So, I'm new here. I'm in the midst of a burnout, my health has gone bad (close to having metabolic syndrome), and I need some accountability so I figured I'd join the community to get some support and try to turn things around before it's too late.

I haven't worked out in... oh.... three years? I gained about 30 lbs since then (all fat). My diet isn't the greatest but it's not 100% horrible either. I mostly need to get back to a routine of exercising on a regular basis and make baby steps towards building strength and stamina again. My stress levels (because of work) are through the roof. I'm hoping working out can be an integral part of coping with the stress. 

Honestly, at this point, my only goal is to actually get off the couch (or computer chair) and be active every day. Even if it's just a ten minute walk. Even if I can only do 5 push ups. I just want this to become an engrained habit, and then I'll work on making the workouts more intense, etc. I'd like to go back to my "normal" weight (30 lbs lighter) in the future, of course, and be stronger, etc... but right now the goal is just to get moving. I'm hoping that having a support group will help me do this. 

Anyway, hi everyone :) 

• Like 6

Hey, Welcome! 

Hopefully, some exercise can help de-stress you.  If you haven't looked, there is a 5 week challenge section on the forums. This is the current one https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/1313-current-challenge-september-12-to-october-16/ It's a great place to setup some goals to work on. Plenty of people around with similar goals, and people to support you on the way :)  Baby steps are a good way to get back into some progress. This last challenge I started off with 5 minutes of walking each day. I'm up to 20 minutes now, and feeling much better.

Welcome @ArcticEngineer

9 hours ago, ArcticEngineer said:

Honestly, at this point, my only goal is to actually get off the couch (or computer chair) and be active every day. Even if it's just a ten minute walk. Even if I can only do 5 push ups. I just want this to become an engrained habit, and then I'll work on making the workouts more intense, etc. I'd like to go back to my "normal" weight (30 lbs lighter) in the future, of course, and be stronger, etc... but right now the goal is just to get moving. I'm hoping that having a support group will help me do this. 

That's a great start! I find that habit stacking really helps me get started with a new goal. Figure out something you do every day without fail and add your new activity habit on to it. Maybe it's walking out to get the mail - and going for a 10 min walk while you already have your shoes on. Or maybe it's doing 5 wall-pushups while you're waiting for your coffee to brew. Whatever makes sense to you. 

6 hours ago, Tateman said:

If you haven't looked, there is a 5 week challenge section on the forums. This is the current one https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/1313-current-challenge-september-12-to-october-16/ It's a great place to setup some goals to work on. Plenty of people around with similar goals, and people to support you on the way :) 

I definitely agree - check out the 5 week challenges! They're the perfect bite-sized amount of time to make some positive changes and track them in a way that actually feels doable. Plus tons of support on the boards! The current challenge ends this week, but you can take a look at the link Tateman posted to get an idea of what to do. Then next week is a break (Week Zero) but a lot of people start posting their new challenges early. The next challenge should officially start on 10/24. 

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Welcome, and I think making a low intensity habit before trying to dial up the intensity is a great idea. Plus even short walks can have significant benefits. Good luck!

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Welcome to NF! A new challenge just started up and it could be a great way to get some accountability and support. If you are unsure how to start there’s a thread that explains it all.

Exercise is definitely an awesome way to cope with stress and I think it’s great you are starting slow to really build up that habit! 

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}