Andromeda Destroys the Time-Turner

Hello, fellow challenge-goers!

In this challenge, I’m again working on my bedtime routine and sleep habits.  I have a long-ingrained habit of trying to squeeze extra time out of every day, and in fact, of  imagining that I can somehow make time magically appear by ignoring the clock.  I am such the Hermione Granger in this way!  Unlike Hermione, however, I don't have a magical grandfatherly wizard to give me a time-turner.  In reality, my attempts at time-turning have led to sleep deprivation and schedule disruptions, and that, in turn, causes problems for me in terms of fitness, brainpower, mood regulation, interpersonal relationships - you name it.  But these bad habits go all the way back to childhood, so they’ve been particularly hard to break.

In my last challenge, I made some progress in discovering a workable bedtime routine and getting more consistent at it. But I’m still pretty inconsistent, and right now I really want to challenge myself to build a more solid foundation.

So, this time, my goals are:

• Start my bedtime routine on time each evening .
  • Turn out my lights on time each evening .
  • Get up on time each morning.

I’m also going to be tracking on PAPER, since logging in to the forums isn’t my strong suit.  

On the side -- but not officially a part of my challenge goals -- I’m going to be trying to build up to some longer distances in my weekly runs.  I’m hoping to do a half-marathon this winter, but summer heat has made running almost unbearable in central Texas, so my mileage has gone way down.  So you may hear me occasionally reporting on running.  We’ll see.  Running is one of the things I often can’t fit into the day if I don’t follow my sleep routine, so the two are closely related.

I’ll be following others who are working on sleep and habit formation, so I’d love to support your journeys, too!

Andromeda

time turner.jpg

• That's Metal 2

Two weeks+ in!  So, here's the data:

1) Begin bedtime routine on time - 10 pm - 8 successes; 8 failures

2) Lights out on time - 10:30 pm - 8 successes; 8 failures

3) Morning routine - get up on time (6:15-6:30 am) - 14 successes; 2 failures

My mornings are a go!  But bedtimes are clearly not there.  But the data, presented this way, muddles the story.  So far, this looks like a 50% success rate.  But if you look at my actual tracking sheet, you'll see 3 days of good consistency, a little wobble, and then a huge fall, then a return to consistency.  So, to me at least, this pattern is more hopeful than it looks when I just post numbers).

On the one hand, the challenge is going fairly well, with the exception of that period of falling off the wagon.  On the other hand, I recently went back to school, got overwhelmed in my classes, and I am starting to see some slippage in my habits.  In particular, improving my sleep habits seems to be the *only* thing I am prioritizing.  Making room for strength training isn't happening, and my nutrition habits, so carefully built over the past year, are getting inconsistent.  I am realizing I need to find ways to carve out a little more time for health and personal goals.  This means either getting more efficient at my classwork or just dropping some things.  Because I feel like I am walking a tightrope and barely getting everything done every day before getting up to start all over again.  And that's a scenario where, in the past, I've been tempted to "time-turn" by just staying up later.  Which . . . I am seriously committed to not doing.  

• Like 1

So - week 5 of the challenge.   The short update:  this challenge was a serious crash and burn.  Not only did I not make progress on my primary goals, but I also lost consistency on some of my baseline good habits.

I am going to step back, regroup, and see if I can't get started again with strength training, sleep training, and meal prepping.  Ugh. 

• Like 1
On 10/16/2021 at 8:19 PM, Jules Andromeda said:

So - week 5 of the challenge.   The short update:  this challenge was a serious crash and burn.  Not only did I not make progress on my primary goals, but I also lost consistency on some of my baseline good habits.

I am going to step back, regroup, and see if I can't get started again with strength training, sleep training, and meal prepping.  Ugh. 

I had a pretty horrible last week. Still, better then nothing :)  Hopefully, you can get a game plan set, and join up in the next challenge.