Waanie keeps it simple

Waanie

Hi all! Long time no see ;)

Over the past few months, I've been pretty good in keeping my life on track, but without NF it was a bit lonely. I've basically stopped climbing because two big & social hobbies are too much right now (I also play the clarinet in an orchestra), but instead I've started following along Sydney Cummings on youtube. I've been hiking and biking, and some other exercisy things. My main goal this challenge is to keep my life as it is now, with plenty of exercise and more social time here :).

Goals:

1. Exercise 60 minutes per day, preferrably something with Sydney Cummings and yoga, but anything goes

2. Post here at least 3 times per week

Simple, yes?

• Like 3

Week 0

Monday: Sydney Cummings pull workout (53 minutes) + biking/walking for 47 minutes -> 100 minutes

Tuesday: Sydney Cummings legs workout (45 minutes) + biking/walking for 41 minutes -> 86 minutes

Tonight I will be climbing for the first time in forever! I don't have a regular climbing partner anymore, so if I go climbing it will be very incidentally and mostly for the social stuff. It seems that after 1.5 years of covid, I'm doing many things mainly for the social contacts... I guess there's nothing wrong with that, but it is totally different than me 2 years ago 🙃.

• Like 2

Hey Waanie! Welcome back 

I feel I have the starter version of your 60 minutes of exercise per day in my challenge lol. Simple challenge yes but great challenge. And honestly I would fine 60 mins a day very challenging! 

Have fun climbing! That will be nice for you. I feel I too would appreciate social events more if I didn’t have people in my life insisting on them multiple times a week. I do really miss my own out and about events but my 2 big ones were canceled this year again. 

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

2 hours ago, Rookie said:

Hey Waanie! Welcome back 

I feel I have the starter version of your 60 minutes of exercise per day in my challenge lol. Simple challenge yes but great challenge. And honestly I would fine 60 mins a day very challenging! 

Have fun climbing! That will be nice for you. I feel I too would appreciate social events more if I didn’t have people in my life insisting on them multiple times a week. I do really miss my own out and about events but my 2 big ones were canceled this year again. 

Thanks! I find that I generally function better on 1-2hrs of exercise per day, but I can imagine that it is a lot if you start from little. I'm now at 50 minutes before climbing and yoga, so today will be closer to 2 hours of exercise than 1 ;).

I don't have people insisting on social events multiple times a week, so I have to look for it myself more. It's such a pity that your events were cancelled; what were they?

• Like 2

Just a quick update to say that climbing was really fun again! I still find climbing during busy hours scary because of the lack of social distancing (and masks) and there being no check if everyone is vaccinated or tested. Today we were there during dinnertime, which meant that it was extremely quiet. We're going to check if we can find a day to climb at this time once a week :).

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Waanie said:

I don't have people insisting on social events multiple times a week, so I have to look for it myself more. It's such a pity that your events were cancelled; what were they?

The local fall country fair that is outdoors. Carnival rides, food, horse shows, livestock, random competitions (art, sewing, food, livestock, produce, etc). And the giant indoor horse convention/show/fair with lots of horse exhibits. 

Glad you got out climbing! That sounds like a nice time slot.

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

11 minutes ago, Rookie said:

The local fall country fair that is outdoors. Carnival rides, food, horse shows, livestock, random competitions (art, sewing, food, livestock, produce, etc). And the giant indoor horse convention/show/fair with lots of horse exhibits. 

That does sound really cool, I hope next year the events will be there again.

11 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Glad you got out climbing! That sounds like a nice time slot.

It is! I'm also glad that my colleague thinks the same about social distancing and such.

• Like 2

Hooray for going climbing!  I hope you can make it into the climbing gym more often, now that you've figured out when the gym is pretty empty.  It's also nice to see someone else who probably understands the pain of climbing too hard and then struggling to play your instrument because your fingers are too claw-like from the climbing.   ;) 

I know you're mostly yoga-ing, but I'm still here for the climbing and music!

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

11 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Yay, you're back! :) 

:D

1 hour ago, Nymeria said:

Hooray for going climbing!  I hope you can make it into the climbing gym more often, now that you've figured out when the gym is pretty empty.  It's also nice to see someone else who probably understands the pain of climbing too hard and then struggling to play your instrument because your fingers are too claw-like from the climbing.   ;) 

I know you're mostly yoga-ing, but I'm still here for the climbing and music!

Thanks! The pain of the locked-fingers is real. I'm often struggling with getting my pinkies flexible enough to play quickly, it's quite annoying. It's fun to do play though, so I just have to play slower pieces ;).

Yesterday I ended up with 124 minutes in total, and I'm currently at 74 minutes of walking and strength training. Time for some progress markers:

Week 0

Exercise: 🟢🟢🟢🟢🔵 🔵 🔵

Check-in: 🟢🟢 🔵

Today the soreness is real though, mostly in my fore-arms. I can't even make a fist without feeling it. Still, climbing was fun and next time my arms will be more used to it again :).

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Chesire said:

Yay, you're back!  Have fun climbing and playing :)

Thanks! I really should play the clarinet more :rolleyes:

Yesterday we played a murder mystery with friends. It was fun, but exhausting. Fortunately today I don't have anything planned. The weather looks great (which means it's probably cold), so I'll just go out for a hike soon. 

Week 0 challenge progress:

Exercise: 🟢🟢🟢🟢🟢 🟢 🔵

Check-in: 🟢🟢🟢 

• Like 2
On 10/21/2021 at 5:43 PM, Waanie said:

The pain of the locked-fingers is real. I'm often struggling with getting my pinkies flexible enough to play quickly, it's quite annoying.

Huh, I never would’ve thought about this! Though I can imagine it, I remember injuring my hand some time ago and not being able to reach the shift key on my keyboard. It made life surprisingly difficult. 😄

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Huh, I never would’ve thought about this! Though I can imagine it, I remember injuring my hand some time ago and not being able to reach the shift key on my keyboard. It made life surprisingly difficult. 😄

Maybe it's more mobility? Anyway, my pinkies are relatively locked. I can imagine that not being able to reach your left shift would have made life hard!

Today I was a zombie. Oh well. I still got my walk in, and my workout (even though it was half-effort), and my clarinet time. I didn't do any chores, but they'll wait for later. It's surprisingly hard to be a zombie on a day I don't *really* have to do anything. I guess it's all about choice? Anyway, I hate not being able to think clearly and being exhausted. Let's hope tomorrow will be better!

• Like 3
On 10/25/2021 at 4:23 PM, Rookie said:

A walk is still a walk my friend! 

I am hoping today is a bit clearer for you and better all around.

Thanks! And yes, a walk is very beneficial even if it is short and especially when I'm mentally tired. The past few days have been significantly better, although I'm still more tired than I'd like.

Monday was orchestra-day, which was fun :). I mean, how cool is it to play music from e.g. The Good, the bad and the ugly with a full (woodwind) orchestra? I do have to practice more though, since I can't play all my parts yet. Exercise was biking to orchestra, abs/cardio workout with Sydney Cummings and some random walking, which makes the total 94 minutes.

Tuesday was climbing day. My arms are still weak, but I really enjoyed myself. My footwork is still decent, although my hips also have become weak when climbing in a chimney-style route. The plan is now to climb every Tuesday directly after work with this group of people. I didn't check for how much time I climbed, but since I did over an hour of random walking and biking already, the total amount of exercise is well over 2 hours. 

Today is my day off. Which means I've had my clarinet lesson, and will get some groceries as soon as I get off the internet ;). I feel a bit lazy tired today, so not much is going to happen.

Week 0:

Exercise: 🟢🟢🟢🟢🟢🟢🟢

Check-in: 🟢🟢🟢 

Week 1:

Exercise: 🟢🟢🔵🔵🔵🔵🔵

Check-in: 🟢🔵🔵

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Rookie said:

I think playing anything with a full orchestra would be a pretty surreal experience!! 

I’m glad you will get to go climbing more regularly. How are your wrists holding up? Maybe all your yoga helped with them

I haven't had any problems with my wrists at all in the past few months. I guess they were just weak after all the resting after my fall last winter, but since they were at normal strength again I also haven't felt any pain. 

Playing in an orchestra is pretty great over all :). I'm not a very good player, mainly because I started as an adult, but I love it. I love the music, the people, the sense of community. I did choose the clarinet partially because it would be easy to find an orchestra that would have me, so I'm really happy with my choice.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Waanie said:

Tuesday was climbing day. My arms are still weak, but I really enjoyed myself. My footwork is still decent, although my hips also have become weak when climbing in a chimney-style route. The plan is now to climb every Tuesday directly after work with this group of people. I didn't check for how much time I climbed, but since I did over an hour of random walking and biking already, the total amount of exercise is well over 2 hours. 

That is a fabulous plan!  Yay for more climbing!  

1 hour ago, Waanie said:

Playing in an orchestra is pretty great over all :). I'm not a very good player, mainly because I started as an adult, but I love it. I love the music, the people, the sense of community. I did choose the clarinet partially because it would be easy to find an orchestra that would have me, so I'm really happy with my choice.

I'm jealous about the orchestra experience.  It's really hard to find a group to play with when you do piano (other than churches), so you end up just being pretty solitary.  It's one of the reasons I encouraged my son to do a strings instrument rather than following me with piano.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

9 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

I'm jealous about the orchestra experience.  It's really hard to find a group to play with when you do piano (other than churches), so you end up just being pretty solitary.  It's one of the reasons I encouraged my son to do a strings instrument rather than following me with piano.  

Have you looked at choirs? They usually have a pianist as well. It's not the same, but maybe it can be fun? If you'd be close by, we could play together, but I don't think you're anywhere in the east of The Netherlands ;). Maybe you can ask your son to do duets though? There's plenty of music for piano and clarinet (also easy and light music), so there's bound to be sheet music for piano and strings as well. Otherwise, you're never too old to learn! If you have the budget, you can look around which instruments are needed in a community orchestra/band close by and start taking lessons. Wind instruments aren't too hard to learn and lots of fun :).

13 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

That is a fabulous plan!  Yay for more climbing!  

Thanks! I probably should try to fit in a second time slot in a week, but I just don't have the energy yet. Once is already better than none :).

1 hour ago, Waanie said:

Have you looked at choirs? They usually have a pianist as well. It's not the same, but maybe it can be fun? If you'd be close by, we could play together, but I don't think you're anywhere in the east of The Netherlands ;). Maybe you can ask your son to do duets though? There's plenty of music for piano and clarinet (also easy and light music), so there's bound to be sheet music for piano and strings as well.

I live in the southwest US, so about as far from Europe as you can get.  I actually have dual citizenship with Luxembourg, so I could almost be a neighbor. ;)

Kiddo and I already do duets all of the time.  It's fun, but not quite the same thrill as playing with a full orchestra would be.

• Like 1

My tutorials:

On 10/27/2021 at 5:09 PM, Nymeria said:

I live in the southwest US, so about as far from Europe as you can get.  I actually have dual citizenship with Luxembourg, so I could almost be a neighbor. ;)

Kiddo and I already do duets all of the time.  It's fun, but not quite the same thrill as playing with a full orchestra would be.

That movie is adorable :). But yes, it is different than playing in an orchestra. I love the orchestra I play in because it's both social and has fun music, but I don't know if you have community orchestras like that in the US.

Today the weather was absolutely great. Sunny, 16 degrees, etc. I biked to the library after work, so I got in my exercise minutes easily. I also played the cralrinet a bit after dinner, so it was a productive day over all. I even folded and put away a load of laundry!

Week 1:

Exercise: 🟢🟢🟢🟢🔵🔵🔵

Check-in: 🟢🟢🔵

• Like 1

Stupid question but where does your orchestra play? I don’t know why but somehow in my head there’s only the super good professional symphonic orchestras playing in large venues, but I guess there must be other types  as well. Or do you play together mainly for fun?

As an aside, I absolutely love the moment when everyone’s tuning their instruments and it’s a complete cacophony and then BAM! The switch is flipped and magic ensues. 😄I don’t know why but I find it really cool.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Stupid question but where does your orchestra play? I don’t know why but somehow in my head there’s only the super good professional symphonic orchestras playing in large venues, but I guess there must be other types  as well. Or do you play together mainly for fun?

Well, our rehearsal space is a former primary school, and we haven't had any performances since Covid. Before that we did various smaller performances, e.g. at a park on Mother's day or on a Christmas market. We also sometimes have our own performances for a small entrance fee. We do play mainly for fun though :).

19 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

As an aside, I absolutely love the moment when everyone’s tuning their instruments and it’s a complete cacophony and then BAM! The switch is flipped and magic ensues. 😄I don’t know why but I find it really cool.

I love that moment with professional performances as well! We don't really have that at our orchestra, although you could argue that just before the start of rehearsal is a cacophony of sound ;).