Skywalker simplified and a little uncomfortable

I am now officially post-hike and post-holidays after my awesome hiking (and campervan) holiday (see my Progress Woot thread).  A tricky time here as we are back in lockdown and will be for more weeks and I am conscious of how post-hike blues can put me in a hole.

So I need to focus on the 'things I learnt on the trail' and try and keep just a bit of that trail fitness.

So what is it that is so enjoyable about an extended hike?  The simplicity of each day.  You know what you have to do (get to the next campsite) even if you may have obsticles in the way - that ridge walk, those very large boulders that you have to haul yourself and pack up and over etc).   Also, always being a little out of your comfort zone (see aforementioned boulder field with no clear path to progress)

So it is really a 'back to basics' type challenge.

Fitness - running.  I noticed that my running was much improved after 3 weeks on the trail - so I figure that I should take advantage of this and increase the amount and distance that I'm running.  I am kind of thinking of doing a half marathon next year.  I haven't really put it out in the world until now.  I need to progress from 10k on my 'long run' days.

3 x 5k runs during the week

10k+ run on the weekend

Food - I have officially reached my goal weight (whoo hoo) - the hike got me down those pesky last 2kg so I am now offically only just not overweight (ie the top of the normal weight).  My real aim is to not put any back on with post-holiday eating, but since we are back in lockdown I have had a 'no junk food lockdown' policy.  I'd love to drop another 5kg in the next 12 months, so not bothered about doing anything radical.  I am going to log food for at least this challenge (maybe for 3 months) which is an interesting decision as I barely logged when I lost the weight.  (I went as low carb as I could - maybe sometimes keto and did a small amount of fasting).  i do feel that logging will be good from a maintenance perspective.

Log food daily - if miss a day - add in an estimation.

Environment - Another lockdown 'habit' is to improve my environment.  You wouldn't think so as I am sitting in a room full of miscellanious extra furniture etc, but the real sanity project is in the garden.  I've started a gardening journal in Evernote, have a stack of projects I'd like to complete but the goal will just be:

10 Minutes of gardening a day (more if in the mood / have the time (who am i kidding, I always have time)

Life outside the comfort zone this is a little more challenging while in lockdown - some ideas that I have need a little more freedom of movement.  I guess at this stage I'm just looking for things that are outside of the zone.  Here are a few that I am thinking of:

Before work run - make two of those weekday runs before work.  This doesn't sound very challenging but I am sooo not a morning person.  Of course on the trail I could get up around 5 each day becuase we needed to get going at daybreak due to distances/terrain/heat considerations and I did it each day with no issue.  I also had accountability from my hiking buddy.

Learn something - I was really big into the 'life long learning' thing, but I've dropped off completely.  Find something that I can do online and commit some time to doing it.  Really vague.  Basically consider if there is someting that could form part of my next challenge.

Watch out for uncomfortable opportunities - and report back here.

• That's Metal 1

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

• Skywalker changed the title to Skywalker simplified and a little uncomfortable
11 hours ago, Defining said:

Oooh, I like this phrasing. May I borrow it?

Sure.

Reflecting on the hiking experience, I noticed that one of the things that was both challenging and rewarding was doing something 'uncomfortable' and then noticing when it became normal.  In my 'normal' life it is easy to not seek out these types of oportunities.

I'll be interested to see what uncomfortable opportunities you find @Defining

• Like 1

Skywalker

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

Logging food - done all week (except today).  I promise to log before the end of the day

Running:  2 x 5km done (well maybe one was only 3km due to a late start).  Weekend long run done 14km.  Both were before work - so that goal hit.

Gardening - 10 mins day done - played around with my compost - digging a few post holes for raspberry and passionfruit trellis.  Did some other 'tidy up' projects.  i do need to get my spring vegies in.  Kind of waiting for plant nurseries to reopen but I've got seeds that I should start with.  I'll do some of that next week.

Learn something - not done, maybe I'll spend some time tonight looking for some ideas.  The basic aim of this goal is to develop a plan - need to start somewhere.

Uncomfortable opportunities - a few things came up.  My Sister-in-law has asked me if I want to join her on a trail run near our home.  I haven't really done running with a 'buddy'.  Until now it's been a solo activity.  Maybe doing this might make it more enjoyable therefore something i will do more.  I do still finding running a bit of a chore.   

I have also booked in to give blood.  Not really uncomfortable, other than being just to lazy to bother.  Booked in now.  I will commit to keep this as a regular appointment.

Skywalker

Oh, I did that thing where I stopped doing some of the things I was planning to do and then stopped coming to the site to report in.

So logging has completely stopped and I'm not planning on picking it up this challenge.  Freeing myself from the obligation to concentrate on the things I'm likely to do.

Running has been OK.  I had about a week of feeling pretty ordinary.  I figure last week I did two runs - I didn't do the long run (in mydefence I was in the garden all weekend and most days I hit 10,000 steps at home.

This week I've done one run so far, but I've had two walks after work.  It' supposed to be raining the next few days.  I'll get the long run in this weekend (even if it is in the rain :( - it should stop long enough for me to at least get started.

Gardening - I have done at least something most days and spend three days over the weekend (we had a long weekend) in the Garden.  I've also added to the garden journal - some daily activity logging and observations.  I've decided to try a photo journal - tracking change over time based only on dated photos.

Learn Something - I've done a little collection of ideas.  I need to put a plan together - maybe this weekend as the weather is ordinary

Uncomfortable oportunities - I took up the offer from my SIL - I do need to reach out to organise another time and try and get something more regular started.  I gave blood last weekend - not particularly uncomfortable but it has been years since I did it and I've booked in my next appointment - so I'm counting this one.

Skywalker

On 9/19/2021 at 4:01 AM, Skywalker said:

Gardening - 10 mins day done - played around with my compost - digging a few post holes for raspberry and passionfruit trellis.  Did some other 'tidy up' projects.  i do need to get my spring vegies in.  Kind of waiting for plant nurseries to reopen but I've got seeds that I should start with.  I'll do some of that next week.

Two of my favorite plants. What kind of veggies were you planning to/ have you planted?  Also, how did the run with the SiL go? 

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current