23 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Rex is killing me today. He forgot his activity bag at home so I ran it up to school. Then it turns out he left his lunch in Jessie’s van. I’d say forget it and buy but those private school lunches cost about the same as a meal out at a sit down restaurant. So I guess I’m running that up too. 

Edit: Jessie’s aunt is close by so she’s able to take care of the lunch. I made a new one, nothing in his existing one is spoilable and it’s in a cooler bag anyway, so he’ll just have today’s lunch tomorrow and use his backup lunch box. 

Kids are a never ending series of surprises 😂 

Omg that is so frustrating.  But he will bear the consequence when you ask him everyday if he has his stuff!

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Omg that is so frustrating.  But he will bear the consequence when you ask him everyday if he has his stuff!

It is but c’est la vie. He already gets asked a bunch if he has his stuff 😂 He’s a great kid though. This morning he spent 25 minutes telling me about how he’s going to master every job in the bakery. And I believe him. 

In other news, yesterday afternoon some awful news broke in our area. Horrible news about a predator at Jessie’s school. It gets worse, as we later discovered 2 of the victims were in Jessie’s class and called out of it. She is devastated. Kudos to those ladies who conspired to obtain evidence and take that garbage human down.  

I am doing my best to be supportive and present. And I made her several pounds of pickles today. I am so sad for her. I feel like I dropped the ball last night; so many bad/scary  things have happened already this school year that I don’t think it really hit me (or her either) how much bigger this feels. 

We have big things happening today and next week. Things that deserve celebrating. And we will, I am sure. But that’s again, the thing that I never understood as a kid. Bullet point accomplishments, even big ones, can happen in between tragedy, disappointment, and death. I love her and hope they don’t somehow connect in a bad way.  And that she is able to process this and that I am able to be there for her in a meaningful and helpful way. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

15 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

In other news, yesterday afternoon some awful news broke in our area. Horrible news about a predator at Jessie’s school. It gets worse, as we later discovered 2 of the victims were in Jessie’s class and called out of it. She is devastated. Kudos to those ladies who conspired to obtain evidence and take that garbage human down.  

I am doing my best to be supportive and present. And I made her several pounds of pickles today. I am so sad for her. I feel like I dropped the ball last night; so many bad/scary  things have happened already this school year that I don’t think it really hit me (or her either) how much bigger this feels. 

We have big things happening today and next week. Things that deserve celebrating. And we will, I am sure. But that’s again, the thing that I never understood as a kid. Bullet point accomplishments, even big ones, can happen in between tragedy, disappointment, and death. I love her and hope they don’t somehow connect in a bad way.  And that she is able to process this and that I am able to be there for her in a meaningful and helpful way. 

Oh that's terrible, I'm so sorry. I hope there is healing for all involved.

• Like 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19#20#21#22#23#24Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 20212022

37 minutes ago, Ranger Hal said:

Oh that's terrible, I'm so sorry. I hope there is healing for all involved.

Thanks. Me too. 

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

On 9/10/2021 at 10:37 PM, Sciread77 said:

It’s been super nice.  I love cooking. But I hate meal planning. 

I will say this, the categories that I have to eat made meal planning WAY frigging easier for me.  Since I know how much I'm eating, I also know how much food I'm buying when I shop which has lead to less spastic shopping.  Like I can say to myself, "Ok I'll need 3 pounds of meat, 3 vegetables, 1 can of oats, 1 carton of almond milk, etc" and then I'm good as gold.

I will be sure to establish a good relationship with the new neighbors who move in. 

Random Acts of Kindness: Take a Meal to Your Friend/Neighbor

Got a specialty to give?  Do people still, like, have housewarming neighbor shit these days?  Or was that something people did in the 90s, back when people stopped by and enjoyed some SANKA?

Gods, that is still a traumatic memory for me and I was just a Midwestern high school student at the time.

So I was in history class in highschool when it happened.  My teacher told us all to grab a piece of paper and write about what was happening when he grabbed the tv-on-a-wheely-thingy and he collected the papers.  This guy has some 30-odd kid's reactions of when it was happening. 

On 9/11/2021 at 6:09 PM, Sciread77 said:

cottage bakery

Fuck yeah

On 9/14/2021 at 2:05 PM, Sciread77 said:

manually fertilized 3 female pumpkin

Thinking GIF - Futurama Fry Eye - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

I am so sorry that you and your wife are going through this. That sounds so disconcerting. I know this has been a long and rough year for your wife with her workplace, and I am hoping that things improve.

• Thanks 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

3 hours ago, Teros said:

I will say this, the categories that I have to eat made meal planning WAY frigging easier for me.  Since I know how much I'm eating, I also know how much food I'm buying when I shop which has lead to less spastic shopping.  Like I can say to myself, "Ok I'll need 3 pounds of meat, 3 vegetables, 1 can of oats, 1 carton of almond milk, etc" and then I'm good as gold.

Similar story with starting keto really. But it’s one of those things that still sucks my mental energy. 

3 hours ago, Teros said:

Random Acts of Kindness: Take a Meal to Your Friend/Neighbor

Got a specialty to give?  Do people still, like, have housewarming neighbor shit these days?  Or was that something people did in the 90s, back when people stopped by and enjoyed some SANKA?

Cheesecake, pie, pretzels… not entirely sure what the standard is but they’re getting pretzels and probably a cheesecake. 

3 hours ago, Teros said:

So I was in history class in highschool when it happened.  My teacher told us all to grab a piece of paper and write about what was happening when he grabbed the tv-on-a-wheely-thingy and he collected the papers.  This guy has some 30-odd kid's reactions of when it was happening. 

That must be a heck of a thing to have. 

3 hours ago, Teros said:

Fuck yeah

It’s going full commercial with a professional kitchen space next week. 

3 hours ago, Teros said:

Thinking GIF - Futurama Fry Eye - Discover & Share GIFs

07ECBBA1-B682-4FEC-AC7B-909F9A2D29E5.gif

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Omg that is not okay. I am really sorry for your wife and students. That’s definitely a horror that takes a minute to seep into the system for processing. I wish you both and the students healing. 

2 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I am so sorry that you and your wife are going through this. That sounds so disconcerting. I know this has been a long and rough year for your wife with her workplace, and I am hoping that things improve.

Thanks. It’s definitely her more than me; my issue is being strongly empathetic and feeling things hard while she and they are struggling with some real firsthand trauma. It’s one of those things where she is ranging from extreme sadness to rage, and I don’t blame her a bit. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Thanks. It’s definitely her more than me; my issue is being strongly empathetic and feeling things hard while she and they are struggling with some real firsthand trauma. It’s one of those things where she is ranging from extreme sadness to rage, and I don’t blame her a bit. 

I'm so sorry that you guys are having to deal with this. What an awful situation. 

• Thanks 1

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

14 hours ago, Happienumber said:

I'm so sorry that you guys are having to deal with this. What an awful situation. 

Thanks. The library is offering a seminar on providing support for survivors. Not directly related but I signed up it. 

Spoiler

On a lighter note, I kebabed myself. Skewered myself. 

One of Jessie’s  embroidery needles went missing, and I found it. The thing ended up in a pillow. I went to sit down in the couch, which is pretty low for a couch. As usually, I folded my left leg up and put my knee on the couch to make it easier to go down. I happened to place it in such a way that the needle went into the knee, fortunately in a pretty shallow way, went through an inch of skin, and exited. I had to get a pretty good grip to remove it, and it hurt 😂 

We all laughed, more out of surprise than anything. Then Woody told me a story about how the same thing happened to him and it wasn’t that bad 😂. It’s extra funny because 2 days ago Rex tried to tell Jessie he was the only one who got mosquito bites (everyone but me gets them bad; he and Jessie both get a lot and have big reactions to them). 

I’m up to date on my shots and it doesn’t seem to be anything other than skin but I’m gonna keep an eye on it and go easy on legs for a bit. 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 2

Spoiler

On 9/18/2021 at 3:45 PM, Sciread77 said:

On a lighter note, I kebabed myself. Skewered myself. 

One of Jessie’s  embroidery needles went missing, and I found it. The thing ended up in a pillow. I went to sit down in the couch, which is pretty low for a couch. As usually, I folded my left leg up and put my knee on the couch to make it easier to go down. I happened to place it in such a way that the needle went into the knee, fortunately in a pretty shallow way, went through an inch of skin, and exited. I had to get a pretty good grip to remove it, and it hurt 😂 

We all laughed, more out of surprise than anything. Then Woody told me a story about how the same thing happened to him and it wasn’t that bad 😂. It’s extra funny because 2 days ago Rex tried to tell Jessie he was the only one who got mosquito bites (everyone but me gets them bad; he and Jessie both get a lot and have big reactions to them). 

I’m up to date on my shots and it doesn’t seem to be anything other than skin but I’m gonna keep an eye on it and go easy on legs for a bit. 

Oof. That is painful just to think about. I am glad it wasn't too serious of an injury and that you were all able to laugh about it. I don't know if I would be laughing after an embroidery needle made it into my knee. I do love that your kids chipped in with "yeah, been there, done that. You are gonna be fine" lol

• Like 1

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

3 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

Oof. That is painful just to think about. I am glad it wasn't too serious of an injury and that you were all able to laugh about it. I don't know if I would be laughing after an embroidery needle made it into my knee. I do love that your kids chipped in with "yeah, been there, done that. You are gonna be fine" lol

Yeah 🤣 It seems to be ok.  It hurt a surprisingly large amount for a flesh wound 😂 The biggest concerns, fortunately, seem to not be the case. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

Yeah 🤣 It seems to be ok.  It hurt a surprisingly large amount for a flesh wound 😂 The biggest concerns, fortunately, seem to not be the case. 

It's just a flesh wound Memes

Sorry, I had to; I could not resist 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aquarii said:

It's just a flesh wound Memes

Sorry, I had to; I could not resist 🤣

I’ve had worse. 

34 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

OWWWW. 

embroidery needles hurt. and depending on the thickness too. owwwwwww

OWWWWWWWWWWw

It was one of the thick ones 😂 

34 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Yeah, I say you should take it easy and every so often announce you were stabbed. :) 

I definitely would except that I have a lot on my plate this week. So I’m moving to body weight leg stuff only for the time being, until I can fully confirm nothing wacky is going on. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Me: *describes everything I liked, was into, the people I hung with, and the scene I hung on in high school and college*
Jessie: Again, how were you not a stoner?!

Me: (who had never smoken the Marijuana) *shrugs*

• Haha 1

Spoiler

So we’ve officially owned a bakery for about 12 hours and we’ve already baked an adult human’s weight in pretzels. 

I’ll make a bigger, more detailed post at another time. Business is brisk and Bo Peep’s birthday is Saturday so I’m planning to just hit it as hard as possible over the next few days. There’s a lot of operational and financial kinks to work out before expanding, because this is definitely intended as both a financial change and a lifestyle change and the previous owner basically lived there. 

Still, it’s feeling very good. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • That's Metal 2

Spoiler

16 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

WOW. I have always wondered about what owning a bakery would be like! I am so excited for you!!!

Thanks! So far, it’s been an overwhelming amount of work. The seller was… behind. She’s great. But way behind and her current setup makes it virtually impossible to get too far ahead; I took almost the full freezer capacity today in deliveries then came back and made almost as many as I did all day yesterday to take first thing in the morning. 

I think the way this ends up successful is we get a lot more freezer space and hire part time help for the weekends to fill up that capacity and slowly continue to bake and replace as the week goes on.

All that said, the work is fun. The biggest drawback is it’s long. I’m glad sales spiked but it also a really high amount of product to make. Pretzels are easy, sure, but the volume is staggering for one person. The work as it is is too time consuming for me, with a family, to simply power through. I need a team beyond just us owners to make this work.  

• Like 3

Spoiler

23 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Thanks! So far, it’s been an overwhelming amount of work. The seller was… behind. She’s great. But way behind and her current setup makes it virtually impossible to get too far ahead; I took almost the full freezer capacity today in deliveries then came back and made almost as many as I did all day yesterday to take first thing in the morning. 

I think the way this ends up successful is we get a lot more freezer space and hire part time help for the weekends to fill up that capacity and slowly continue to bake and replace as the week goes on.

All that said, the work is fun. The biggest drawback is it’s long. I’m glad sales spiked but it also a really high amount of product to make. Pretzels are easy, sure, but the volume is staggering for one person. The work as it is is too time consuming for me, with a family, to simply power through. I need a team beyond just us owners to make this work.  

I agree with everything you said!  Getting part time help will be great. Do you have any other stars on the menu in addition to the pretzels?

7 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I agree with everything you said!  Getting part time help will be great. Do you have any other stars on the menu in addition to the pretzels?

It will be extremely helpful as well getting on top of things. It’s partly worse because we have Bo Peep’s birthday party Saturday and since we’ve been slammed we’ve not prepped the house or yard at all. We have someone who will be able to start in two weeks part time and another who wants to go full time when we can offer benefits (which we don’t yet because we haven’t set them up for ourselves through the business either). Until then, my parents volunteered to help and it’s really been great. 1. Working with my dad is fun. 2. He and the previous owner are hilarious together. 3. It’s taking a lot of pressure off of me. 

The other things currently on the menu are regular pretzels and pretzel dogs. We’re looking to expand the menu when we catch up on the wholesale. As it is we’ve largely closed to the public all week to get on top of this backlog. We won’t have what we hope to be our signature food ready for some time and it won’t be possible to make until we complete the remodel. 

As it is, with buying the additional freezer I’m concerned about where to put my stove. We’ll figure it out. Jessie is brilliant at layouts. 

This post is brought to you by meetings whose organizers are late no-call no-show and a delivery guy who blocked in for about 20 minutes. 

I will say that this business is making my butt sore. To keep my back from dying I have been squatting with trays. So that’s a good thing. A f my body ge really feels better than it does after spending any given day in an office. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

It will be extremely helpful as well getting on top of things. It’s partly worse because we have Bo Peep’s birthday party Saturday and since we’ve been slammed we’ve not prepped the house or yard at all. We have someone who will be able to start in two weeks part time and another who wants to go full time when we can offer benefits (which we don’t yet because we haven’t set them up for ourselves through the business either). Until then, my parents volunteered to help and it’s really been great. 1. Working with my dad is fun. 2. He and the previous owner are hilarious together. 3. It’s taking a lot of pressure off of me. 

The other things currently on the menu are regular pretzels and pretzel dogs. We’re looking to expand the menu when we catch up on the wholesale. As it is we’ve largely closed to the public all week to get on top of this backlog. We won’t have what we hope to be our signature food ready for some time and it won’t be possible to make until we complete the remodel. 

As it is, with buying the additional freezer I’m concerned about where to put my stove. We’ll figure it out. Jessie is brilliant at layouts. 

This post is brought to you by meetings whose organizers are late no-call no-show and a delivery guy who blocked in for about 20 minutes. 

I will say that this business is making my butt sore. To keep my back from dying I have been squatting with trays. So that’s a good thing. A f my body ge really feels better than it does after spending any given day in an office. 

I love this! I am so excited for you!

• Thanks 1