Sorry for the late arrival. I knew what I wanted to do, but I'm kind of having a hard time squaring it with the general mode of daily practice and new habit formation and stuff like that. But whatever. If I wind up in a better place because of what I do here, it almost seems like de facto I had to overcome something, right? So a challenge it is.

For those of you who were around last time, hi! Welcome back! For those just tuning in for the first time, I'm Kishi, sole surviving Guild Leader of the Monks. We don't talk about what happened to the other two. Sadly, I'm not some sage figure, so I can't give you much in the way of answers, but I like to think I help with asking different questions.

Things last challenge took a turn for the dramatic. I got diagnosed with heart disease, the striking program I was going to got shut down, I had some tumult occur at work, and the training program - so meticulously programmed - collapsed on contact with the real world. Much of last challenge was spent picking up the pieces and carrying on, and I'd like to think I did so relatively well.

And the situation has changed. Since then, I've started on a low carb Mediterranean diet, but it's low carb enough to really be a Keto Mediterranean diet. Interesting results so far - my waistline is shrinking (probably water weight) and I've got a lot of slow burn energy as documented by rolling for about an hour and a half without any dip in energy or performance. Which is interesting, but for all I know could just as easily be chalked up to more technical rolling and generous rest. I have designs on veganizing this at some point, because it sounds like a challenge, and vegan diets are tied to good outcomes for the heart also, so this sounds like a real possibility, but given all the everything that's getting thrown at me this round, that's more likely something that's gonna phase in over time.

Because a lot's happening, y'all! I'm going back to the office; I misspoke when I said last challenge it'd be 11/8; it's actually going to be 11/15. And it's a phased re-entry, so over the course of three weeks, I'll be adding a day, so first week will be one day, second week two, and so on until the 4th week, when I just go back to fulltime. Why's that complicated? Because one, the holidays will be starting around that time, and two, I'll be starting up at a new school, meaning new logistical challenges to overcome.

The theme this time is about balancing the books, because I've decided I want to upgrade my computer. I took a look at the new school and I realized that there's only one no-gi day there, so I'm basically done as far as no-gi grappling attire is concerned. But before I start putting away for a new computer, I want to make sure that my finances are in good order. I think I've got some expenses coming out that I don't need to, and there's no reason to keep throwing money away. I also want to go further in my meditation and to make time/space for my writing - hence, balancing the books.

Goal 1: Meditate

Bumping up to 9 minutes.

Goal 2: Balance the Books

Might wind up being something of a gimme. Ideally, find one thing a day and do something about it in my finances, whether that's regular savings or finding and disposing of an extra bill I don't need to pay anymore. I really don't think I've got that much to do, but honestly, if this makes the challenge easier for once I'll take it.

Goal 3: Write

Gotta get back to butt in chair time. It's worth doing. Just gotta do it. At this point, just gonna focus on getting to my writing; no word count goals just yet, just carving out space.

And, uh, yeah. That's really it this time. Let's get to work.

• Like 7

Goal 1: 2/2

Goal 2: 1/2

Goal 3: 1/2

So, not much to report really. I missed a couple of goals on the first day just because I hadn't really figured out how I was going to approach them. I did manage my meditation, though, and yesterday carried off without a hitch.

Training-wise, everything carried off pretty well. Sunday was a handstand/TGU day and Monday was a KB snatch day. I hit on the idea of using my shadowboxing and drills as a warm up for my work, and it worked! Monday in particular was notable because instead of getting to the end of the day and feeling like I should but not wanting to, it was just... done. And I could coast to the end of the day. Which is something I think I'm going to want when I'm back on the mats - my vision is getting home, doing my static holds, hitting the showers, and getting to work on my cooking. Really in that order. We'll see how that goes, but I'm hopeful.

Nutrition-wise, things have mostly been good. I've had a few dalliances - one on Tuesday with friends, one this past Friday night when I went to see Dune; popcorn was offered, and I indulged. (Dune was good, by the way. It's not quippy, and it's more focused on its visual language rather than its characters coming out and saying "THIS IS THE THEME. THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD CARE." Very understated for all its bombast, and it left out a key part about a major plot point that I think hurt it, but, eh. Dune's frigging hard to do right on the big screen, because it's about psychology and scope, but I think this is the best job I've ever seen done).

The other dalliance was last night due to a lightning storm. I would have had to use water to wash dishes, and apparently per the CDC that's dangerous in a storm, so no dishes for me. I just wound up eating pre-packaged low carb snacks, which wasn't great. OTOH, I took measurements today since tonight will be another dalliance (the perils of carb-loving friends), and I'm down ~5.6 kg and lost some body fat along with the water. That's good news. I suspect the initial flush is part of that, and I suspect that things will grind back down to a halt again, but that'll be a problem for when it happens.

Otherwise, not much to report. That's the thing about a writing and finances goal - stuff happens, but there's not much major to it.

• Like 4

Nice goals, as always.

On 10/24/2021 at 11:11 PM, Kishi said:

And the situation has changed. Since then, I've started on a low carb Mediterranean diet, but it's low carb enough to really be a Keto Mediterranean diet. Interesting results so far - my waistline is shrinking (probably water weight) and I've got a lot of slow burn energy as documented by rolling for about an hour and a half without any dip in energy or performance. 

Could you share the resources for your low carb Mediterranean diet? 

My recent blood test showed my cholesterol and LDL are too high. My doctor recommended a Mediterranean diet, but did not point me in a specific direction to find it.

• Thanks 1

Level 75  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

Could you share the resources for your low carb Mediterranean diet? 

Uh, if you're looking for books, Denise Minger's Death by Food Pyramid is a good and fun one. She basically winds up comparing and contrasting Paleo, the Mediterranean, and Plant-based Diets and ultimately advocates people doing what works for them. Otherwise, here's as good a starting point as any.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Goal 1: 4/4

Goal 2: 3/4

Goal 3: 3/4

Another smooth day as far as goals go.

Training, surprisingly, took a hit. I've been getting enough sleep, but I've been indulgent and lax on my bed time, so I'm getting up right before work and logging on. I told myself I'd get a bit done and then go train, and that didn't happen; I got into Work Mode and there was a meeting and there was all kinds of stuff I had to get managed, which I did! But I pulled OT and at the end of my day I had to go and get groceries and get the garbage out and do chores and by the time all was said and done, it was Late O'clock and I just didn't feel like managing the Tonic Effect and cooking enough to get down on time.

Heh. Seems my recovery game is rather on point these days. This is a good win in the long run, but it's not great in the short run. OTOH, knowing that I need to train before I work is actually a very useful point of data for purposes of logistics and time management. I kind of feel like a lot of my issues with distractibility over the course of the day are kind of tied to my desire to get that done; I notice on days when I do get that done, my focus shoots through the roof and it's really easy for me to hit the targets my job wants me to hit.

Yesterday also marked my first instance of cutting an extraneous expense. That felt good. I could totally check my statements at the end of the month and just make a thing of it, but there's something about the daily check and finding discrepancies between my expectations and reality that makes the work easier for me. It works.

Also, while I'm not writing a ton when I sit down, I do find that my old observation about how easy it is to slip into writing still holds. I have a plan and I always end in the middle of a sentence, and between those two things

it works out. :)

Anyway, no reason not to assume that today won't carry off well, but it won't carry itself.

• Like 4

Sorry for the late arrival. :) 

On 10/25/2021 at 12:04 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Something something, best laid plans, contact with the enemy and gods laughing.

Yep. This.

Always.

• Like 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

Looks like you're off to a pretty good start!

Never heard the idea of stopping writing in the middle of a sentence to help keep the flow going (that's how I interpreted what you said about that). I may have to give that a try because some days it's real chore to get my brain going in the direction I want it to (in all things, not just writing things, but writing things especially)

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge