Body by Bach Volume 1: Party Like It's 1725 [KeysMcGee]

KeysMcGee

21 hours ago, KeysMcGee said:

1 am bedtimes are not sustainable long term.

This has been my mantra as well the last few days because I have once again learned the hard way that too many 1am bedtimes in a short period does not end well 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

33 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

This has been my mantra as well the last few days because I have once again learned the hard way that too many 1am bedtimes in a short period does not end well 

Turns out that only some of my fatigue yesterday was attributable to that. Apparently, when I wrote that, I was on my way to being Sick-as-all-HellTM yesterday and that was just the first manifestation of it.

Although 1 am bedtimes might contribute to a weakened immune system and...

Anyway, I'm feeling better this morning, but I'm gonna be taking it slow for a little while.

• Like 1

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"The older I get, the more I understand that the only way to say valuable things is to lose your fear of being correct." -Malcolm Gladwell

And getting back into the Sprint Daily Stand Up game. Here's the update for 9/17.

What I did yesterday: Rested and recuperated from being sick.

What I'm working on today

-Getting caught up on lost time from the last couple of days.

-Starting Strength A day workout (I think?).

-BWV 113 hands separate practice just to check in on where I left off with that.

-Still looking for good trill practice routines.

What are my impediments:

-Being sick the last couple of days has thrown off my schedule a little bit.

-I'm having a hard time playing trills from the wrist instead of from the fingers. Basically, I want the rotation of my wrist to be what pushes the key down as opposed to physically moving my finger down. This will allow me to play trills faster and more fluidly (and for longer periods of time without getting cramped up). I might start with just two-note slurs up and down until I can get to where I can bounce them quickly and evenly.

• Like 1

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"The older I get, the more I understand that the only way to say valuable things is to lose your fear of being correct." -Malcolm Gladwell

Probably a good a time as any for a look back over the previous week.

Considering that I got a little sick halfway through, I think I did about as well as expected. The main thing was that I stayed consistent with my Starting Strength workouts (and switching to the Starting Strength model has been a huge help as well as I'm still getting my lifts in, but I'm not chewing up a full hour and a half doing it). 

Taking the challenge on a week by week basis is super helpful as well. When I have an off week like the last one (or when I fail to adequately spend my time planning for the next week), it doesn't throw the whole challenge in jeopardy. It's kind of like segmenting a network. Even if one chunk of the challenge gets compromised, the rest of it can still function.

Work seems to be calming down now that we've gotten some of the summer reports wrapped up (and the rest are on their way to being done), and that means more attention devoted to learning my craft and less to doing the work. Financially, I'm still stressed about money, but that's pretty much always going to be the case for a while until our cash flow situation improves. We now have more coming in than going out, so that's a bonus. Still never feels like quite enough, though.

On the piano front, I ordered a mount for my cell phone so that I can video myself playing. Should be arriving in a few days. My new Tansman book also arrived, and I've got another one coming any day now. I'm fully immersed in the world of Bach and am learning much more technically demanding moves such as trills and the like.

In the meantime, I think I might do a little cooking tonight. I need to step up my vegetable and side dish game, so I might dive into one of my thousands of cookbooks to find a good, simple side dish or two that I can work on. 

• Like 1

That's pretty darn good for having been sick.  I hope this week is even better

• Like 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That's pretty darn good for having been sick.  I hope this week is even better

Thanks. I'm sure it will be, especially since things are starting to calm down on the work front.

• Like 1

Okay. Plan for the week ahead (9/19 to 9/25). Here we go.

First, exercise. Starting Strength routines on Today, on Tuesday, and on Thursday. I'll not bother with whether we're on an A day or B day because my exercise log is all the way in the garage, it's raining out, and I mean, really, who the hell cares? On these three days, heavy objects will be in motion. Sometimes they will move upward starting at my chest. Sometimes they will move upward from the ground. So on.

The objective is to do the thing on each of these three days.

Second, sleep. I'm getting into this nasty habit where I keep craving more more more (more* on that later [pun intended** {intend all puns}]).  The general thrust (and if you've seen my challenges before, you know that this is a recurring theme for me) is that I keep trying to cram more stuff into my brain than is reasonable, and it causes me to (a) flit back and forth between various pursuits (piano, coding, gaming, reading history, even flirted with woodworking once, cooking, etc) and (b) it causes me to stay up insanely late trying to cram 26 hours of stuff into a 24 hour day. (c) As a result, I wake up later, feel more groggy, get less accomplished, and more or less continually undermine my attempts at success via my persistent attempts at succeeding. Got it?

The objective here is to go to bed each day before midnight. Not fall asleep. Just get my butt in the bed before midnight. 

Third, piano. This fell by the wayside last week. I took feints and jabs at BWV 113, but I can't really say that I worked it up to my goal speed. Ergo, the objective for this week is to get BWV 113 up to 50 bpm with both hands.

And that covers it.

*One nice thing about getting sick is that you can't really do much else aside from reflect. For me, this meant realizing that at least part of this drive for more more more probably comes from not being thankful for what I already have. I noticed this as I was typing out my last post yesterday and got into a long paragraph griping about how hard it is being broke and how not having enough money has always been a barrier for me growing up yada yada yada. I get into this headspace where I feel like I'm having to make up for what's missing or making up for lost time. It's a little bit of "comparing mind" at play combined with just not recognizing how much I really have at my disposal. (Case in point-as I was typing a post griping about how little money I have, I was in the process of buying yet another music book online, so...).

I spend way too much time fixating on my barriers and not nearly enough time thinking about how far I've come and what I have. That said, let's go ahead and add a fourth goal.

So, fourth...Each day as a part of my updates, I will name something that I'm grateful for. It sounds a little cheesy, sure, but the point is to begin redirecting my attention away from what I don't have back to what I do have. 

The objective is to reflect on and celebrate one boon for each day.

• Like 1

Threw some cash at two rocking chairs today. Healthiest decision I've made since I decided to give up alcohol for the year (still going strong with that, btw). Since we moved into this house, we've had all manner of chairs on that front porch of ours. None of them have been proper rocking chairs, though, so I haven't gotten around to spending a lot of time out there. Today, I corrected that. 

I learned back, back before my huge career change, that "porch sittin'" is an essential part of my mental health just as it's an essential part of my culture. That's probably one reason why I've been so frantic. Not enough time on the front porch.

That has now been corrected.

• Like 1

Update from yesterday. 

I did get in bed before midnight (11:20 to be specific). Now, I ended up listening to history lectures until 12:01, but still. I win this one on a technicality. Did not do my lifts. Decided to move them to today. Didn't really get much piano work in, either.

Plan for today.

No meetings today, so work is going to be mostly planning and learning. This tends to be tough for me since these days are pretty free form, and it's hard for me to prioritize. I'm going back to a GTD mindset and will be working on the toughest, meanest project I have hanging around and then go down from there. 

I have also divided BWV 113 into 8 sections (A-H) and will be working on G - H today to see how far off I am from my goal of both hands at 50 bpm.

Also lifts. Not skipping today. I promise. 

And in bed before midnight. Yeah, yeah.

As for reflecting and celebrating a boon-I'm choosing "porch sittin'" again. Snapping up those rocking chairs was a game-changer and well worth the investment. It's kind of turning into the antidote to all of my frantic running around jamming stuff into my brain. Stuff just feels simpler when I'm sitting on the porch in those rocking chairs watching the rain, and at that point, I don't feel like I really need to do much besides do my day's work, keep my body healthy, eat a nice meal, hang out on the porch, and go to bed when bedtime rolls around. If I want to do extra stuff like learn piano, learn to code, yada yada, I can, sure, but I don't feel that drive like I have to learn all the things right now or awful things will happen

So, to make it nice and neat, here's the checklist for the day (plus a few other ancillary things that need doing):

-Full day's worth of work.

-Try on suit for wedding this weekend (almost forgot about that).

-Lift weights.

-Test speed on BWV 113 G-H.

-Update the budget.

-Clean out cat litter box.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KeysMcGee said:

Also lifts. Not skipping today. I promise. 

This was ten hours ago... what did you lift? :) 

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34

25 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

This was ten hours ago... what did you lift? :) 

A barbell, couple of plates, plate clamps. Also a box handed to me by the Amazon driver, but we needn't count that as part of the workout proper.

Or, applying a less literal interpretation ;), I lifted this:

Squat-45X5X2; 95X2X1; 115X5X3.

Bench-45X5X2; 70X5X3;

Deadlift-115X5X2; 125X5X1.

• Like 2

And almost added several boxes of luxury vinyl flooring panels to those lifts as well, but decided against going to the big orange store as weather today has been mostly wet, and I'm too lazy to bother with tarping anything in the back of my truck atm.

Piano practice sesh done for the night. Yeah, it's not the hours and hours of practice each day touted by some in the piano world (those whose logic holds that each day has 24 hours, which means if you squeeze hard enough, you can still manage to sneak in a solid 26 hours of daily practice time), but it did the job, and I ended practice wanting to play more as opposed to bored, confused, or frustrated. And I got that small piece up to my goal speed of 50 bpm with hands together (which is just fast enough to be challenging while still slow enough that I can relax into it).

Sections D-F tomorrow.

• Like 1

Plan for 9/21.

1. Made it to bed at around 10:45 last night and listened to Harry Potter for about 30 minutes which puts me at actually trying to sleep at around 11:15.

2.  Also, as an update, still no alcohol. That puts me at just over 8.5 months.

3. No lifts today.

4. Need to update budget, put in a full day's work, yada yada.

5. Test my speed on BWV 113 D-F.

6. Now that my cell phone mount has arrived, I'm going to assemble and test it with "Both Ways" out of the Tansman book.

And that about covers it.

• Like 2

Plan for 9/23 and the next couple of days.

First an update from yesterday.

Got my lifts done. 

Squat-45X5X2; 95X2X1; 120X5X3.

OHP-45X5X2; 55X5X3;

Deadlift-115X5X2; 130X5X1.

Did a couple of passes over section D-F in BWF 113, but discovered that I had a hard time getting this part up to speed, so I'mma stick with this section again.

Didn't really get around to much else as the day got a little busy (wife and I went to go watch our nephew and niece while their parents went on an anniversary date night).

As for today, it's gonna be work and traveling as I'm headed to Charleston for a wedding. Not sure when I'll be getting back. Saturday I think?  Anyway, whenever that is is when I'll pick the challenge back up.

• Like 1

Quick update now that I'm back from the wedding trip.

My upper back and neck muscles got all knotted up to the point where my wife had to drive us home. Based on some armchair research that I've since done, I think I've identified a few culprits:

1. Way too much computer time.

2. Not enough water.

3. Not properly cooling down after the lifts.

4. Not enough attention to flexibility.

So this week, I'm putting the stronglifts on hold until I get this cramp sorted out (which has been ongoing for a couple of weeks now, but only really got nasty this past Saturday.) 

I'll nail down something more structured later, but for now, the main thing I'm committing to is no video games for the rest of the week.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KeysMcGee said:

So this week, I'm putting the stronglifts on hold until I get this cramp sorted out (which has been ongoing for a couple of weeks now, but only really got nasty this past Saturday.) 

That seems wise. Injuries are nothing to mess with. Cramps are so painful, so sorry this is attacking you!

• Like 1

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

7 hours ago, noahimmanual18 said:

you can do any exercise when your body is fit and healthy but...

Not meaning any disrespect, but this smells like a phishing link.

1 hour ago, KeysMcGee said:

Not meaning any disrespect, but this smells like a phishing link.

Not only is it a phishing link... by quoting it like that, you're actually making it more difficult for the moderators to find and remove all traces of it. Reporting the original post doesn't tell the mods that someone has quoted it,  so they don't know that the quote exists and needs to be removed from your post. Better to report it and leave it alone. Or if you want to quote it, remove the URL first.

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34

4 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Not only is it a phishing link... by quoting it like that, you're actually making it more difficult for the moderators to find and remove all traces of it. Reporting the original post doesn't tell the mods that someone has quoted it,  so they don't know that the quote exists and needs to be removed from your post. Better to report it and leave it alone. Or if you want to quote it, remove the URL first.

Thanks for the heads up. I've edited the link out of the quoted post. Sorry about that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KeysMcGee said:

Thanks for the heads up. I've edited the link out of the quoted post. Sorry about that.

I used to do the same thing until someone pointed it out to me. And the way I see it, we all want the spam bots to go away, right... ;)  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I used to do the same thing until someone pointed it out to me. And the way I see it, we all want the spam bots to go away, right... ;)  

I work on the fringes of the IT / cybersecurity space, so on the one hand, they give me job security. On the other, let's just say that "go away" is putting it nicely.

• Like 2

9/28.

So, abstaining from video games last night didn't go according to plan. Had lots of angry feels, lots of sad feels, lots of anxiety feels, and chose to hole myself up in Valheim for a few hours instead of working on those feels. 

No alcohol though, so there's that.

Shoulder / neck still aches. I feel it mostly in my left shoulder / upper arm. Considering just starting the Starting Strength program from scratch on all lifts, particularly since I wasn't very systematic on what my starting weight to lift was. It all seemed very haphazard (ehhh...how much should I start squats on? 95 pounds? Sure, go with that), and I suspect that may have contributed to my issues. At least, it didn't help matters.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KeysMcGee said:

Shoulder / neck still aches. I feel it mostly in my left shoulder / upper arm. Considering just starting the Starting Strength program from scratch on all lifts, particularly since I wasn't very systematic on what my starting weight to lift was. It all seemed very haphazard (ehhh...how much should I start squats on? 95 pounds? Sure, go with that), and I suspect that may have contributed to my issues. At least, it didn't help matters.

I was frustrated by how difficult it was to find a good starting weight, when starting over with lifting a few weeks ago. I ended up starting with just the bar for everything except the deadlift, and focus hard on getting back to correct learning form. Now the weight is a challenge for me again, but my form is awesome! :) 

How is the shoulder/neck doing?

Level 2 Ninja