[Rebel Pilot Gar] Can it wait? I’m in the middle of some calibrations...

Still need to figure out how to work in the Critical Role theme of past couple challenges but since buying Mass Effect Legendary Edition, I've been basically spending all free time exploring that storyline. (I love it, but I also need to pull myself away from the computer and get back to actually being a real person)

This challenge is going to be all about nutrition & meal planning.

Big Picture where I want to get to for nutrition in process of being written. To be added soon.

SMART goals to continue taking the baby steps in that direction also in process of being written and will be added soon....

mass effect GIF

• Like 1

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

Current State:

• I typically either skip breakfast or eat a granola bar / other packaged food
  • Some weeks I'm really good at bringing lunch to work (and using up the leftovers) but usually at the expense of packing that morning and nearly running late for work
  • Other weeks I roll the work cafeteria willpower dice (and we have leftovers that get wasted)
  • Freezer is packed with ingredients or old meals. Need to use them up before they 1) go bad and 2) so we can make space for more stuff
  • We've also been slipping up with the meal planning. leading to me buying ingredients that we don't end up using or freezing before they go off. I hate throwing away food from an environmental / sustainability / waste of money / etc perspective. So it's time to be more cognizant of the contents of our fridge and use / freeze before they begin colonizing the uncharted lands of the refrigerator.

critical-role-gif-6.gif

Goals:

1) Eat a fruit / vegetable with every meal

2) Pack lunch for work the night before 3 days/ week

3) Make 1 meal / week from frozen leftovers

Extras (aka not goals but other things I want to do during this challenge)

• 1 outdoor family adventure / week (leaves are changing!)
  • 2 sessions of yoga / week (NF Water A & B routines)

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Like 2

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

I am also neck deep in mass effect legendary LOL

(exactly who is saying the MAKO is easier to drive??? I kill us daily) 

695163539_ScreenShot00040(1).jpg.21cbed6a7784fa14fe704688fe44e329.jpgScreenShot00043.jpg.6138bd8e0486cef81a9773fe66ce6069.jpg668995473_ScreenShot00030(1).jpg.35c680fa9f5f39f4c61cf86263b6e6a6.jpg 1586370220_ScreenShot00033(1).jpg.6f1b4aea2aceac9996d373d2d67eb994.jpg

*Garrus' muffled screaming*

2 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Awesome! I love how balanced this is, you're really addressing the issues you brought up but in a super attainable way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

6 hours ago, Happienumber said:

I am also neck deep in mass effect legendary LOL

(exactly who is saying the MAKO is easier to drive??? I kill us daily) 

695163539_ScreenShot00040(1).jpg.21cbed6a7784fa14fe704688fe44e329.jpgScreenShot00043.jpg.6138bd8e0486cef81a9773fe66ce6069.jpg668995473_ScreenShot00030(1).jpg.35c680fa9f5f39f4c61cf86263b6e6a6.jpg 1586370220_ScreenShot00033(1).jpg.6f1b4aea2aceac9996d373d2d67eb994.jpg

*Garrus' muffled screaming*

Hahaha thanks. Yeah that looks about right for my Shepard’s driving also. I’m nearing endgame for ME3. On one hand I slightly regret leaning on slight spoilers to help me out. On the other? I regret nothing *protectively gathers my squad to smother with paragon goodness*

7 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Awesome! I love how balanced this is, you're really addressing the issues you brought up but in a super attainable way. 

Thanks! Now to make sure I follow the discipline to realign these habits the way I want to. Glad it seems approachable outside of my mind also!

18 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:
  • Freezer is packed with ingredients or old meals. Need to use them up before they 1) go bad and 2) so we can make space for more stuff
  • We've also been slipping up with the meal planning. leading to me buying ingredients that we don't end up using or freezing before they go off.

I suck at freezer management too. I once made a challenge about using up my UFOs - Unidentified Freezer Objects.  Things that's been in the freezer so long I can't even remember what it is, and it has so much freezer burn you can't even see what it is before thawing it/tasting it. Thinking about it it's probably time to do that again 🛸

• Like 1
On 9/13/2021 at 8:34 AM, Tobbe said:

I suck at freezer management too. I once made a challenge about using up my UFOs - Unidentified Freezer Objects.  Things that's been in the freezer so long I can't even remember what it is, and it has so much freezer burn you can't even see what it is before thawing it/tasting it. Thinking about it it's probably time to do that again 🛸

Freezer management is tough. Mostly remembering to defrost the things well enough in advance if they survive the stay in the freezer. 

I label the things pretty well with description and date but freezer burn is def still an issue. 

W1D1 (Sunday):

• went for a hike
  • did not track goals 

W1D2 (Monday):

• breakfast - skipped
  • lunch- brought leftovers to work, had fruit (apple)
  • dinner - veggie (spinach)

W1D3 (Tuesday)

• breakfast - granola bar, no fruit/veg 
  • lunch - cafeteria, veggie (summer squash)
  • dinner - homemade lasagna with spinach 
  • Like 1

Great goals Rebel!    I love how they are formatted and made to be successful! 

Also, all the CR and ME, OMG.  This IS my favorite thread on the forums.   ~Shepard Puck

• Like 1

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

On 9/13/2021 at 12:02 AM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

I regret nothing *protectively gathers my squad to smother with paragon goodness*

Honestly after three games of time invested....you need to ensure it ends the way you want LOL. 

• Like 1

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

3 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Great goals Rebel!    I love how they are formatted and made to be successful! 

Also, all the CR and ME, OMG.  This IS my favorite thread on the forums.   ~Shepard Puck

Thank you! That is quite the compliment. 
All of these goals are achievable provided I focus on them - I am definitely seeing a mindset change already just keeping my goals in mind. Especially the “eat a fruit/vegetable” one...

3 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Honestly after three games of time invested....you need to ensure it ends the way you want LOL. 

So true lol.

I’m actually kind of glad my first mass effect experience is the legendary edition (vs previous attempts of starting and getting frustrated by being bad at shooting games).

With Dragon Age I  played as the games were released but had the lack of cross-platform save files issue.

Minor story details seem so much more vital in Mass Effect vs Dragon Age. And it honestly just adds to my newfound love of the game and storyline how much the “side quest” choices add up.

17 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

And it honestly just adds to my newfound love of the game and storyline how much the “side quest” choices add up.

This is the thing that I love most about the franchise.    I warned my one friend when he played, "Talk to your squad mates, EVERY time you get back to the ship, or when they ask to talk."    He didn't.   And he ended up in a critical moment that crushed his heart so badly he went back to a reload from like 7 hours of game play earlier, lol!!

• Like 1

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

On 9/16/2021 at 11:48 AM, Starpuck said:

This is the thing that I love most about the franchise.    I warned my one friend when he played, "Talk to your squad mates, EVERY time you get back to the ship, or when they ask to talk."    He didn't.   And he ended up in a critical moment that crushed his heart so badly he went back to a reload from like 7 hours of game play earlier, lol!!

Wow, I can imagine! Luckily Dragon Age taught me well (make all of the save, talk to everyone, then talk to them again!)

The part I love most is the variety of characters - and how not all of them agree with you. They don't follow Shepard blindly, don't always agree with Shep's decisions and speak up when they disagree. Or in the case of some characters, confronts Shepard (Looking at you, Kaidan/Ash 👀)

I finished the third game. Still digesting the ending.

Spoiler

I know it wasn't everyone's cup of tea and also know that by playing Legendary Edition I didn't get the "original" ending drama. IDK, regardless of how I feel, this is an ending that sticks with you. There is no good choice in the end, nothing is really a clear win. And I kind of like that a lot. Makes me want to replay the whole trilogy and see how understanding the full storyline adds depth to each of the games.

Also really happy I didn't have to deal with Multiplayer mode to max out my War Assets.

I may also be planning to knit an N7 hoodie now. How unrealistic is knitting an adult sized hoodie by November 7th? Not sure (given the last sweater I knit took me a year, and I would need to Frankenstein a few patterns together to get the vertical arm stripe to work the way I want.) but we'll see how it goes.

1288788290-tumblr_mjkraqCtlk1rwuk4ko3_50

• Like 1

Challenge-wise I didn't do a great job at keeping track of my goals this week. I did actively think about them, but honestly can't say I really focused on them.

We did go hiking again today (with friends! including 2 large dogs and a baby -- 1 year old, first hiking adventure). Was a lot of fun so we'll definitely have to do it again whenever our schedules all align.

Jamo was really good with the baby, considering he's not been socialized to be gentle with tiny humans.

• Like 1

Not sure how Legendary worked the endings, from what I recall, there were three choices, and after players complained about them, an extra was added. 

Spoiler

My first play through I inadvertently picked the extra extra one which was a giant 'Ok then, F U all' from Bioware. ' (I went through all the options, saying no no no, thinking I could go back and finally pick which was the least evil, but instead it was like then okay this happens!  (And it was basically a recording from Liara that said, "If you are receiving this, then we have failed." OMG!)  lol.  

I ended up opting for the destruction choice, which, at the very end of the credits you see Shep's chest logo N7 rise and fall in the rubble as if a breath was taken.   That was the best one for me.

• Like 1

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Not sure how Legendary worked the endings, from what I recall, there were three choices, and after players complained about them, an extra was added. 

Hide contents

My first play through I inadvertently picked the extra extra one which was a giant 'Ok then, F U all' from Bioware. ' (I went through all the options, saying no no no, thinking I could go back and finally pick which was the least evil, but instead it was like then okay this happens!  (And it was basically a recording from Liara that said, "If you are receiving this, then we have failed." OMG!)  lol.  

I ended up opting for the destruction choice, which, at the very end of the credits you see Shep's chest logo N7 rise and fall in the rubble as if a breath was taken.   That was the best one for me.

Spoiler

Yeah I eventually picked Destroy and got the N7 chest scene. Control and Synthesis endings just seemed too much like "indoctrination" temptation lol. And as much as I played nearly pure Paragon..... the alliance, my crew and our allies trusted me to destroy the reapers - so that's what I did. Sorry EDI and Geth :(

Eventually I'll probably take my endgame Shepard through the other endings just to see (or I guess I could go to youtube, but where's the fun in that?)

I started a new ME3 playthrough - this time with with Male Shepard. Legendary edition let me select some decisions for ME1 / ME2 in comic form (not sure if this was in the original game?) Very interested to see how this game progresses / what choices were made for me (because while there is so much depth to the story.... I dont trust myself to do another playthrough of ME1 and ME2 and do different things lol.

Still romancing Kaidan though. One change at a time.

Onto actual fitness / challenge stuffs.... IDK motivation has been really tough this challenge. So of course the answer is "I don't need you, motivation" and taking each day / food choice as I come to it. Lunch has been prepared for tomorrow. It even includes a vegetable. (Salad with leftover pulled pork). Still need to decide what to use from the freezer this week. We've kind of been avoiding looking at that collection.....

• Like 1

Week 2 progress report

• breakfast is still a gap - because I mostly skip this
  • lunch is pretty good
  • dinner is probably about 60% so could use some work

• 2 days done. Depending on amount of leftovers will get the 3rd in. 

• Have not made progress. Should take inventory (and purge the especially freezer burned  items) this weekend to better support this goal.

In other news I’ve discovered “The Black Dice Society” - a Ravenloft based campaign on the official D&D YouTube channel. I’m 3 episodes in and loving it so far, good mix of D&D and spooky vibes perfect for upcoming Halloween. The cast is great too.

My inner high-school aged dragonlance obsessed self is freaking out in the best way with every mention of Lord Soth. Maybe unlike Critical Role I can actually catch up to the live stream?

6 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

• breakfast is still a gap - because I mostly skip this

On 9/12/2021 at 8:14 PM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

I typically either skip breakfast or eat a granola bar / other packaged food

You know what the perfect "packaged food" is? A banana! Nature is amazing. Even wrapped it up in a nice package for you! Or an orange/other citrus fruit.

For a bit more staying-power I'd recommend pairing with something like this (or peanut butter or other nut butter)

image.png.870b71fdad7aa291fbd685cf6647d899.png

• Thanks 1

I also romanced Kaiden, but I want to go back and romance Garrus because he ended up being my favorite character in the series.  

I've been mad dashing to catch up on Campaign 2 and it is SO intense and crazy right now.    I hear ya on keeping up with things before you are 400 hours behind. :)

• Like 1

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Busy weekend, but in a good way! Here's the summary for week 2 / plan for week 3:

Even though this is worded pretty precisely, I'm getting the feeling this is still too vague of a goal for my brain to latch onto.  It's looking like "meal planning" is more the way to go for progress. In that regard here's my plan for the beginning of the week.

• Sunday - already passed. But I skipped breakfast, had a sandwich for lunch (no fruits / veggies unless you count relish (chopped sweet pickles)), made chili for dinner with lots of peppers (so 1 / 3)
  • Monday - Breakfast (banana); Lunch (leftover chili over mixed greens); Dinner (hot dogs with leftover chili and side salad)
  • Tuesday - Breakfast (banana); Lunch (leftover chili over mixed greens); Dinner - TBD but aiming for roasted chicken thighs and broccoli

Chili Recipe skeleton that i followed in spirit - https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/80760/no-tomato-chili/

• 2 of 3 days last week
  • Already set for Monday / Tuesday (see # 1)

• Missed for week 1 & week 2
  • Week 3 - found leftover cooked tritip steak and chopped that up to add to the chili

Bonuses: Have not been doing the yoga. But we've been doing a weekly rotating adventure with friends (pack walk for the win!). My pup saw his doggy-BFF again today so life is complete. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

It's looking like "meal planning" is more the way to go for progress.

Awesome self-awareness!

And this looks like a really good plan.

10 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

(pack walk for the win!). My pup saw his doggy-BFF again today so life is complete.

AWWWW this is so cute!!

Ironic that you mention pack walk, I've literally never heard of this before this week, but the dog I'm going to dogsit for starting on Friday goes on a pack walk every week and I was like, what a great idea for socialization! I don't know why I've never heard of this concept before despite being a dogsitter for like 15 years. 

Here's to a good week three!!

THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

I want to go on a pack walk!!!     Aawwwooo!

Good plan adjustment going forward Rebel!    You also made me want a chili dog now.  Darnit.

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Nice to see you have a plan for breakfast going forward!

Thank you for the inspiration (aka reminder that bananas exist and are amazing )!

10 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Awesome self-awareness!

And this looks like a really good plan.

AWWWW this is so cute!!

Ironic that you mention pack walk, I've literally never heard of this before this week, but the dog I'm going to dogsit for starting on Friday goes on a pack walk every week and I was like, what a great idea for socialization! I don't know why I've never heard of this concept before despite being a dogsitter for like 15 years. 

Here's to a good week three!!

Thanks!

Honestly I think I got the phrase "pack walk" from my mum? Her current rescue pup needed some extra socialization so they started doing controlled walks with their trainer. I liked the name and it stuck lol. Hope week 3 goes well for you also!

3 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I want to go on a pack walk!!!     Aawwwooo!

Good plan adjustment going forward Rebel!    You also made me want a chili dog now.  Darnit.

Awooooo! And thank you. We don't eat hot dogs very often but it seemed like a good opportunity while the weather is trying to decide between summer and autumn.

• Like 1

Friends! Critical Role campaign 3 is starting in October!! I will definitely not finish campaigns 1 or 2 in time, but plan to just jump in on watching C3. (And continue to slowly limp along with 1 and eventually 2)

Dungeons And Dragons Reaction GIF by Alpha

Challenge stuffs:

This week has been going alright. I feel more in control with reframing the goals with focus on "meal planning". Still not eating breakfast before I leave for work, but now I've taken to carrying a banana with me for when I start feeling hungry. Shark week hit hard this month with some of the worst cramps in a while on Tuesday, so appetite has also been kinda down thanks to that. I made it through the work day but was down for the count the rest of the night, curled around my heating pad and watching The Black Dice Society. Which i am loving so far. It's helped kick some inspiration for me in the Curse of Strahd campaign I joined a couple months back since I've been struggling lately with the RP and the BDS crew have some great and inspiring RP moments.

Goals:

1) Eat a fruit / vegetable with every meal -- This one is improved with the meal planning and secret fruit stash

2) Pack lunch for work the night before 3 days/ week -- 2 days/ week done. 1 chili and 1 leftover broccoli, chicken, quinoa.

3) Make 1 meal / week from frozen leftovers -- completed on sunday. trying to plan for next week's freezer purge ingredient.

• Like 3