It's only a matter of (chibi) going

So the goal for this week was 385 IM and I did 437 and now I'm tired!

I think I've worked hard this week.
I did two short leg workouts, 2 long full body workouts, a short body weight workout and 7 tabatas.
That's a serious week of exercise, I think. So I'm going leave the goal at 385IM, but next week I'm walking
26km with my friend in the "pioneer women's walk", so I'l only do tabatas for the other 6 days and hopefully
get some mojo back, because I'm tired!!! 
Tomorrow I have to go the dentist and uni so that will give me some incidental IMs.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Dang! That's a lot of activity!

It's really neat and educational  reading about how the IM data  reflects what you do. 

• Like 1

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

So as planned I did the 26km  Pioneer women's walk on Sunday. Ugh! That made about 935 intensity minutes for the week.
There is a serious flaw in the intensity minute goal because today it reset to zero and I have to do another 55 minutes when I ache all over.
So I went to the shops twice and that gave me 141, so I can have a nice rest tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 4.09.04 pm.png

• Like 1

So I got my 385 IMins done. I think I'm still recovering from last weeks epic walk. My husband says when he (race) walks 20+km, he has to take 2 weeks to recover.
I only did 4 x 4 minute tabatas.
Walking to the audiologists and back twice.

Big full body workout.

Auxiliary workout and 

40 mins of brisk walking today. A new maximum heart rate of 189!  But no change in my VO2Max.

I would have preferred that I had done 3 weights workouts, but Oh well. 

My watch is telling me I'm tired today and tomorrow I have to go into Uni, so that will count as an active recovery I think.

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 12.22.44 pm.png

• Like 2

So last week I pretty much dropped the ball and fell into a dark pit of rage and despair. It suddenly occurred to me how much I've lost because of useless, self righteous doctors.
So I only did 97 intensity minutes!! I only did 2 4 minute tabatas and that's it. Which shows how indolent I am when I'm not consciously exercising and also shows the value of the watch. 

But I'm back in the game and did 84 just going to the optometrist and back to get my pre-treatment eye test (because the treatment can destroy your peripheral vision. So happy about that!)
The rules for 4th covid vaxes changed last week, so I thought I'd see if I could badger the pharmacist into giving me one and Yay! She did! "Frequent hospital visits" seemed to be the key words. So now I should do my tabata and stretching before the effect of the vaccine knocks me around.

And the really good news is mh VO2Max has gone up by 1. It is now 36. Just 1 below the "excellent" range for my age. And gives me an effective age of 35....which makes you wonder, if the average 35 year old feels like an old woman with a lung full of slimy mycobacteria, what does the average 56 year old feel like? I hate to think! But yay for the watch that tells me all the exercise has been worthwhile!!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I've done 390IMs this week which included:

• 2.7km walk to the optometrist and back
  • A bit of brisk shopping
  • 5 x 4 min tabatas
  • 1 Full body workout 
  • 1 Accessory workout

That doesn't seem like enough for someone who considers they're "trying to get fit" so I'll bump the goal up slightly next week.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Where have I been? 

Well two weeks ago I was cruising along to get my 400IM goal and then I started my treatment!! OMG! 
For 9 days I felt so sick and sorry for myself, tired and nauseous and then on Monday, like a miracle I woke up 
feeling almost normal! OK, my pee still looks like orangeade and as I write this I feel a tad sick but, I'm OK.

The bad news is, my daughter has covid and that presumably means I have covid. Do you think that South Australia

might now be the covid capital of the world? Let's see ... our population is about the same as West Virginia's and
we're reporting 10x more cases a day... so that's a yep.  Although, we may be better at reporting cases. 

• Wow 1

That feeling of "I'm OK" after being sick is so sweet! Like the whole body is sighing in relief. Sounds like a LONG 9 days. 

I'm sorry you probably have Covid. I hope you both get past it soon. 

Interesting statistic! I was raised in WV so I appreciate the perspective. Even flattened out and stretched, WV would take up very little SA area!

"You're not in it to get Most [Recognized Rebel Ever]. You're not in it to be eligible for prizes. You're in this because you made a promise to yourself and you refuse to let you down. Walk the talk. And even when you don't talk much, make the walk so powerful that it leaves no room for questions - from inside or out." -note to self Str7.5 Dex6 Sta5.7 Con11.8 Wis10.4 Cha2 Intro post~Challenge 1~Challenge 2~Challenge 3~Challenge 4~Battle Log 1 Ranger Level 3

On 6/24/2022 at 12:40 AM, Emissary2Ornj said:

That feeling of "I'm OK" after being sick is so sweet! Like the whole body is sighing in relief. Sounds like a LONG 9 days. 

I'm sorry you probably have Covid. I hope you both get past it soon. 

Interesting statistic! I was raised in WV so I appreciate the perspective. Even flattened out and stretched, WV would take up very little SA area!

My husband and I went for PCR tests and we're negative!! Bloody miraculous! My daughter can come out of hiding on Tuesday. She's pretty miserable. 
Australia is roughly the size of mainland US and we have 6 states and two territories so all our states are bigger than Texas. >^_^<. Not really, Victoria and Tasmania are smaller. :)

• Like 1

YES! Wahoo!!!! for negative tests. Hope your daughter hangs in there!

Australia is huge. And there are lots of things bigger than Texas. (State pride is a very interesting subject to unpack and think about from a philosophy/thinker's point of view. I was raised with a lot of it, and it's been nice to examine it, decide which is actually mine vs what was learned, and gradually detach from it. Especially given how state lines came about, and the incomplete version of US and state history we were taught versus what actually happened and how it actually affected people. I love some qualities of the "state" I was raised in, and I hope to settle in similar geography. Lines on a map may have significant political history, but usually the people they divide aren't that different.)

On 6/26/2022 at 2:22 AM, Emissary2Ornj said:

State pride is a very interesting subject to unpack and think about from a philosophy/thinker's point of view. I was raised with a lot of it, and it's been nice to examine it, decide which is actually mine vs what was learned, and gradually detach from it. 

My mind was opened to the strangeness of the concepts of country and state by Yuval Noah Harari in Sapiens. Very interesting book.

• Like 1

So last week I did 459 Intensity Minutes. Yay me!

Mon: Tabata and Stretching

Tues:  Full Body 3weights

Wed: A bit of aerobics

Thur: Walk looking for holly for the solstice and found absolutely no berries!

Fri: Rest which is a fancy name for too lazy to do anything

Sat: Auxillary + Tabata and Stretching
Sun: Full Body 1

Not enough stretching but still a good weeks worth of exercise. I'm going to up the goal to 420mins because that will be a nice round 60 mins / day.

• Like 1

So this week 430IMs. I'll up the goal to 440 tomorrow.

A lot of that was incidental walking, which doesn't get recorded as activities on the watch.

Mon: Tabata and Stretching

Tues:  Full Body 2 weights

Wed: Rest which is a fancy name for too lazy to do anything

Thur: Walk to the Doctor's

Fri:   Tabata and Stretching

Sat: Another rest!!

Sun: Accessory 2 + Tabata and Stretching

So not much in the way of weight training and 2 rest days! Not enough tabata. There was lots of walking on Thursday because I went into the city as well.
And a bit of shopping walking on Saturday.
Next week will be a lot of incidental walking too. Back to the doctor's tomorrow because I got the day wrong this week!! And twice into the city.
I guess it's all exercise but it feels a bit naff.

• Like 1

So somehow or other I managed to do 517 intensity minutes this week! The workout this afternoon was hard. 
I think I hadn't had a puff of puffer this morning. And I'm only clearing my lungs in the mornings because I'm collecting samples.
Gotta let the goop build up in between samples. Ick! 

So this week:

Mon: Walk to the doctors and back and walk to the audiologists and back.
Tues: Rest

Wed; Full Body 3

Thur: Rest
Fri: Lots of incidental walking running around the city
Sat: Rest
Sun: Full Body 1

I've found a new app to geek-out over; runalyze! It shows me things that the watch records but garmin won't show me because I only bought the cheap watch, like training effect and recovery time and recovery heart rate. Marketing eh? 
And it tells me if I'm training too hard and how much effort I should make tomorrow. According to runalyze I'm doing just dandy, but it doesn't know about the incidental exercise, only the recorded activities.

So I'll up the intensity minute goal to 460 but next week we will be travelling so there will be lots of walking, starting tomorrow when I walk my sputa up to the pathology lab and then drop off the key at the cat sitters.

A lot of walking this week, none of which had a training effect higher than 3, so we'll call that active rest. Got to 482 IMs. I'm going to leave the goal at 460 for this week, because I think
I will struggle to get that done.

And I bought a blood pressure monitor! At one point I measured 160/97!! I've stopped my inhaler incase that is the problem and now I measure myself 2x / day. So far I think I've learnt how to trick the thing into reading about 10mm lower, but I doubt it will go lower. So taking fish oil, which I'd been neglecting, and reducing salt in diet and we will see what happens!

giphy.gif

So, my blood pressure has gone to 116/75 at it's lowest, which is "optima". Today it was 126/81 compared to 149/100 a week ago. 
But I really missed the effect of my puffer when I went for a walk today. :( One more week and then I'll have a good handle on my BP
and I'll add the puffer back in and see what happens.
I got my 460IMs done but it was tough. I couldn't exercise on Monday and stupidly took a day off on Tuesday which meant 5 days of doing 90IMs
a day. Now I'm tired and runalyze is telling me I'm overreaching and should have a rest tomorrow. So I'll leave the goal at 460IM and maybe just
do 5 mins tabata and stretching tomorrow.

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 1.42.09 pm.png                     giphy.gif

Kept the goal at 460mins and only managed 444 but that was a lot of exercise.

460 seems to be the sweet spot between a bit of a stretch and too hard, so I think I'll keep it there. I can't really
afford to have a rest day or the next day I have to do heaps of exercise!  Again I took two rest days this week and had
to work like mad to make it up on the other days!

Runalyze seems to agree. It's telling me to rest for another 8 hours and that's pretty much what I'd planned. Also,
with this many IMs I get the full weeks worth of the workout plan I'm doing done. That will probably not be the case
this week because I'll get IMs going into the city on Wednesday.
Runalyze also says my workouts are monotonous. How rude!

Mon: Rest

Tues:  Full Body 1 weights

Wed: Accessory 1 + 5 min tabata + aerobics

Thur: Rest

Fri: Full Body 2 weights

Sat: Accessory 2 + Tabata and aerobics
Sun: Full Body 3 weights

Blood pressure is still OK and I've now got a little doo-hickey for measuring my peak expiratory flow. That's supposed to be for asthmatics
to tell them if they need extra puffs but I want to see if all this exercise will improve my lung function and PEF is the only thing I can easily 
measure. I'm also using a powerbreathe to improve my inspiratory muscles.

Smart_Peak_Flow_On_Phone-e1553757909781.  Plus-Light-600x600.jpg

Your approach might be the most technical I follow. Pretty nifty!I think it's smart to use the data to corroborate what you're feeling. And wow, have inspiratory exercise thingies changed over the years. (I assume it serves the same function as the RTs had patients use when I was a nurse so many years ago.)

Edit: just googled them, and the incentive spirometers haven't actually changed too much, according to the image search results. But your doo-hickey is new to me! Interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emissary2Ornj said:

and the incentive spirometers

Ah but have you seen the airofit-pro? It costs a bomb, but it will measure a bunch of lung function metrics and track them for you, as well as give you training sessions that gives you feed back as to how hard you're blowing or sucking in real time. You can imagine that I'd love to have one, but the cost!! One pro-skater on youtube says that after a year of using airofit his vital capacity improved by 25%!! 

airofit-pro-breathing-exerciser.jpg

• Like 1

So another successful week.

I did  4hr 49min of exercise.

M: Tabata + aerobics
T: FullBody Weights
W: A lot of running around town
T: Hip thrusts and glute bridges
F: Full body 2
Sa: Curtsy Lunges and Good Mornings
Su: Full Body 3

Which brings me to the end of the 6 week workout plan I was doing, which obviously took longer than 6 weeks, but who cares?
And today i took out the red rocket in the first time in *ages*. It must be before I was diagnosed and got all the steroids etc. because
my lungs are sooo much stronger than they were. I just whizzed around those hills easy peasy. OK, the motor on the bike did the whizzing,
but I could still feel the difference! And that was a nice little workout with a training effect of 3.1 due to the fairly high heart rate throughout.

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 12.57.51 pm.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-08 at 12.57.02 pm.png

• Like 2

Another 5 hours of exercise this week and 570IMs. Yay me!

So it seems that 3 big weights workouts are totally doable in a week + a little bit of cardio and incidental exercise.
Doesn't look like the weather is going to be very nice any time soon, so the cycling will have to wait a little bit longer.

• Like 2

Your progress is great! So nice that you're getting to do things you enjoy. 

• Like 1

So after declaring that three big weights workouts in a week was totally doable, I fell on my face last week and only got 2 done. I was so very tired by the end of the week! So I've been catching up on sleep.

giphy.gif
I haven't done any exercise this week and feeling guilty but less tired. I think I'll focus on easy cardio type things and get that third weights workout done...maybe tomorrow.
I'm continuing with powerbreathe exercises twice a day and now I have my husband doing them too. LOL!