Visiting 3 New Gyms in NYC

So I'll be in NYC from Tue-Fri this week. This time I'll be staying in Chelsea. Would have preferred downtown, but it's graduation week so it's difficult to find a room as hordes of parents are in town for the week to attend graduation ceremonies at the multitude of colleges & universities in NYC.

I plan to check out 3 gyms while there:

1. david barton

2. crunch

3. equinox

these seem to be chains that are a short distance from where i'm staying. there's also:

global strongman gym - i don't lift... or powerlift for that matter, but it could be cool from the website, and

city gym boys - which seems to be a program for engaging inner city youth in fitness and seems like some sort of HIIT...

while these seemed interesting, i have a generic program that i stick to and am not looking to do a routine out of left field. globo gym is good enough for me. i would do the workout in the hotel gym, but although they have 2 treadmills, they don't have a pullup bar nor a decline bench where i can do my situps...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... especially healthy and tasty places to eat. will try to finally get to the dig inn which i've been dying to try since it was recommended by nightlight ages ago... :)

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

i've been to a gym with live DJs spinning and a lounge with california king beds for lounging while resting in between sets... there was a blacklight by each bed so that you can check that the linens are fresh... hahaha... and it wasn't in vegas where you kind of expect that kind of thing...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I use NYHRC and like them quite a bit, though the nearest one to you is still a bit of a hike.

For jogs, central park, UWS, and the highline are all pretty nice in my opinion.

thanks... i love riverside park but i always end up thinking about the charles bronson death wish movies... :) but the floating movie screenings on the hudson in the summer are really cool...

David Barton here is ridiculously expensive. I would go with Crunch or Equinox. However, I do pay an insane amount of money to do Crossfit. (More than a DB membership) so take that with a grain of salt.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

My mom is a member of Equinox on the Upper East Side. I've worked out there while visiting home. True Globo Gym, super swank. Good range of kit, plenty of weights, although I would've liked more space to set up my deadlift bar, had to do it right in front of the squat rack. Cardio machines were also nice, did a run on the treadmills and enjoyed watching my little progress bar around the on-screen "track", and could charge up my iPod on the treadmill. Lots of extras thrown in - only gym I've been in that provides free razors and shaving cream in the ladies' locker room (along with everything else you could possibly want). The pricey gym I'm a member of here only provides crappy hair/shower gel.

Staff were all wandering around in Vibrams, a very cute little blonde PT complimented me on my deadlifts, and they said it was fine for me to lift barefoot.

BUT, their adverts feature overly sexualized anorexic looking models, and this guy was there.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

I think the nicest gym I've been to in the US was in ketchum, idaho... they had beautiful vistas and a huge salt water pool... wtf... where the hell do you get huge quantities of sea water in landlocked idaho...? It was a testament to excess... and I think they wanted a $55,000 initiation... hahaha... douchebags...

Hemingway is buried there I think...