NGL, I don't even know what number reboot this is, whether you mean challenges, goals, fitness, whatever. Anyhow, here goes:

Short recap: at the beginning of the year, my old job of 7 years announced they were selling out. I got hella lucky and landed a job a month later but it required in-person training far from home. I've been living out of a hotel for the past couple months, got home this past weekend, and hit the office for the first time today, only to discover that it's not quite what I expected from training. Not bad, but I haven't really grasped what my part in all of it is. To summarize, then, this challenge is focused on 1) recovering physically, mentally, and stuff-ily from being gone so long, 2) figuring out the new job and how much mental space I'll have left at the end of the day to pursue hobbies, and 3) re-starting workouts which only kinda sorta happened during training, due to several things beyond my control. So... goals:

• Exercise: 3 weightlifting days, 3 cardio days, 0 injury days. Build back up intelligently.
  • Work: Give it time, see what happens. 
  • House stuff:
    • Recover the backyard from months of neglect (already put in 6-7 hours and I'm maybe half done)
    • PURGE, BABY! Go through 2 rooms and basically konmarie every single item. Goal is the whole house by... idk, 2023?
    • Quality, not quantity: If there's something I truly use and delight in, make sure I have a good one. This will also take some time. 
  • Mental: Find and learn 2 new "end of day" routine songs. 

Not looking to go nuts this time around- the focus is definitely on settling in at work, becoming a productive member of the team, and re-starting the exercise habit. The other things are nice goals but not priority. Overall flavor this time is just "get back to it." 

• Like 9
  • That's Metal 1

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Having just done battle with a yard myself, at least the visual impact is nice! :)  (before and after pictures of a yard somehow always seems more impressive than the inside of a house, man vs. nature or somesuch, I suppose).  The flowers did look lovely before-- are they still under there somewhere or will you have to replant?

Here's hoping the new job settles in quick!

• Haha 1

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

11 hours ago, Manarelle said:

by... idk, 2023?

Sounds Legit GIF | Gfycat

Here for as many reboots as it takes

• Haha 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 9/7/2021 at 8:46 PM, UnquietBones said:

Having just done battle with a yard myself, at least the visual impact is nice! :)  (before and after pictures of a yard somehow always seems more impressive than the inside of a house, man vs. nature or somesuch, I suppose).  The flowers did look lovely before-- are they still under there somewhere or will you have to replant?

Here's hoping the new job settles in quick!

Thank you! The flowers (and two blueberry plants) are still under there, although one is definitely past blooming time. I'm debating digging up the asparagus and planting another low-maintenance shrub that doesn't threaten the walkway for 7 months out of the year, but that's a decision for fall. Cleaning up outside is very much a man vs nature struggle; it seems less existential than man s entropy of the self when cleaning indoors. 

23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Here for the Back Again of your There and Back Again journey.

19 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Welcome home! :D

That's one way to make coming home sound badass, and thank you! :) I was freaking knackered for workout today, couldn't figure out why until the gentleman reminded me that I'd been in survival mode for a very long time. Come on, body (and brain), I've got goals to reach, there's no time for that whole "recovery" nonsense!

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Sounds Legit GIF | Gfycat

Here for as many reboots as it takes

Haha, thanks. "We" (the gentleman) have a lot of stuff, and 2022 is like, right around the corner already... 

Day 2 of work went better, in that I'm getting an idea of what is expected of me. It helped that they announced at least part of those expectations at a team meeting, so yay for learning that out in the open. Still, everyone seems nice and I've completely missed the time when I'm supposed to go home both days now, so I think it'll be ok. 

• Like 8

On 9/9/2021 at 3:04 AM, Manarelle said:

so I think it'll be ok

:) 

On 9/8/2021 at 2:31 AM, Manarelle said:
  • PURGE, BABY! Go through 2 rooms and basically konmarie every single item. Goal is the whole house by... idk, 2023?

sounds realistic.

• Haha 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Week 0: 

• Exercise: 3 lifting, 2 cardio. I'll take it. 
  • Work: Today was better. 
  • House stuff:
    • Backyard: No.
    • PURGE, BABY! Yes. 
    • Quality, not quantity: Yes.
  • Mental/ new songs: No. 

I missed one day of walking, which is acceptable. Restarted weights and while it feels pathetic compared to pre-pandemic, one of my friends hit me with some reality check. Definitely have goals to improve, but I'm doing ok. Work is getting better, as expected. I'm finding the people and resources I need to learn and do the job, so I'm just being patient there. Listened to more music this weekend than I have in a loooooong time, even if it was all stuff I already know fairly well, and sang myself hoarse on a car ride. 

Weekend was a bit chaotic: Saturday was a back-to-baking day, with apple crisp, blueberry muffins, and a double batch of chocolate chip cookies. Pretty much all of Sunday was driving back to the training site and sharing almost all of that with a couple of the trainees who haven't graduated yet - because I wanted an excuse to bake, I enjoy hanging out with them, and I'm aware of how much eating cafeteria food for that long absolutely sucks. The ride out was nice and easy first thing in the morning; the ride back was horrendous, and I got home with enough time to fold laundry and make tuna salad for this week's lunches. No vacuuming, no garden work, but that's ok. 

Because what I did get done on Saturday, while things were in the oven, was purging the kitchen cabinets. If something was 100% mine/ my purview, I either re-arranged it or threw it tf away. If it was shared or the gentleman's stuff, well.... here's everything I found that was straight up expired or a weird one-off in the glasses cupboard:

image.png.70702fd4cad47ad7f242a457f72abe54.png

Yeah... yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhh.... You can tell me all you want that spices don't go bad, but if I open the container and it smells like staleness... it's getting trashed. If a spice expired in 2008, and it's still 95% full and rock solid... trash. You get the picture. When I picked up the small container of bouillon cubes, neither of us could remember who bought it or when, so it got tossed, too. Stuff like that. So we now have a LOT more space in our cupboards, and I think everything in them is actually edible. I did not have the energy to tackle the fridge or the "pantry," but it was a good start. 

• Like 9
  • Wow 1

6 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Saturday was a back-to-baking day, with apple crisp, blueberry muffins, and a double batch of chocolate chip cookies.

Sounds delicious!!

6 hours ago, Manarelle said:

purging the kitchen cabinets.

Yay for the great purge!! One cabinet at a time. :) 

• Like 2

Previous challenges: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

12 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Week 0: 

• Exercise: 3 lifting, 2 cardio. I'll take it. 
  • Work: Today was better. 
  • House stuff:
    • Backyard: No.
    • PURGE, BABY! Yes. 
  • Mental/ new songs: No. 

I missed one day of walking, which is acceptable. Restarted weights and while it feels pathetic compared to pre-pandemic, one of my friends hit me with some reality check. Definitely have goals to improve, but I'm doing ok. Work is getting better, as expected. I'm finding the people and resources I need to learn and do the job, so I'm just being patient there. Listened to more music this weekend than I have in a loooooong time, even if it was all stuff I already know fairly well, and sang myself hoarse on a car ride. 

Weekend was a bit chaotic: Saturday was a back-to-baking day, with apple crisp, blueberry muffins, and a double batch of chocolate chip cookies. Pretty much all of Sunday was driving back to the training site and sharing almost all of that with a couple of the trainees who haven't graduated yet - because I wanted an excuse to bake, I enjoy hanging out with them, and I'm aware of how much eating cafeteria food for that long absolutely sucks. The ride out was nice and easy first thing in the morning; the ride back was horrendous, and I got home with enough time to fold laundry and make tuna salad for this week's lunches. No vacuuming, no garden work, but that's ok. 

Because what I did get done on Saturday, while things were in the oven, was purging the kitchen cabinets. If something was 100% mine/ my purview, I either re-arranged it or threw it tf away. If it was shared or the gentleman's stuff, well.... here's everything I found that was straight up expired or a weird one-off in the glasses cupboard:

image.png.70702fd4cad47ad7f242a457f72abe54.png

Yeah... yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhh.... You can tell me all you want that spices don't go bad, but if I open the container and it smells like staleness... it's getting trashed. If a spice expired in 2008, and it's still 95% full and rock solid... trash. You get the picture. When I picked up the small container of bouillon cubes, neither of us could remember who bought it or when, so it got tossed, too. Stuff like that. So we now have a LOT more space in our cupboards, and I think everything in them is actually edible. I did not have the energy to tackle the fridge or the "pantry," but it was a good start. 

Spices definitely don’t last forever. They lose their strength over time. Faster if you keep it near the oven. Cause they don’t like that heat. If I remember right, they don’t particularly like direct sunlight either. I ended up tossing out 90% of my spices when I did pre-move purging.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Week 1:

• Exercise: 3 and 3, and a morning gardening. 
  • Work: Making progress. 
  • House stuff:
    • Backyard: Yes!
    • PURGE, BABY! Yes. 
    • Quality, not quantity: Purchase planned. 
  • Mental/ new songs: Identified one to learn. 

Good week over all. Making progress on workouts, both in weight/reps and visibly returning muscles. Feeling more confident at work, and actually contributing instead of just learning. Purged the pantry and found a new song I want to learn; now I just have to do it.   AND!!!

Before:                                                                                         After:

image.png.065ced33370bd573ca5ae3dd1fa84ac6.png image.png.c9921adb4ba27f5540a755d80adc42da.png

I FINALLY got the backyard cleaned up! Only took about 5 trash bins full of weeds. Still need to clean up the greenhouse frame and cover it (I'm thinking with actual paneling) for the fall but that's a separate project. I want to clear out the asparagus (right side clump o' green), because it really needs a place it can be left to grow wild during the year without blocking the path every week. I'll throw in something else low-maintenance there, and then hopefully, the yard should be fairly easy to keep up. That's a nice one to cross off the list. 

Haven't really gotten back into any hobbies yet, mostly because there's still so much catch-up on cleaning to do, but it's feeling a lot more relaxed now. If I can get the fridge cleaned out this weekend, everything else is way less pressing. 

Update: I got the fridge cleaned out. WOOT!

• Like 6

The yard looks great

• Thanks 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Huh. I managed to miss not one, but two weekend updates. 

• Exercise: Solid. 
  • Work: Feeling confident. 
  • House stuff:
    • Backyard: Done. 
    • PURGE, BABY! Making strides. 
    • Quality, not quantity: Purchase(s) made. 
  • Mental/ new songs: Almost done with one. I'm content with only getting one done. 

It has been a BUSY two weeks. The backyard is done, though I don't have pictures. I pulled out the asparagus and dropped in a weird-looking purple caterpillar-shaped-flower plant that my husband, surprisingly, loves. The entire kitchen, fridge, freezer, cupboards, and dining room sideboards have been purged, although we need to make a stop by the local recycling place, because the curbside pickup won't do pots and pans. I cleaned off and shored up the greenhouse,; it's less rickety now, so I can tarp over it with real greenhouse film that should last more that one season. I purged my filing cabinet and had a shred party (by myself) yesterday - ended up with an entire trash bag full of old docs that I scanned or have paid off (WOOT!). Bought two new pans to replace some manky ones that we use constantly, and spent way too much money this weekend on a new purse, wallet, and light coat - all of which feel sturdy enough to last for years, but dang it was a big wad of cash to drop at once. 

/breathes in. So yeah. Life is doing pretty ok. This month is always a little nuts because it's my and my father's birthdays, plus Halloween, plus I'm planning to go back to where training was one weekend to visit the folks who are still there before they graduate. Not a whole lot of free time on weekends, so the weeknights are going to be pretty low key. Thankfully, I am planning to reuse the Jedi costume for Halloween, so no pressure there. The husband actually packed up all the Legos and gave me shelf space, so I probably won't get back to making stuff until I have existing stuff sorted out and the upstairs closets cleaned. But the house is looking so much better, and I'm happy. 

• Like 5

Whoa. I'm tired just reading this. You accomplished a TON! and in such a short time? After a prolonged absence? I'm in awe, lady!  

Will there be Jedi costume pics? 🥺 I love seeing Jedi stuff and I'm gathering inspo and energy to make some outfits for Galaxy's Edge next year for me and my husband. We've been planning this trip since before COVID so we're going all out!

• Like 1

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

EPIC Quest

Wrap-up Goals:

• Exercise: Yes, back in the groove and seeing results. 
  • Work: Settled in, for the most part. 
  • House stuff:
    • Backyard: Done. 
    • PURGE, BABY! Making progress. 
  • Mental/ new songs: Yes.

I'm definitely feeling settled back in, for the most part. The workout routine is back on track, I'm reading again (currently on Farenheit 451, because why  not), and I even got a bunch of sewing done today. Still not feeling the cosplay, and I'm still a little hesitant to make plans, because I'm being overprotective of my free time. Recognizing that went a long way to addressing it, though, so that's good. 

The gentleman and I bought two more new pans and some new kitchen utensils for things that were decidedly on the way out. I cleaned up the dining room except for on top of the bookshelves, which will be a whole 'nother excursion. Got a hankering to sew: cut out and put together a mock-up for the jeans, which was almost perfect. The mock-up fabric I used was thin, non-stretch material, so the final was a little too tight, but I was surprised at how quickly and easily everything went together. I asked for a pair of bent-handled shears for my birthday this week, and i made cutting the actual fabric SO MUCH EASIER OMG WHY DIDN'T I GET THESE 25 YEARS AGO????

The cut edge is so clean and exact to the pattern piece, so the final product will be much cleaner and straighter lines. I was rather surprised at the cat: she came in, saw that I was cutting out fabric and did not immediately walk into the middle of the cutting board. This is the first time she's done something not annoying. She did still lie down right in the way of cutting things out, but I was grateful enough that she stayed off the fabric that I just worked around her and let her nap. Spent the afternoon sewing the pockets onto various pattern pieces, then reality crept in and I finished the day off doing domestics and meal prep for the week. 

While I'm very pleased with how the challenge went, and getting back into the groove of life, I absolutely sucked at coming here and being social and supportive. That will be on the next challenge, for sure. In the meantime, internet tax:

image.png.de13fa67615ad57fb31001d31fbc8845.png

• Like 3