardest things for our lizard brains to learn when we get into a better situation is that we don't need the coping skills we learned in a worse situation. That cognitive thought alone is not enough to "solve" the problem, but I hope it helps on reframing the issue as a trauma response.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

38 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

FWIW, and I know this isn't the main issue at play, you can probably afford to but new anything in storage you might get rid of if the need ever does arise. One of the hardest things for our lizard brains to learn when we get into a better situation is that we don't need the coping skills we learned in a worse situation. That cognitive thought alone is not enough to "solve" the problem, but I hope it helps on reframing the issue as a trauma response.

And just wanted to continue this thought as I found myself yesterday.. When one keeps using "coping skills" it was something that did help you survive (some mighty good strong armor)! No matter how dumb it looks... 

The question that pops in my head is, is there anything you want to make sure you bring to your new life that you can put aside/pack up for the next step?  Instead of worrying about what "crap to throw away" what about the "tools/treasure/items you know you want part of your life?"

Also just feel you if it takes too much energy, I'm realizing putting away my clothes is like a complex puzzle since I don't have my room setup in a way I like... 
Excuse me as I try to figure out how to put my clothes away (taking new memory than I thought...)

• Like 3

"It’s not what we say is a priority, but what we actually DO that’s a priority.”

(Quote from J.D Roth/ @Steve's Article https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/priorities/)

Folks, I started!

So you've done the most difficult part. ;) 

Good job on the food decluttering! 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

6 hours ago, annyshay said:

Folks, I started!

I completely emptied my freezer and took four bags of frozen food to the food bank. I threw out two garbage bags. I'm working on my hallway closet now.

despicable me dancing GIF

Whoot whoot!