I have landed in a new place, amidst a pile of boxes and chaos, in a new and uncharted part of town. It is exciting, but also exhausting. I do not want to waste this opportunity.

I am still sore from my big move and I am not doing voluntarily anything requiring walking until the hurting stops. (I walked more than 70,000 steps over the course of the move, much of them up and down stairs. My calves are complaining loudly.) But once I recover, I want to explore this new place that I am in. For five months only, I have access to city buses and a part of the city I've never really visited. I get to be a tourist! But first I need to make a list of things to see and do, and start exploring locally. That's my first challenge item.

My second is also move-related. This move took two days and four truckloads. That's a lot more than we had planned on. We have to move again in five months, and I and the rest of my family want it to be easier next time. As we removed furniture from the truck, we were already setting some aside for sale. We need to do more purging, using up, selling, etc. I also need to repack some of the boxes to be lighter, because let me tell you: what you think is a reasonable weight when you are carrying just one box is not reasonable anymore after you've been lifting and carrying for hours. By the end of the day, everything is heavy. I think 25lbs. might be my limit this time. That's the second challenge item.

I also have habits I was trying to maintain before the move, that I should be rebuilding after. I'm going to have a look at my battle log categories and have a bit of a think about which habits I want to focus on right now, because I may need to adjust. There's the third challenge item.

I will also endeavour to catch up on what everyone else is doing and be more participatory now that the stressful time crunch is over. :)

So, in short:

1. Make a list of things to do and see, both in my local area and in the wider city. Do at least one per week, preferably one local and one "abroad". Take walks locally to get a feel for the area and what it has to offer. Explore!

2. Either deal with an item in the try/use up/make a darn decision pile, or choose a box to go through, discard items where possible, and repack at a friendlier weight. Goal is one per day. Stretch goal is one of each on non-work days.

3. Do daily habits, but first select which habits to work on.

Onward to adventure!

• Like 8

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39 

You beat me to it! My new challenge isn't ready yet! 😏

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

8 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

For five months only, I have access to city buses

Wait, the final destination also doesn't have bus access?

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

10 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

You beat me to it! My new challenge isn't ready yet! 😏

One less challenge for me to catch up on. :P (But seriously, I will watch for it.)

3 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

Wheeee I'm sure you will have lots of awesome adventures in you new town!

That's my plan! :D

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Wait, the final destination also doesn't have bus access?

Nope, the final destination is a town of 5000 people. Those tend to be busless. But it has so much that can be walked to that it's not a big problem. I'm not a big user of city amenities, so an occasional trip into the big city to do something unusual is enough for me. Besides, I'm about to visit lots of the ones I'm interested in (challenge goals!).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a lot of box sorting to do today, but my legs are feeling much better, so I am planning on a little walk once I've got some work in. The road I'm on turns a corner almost immediately, so perhaps I will find out where it leads to. :) I looked up the local area geocaches, and will use those as a foundation to explore the area a little over the next few weeks. The map shows lots of little lakes and ponds, and I'm told we're near the TransCanada Trail, so there should be lots of neat places to walk to.

I also picked up a book of day trips in the Ottawa area at work last night to browse and take notes from.

No habit review yet.

• Like 6

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39 

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Adventure!!!

First tiny adventure was today!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My legs are better but still not great, so I planned only a very small exploration today - around the corner to see where the road leads. Turns out the road is a dead end and doesn't go all that far, which is good, because I was starting to feel it by the end. It was worth the trip though, because even in that short distance we found something cool. At the end of the road, there is an abandoned house. The drive is overgrown, and the windows are boarded over in the back (but not the front), and it all looks a bit dilapidated. It has nice-looking garbage cans in the shed though, and a big metal storage unit (?) shares part of the drive which, based on how chewed up the ground is, is seeing heavy use. Some from what looks like a tractor (!). It's all very mysterious and cool. There was also another footprint in the earth, so we weren't the only ones doing a bit of gawping at the building recently.

Other than that, I mostly moved and organized boxes all day. I made good progress, but there's still a ways to go. I'm not sure why I am the only one working on this though...

I also helped put together a bed frame and watched a memory foam mattress expand.

Never did look at habits or the try pile. The latter may not be a thing to start until I have found all of the items that need to be looked at. I did find some more today, so maybe that's something? I'll try to have a look at the habits tomorrow. I won't be exercising again until my legs are recovered. I think I just strained one again moving a heavy box half an hour ago. Sigh. Fingers crossed it will be all better by morning.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

The drive is overgrown, and the windows are boarded over in the back (but not the front), and it all looks a bit dilapidated. It has nice-looking garbage cans in the shed though, and a big metal storage unit (?) shares part of the drive which, based on how chewed up the ground is, is seeing heavy use.

I dunno, sounds to me like a dead drop for drugs or something...

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

20 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Other than that, I mostly moved and organized boxes all day. I made good progress, but there's still a ways to go. I'm not sure why I am the only one working on this though...

the joys of moving...can't wait until I can unpack some boxes!!

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE Moves

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 63

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I dunno, sounds to me like a dead drop for drugs or something...

Then judging by the size of the tire tracks, them's some heavy drugs!

1 hour ago, RES said:

the joys of moving...can't wait until I can unpack some boxes!!

I wish you all the joy! :D I've been mostly just putting like with like, but not unpacking much yet. Much of it will not be unpacked except to purge and repack lighter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever I strained yesterday was not much better today. I was all right at work at first, but everyone noticed as I got slower and slower over the course of the day. I was using the book cart like a walker after a couple of hours, and my boss made me spend most of the last two hours sitting while she did the running around. It doesn't hurt really, it just feels used up and gets tired out very quickly. I can't tell for sure if it's the muscle, the tendons, or both. It may be more of the same tomorrow. Given that situation, I didn't have a walk when I got home. I moved a few boxes (I can lift just fine), then rested for a while. It feels like whatever it is, it needs rest.

Nothing done on anything else, either. :(

• Like 4

I hope the muscle strain gets better! And I hope you enjoy your new surroundings and city-by-bus adventures!

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

23 hours ago, Harriet said:

I hope the muscle strain gets better! And I hope you enjoy your new surroundings and city-by-bus adventures!

Thank you! It does seem to be improving, thank goodness! I'm looking forward to being able to get out, especially as the weather has been beautiful!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spent the whole day after getting home from work shifting boxes in the basement. Order is finally emerging from the chaos! I'm optimistic that I can finish this part of the move tomorrow, and then purge number two can begin in earnest. There have already been a carload of donations and a whole bunch of recycling removed from the house, so it's not as if no progress has been made on the get-rid-of-stuff goal. Just most of it hasn't been by me directly. :D

My legs are still not fully recovered, so I did not take a walk. My coworkers let me rest them by manning the desk most of the day, which I am grateful for. I am puzzled, though, why when I am barefoot, the problem is much better. I wear barefoot shoes - no rise, little structure or support. There should not be a significant difference in how my feet work with or without the shoes, and yet clearly there is. I think my toes are doing something different, which suggests it is the tendons that are the problem right now. Anyhow, the shifting in the basement does not seem to be a problem given I do it barefoot, so hopefully tomorrow will be all the rest I need to be back to normal. I have been hearing about the cool places my son has been going (duck pond!) and I am itching to get out there too. :)

I've been too exhausted after all the shifting to think about the habits stuff, and have spent very little time on the computer. Perhaps tomorrow after the shifting is done I can begin this part of the challenge for real.

• Like 3

I have finished the basement sorting out! (Though there are still a few boxes to move in from the garage, but I can't get to them until we sell some furniture.) My back is tired but I feel very accomplished. :D We have floor space again so it looks like we have less stuff, but things are piled very high so it's an illusion. We must not be fooled again! Purging will be required!

It's getting a bit late, so I probably won't be walking today. However, I now have time to start making plans - flip through that book that I got of cool places to explore, check out the tourist websites and reviews, mark out geocaches, and look at the map of the local area for visit-worthy places. And after a little rest, think about those habits again. :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, juliebarkley said:

I have finished the basement sorting out! (Though there are still a few boxes to move in from the garage, but I can't get to them until we sell some furniture.) My back is tired but I feel very accomplished. :D We have floor space again so it looks like we have less stuff, but things are piled very high so it's an illusion. We must not be fooled again! Purging will be required!

It's getting a bit late, so I probably won't be walking today. However, I now have time to start making plans - flip through that book that I got of cool places to explore, check out the tourist websites and reviews, mark out geocaches, and look at the map of the local area for visit-worthy places. And after a little rest, think about those habits again. :)

Congrats on getting the basement stuff sorted! And enjoy the exploring! :) 

• Like 1

Nice work on the basement!

On 9/19/2021 at 7:49 AM, juliebarkley said:

My legs are still not fully recovered, so I did not take a walk. My coworkers let me rest them by manning the desk most of the day, which I am grateful for. I am puzzled, though, why when I am barefoot, the problem is much better. I wear barefoot shoes - no rise, little structure or support. There should not be a significant difference in how my feet work with or without the shoes, and yet clearly there is. I think my toes are doing something different, which suggests it is the tendons that are the problem right now. 

This doesn't surprise me at all. The feet are stupidly complex, and subtle changes in mechanics tire out some of the many little muscles faster than the other little muscles. Same with hands. For example in when climbing I might for the life of me not be able to hold a certain hold because I fried grip my grip, yet a different type of hold is just fine.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Congrats on getting the basement stuff sorted! And enjoy the exploring! :) 

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Nice work on the basement!

Thanks! It's so nice (and a bit concerning) to see what you have and how much. And I have things like shampoo again, which is always nice. :)

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

This doesn't surprise me at all. The feet are stupidly complex, and subtle changes in mechanics tire out some of the many little muscles faster than the other little muscles. Same with hands. For example in when climbing I might for the life of me not be able to hold a certain hold because I fried grip my grip, yet a different type of hold is just fine.

That makes a lot of sense. Feet, like hands, are one of the more complicated areas of the body, as you say. It is perfectly reasonable that doing a lot of one kind of movement would exhaust muscles that aren't used to it. How long did it usually take your hands to recover?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My son having much better luck selling things here than at the old house. We had a steady stream of people arriving to pick up their purchases. In one of the larger gaps between customers, he took me on his route to the duck pond. It was a longer loop than my legs were quite ready for (almost 5km), but a nice one which ran at least 50% on trails. We crossed the TransCanada trail, which, if I follow it east, I could in theory walk all the way downtown. It's probably a nice bike ride, actually. That'll be a thing to explore another day.

I have spent most of last evening and this morning going through potential places to visit in the city. Some of the interesting stuff is still closed for Covid or is not allowing tours/tourists, and a lot of the summer tourist-season stuff is either finished or winding down, but there is still enough to keep me busy. I keep being drawn to the parks, because apparently I came to the city to enjoy its nature. 🤦‍♀️ I have to prune that list. (I'm a bad city dweller 😂.) There are also museums, escape rooms, and other fun things, but they are indoor things that I want to save for the terrible weather that is coming all too soon. I am going to try to get a spot on the free downtown walking tour next Saturday, and spend the rest of the day visiting some of the monuments and parks and things on the list. Then next week, a stroll around the Arboretum and whatever else is in that area. We should have about a month where it is pleasant enough to spend all day outdoors with a jacket, so gotta get them all in early! I am really hoping to visit the bunker that was built for the government to hide in during the Cold War if the city got nuked (Diefenbunker), both for the museum itself and for its escape rooms. It's always been too far of a trip, but it's close enough now that it is theoretically bikeable (but completely untransitable. :( )They run two escape rooms: one that the bunker is not really a museum, but a secret spy HQ planning an attack, and one where as you get to the bottom floor, there is a "radioactive event" on the surface and you are under the control of a supercomputer. It sounds like a ton of fun and they are supposed to be the biggest escape rooms in the world, so a unique experience.

While I rest my legs after their exertions today, I am going to settle in, group some of the attractions and make plans, download maps to put geocaches on, think about habits, and watch the election results roll in. It should be a fun evening.

• Like 4

Explore: I went into the local Dollarama to see what sorts of things they had in stock, and learned what other stores are available in that plaza.

Purge: Moved some boxes in the hall into their appropriately sorted destinations. Put away all the bathroom stuff. Will be picking a try pile item after the post.

Habits: Took a look at my battle log D&D stats chart to help me figure out where I want to start. (I also looked at my five-year plan, which I need to revise, because it is making me feel like an utter failure. :() Here's what I'm looking at, for reference:

Spoiler

STR: strength-based physical adventures, such as pistols or pullups

DEX: skill-based physical adventures, such as handstands or parkour

CON: endurance/health-based physical adventures, such as long-distance walking or hiking

INT: learning-based adventures, such as reading or taking courses

WIS: religious/spiritual adventures, such as prayer or meditation

CHA: social adventures, such as working on making friends or strengthening existing relationships

Occupational Proficiencies: work adventures, such as projects for my day job or a side hustle

Arts & Tool Proficiencies: hobby/organizational adventures, such as decluttering or sewing

Language Proficiences: language adventures, such as improving or starting a new language

[Edit: I'm about to ramble my way through my habit-related thoughts. If you keep reading, you have been warned. But then, y'all know I tend to ramble anyway. ;)]

I'm still in the recovery stage from the move and fall is getting on, so CON is out (unless I did a small thing, like tooth hygiene). CHA is going all right without a particular habit aimed at it, which is very nice. My Duo habit is strong and is scratching the language itch for now. I've been putting STR and DEX goals on a bit of a hold while I do the GMB program, to put the focus there back on enjoying movement rather than forcing myself to suffer for a goal. So GMB should probably be one of the habits. Now that I have room to move around in the basement, I can get back to the violin (plus I started a terrible music partnership before the move that I need to renew). My side hustle has been suffering. So have any and all hobbies, reading, and religious practice. The decluttering done so far has highlighted all the organizing and decluttering still not done. And I need to get my son's education back on track - he took a break while we were packing and selling, and some of his books are still AWOL, but that habit of daily work and checking in needs to be renewed ASAP. I have a LOT of room for improvement, unfortunately.

But here's the thing. The move was a significant disruption in habits, yes, but in both good and bad habits. I'm finding it a big change in daily lifestyle - where I might have always come in the door and sat on the couch to internet, now everything is in a different place and that habit just isn't there. It is a great time to set up new habits to mold my daily life in the direction I want it to be, rather than just where it ended up. It will work best if I start early, before any fixed patterns have formed. But it also requires that I actually follow through, otherwise I end up with the habit of ignoring the things I want and just doing the easy things. That's no good either.

So what is achievable right now? I'm not sure. I want to say that I will work on daily habits of exercise/stretching, violin, prayer (etc.), side hustling, reading, and education, but that seems like an awful, awful lot. Especially as I have spent so little time on the computer for the last month or so. My email box is frightening to behold. My challenge-following has suffered badly. I will have to increase it a little; this level is not sustainable. (But man, it's easier to get joyful things done when you leave the computer alone.)

I think my first step here, since I feel totally overwhelmed by the choosing and all the stuff I want to do but am not doing (and should have done in the last year and a half but didn't), is take a really good look at my schedule. My work schedule recently changed, as has my commute, so I have to adjust it anyway. Let's see where I have gaps that I could slot some habits into. (And remind myself, as many times as I need to, that this is about excitement and improvement and adding joy and goodness, not about feeling overwhelmed and behind and guilty and like a perpetual failure. Attitude is important here.)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

That's because it is. ;) 

I know. :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explore: pouring rain all day; I didn't even consider a walk. I did, however, learn that there is a Haunted Heritage walk for this town that starts this Friday and the start is only a kilometre away (!). I love the Haunted Walks I've done and I love history, so we will be doing this walk for sure. But not this Friday, because we have to be up pretty early for the free tour on Saturday. We may have bus service here, but it's still not the greatest, and it will take us a while to get downtown.

Purge: I'm going to pull out a try pile item (like I said I would do yesterday but didn't). Went through some towels and bedding. I'm also going to pick a box to start on but not actually start it till tomorrow. Making a decision on which box to work on should help it happen. Otherwise, I had a very large number of suspended holds at the library (so that I could return all my books rather than move them) and they're all starting to come in. Just as the bookshelves are getting sold, too. So that is a new pile I'm creating. My anti-purging pile.

Habits: I was a bit stupid and started redoing my calendar late, after my son was in bed. Since many of the things on it are things we do together, or at least coordinate times for, I got stuck fairly quickly. At least my work times are now correct. I'll have to pick this back up tomorrow. I can see many decisions I am going to have to make, so I'm going to find out pretty quickly what I value enough to make time for.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I did, however, learn that there is a Haunted Heritage walk for this town that starts this Friday and the start is only a kilometre away (!).

Walking distance! This sounds fascinating, please do share after you've done this!

As for everything else, give yourself a little patience. You've uprooted your home and relocated it... that's not a small project, and feeling overwhelmed is kind of normal in this situation. 🙂

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

20 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

One thing at a time...

I know, I know - improvement not guilt, slow is okay. I have to keep telling myself this.

20 hours ago, Epsilonte said:

That sounds really really cool! 

13 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Walking distance! This sounds fascinating, please do share after you've done this!

Will do! I've done Haunted Walks in Kingston and Toronto before, and they both full of great historical snippets and just a ton of fun generally. The general Ottawa one is on my to-do list as well, but it runs all year long. This special local one only runs until November. And the sites on the tour will be ones I will see regularly, which just makes it extra special. :)

13 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

As for everything else, give yourself a little patience. You've uprooted your home and relocated it... that's not a small project, and feeling overwhelmed is kind of normal in this situation. 🙂

It was most definitely not a small project! And it took months. The rebuilding afterwards is going to be a big project too, so I can't expect it to be back where I was (nay, far better) in only a few days. In my head I know this. But it's hard not to try. Patience with oneself is by far the hardest patience.

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

What the others said!

Ok, um, well, I will try!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explore: Nope, nada, not a thing. It was raining pretty hard when I woke up, raining even harder when I got home from work, and I think it has finally stopped, but I'm not at the night walk stage in this place yet. 🤷‍♀️

Purge: Worked some more on a puzzle that will be headed to the donations (I always finish them to make sure all the pieces are there even when I know I don't want it because we purchase them second-hand). Emptied out a box of tech stuff because we wanted our Wii (it is how we weigh the cat), and added a ton of software to the try pile. Said pile is basically my entire closet at this point. But that's okay. Part of the process.

Habits: It took only a few minutes to sort out the scheduling with my child, but I haven't gone and sorted out the calendar yet. I'll work on it a little, then put away the piles of stuff in my room so that we can sell off my furniture, then maybe work on the schedule some more before bed. I was helpfully nagged as I was writing this post to get some of the education stuff going tomorrow, so I have a little external motivation to get a move on as well. :)

• Like 4

Explore: Checked out a couple of local shopping plazas to see what shops are around. Got ready for the walking tour tomorrow by downloading offline Google Maps app and marking it up with lots of parks and waterfalls and statues and such to check out if we are in the area.

Purge: We needed a charging cord for the Kindle, so we went through our box of power bars, cords, and console gaming equipment. Some mild purging was done, and a few things added to my try pile to see if they even work.

Habits: Calendar still not done, but a bit of thinking done and a bit more clarity on where to make changes.

First major outing tomorrow! :)

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

Purge: We needed a charging cord for the Kindle, so we went through our box of power bars, cords, and console gaming equipment. Some mild purging was done, and a few things added to my try pile to see if they even work.

But did you find the Kindle charger? The Kindle has books. This is important!

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021