Mezzo Seeks Nourishment

Critical Role: Campaign 3 starts tonight!! So it's fitting that this challenge is inspired by Critical Role related media. :)

this is going to be dungeons and dragons GIF by Alpha

I often play lofi or jazz videos on our TV. It's a good compromise when Pumpkin wants to 'watch something.' He likes the music but after a couple minutes, he starts playing with his toys because there's nothing happening on the TV. He calls this one "purple music."

Critters who haven't seen Campaign 2: I don't think there are specific spoilers here but it does feature a character from Campaign 2. The character says random things throughout the video so you can probably deduce who plays the character and a little about the character's personality.  You've been warned. 😊

Spoiler

Mighty Vibes Vol 3: Chill Tunes to Drink Tea/Meditate To

Mighty Vibes Vol 3: Chill Tunes to Drink Tea/Meditate To - YouTube

On of the quotes from the video is "What better purpose in life than the nourishment of others?"

I've heard this quote many many times, but as I considered my goals for this challenge, particularly around food, this stuck out to me. 

Because it's not just me that needs healthy food, it's my whole family.

I have a LOT of thoughts around the word 'nourish' right now, that I'm untangling and I don't need to do that long form here. I think nourish might be my word for 2022, though.

Maintenance Goals

• Run 3x a week (pursuing a 30 minute 5k)
    I'm signed up for a Turkey Trot! I don't think a 30 minute 5k is achievable just yet, but I'm shooting for 35 minutes, which is about 5 minutes faster than my last official 5k. :)

•  NF Bodyweight Workout 2x a week (pursuing quality standard pushups and eventual pullup)
    Why mess with a good thing? I need to update my bullet journal progression chart.

Nourishment Goals

• At Least One Vegetable with Lunch and Dinner
    *Bonus Points for breakfast too.* I try to do this for dinner already, but consistently adding veggies to lunch will be a new thing for me.  I got some great recs at the end of my last challenge for new recipes to try.

• Weekend Meal Planning Session
    To help goal 1 succeed (and to help curb our grocery spending...) I'm going to try meal planning again. 

• Mediate 3x a week
    Maybe this time it will stick? 🤷‍♀️ Things are busy but I'm also getting into some good routines in other areas of life, so maybe it's time to set a specific meditation time in my day. Week 1 I'm going to make an effort to do it before I start my work day and see if that works. I've got some other time slots in mind, but that seems like the best one.

That's enough for one challenge, yeah? I'll post the journal spread for the challenge as soon as I do it. I'm excited for it. :D

• Like 3

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

EPIC Quest

6 hours ago, MezzotheLefty said:

(How do I embed videos??)

Odd that it didn't auto-embed? Usually when you paste a youtube link, it does it for you. I wonder if something's wrong with the editor. let me see as a test if it embeds for me

Spoiler

Yeah that looks like it worked. What browser are you using? or are you on a phone?

Why was I just suddenly possessed by the spirit of tech support?

1ab70c93-fce1-460d-8575-3bac5a666e96_tex

But in all reality, it might have something to do with "rich text support" in the browser you're using. We might be able to fix this.

• Like 1

I must control my THOUGHTS...
THOUGHTS become WORDS
WORDS become ACTIONS
ACTIONS define your CHARACTER
CHARACTER determines your DESTINY
MyFitnessPal | tumblr 

Good luck getting the meditation to stick. I also haven't managed it yet. And one vegetable sounds like exactly the right amount, really. Also, enjoy your running and bodyweighting!

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 10/21/2021 at 3:27 PM, MezzotheLefty said:

Nourishment Goals

We have similar goals.. also am hoping for the money saving fun. 

Feel you on meditation, three years to know "what I should be doing". How often I do it though is another story... 

And...

Episode 15 Hello GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Following along. 

• Like 1

Fresh Druid Graduate Lvl 0

"It’s not what we say is a priority, but what we actually DO that’s a priority.”

(Quote from J.D Roth/ @Steve's Article https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/priorities/)

Who disappeared for the first 2 weeks of challenge? This girl! :D

Week 1 was great. Week 2 was not. I'm not going to get bogged down talking about my crippling anxiety and the complete halt of challenge goal progress. It's a new week and I'm getting back on track.

On 10/21/2021 at 9:35 PM, Elastigirl said:

Nice challenge set up!

Thank you! :)

On 10/21/2021 at 9:43 PM, Happienumber said:

Odd that it didn't auto-embed? Usually when you paste a youtube link, it does it for you. I wonder if something's wrong with the editor. let me see as a test if it embeds for me

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah that looks like it worked. What browser are you using? or are you on a phone?

Why was I just suddenly possessed by the spirit of tech support?

1ab70c93-fce1-460d-8575-3bac5a666e96_tex

But in all reality, it might have something to do with "rich text support" in the browser you're using. We might be able to fix this.

I don't know what's wrong with it. I tried in Edge and Chrome.

THank you for embedding! and for helping trouble shoot. :)

On 10/22/2021 at 1:03 AM, Harriet said:

Good luck getting the meditation to stick. I also haven't managed it yet. And one vegetable sounds like exactly the right amount, really. Also, enjoy your running and bodyweighting!

Thank you!! Meditation is hard. 😕 

On 10/22/2021 at 12:18 PM, Epsilonte said:

I'm always loving a good food challenge. :)

I have brussel spouts and zucchini in the fridge now. It won't be fancy but it's counts as veggies! 

On 10/24/2021 at 7:08 PM, athousandwords said:

Following as always, even as I remain clueless about Critical Role. :D 

Thank you friend! ❤️ I'm heading your way to catch up after this!

Critical role knowledge not required here. ;)

On 10/25/2021 at 9:33 PM, Fairly_Bouncer said:

We have similar goals.. also am hoping for the money saving fun. 

Feel you on meditation, three years to know "what I should be doing". How often I do it though is another story... 

And...

Episode 15 Hello GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Following along. 

Hi! It's been pretty quiet around here but I"m happy to have you along!

Meditation is just not clicking... If you figure out the secret, let me know! I used to have a good routine going but this post-COVID (and kids) world routine is no longer a thing in my life... 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

EPIC Quest

20 minutes ago, MezzotheLefty said:

Hi! It's been pretty quiet around here but I"m happy to have you along!

Meditation is just not clicking... If you figure out the secret, let me know! I used to have a good routine going but this post-COVID (and kids) world routine is no longer a thing in my life... 🤷‍♀️

As someone who has dozens of challenges that were abandoned good job for coming back!

Honestly, there's no secret for meditation (that is the hardest part). For me is taking time to focus on breathing (and lately I ended up finding doing a practice like Qigong has made it easier...)

Fresh Druid Graduate Lvl 0

"It’s not what we say is a priority, but what we actually DO that’s a priority.”

(Quote from J.D Roth/ @Steve's Article https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/priorities/)

On 11/8/2021 at 5:19 PM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

How is everything going so far? 

Also interested to hear your thoughts on the new Critical Role campaign so far. :) 

dungeons and dragons nerd GIF by Alpha

Thanks for checking on me. ❤️ It's nice to know some one cares.  See CR thoughts below!

On 11/8/2021 at 7:17 PM, elisanns said:

Following, because I'm literally watching Critical Role in another tab right now.

Welcome! :D  Happy to have you along. 

CRITCIAL ROLE CAMPAIGN 3 SPOILERS BELOW!!!

Spoiler

Guys I'm loving this campaign so far!!!

I love the EXU crew is back. I know lots of critters didn't care for EXU but the each of the characters were so good. All together they were too chaotic and it made the story move in fits and starts. THis time around, Dorian  and Orym now have room to do more than babysit their chaotic friends. 

Fearne is amazing. I'm excited to see what Ashley will do with her, since she'll be full time this campaign. She's this fun contradictions of sweet naiveté and intensity and  impulsivity. It's fascinating. I think that earring is going to go back and forth between Fearne and Ashton and that's hilarious.

The only character I was meh on is Ashton because in Episode 1 he had to f-bomb literally every other word. It felt forced, like he was trying too hard to show that he's a tough guy from the wrong side of the tracks. But he's growing on me too. His interactions with FCG are good and the exasperated worldly character trying to help these clueless people do crime is more endearing.

Things to watch for are Laudna's Whitestone/ De Rolo connections and Imogen's powers plot line. I think she's going to have a big arc based on the dream she had. She's being chased by some dark entity and she has a sensitivity to death since she saw Betrand cross over. I forget how sorcerers work but they typically have some kind of magically lineage.

Not gonna lie, I kind thought that Bertrand wasn't going to be Travis' permanent character. He was over leveled and Bertrand didn't seem to fully participate in combat. An IRL friend of mine and I both inferred that he was more of a plot device than a  PC. BUT Travis did such a good job making him a nuanced and LIKABLE character. And after the end of episode 3, the group name has to tribute Bertrand, right? The Something Bells? Or Bell's Blank?

• Like 1

EPIC Quest

7 hours ago, MezzotheLefty said:

Thanks for checking on me. ❤️ It's nice to know some one cares.  See CR thoughts below!

You’re welcome, That’s what is awesome about the rebellion, we have each others backs.

CR thoughts:

Spoiler

I haven’t watched EXU yet, but now really want to. I tried listening to the first episode at work, but couldn’t focus on... actually working. 

Definitely interested in Laudna’s Whitestone / De Rolo family connections. Especially since it sounded like she was there during the Briarwoods arc. Imogen and Laudna’s friendship is also just so good. Very interested to see how their characters progress

I liked Ashton in episode 1 but I agree the cursing was a bit too much. I also admit I have a soft spot for barbarian PCs so....

Fearne and Dorian are precious and I love them. Orym’s also fun but I really vibe with Liam’s moody characters so I’m not too surprised about that lol. 

All of the characters are already so great. Definitely excited to see how the series progresses.

I think I caught on during Ep 2 that Bertrand wasn’t going to be Travis’ “real” character. He was just too separated (and paying for all of the things). But Travis played it great. It would be really cool if the group honored Bertrand with their team name.

4 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Welcome back, glad to see you around! No worries about a 2 week take off, we've all done it. How's your challenge going so far?

^ Also this. I’ve definitely skipped 2+ weeks before. Life happens, welcome back!

• Like 1

Dry January | 2022 Reading Challenge

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

On 11/11/2021 at 3:42 AM, Epsilonte said:

Week 2? What week 2? We don't talk about week 2. :D 

I'm not talking about Weeks 3 -5 either... 😅

I'm going to file this challenge as an incomplete. I'm still running the 5k tomorrow but I didn't do any training the last few weeks. I have excuses (bad allergy attacks, holiday preparations, and social commitments) but really I wasn't prioritizing these things like I initially wanted to.

I will give myself a small win in that we have eaten many more vegetables this month. :) Sweet Pea likes brussel sprouts and Pumpkin is slowly making friends with them again (he used to eat them like candy, no joke).  I didn't track and I know it wasn't every lunch and dinner but we did better in November than the last few months.

The not tracking is a problem though. My bullet journal is usually my sanity and I feel so disorganized without it. But I'm so far behind I keep avoiding it because I know it's going to take time to catch up...

Which I realize sounds soooooo stupid. It's not a project, I'm not getting graded, no one else looks at it... so why do I need to "catch up?"  I should just pick up where I am now and move forward! Good pep talk guys.  ;)

I'm hosting family for Thanksgiving and will hopefully have time to reflect on my goals for holiday challenge. 

• Like 1

EPIC Quest

Enjoy your 5k and Thanksgiving . More veggies for you and the kiddos is a big win.

Here to cheer on your pep talk. You enjoy bullet journaling, and how it helps you be organized. So, show it some love, and dive right in and restart it. Today's a new day!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I'm not gonna create a new challenge (I'll be back in January!!), but I did want to report back on the Turkey Trot.

I ran the 5k in 35:15 which was

1.  over 4 minutes faster than my last 5k (39:36 in August)
  2. only 30 seconds for my all time PR of 34:45

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't beat my PR and if I had fueled properly I probably would have... I didn't have time to eat before (poor planning on my part) and I actually got dizzy and fell with the finish line in sight! 😕 Bard paced me the whole way and it was a good time until the end. :)

December has been a break month. I'm not making much progress and I'm not beating myself up about it.

I'm really excited about Christmas this year. All the presents are accounted for (except one) and most of them are even wrapped. So that part is low stress. And this year we're going to my family instead of hosting the in-laws. My wonderful Bard bought me a journal for 2022 (it pretty and pink and has thick paper! 120g) and I'm slowly planning out how to fill it out.

Critical Role Campaign 3 spoilers below

Spoiler

Ok I'm halfway through episode 8 and Chetney is my new favorite. (No offense to Fearne) Every time he speaks, I crack up. He's so combative with poor Dorian and I love the voice Travis uses for him. 

I'm legitimately concerned for Orym. He keeps getting clobbered in the front lines. Which is to be expected because fighter, I guess. But I love him and don't want him to die. He just needs to hang in there for a few more levels so he can beef up some more. And he gets serious brownie points for his bromance with Dorian, especially defending him against Chetney.

I love what Marisha is doing with Laudna. This Cruella De Vil/upper crust speaking pattern with the macabre appearance and joyful enthusiasm is a combination that is working better than it has any right to. And is Deliliah Briarwood her freaking patron?!? Like, it wasn't confirmed (Ithink) but it was DEFINITELY implied, right? I'm hooked.

I love all the characters. I"m not really sure what the plot is just yet. and I like LordEsteross but I feel like he's a little... convenient? I'm a little suspicious, that's all I'm saying.

• Like 1

EPIC Quest

Congrats on the great run! Sounds like you are on your way to a new PR :)

New journals are so lovely, I hope you enjoy. 120g paper sounds amazing.

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. (I'm super behind on CR S3 :< I'll catch up... eventually.)

Dry January | 2022 Reading Challenge

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One