KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

The week after this challenge ends I'll be flying to Sweden for the European Championship.. which feels really weird for multiple reasons mostly pandemic related*, but I am also really looking forward to it. It is very likely that I'll just be going along as coach, but there is a small chance I can actually compete in my division if I manage to lift the right numbers in a couple weeks. That makes this challenge simple; 

1. follow the program, do the work, lift the bells, yadayada, prerequisites; 

- stay on top of laundry because only 2 good sports bra's alright

- get to bed by 10:30pm at the latest otherwise you'll feel too much like trash to do cardio

2. keep calm 

- do the chores, tidy house tidy mind? 

- brain dump in the bujo

- all the bonus points for decluttering

3. ENJOY

Sometimes I forget to do that? especially on these high stress things.. because this is also work and it's added stress with leaving home, being away from the baby at night for the first time.. the odd feelings about the pandemic situation and the conflicted feelings about my sport due to the politics involved and the pressure to perform, both as a coach and an athlete and a gym owner that ought to say something about all this on social media, know? stress. 

So to remind myself to also enjoy I thought it'd be helpful and fun to share some stories here about all the good times that have come before and maybe some fun from the current prep. 

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

8 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

stay on top of laundry because only 2 good sports bra's alright

tumblr_oanf1nFhNO1t2psolo1_500.pngE8gxaxQXIAMEQlZ.jpg:large

11 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

So to remind myself to also enjoy I thought it'd be helpful and fun to share some stories here about all the good times that have come before and maybe some fun from the current prep. 

YEsss

Following for this.

Enjoy life girl. Let's do this.

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

The week after this challenge ends I'll be flying to Sweden for the European Championship.. which feels really weird for multiple reasons mostly pandemic related*, but I am also really looking forward to it. It is very likely that I'll just be going along as coach, but there is a small chance I can actually compete in my division if I manage to lift the right numbers in a couple weeks. That makes this challenge simple; 

Oooh, how exciting! Regardless of whether you get to compete it should be great to watch!

Sometimes I forget to do that? especially on these high stress things.. because this is also work and it's added stress with leaving home, being away from the baby at night for the first time.. the odd feelings about the pandemic situation and the conflicted feelings about my sport due to the politics involved and the pressure to perform, both as a coach and an athlete and a gym owner that ought to say something about all this on social media, know? stress.

The pandemic is out of your hands. If you already decided to go, then relax and leave things up to the universe. Extra worrying will not enhance the outcomes. But ugh, there's politics in your kettlebells? Yuck.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

Awesome that you get to go to the championship with your team, and maybe even compete. Here to cheer you on!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

23 hours ago, Happienumber said:

tumblr_oanf1nFhNO1t2psolo1_500.pngE8gxaxQXIAMEQlZ.jpg:large

YEsss

Following for this.

Enjoy life girl. Let's do this.

Hi! :) 

I'm just very picky, I need the right amount of flattening x) and these two are just perfect and I refuse to lift bells in less than perfect x) 

22 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I wanted to make an Ikea joke about the championship trophy since the finals are in Sweeden, but it was too hard to put together. 

xD I like Ikea. If they made the trophies it would probably be better than what we're getting now. 

14 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oooh, how exciting! Regardless of whether you get to compete it should be great to watch!

The pandemic is out of your hands. If you already decided to go, then relax and leave things up to the universe. Extra worrying will not enhance the outcomes. But ugh, there's politics in your kettlebells? Yuck.

It will be great to watch :) and there is a very real chance one of my lifters will end up on the podium in the highest division so that's exciting! 

But you're right, since I made the decision I should just let it go. 

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Awesome that you get to go to the championship with your team, and maybe even compete. Here to cheer you on!

Thank you! :) I'm somewhat hopeful. but it'll be nice either way. 

39 minutes ago, deftona said:

I hope you get to compete! Here to follow your progress :) 

Thanks! :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

there is a very real chance one of my lifters will end up on the podium in the highest division so that's exciting! 

That's so cool!

I definitely hope you have fun!

• Thanks 1

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

First day of the challenge then! 

After classes this morning I did a bit of a test to see where I'm at for biathlon (ok lemme explain the competition in the spoiler)

Spoiler

I compete in biathlon, which is first 10:00 jerk and then after a two hour break 10:00 snatch. My division (2nd) lifts with 16kg bells, so that's 2x16 for jerk and 1x16 for snatch. (The highest women division lifts 20kgs). In those 10' you're not allowed to put the bells down, if you do then that's the end of your set. With snatch you can switch hands only once. 

The goal is ofcourse to do as many reps as possible in that time frame.

For me that means which pace can I sustain for jerk and for snatch it usually means how long can I manage to hold them (I've never once completed the 10:00 with 16kg). 

I did a 5:00 set with 2x16 for jerks, kept an 8 pace the first 4 minutes and then sped up to 11 in the last one, so that's 43 reps. 

snatch I just did a max rep with 16kg on each hand, which was 28/27=55

that's a total of 70.5 points (jerk is 1, snatch is 0.5) and I need 106. 

possible. unlikely, but possible. 

• Like 3

Life is meant to be enjoyed. Don't let sport politics and pandemic stress ruin it for you. Easier said than done, yes, but... life is meant to be enjoyed.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

First day of the challenge then! 

After classes this morning I did a bit of a test to see where I'm at for biathlon (ok lemme explain the competition in the spoiler)

Hide contents

I compete in biathlon, which is first 10:00 jerk and then after a two hour break 10:00 snatch. My division (2nd) lifts with 16kg bells, so that's 2x16 for jerk and 1x16 for snatch. (The highest women division lifts 20kgs). In those 10' you're not allowed to put the bells down, if you do then that's the end of your set. With snatch you can switch hands only once. 

The goal is ofcourse to do as many reps as possible in that time frame.

For me that means which pace can I sustain for jerk and for snatch it usually means how long can I manage to hold them (I've never once completed the 10:00 with 16kg). 

I did a 5:00 set with 2x16 for jerks, kept an 8 pace the first 4 minutes and then sped up to 11 in the last one, so that's 43 reps. 

Oh wow. Ten minutes no rest. That sounds like... like the dreaded strengthcardio, the most deadly form of strength. That's a clean and jerk right?

1 hour ago, Defining said:

Holy Relatable Content Batman!

Oops, I don't wash mine often because they don't get sweaty. My t-shirts do, though.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

Exciting! Best of luck to you and your team

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

22 hours ago, KB Girl said:

At least it's still possible.  It you qualify, great.  If you don't and are just going as a coach, that's still great!

22 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Hi! :) 

I'm just very picky, I need the right amount of flattening x) and these two are just perfect and I refuse to lift bells in less than perfect x) 

I used to be that way.  One of the few silver linings from the cancer is that I no longer need sports bras at all.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

On 9/13/2021 at 5:14 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Life is meant to be enjoyed. Don't let sport politics and pandemic stress ruin it for you. Easier said than done, yes, but... life is meant to be enjoyed.

Amen. As much as possible at least! 

On 9/13/2021 at 7:01 AM, Harriet said:

Oh wow. Ten minutes no rest. That sounds like... like the dreaded strengthcardio, the most deadly form of strength. That's a clean and jerk right?

Oops, I don't wash mine often because they don't get sweaty. My t-shirts do, though.

There is also a clean and jerk (we call it longcycle) to compete in, but I don't usually do that. I prefer just jerks :) it's a little bit heavier but also a little bit less cardio-y. But yea- that's why I don't train much when I'm tired or challenged in other ways. 

When strength training I can just re-use the bra the next day, but this strength cardio makes me sweat in all the places x) 

On 9/13/2021 at 9:56 AM, Tobbe said:

SwedenSwedenSwedenSwedenSweden

Welcome! :)  What city are you going to?

Tak! 

The competition is in Falun, we'll probably fly to Stockholm and take a train from there. 

On 9/13/2021 at 3:59 PM, miss_marissa said:

Exciting! Best of luck to you and your team

Hey, good to see you! And thank you :)

On 9/13/2021 at 7:13 PM, MezzotheLefty said:

Following along to cheer you on!

Thank you! 

On 9/13/2021 at 9:00 PM, Nymeria said:

At least it's still possible.  It you qualify, great.  If you don't and are just going as a coach, that's still great!

I used to be that way.  One of the few silver linings from the cancer is that I no longer need sports bras at all.  

Yes exactly :) not many do, but I actually really like lifting in competitions, it's a great feeling. So I hope. 

Way to look on the bright side. What are the other silver linings?

• Like 1

Monday morning was spend leisurely- I hadn't slept very well, thoughts going a million miles a minute and Sophie woke up several times and then I didn't fall back asleep as easily as I normally do. Frustrating. No time to dwell on it though because I had back to back appointments and classes the whole afternoon and evening. Got home by 10 and still had to eat so obviously didn't make my 1030 bed time. Unfortunately had trouble falling asleep again. (and thanks to Sophie again and again) 

So Tuesday morning I had planned to do a kettlebell training session but I simply cannot do cardio this tired (even if it's strengthcardio) so I didn't. At first I wanted to do some strength work but ugggh. I did take the bike on two errands so I spend 4x15 minutes on my bike. Made a tuna and pasta salad for dinner. 

Not such a great start, unfortunately. And I also just got the message that we have bacteria in our tap water AGAIN. 

Some NF therapy, the reasons I can't seem to shut my brain off; 

Spoiler

My moms best friend's husband died on Friday, growing up I saw her and her kids quite a lot but over the last 15ish years have only seen them occasionally. My mom brought them food on Saturday while they were arranging things and on Sunday I asked my mom when there would be an opportunity to express condolences and she said that her friend would really appreciate me and the kids dropping by that afternoon.. anxiety ensued, but I decided to be brave and go anyway. That part I'm happy with. 

What makes me anxious is wanting to say the right things, uncertainty around wether they really want me there at that point, like, who am I to be here in this moment in time? and unfortunately I deal with that stress by babbling.. so.. ok not all of it, but too much of the conversation was about me trying to reassure myself rather than.. you know.. it not being about me which would have been far far better. 

I feel a little bit better now, because time, but pff did it turn my stomach the last 2 days. Just second guessing everything I did and said. Horrible. They're good people though, really nice people. So I wanted to do better.. alas. 

The other bit is covid and politics related so meh, best not to go into it probably. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Tak! 

The competition is in Falun, we'll probably fly to Stockholm and take a train from there. 

It's "Tack". But close enough! 😃  Falun is an interesting choice of city to have a European Championship competition in. I thought you'd pick a bigger city for that sort of thing. But considering how small of a city it is, it's still a city most everyone in Sweden knows about. I've never been there, but I bet there's lots of interesting history to discover, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

It's "Tack". But close enough! 😃  Falun is an interesting choice of city to have a European Championship competition in. I thought you'd pick a bigger city for that sort of thing. But considering how small of a city it is, it's still a city most everyone in Sweden knows about. I've never been there, but I bet there's lots of interesting history to discover, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

...and not claustrophobic ;) 

• Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Some NF therapy, the reasons I can't seem to shut my brain off; 

Hide contents

My moms best friend's husband died on Friday, growing up I saw her and her kids quite a lot but over the last 15ish years have only seen them occasionally. My mom brought them food on Saturday while they were arranging things and on Sunday I asked my mom when there would be an opportunity to express condolences and she said that her friend would really appreciate me and the kids dropping by that afternoon.. anxiety ensued, but I decided to be brave and go anyway. That part I'm happy with. 

What makes me anxious is wanting to say the right things, uncertainty around wether they really want me there at that point, like, who am I to be here in this moment in time? and unfortunately I deal with that stress by babbling.. so.. ok not all of it, but too much of the conversation was about me trying to reassure myself rather than.. you know.. it not being about me which would have been far far better. 

I feel a little bit better now, because time, but pff did it turn my stomach the last 2 days. Just second guessing everything I did and said. Horrible. They're good people though, really nice people. So I wanted to do better.. alas. 

The other bit is covid and politics related so meh, best not to go into it probably. 

The way I see it,

Spoiler

Other people are not that fragile. You don't need to carefully manage their feelings by saying the perfect thing every time. People are robust and can absorb some imperfect babbling without any injury to their peace or wellbeing. I'll bet you a kettlebell that even if you didn't say the perfect thing, they didn't think about it much and have already forgotten. The'yll remember that you cared enough to come, though.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

Agreeing with Harriet. I tend to go over and over in my mind whether I said something the right way, especially in stressful situations. My husband has to remind me that most people don't even remember. They asked for you to be there and you were, that is what was important.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Following along - most of the kettlebell stuff goes right over my head, but how awesome that your team is going to championships and you get to compete! I love your focus on the positive for this challenge - anxiety can be so overwhelming; it's hard to block out the negative voices. I think it's wonderful that you have this opportunity to go and the family support. Your kids will always remember how you prioritized your goals and achievements and carry that lesson to their own lives!

Level 10 Ravenclaw Adventurer

STR 19.25 | DEX 12 | STA 22.75 | CON 38 | WIS 21 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 CURRENT: 12

And then two weeks passed by.. there was not enough sleep and a cold and a hurting thumb and shark week and not enough training and I kinda slipped back into depressing thought patterns.. it's so annoying to have to crawl out of a hole like this every couple of weeks! but I suppose staying in the hole is not great either. I did some token snatches just now and then came here to tell myself it is officially time to get back up. 

Things that help; 

- When Sophie (1,5yo) goes to sleep we stay with her until she falls asleep and lately she requests hugs by saying 'come' and then puts an arm around your neck and her cheek on your cheek and it's very adorable and last night she did the same after waking up in the middle of the night, I gave her something to drink and then she grabbed me for a hug before rolling back into her own bed. Very cute. 

On 9/22/2021 at 4:48 PM, athousandwords said:

Following along - most of the kettlebell stuff goes right over my head, but how awesome that your team is going to championships and you get to compete! I love your focus on the positive for this challenge - anxiety can be so overwhelming; it's hard to block out the negative voices. I think it's wonderful that you have this opportunity to go and the family support. Your kids will always remember how you prioritized your goals and achievements and carry that lesson to their own lives!

Failing at the positive part a bit x) but yes, living my own life is part of being a good mother I think, thanks :)

• Like 6