Zeroh tries to Not Disappear

So, it basically goes like this. I stop checking the forums for whatever reason. Then I stop tracking what I’m doing. Then I stop doing them. And that’s not what I want. I want to get stronger. I want to like my body better. I want my life to be more than work.

So, time to do some improvements. The first step is, what do I want? And I just did that. Next, how to get there?

Well, it looks that the #1 thing is to not disappear from the forums. Okay, when are good times to be here? There’s during my lunch break at work. Maybe when I wake up? I’m less likely to do it during the day or before bed. I had been doing it during my commute. But that was eating my very limited data. So not doing that.

Get stronger is pretty simple and straightforward. I have a kettlebell workout. I just need to do it.

Liking my body better is a lot more complicated. But I have been doing washing my face as a goal for a bit. And that does help.

Now, work/life balance… that’s where things get complicated. Because I don’t have a set schedule. Well, I do know my schedule for the next couple months. But the thing is, I’m essentially also on-call. If someone gets sick or has an emergency or asks for time off, I’m the first one that gets asked to come in. And upper management would rather overwork their workers than hire more people or create more positions. From what I’ve heard, they’re even okay with a lot of people getting overtime. Because they have a nice profit margin with the current set up. All of that to say, I am asked, but if I say no, there basically isn’t anyone else. And I like the people who run the locations where I do get called into. And I know they are already overworked enough without being short staffed. And that they are both looking around for new jobs seriously because of how they are being overworked. And on top of all that, I need the money. I’m finally getting to a point where I’m not behind on rent and important bills.

Though one thing that I’m enjoying doing now is streaming games on Twitch during my free time. Focusing on doing it just for fun. There’s definitely anxiety around it. Cause I’m very awkward and I stutter and say words wrong sometimes. (I’m not using a camera.) But it gets a little easier each time.

• Like 7

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

5 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

So, it basically goes like this. I stop checking the forums for whatever reason. Then I stop tracking what I’m doing.

Me Too Samesies GIF

Following along to watch you stick around! Sounds like you've got all the components you need - just need to find a routine that works. That can be hard with the pick-up schedules. Is there anything you can standardize? A morning routine whether you're going into work or not? Maybe where you get your KB workout done, wash your face, and check in on the boards?

• Like 3

Level 10 Ravenclaw Adventurer

STR 19.25 | DEX 12 | STA 22.75 | CON 38 | WIS 21 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 CURRENT: 12

13 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Is there anything you can standardize? A morning routine whether you're going into work or not? Maybe where you get your KB workout done, wash your face, and check in on the boards?

I’ve always done very badly with morning and evening routines. Part of the problem is, when am I leaving/coming home from work today? If I have a shift where I’m leaving at 11am, I have plenty of time. If it’s a shift where I have to leave at 6am… all I have time for is changing into my work clothes and eating while getting ready. And basically the same for an evening routine. If it’s a day where I’m getting home at midnight… well if I try to do anything except sleep, I’m going to fall asleep doing it.

With trying to balance things, it’s not only what day am I working. It’s also what time am I working. Here’s an example schedule: Monday, 8am-3pm; Tuesday, off; Wednesday, 3pm-9pm; Thursday, 9am-5pm; Friday, 3pm-9pm; Saturday, 3pm-9pm; Sunday, 9am-4pm. Which then might turn into, come in earlier on Wednesday, stay later on Thursday. And then if I’m really unlucky I get a text Tuesday morning, so and so “isn’t feeling well” today, can you come in? And I have a fairly long commute on top of all that.

• Like 4

On 10/22/2021 at 11:38 AM, zeroh13 said:

So, it basically goes like this. I stop checking the forums for whatever reason. Then I stop tracking what I’m doing. Then I stop doing them.

^ Same here.

5 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I’ve always done very badly with morning and evening routines. Part of the problem is, when am I leaving/coming home from work today? If I have a shift where I’m leaving at 11am, I have plenty of time. If it’s a shift where I have to leave at 6am… all I have time for is changing into my work clothes and eating while getting ready. And basically the same for an evening routine. If it’s a day where I’m getting home at midnight… well if I try to do anything except sleep, I’m going to fall asleep doing it.

With trying to balance things, it’s not only what day am I working. It’s also what time am I working. Here’s an example schedule: Monday, 8am-3pm; Tuesday, off; Wednesday, 3pm-9pm; Thursday, 9am-5pm; Friday, 3pm-9pm; Saturday, 3pm-9pm; Sunday, 9am-4pm. Which then might turn into, come in earlier on Wednesday, stay later on Thursday. And then if I’m really unlucky I get a text Tuesday morning, so and so “isn’t feeling well” today, can you come in? And I have a fairly long commute on top of all that.

Definitely feel you here on the crazy schedule difficulty.

I'm starting to find some success with the "fitness is a dial" mindset. It's not always perfect, but for me it's helping -- maybe there's something similar that would help you? Especially on times when you're schedule gets completely turned upside down on you last minute.

Here is what is working for me right now:

Challenge Level 1 - "Everything's crazy and I have no time" : 5 min walk, 5 squats, 5 pushups. Or maybe just do some easy stretches... Also drink a glass of water.

Challenge Level 2 - "I have some time, but not much": 15 min cardio or yoga or 1 set of NF beginner bodyweight workout.

Challenge Level 3 - "It's my day off, I have time and energy to do the things": Full workout of whatever program my ranger-brain is currently latched onto or a hike with friends

Sending good vibes in hope that you find something that clicks for you

• Like 4

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

2 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

^ Same here.

Definitely feel you here on the crazy schedule difficulty.

I'm starting to find some success with the "fitness is a dial" mindset. It's not always perfect, but for me it's helping -- maybe there's something similar that would help you? Especially on times when you're schedule gets completely turned upside down on you last minute.

Here is what is working for me right now:

Challenge Level 1 - "Everything's crazy and I have no time" : 5 min walk, 5 squats, 5 pushups. Or maybe just do some easy stretches... Also drink a glass of water.

Challenge Level 2 - "I have some time, but not much": 15 min cardio or yoga or 1 set of NF beginner bodyweight workout.

Challenge Level 3 - "It's my day off, I have time and energy to do the things": Full workout of whatever program my ranger-brain is currently latched onto or a hike with friends

Sending good vibes in hope that you find something that clicks for you

I think for me, more structure and less options works better. The more options, the less likely any of them will happen. And then hello indecision and procrastination.

I schedule my workouts. Of course there is a bit of rescheduling involved. But that doesn’t cause much of a problem, to a certain extent.

Honestly, I might just be at the point of: “I don’t really feel like working out, because what’s the point because I’m not seeing any changes. And it’s not like I have time, so it’s not really important.” 

And I can tell myself that changes take time. And if I don’t do it at all, then I’m guaranteed to not see any changes. And I can make time for it. And it is important if I want to get to where I want to be.

It boils down to, which one do I really believe more?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, zeroh13 said:

I think for me, more structure and less options works better. The more options, the less likely any of them will happen. And then hello indecision and procrastination.

I schedule my workouts. Of course there is a bit of rescheduling involved. But that doesn’t cause much of a problem, to a certain extent.

Honestly, I might just be at the point of: “I don’t really feel like working out, because what’s the point because I’m not seeing any changes. And it’s not like I have time, so it’s not really important.” 

And I can tell myself that changes take time. And if I don’t do it at all, then I’m guaranteed to not see any changes. And I can make time for it. And it is important if I want to get to where I want to be.

You are not the only one with this mentality.

b9bf8174eb2a6f1ae59ffd24aa60a914.gif

tumblr_mnd7dkezGD1r08o57o2_500.gif

• Like 1

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

3 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Fair enough. I wish you well in finding what clicks for you -- hopefully your plan to spend time in the forums gives a boost of inspiration in times when you need it the most.

• Like 2

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

On 10/23/2021 at 6:56 AM, zeroh13 said:

18 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Okay, take this with a grain of salt, because I've only ever worked consistent schedules... but if your schedule swings wildly and you do better with more structure, what about 2 routines: a long-morning and short-morning, and long-evening and short-evening. Create programs that work with 10 minute or 1 hour that make sense with your goals, then it's just assigning one of those two programs to your day, depending on how much time you have.

• Like 4

Level 10 Ravenclaw Adventurer

STR 19.25 | DEX 12 | STA 22.75 | CON 38 | WIS 21 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 CURRENT: 12

21 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I suspect which one you believe varies from day to day?

If it helps to look at it another way - you may not be seeing any changes, but standing still is better than going backwards. As much as it's important to improve, it's also important not to lose what you already have.

• Like 3

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map