• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BarefootDawsy

SCOUT Challenge 3 - Doing the Splits

This week we're going to focus on our splits. For those of you unfamiliar with this term, splits are just sections that your run/bike/swim is broken up into as a guide on how your are performing at different parts of training or a race.

Typically splits will be of equal distance and are expressed as a time.

For example, a 5k race can be split into 5 1km Splits.

This week, to get a gauge on how you're training, we're going to track some splits.

The rules are simple. Run/Bike/Swim any distance you like, and record your splits in a post on this thread.

If you haven't got a track nearby then feel free to use GPS or find landmarks on Google maps to figure out where your splits are. Of course you'll need a watch or stopwatch. There are dozens of apps for this if you use a smartphone.

As we will be gleaning valuable data on our training, anyone who participates will gain +1 Wisdom.

Good Luck!

I use a stopwatch at points of interest (perpendicular to stop signs) and the satellite view on runningmap.com to calculate my split distances. Works great.

Bike done! 3 miles 3, 2:33, 2:15

I have track tonight, but may use my half marathon splits later this week, and will swim on Thursday!

Bike done! 3 miles 3, 2:33, 2:15

I have track tonight, but may use my half marathon splits later this week, and will swim on Thursday!

Nine work ELJay! Good luck on the half :)

are we trying to get better times for each split, do a bell curve, or anything in particular, or just get used to examining them?

Awesome, this works out perfectly with the bike ride I did this morning.

Three descending, steady-state 6-mile loops of serene and beautiful Central Park, NYC at 5:30am (just beat the rain!): 23:00, 22:05, 20:53.

are we trying to get better times for each split, do a bell curve, or anything in particular, or just get used to examining them?

Just examining them....it's a chance to see what you're doing at each stage of your run and learn about a using splits as a tool

Awesome, this works out perfectly with the bike ride I did this morning.

Three descending, steady-state 6-mile loops of serene and beautiful Central Park, NYC at 5:30am (just beat the rain!): 23:00, 22:05, 20:53.

what would be a good distance to check splits for a bike ride? 6 miles??

I ran just over 3km yesterday: Splits at each 1km mark: 4:53, 4:49, 4:58

I had been out of action for over a week due to a mild muscle strain so I wanted to ease back in. Happy with the time and the consistency.

I woke up two hours earlier than usual and ran 15 laps of a one mile loop my house. Overall it took 2:55:21. Here is a graph of my splits. I think it is funny how I took my shirt off at the end of mile 7 and how it positively affected my pace.

15milesplits.png

what would be a good distance to check splits for a bike ride? 6 miles??

I think that would really depend on what type of distance you're interested in measuring. If I wanted to look at my consistency over a long ride and I typically do a long ride of, say, 30 miles, I might want to look at my 10 mile splits. If I were training for an Ironman, I might be more concerned with 30 or 40 mile splits. I guess my rule of thumb for a long ride would be splits of 1/3 or 1/4 of the total distance. I also track splits when I'm doing hill repeats, so obviously my split would be each repeat. In NYC, the big loop of Central Park is 6 miles and lots of people do workouts consisting of several loops of the park, so I know my expected splits depending on the number of loops I'm doing. The point is, there's no "good distance" to calculate splits, since splits are relative to the distance you are covering. You plan out the distance of your ride, then figure out what meaningful splits would be for that distance. The goal of measuring splits is to help you maintain consistency throughout your effort, and ideally you'd love to see negative splits (i.e. each split faster than the previous).

2.05 miles today, first mile in 10:21, 2nd mile in 9:56, last .05 at 10:54 pace. So ignoring that last little bit, negative split at a decent pace. I'm happy with that. Will post some updates if I manage any good long runs the rest of the week.

5/16 Run 3.2 miles total .5 mile splits on an out and back. Route is generall downhill out and uphill back.

4:14:00/4:08:37/4:02:31/5:21:67/6:55:79/4:31:00

at the 1.5 mile mark, I got rubber legged. Fueling issue. Trying something different. Didn't work.

5/17 Bike 20.6 miles total. 5m splits starting about .6 miles in. out and back, wind in face on way out

23:27.7/20:51.65/20:16.8/22.34.10

5/18 Swimming...I'll give it a shot. It's kind of harder to hit the watch for splits when swimming.

Bike split times 5km (I would have done further but i flipping hate the gym bike - maybe my next aim will be to get to 10!)

02:50/02:39/02:39/02:41/02:39

I'm amazed that I managed 5km in only slightly longer than I did 3.5km yesterday on the bike. The timings must have really added some determination to my ride! Also it was nice to be concentrating on the distance rather than thinking "just 7 more minutes and I'm stopping"! Also I wasnt sure about what setting I should have it on (didnt want it to be too easy) so I set it for random to try and emulate outside environments and changes of incline.

I ran 6.53 km last night: 6:00, 5:52, 6:15, 6:01, 6:01, 6:05, 6:07

Given that I haven't run in about a week and I wasn't pushing too hard, I reckon I could do the same distance consistently under 6:00.

Plus the 6:15 above was caused by a brief stop to adjust my clothing.

I ran 5 miles tonight. Not a particularly impressive time (quite the opposite), but I'm real sore from sprinting on Tuesday so I did a nice easy long run. Longest I've run in done in over a month though.

(comparison to PR on this route in parenthesis)

Run 5.00 miles outdoors, total time - 56:43.4 (+2:42.9), 5.3 mph avg

Gross Elevation Change (up only) - 351 ft

Net Elevation Change - 0 ft (loop)

Split 1 (@ 1.00 miles): 10:44.0 - 5.6 mph (+0:46.8)

Split 2 (@ 2.04 miles): 12:14.7 - 5.1 mph (+1:02.2)

Split 3 (@ 3.04 miles): 11:39.8 - 5.1 mph (+0:35.1)

Split 4 (@ 3.86 miles): 9:24.5 - 5.2 mph (+0:13.3)

Split 5 (@ 5.00 miles): 12:40.2 - 5.4 mph (+0:05.4)

Thank God. i read the title and came in here expecting you to be all in pain from trying to perform the splits.... All good.

Carry on.

ok, just had one of the worst runs of my life. distance: 3.71, total time 36:18 Mile 1: 8:40, mile 2: 9:17, mile 3: 9:55.

why was it so bad? because i decided to try out these new running head phones i got as a gift. i never run with music, since all my races don't allow it. so i was adjusting the ear buds as they fell out while i was running, not to mention whipping out my phone to change a track i didn't like.

oh yeah, my phone. i was plugged into my phone, which i was using to track my distance. i never get phone calls. ever ever. what happens today, the day i decide to use my phone to track splits and listen to music? my wife calls me. calls me so many freaking times. turns out she was pocket dialing me, but it infuriated me, because of course, last week we had a conversation on how she calls me 2-3 times in a row and doesn't leave a voicemail or a text message, because she "just wants to hear my voice." but when i see that many missed phone calls in a row, i get worried, and start panicking (she's pregnant, i assume the worst).

so i stopped my run, called her, and explain my frustration after she explains that i've been pocket dialed. i get a little mad, and just stop my run.

i'll track my splits on the my bike ride later this afternoon.

In my upcoming half, I'm hoping for a pace of 9:00 per mile. For my brain's sake, I ran 3 miles last night to get a better feel about what a 9:30, 9:00, and 8:30 pace feel like. Actual splits were:

SplitsChallenge.jpg

Obviously 13 miles is a lot farther than 3, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to keep up the 9:00 pace.