Jump to content

Harriet's Lifestyle Healing Magic: Ketonics Module I


Recommended Posts

Mr Harriet was sufficiently worried about me yesterday that he brought me flowers and suggested we watch the Harry Potter movies together. He was never a fan--they came out when he was already grown up and he never read them.

I was feeling quite down because he was saying the keto diet didn't help that much (did I just imagine it??? on one hand, the anxiety was definitely improved. On the other, I don't think I had a lot more energy. I went to the gym twice in almost three months, which is sad) and I am running out of things to hope for. He said if I'm not going to the gym I should do home workouts more consistently. This is true. I have realised I can stick to difficult things for longish periods despite the tiredness if I just have some proof of progress, or a strong belief that something is helping/will help. I guess I've never really believed that working out at home could be effective enough, which is probably why I have been unable to stick with it. But I've also lost faith in my barbell workouts because I keep having setbacks and being too tired to even go to the gym. Make me believe that lower intensity workouts are very effective, please, and that not every lift needs to be an epic battle of pure willpower against the gravity titans.

 

Anyway, I think I need to develop combined approaches from now on. It's true that willpower alone cannot get me through the really bad fatigue indefinitely. But I also cannot just do as little as I feel like through moderate fatigue, because then I won't make enough progress to launch from this sticky baseline. I need faith. And I need to stubbornly focus on just a couple of things at a time, I think. Instead of repeatedly failing full schedules, I need to add the pieces sequentially.

 

I feel okay today. There has been no return of anxiety despite the higher carbs, but I do feel some muscle and joint pain. And I have been thinking about food and treats all day for the last few days. I decided to boil my potatoes instead of microwaving them because apparently that reduces the GI dramatically. I did however accidentally eat half a packet of dried mangoes before throwing out the remainder. I cannot be trusted with dried fruit.

 

I finally found a rheumatologist who will take me, and they offered me an appointment tomorrow, because someone else had cancelled (ruling out rheumatological diseases is the second last step in getting an official diagnosis of CFS/ME). Otherwise it would have been mid January. I also finally made an appointment with my house arzt about the reflux. Might as well see what she says.

 

Also, Mr Harriet and I agreed that I don't have to go to Munich for Christmas. The covid is too high at the moment, and I've had three trips in under three months and feel like it's just derailing my progress. My imaginary hypothetical progress that I'm sure will happen if there are no further trips.

  • Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

Link to comment

sweety, Im sorry you feeling so low rn. In my view keto works its wonders especially in the long term. and I believe I feel less fatigued on it. the crash might have been a carb thing ( it happens to me often and then all the sugar will be eaten)

am glad you dont have to go on trip to Munich. feel you with the covid numbers.

so my advice would be to go back to keto and do it for at least a year. this has helped me tremendously and whenever I go off it now I feel very weak and sluggish. But Im sure you will find a way for yourself! the expert for you is you.HUG! fearless

  • Thanks 1

be fearlessly yourself! :onthego:

Link to comment
49 minutes ago, fearless 2.0 said:

sweety, Im sorry you feeling so low rn. In my view keto works its wonders especially in the long term. and I believe I feel less fatigued on it. the crash might have been a carb thing ( it happens to me often and then all the sugar will be eaten)

am glad you dont have to go on trip to Munich. feel you with the covid numbers.

so my advice would be to go back to keto and do it for at least a year. this has helped me tremendously and whenever I go off it now I feel very weak and sluggish. But Im sure you will find a way for yourself! the expert for you is you.HUG! fearless

 

Fearless! It is nice to see you! ❤️ Yes, I think those couple of bad days were due to switching over from ketones to glucose. I think my brain liked ketones. I would like to go back to keto, but I need to solve the acid reflux thing. Two months--at some point there will be side effects for my poor teeth and throat and whatnot. Mr Harriet thinks it was the high fat causing the reflux. I think it might have been a lifting injury. But I'll see what the ärztin thinks. I'm definitely planning on going back to keto either permanently or in a cyclical, seasonal way if/when I solve the reflux.

 

39 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Hugs.Sorry you are not seeing the progress you would like to see.

 

Thanks ❤️ I may at some point have to start making plans on the assumption that I am *not* going to get a lot better and that this is what I have to work with. 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Harriet said:

I decided to boil my potatoes instead of microwaving them because apparently that reduces the GI dramatically.

 

The higher the temperature, and the longer the potato is at that temperature, the more the chemical structure alters. Consider baking them, it makes them delicious. :) 

 

I'm sorry you're not feeling great anymore. Are you factoring in seasonal changes and changes in daylight due to the season? Everyone has some kind of energy drop in the fall, and that could very well be contributing to your situation as well.

  • Thanks 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Link to comment
11 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

The higher the temperature, and the longer the potato is at that temperature, the more the chemical structure alters. Consider baking them, it makes them delicious. :) 

 

I know, lovely delicious baking. But that results in a higher GI, apparently. By taking water away and concentrating the deliciousness!

 

11 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

I'm sorry you're not feeling great anymore. Are you factoring in seasonal changes and changes in daylight due to the season? Everyone has some kind of energy drop in the fall, and that could very well be contributing to your situation as well.


Winter could definitely be contributing. I do seem to have less energy when it's dark.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

Link to comment

Based on your posts I think Mr Harriet is wrong, keto has helped a lot and you’re not imagining things. The improvements in anxiety have been quite dramatic and I’m convinced that it will at least indirectly help with the fatigue too. Even if your energy is not there, your ability to handle the fatigue and feel good about yourself and your quality of life despite it must count for something. I’m glad you’ve got an excuse not to go to Munich though. 😉

 

16 hours ago, Harriet said:

Thanks ❤️ I may at some point have to start making plans on the assumption that I am *not* going to get a lot better and that this is what I have to work with. 

Please read this imagining the most gentle way possible, but maybe? Not to say you’re doomed or things will never get better. I have hope for you. But there is the C-word in CFS. Perhaps you’d feel better with coming to terms with this fact, and focus on all the positive things that you can do. Then any improvement will be so much sweeter instead of something you fear because it might not last.
 

I was watching some paraclimbing this summer and there were some categories of athletes who were dealing with invisible disabilities with symptoms of extreme joint pain and fatigue. It was pretty awesome to watch, and there were a few things that stood out. 1. It must be super hard to deal with these. On the surface it might look like they do so little in comparison to e.g. people without limbs, or blind people, which is easy for the average person to imagine what it’s like to climb like that. 2. They might have disabilities but they are still badasses. 3. They pick their battles very, very carefully. For example, they might take the wheelchair up on stage despite being able to walk in order to save their precious energy for the climb. But then they go for it 100%. They don’t attempt to do everything. Bit of an extreme example, but maybe a mindset shift is something to consider, on top of your other experiments?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Based on your posts I think Mr Harriet is wrong, keto has helped a lot and you’re not imagining things. The improvements in anxiety have been quite dramatic and I’m convinced that it will at least indirectly help with the fatigue too. Even if your energy is not there, your ability to handle the fatigue and feel good about yourself and your quality of life despite it must count for something. I’m glad you’ve got an excuse not to go to Munich though. 😉

 

I think so, too. Having less anxiety absolutely helps with the energy, because anxiety is like having a hole in the petrol tank.

 

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Please read this imagining the most gentle way possible, but maybe? Not to say you’re doomed or things will never get better. I have hope for you. But there is the C-word in CFS. Perhaps you’d feel better with coming to terms with this fact, and focus on all the positive things that you can do. Then any improvement will be so much sweeter instead of something you fear because it might not last.


I was watching some paraclimbing this summer and there were some categories of athletes who were dealing with invisible disabilities with symptoms of extreme joint pain and fatigue. It was pretty awesome to watch, and there were a few things that stood out. 1. It must be super hard to deal with these. On the surface it might look like they do so little in comparison to e.g. people without limbs, or blind people, which is easy for the average person to imagine what it’s like to climb like that. 2. They might have disabilities but they are still badasses. 3. They pick their battles very, very carefully. For example, they might take the wheelchair up on stage despite being able to walk in order to save their precious energy for the climb. But then they go for it 100%. They don’t attempt to do everything. Bit of an extreme example, but maybe a mindset shift is something to consider, on top of your other experiments?

 

Damn, those climbers must have it difficult. I have only moderate fatigue and mild pain, and I feel pretty sorry for myself 😛 So I feel very sorry for anyone with extreme pain and fatigue. It's not like an injury or losing a leg because there is no healing but rather just ongoing suffering, which is exhausting in itself. Not sure how they manage, to be honest.

 

I want to achieve enough to have a meaningful life, and also to not suffer too much. There are times when it feels like I can have both these things, but they are frustratingly short and elusive and mysterious. Ah well. Even if none of the diets or supplements or whatevers cure or improve me, I can still work on the pacing and saying no to unnecessary things and building habits.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

Link to comment

I went to the rheumatologist today. She was confused that my doctor had sent me without any scans or blood tests, and said that, although she doesn't think I have any rheumatological disease, she cannot rule it out without the tests. So now I have to contact my doctor, ask her what tests she did with my blood, ask her to send the results to the rheumatologist, ring said rheumatologist and see what other tests need to be done, get those done somehow, possibly with more effort and appointments and phone calls, and then go back for another appointment. All for a condition I almost certainly don't have. Yay. On the bright side, there was little of the anxiety that would usually attend such an event (normally it would begin the day before, and be quite intense). I was a bit flustered by not understanding the German as well as I would like, and embarrassed at being sent to another specialist unprepared by my GP (again). But I'd say my distress was a mere 10% of normal. Hopefully the anxiety will stay gone with paleo+.

 

I did a proper workout at home for lower body. I did one yesterday with pulls. I walked. I read. I took a nap in my armchair and the large red cat sat on my stomach and purred for about forty minutes, which I'm sure has special healing powers. Having cut out all other treats, I am eating a fair bit of coconut butter. It's probably making me fat, and I probably won't replace it when it runs out. I might have some whole nuts instead.

  • Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines