Looking for friendship, accountability buddies, and advice.

Hello! I was recommended to join the forums by discord users Slyph and HueyLewis. (Shout out to both of them.)

I signed up for e-mails from Nerd Fitness years ago but never reached out to the community until now.  After aimlessly exercising for months and finally investing in an accurate scale I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what the heck I am doing. lol

I was very fit from when I was a teen until recently in my early 30s when I stopped working in Labor. (Which was my main source of exercise)The pandemic hasn't made my situation any easier but I learned that I need to stop making excuses and start grinding. The book "Can't hurt me: By David Goggins" helped pull me out of my depression but as an extrovert I feel that making new friends is necessary to grow and remain positive.

I have an absolutely amazing  girlfriend that is extremely supportive but I feel like I should be trying to reach out to other people as well. I haven't made many friends during adulthood due to trauma and unfortunate circumstances. Plus it's difficult to find other adults that enjoy Anime, Comic Books, podcasts, etc in the geek way that I do. (Even though millions of adults consume these products every year. lol.) Any help would be appreciated. I'm really lost. The only thing I am sure of is proper form when lifting weights due to doing it in high school. My girlfriend also taught me how to use the nutrition fact labels to spot "hellthy" foods. I really want to surprise her and get in the best shape of my life. I recently started an accountability Instagram account and I use life sum to count my calories. 

I game but have decided to put gaming down back in August to focus on my healthy.

I love action games like Devil May Cry, Uncharted, Yakuza, and Spider-Man.  I also really dig retro games. I'm in love with Batocera and RetroArch and I'm willing to help anyone that's interested in learning. I love designing home theater computers.

My user name on Playstation and Steam is also Styleshift. I have a switch but rarely use it. Thanks for reading this lengthy message!  Have a great day. :D

IMG_20201202_142140496.jpg

IMG_20201202_102042121.jpg

20180605_022331.jpg

20180605_022304.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Styleshift said:

Hello! I was recommended to join the forums by discord users Slyph and HueyLewis. (Shout out to both of them.)

I signed up for e-mails from Nerd Fitness years ago but never reached out to the community until now.  After aimlessly exercising for months and finally investing in an accurate scale I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what the heck I am doing. lol

I was very fit from when I was a teen until recently in my early 30s when I stopped working in Labor. (Which was my main source of exercise)The pandemic hasn't made my situation any easier but I learned that I need to stop making excuses and start grinding. The book "Can't hurt me: By David Goggins" helped pull me out of my depression but as an extrovert I feel that making new friends is necessary to grow and remain positive.

I have an absolutely amazing  girlfriend that is extremely supportive but I feel like I should be trying to reach out to other people as well. I haven't made many friends during adulthood due to trauma and unfortunate circumstances. Plus it's difficult to find other adults that enjoy Anime, Comic Books, podcasts, etc in the geek way that I do. (Even though millions of adults consume these products every year. lol.) Any help would be appreciated. I'm really lost. The only thing I am sure of is proper form when lifting weights due to doing it in high school. My girlfriend also taught me how to use the nutrition fact labels to spot "hellthy" foods. I really want to surprise her and get in the best shape of my life. I recently started an accountability Instagram account and I use life sum to count my calories. 

I game but have decided to put gaming down back in August to focus on my healthy.

I love action games like Devil May Cry, Uncharted, Yakuza, and Spider-Man.  I also really dig retro games. I'm in love with Batocera and RetroArch and I'm willing to help anyone that's interested in learning. I love designing home theater computers.

My user name on Playstation and Steam is also Styleshift. I have a switch but rarely use it. Thanks for reading this lengthy message!  Have a great day. :D

IMG_20201202_142140496.jpg

IMG_20201202_102042121.jpg

20180605_022331.jpg

20180605_022304.jpg

Wow, so you read the book too!! Which chapter/part was your favourite??

Welcome here! Hope you'll find many friends and fullfill all your goals. I always thought the best foundation of social life is family + partner + real friend(s). If one of the pillars collapse, you can somehow remain standing. 

I lost some weight recently, I am not an expert, but can give you some advise if you'd like too. The method worked for my husband too, he is losing weight currently.

Btw, I think it's really lovely you want to surprise your girlfriend, so sweet!

Veni, vidi, vici. 

10 hours ago, XBlackWidowX said:

Wow, so you read the book too!! Which chapter/part was your favourite??

Welcome here! Hope you'll find many friends and fullfill all your goals. I always thought the best foundation of social life is family + partner + real friend(s). If one of the pillars collapse, you can somehow remain standing. 

I lost some weight recently, I am not an expert, but can give you some advise if you'd like too. The method worked for my husband too, he is losing weight currently.

Btw, I think it's really lovely you want to surprise your girlfriend, so sweet!

Thank you for responding to my post XBlackWidowX! :D

🤔 Hmm. My favorite part of Can't Hurt Me was "Taking souls". I really relate to his childhood trauma but the reason I follow him is because he stop letting his own personal fears about himself and what other people think get the best of him.  The Navy Seals Hell week is when "Goggins" was born. I've always thought to myself that what if a person lives their whole lives and they never discovered their potential? 

What is your favorite part of the book? Did you have an opportunity to listen to the audio book? If you didn't I highly recommend it because Goggins adds some extra podcast like content to it.

Thanks! I'm used to doing things on my own but that needs to change. You are 100% right about needing a healthy social life.

Consider me a friend from now on. :) 

My girlfriend recently convinced me that I should start making new friends when I joined instagram. lol.

I need all the help I can get. lol. What method worked for you and your husband?

15 hours ago, Styleshift said:

Thank you for responding to my post XBlackWidowX! :D

🤔 Hmm. My favorite part of Can't Hurt Me was "Taking souls". I really relate to his childhood trauma but the reason I follow him is because he stop letting his own personal fears about himself and what other people think get the best of him.  The Navy Seals Hell week is when "Goggins" was born. I've always thought to myself that what if a person lives their whole lives and they never discovered their potential? 

What is your favorite part of the book? Did you have an opportunity to listen to the audio book? If you didn't I highly recommend it because Goggins adds some extra podcast like content to it.

Thanks! I'm used to doing things on my own but that needs to change. You are 100% right about needing a healthy social life.

Consider me a friend from now on. :) 

My girlfriend recently convinced me that I should start making new friends when I joined instagram. lol.

I need all the help I can get. lol. What method worked for you and your husband?

You're welcome :) I like that part too! Well, I don't wanna belittle anyone, but most people live never discovering their potential. They just go to work, go home, take care of their children, etc, than get old and die. It's really a pity, becasue anyone could do something cool if they had enough grit. Let's not be among them! "Be uncommon among the most uncommon people!"

I didn't listen to the audiobook, could you send be the link? Does he talk about something that wasn't mentioned in the book?

I loved the beginning of the book, as he was telling his story till the moment of his breakthrough. It was really fascinating, he is a good story teller. And I love Rocky too, I watched it maybe few months before and was really captivated by it. So when I got to the part when he said he was so inspired by Rocky and the 14th round, I was so shocked, it felt like destiny that I got that book, you know?

I also really like the part with the mirror; if you are fat/stupid/whatever, have the courage to tell it to yourself, don't pat yourself on the shoulder and excuse yourself. I really like that. It is a complete opposite of the modern society approach, like "be kind to yourself, take only small steps, it is ok to do just a little bit." F...k, no. Don't babysit yourself. Be a man. Say the truth to your own face, and give 120% to change yourself. As if your life depended on it. 

It is not any popular diet, it is just something we figured out by ourselves, based on convenience and common sense. 

Morning: oatmeal, few nuts or dried fruit, a spoon of honey, hot water

Lunch: anything you want, but relatively healthy. We eat meat/fish + vegetables + rice.

Snack: a glass of yogurt, little bit of honey and nuts

Dinner (that's a nightmare, but most useful to lose weight. Think of it as a boss at the end of the level lol): vegetables and chicken breast cooked in water, oatmeal (same like breakfast).

Sport - choose cardio or strength - at least every other day

I can lose 3-4 kg (about 8 pounds) a month like that.

Veni, vidi, vici. 

On 11/7/2021 at 2:27 AM, Styleshift said:

Welcome! I also have some barriers to meeting a lot of people in real life, but I get a lot of guidance and support here. I hope the challenges and forums will be as useful to you as they have been to me.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

19 hours ago, XBlackWidowX said:

You're welcome :) I like that part too! Well, I don't wanna belittle anyone, but most people live never discovering their potential. They just go to work, go home, take care of their children, etc, than get old and die. It's really a pity, becasue anyone could do something cool if they had enough grit. Let's not be among them! "Be uncommon among the most uncommon people!"

I didn't listen to the audiobook, could you send be the link? Does he talk about something that wasn't mentioned in the book?

I loved the beginning of the book, as he was telling his story till the moment of his breakthrough. It was really fascinating, he is a good story teller. And I love Rocky too, I watched it maybe few months before and was really captivated by it. So when I got to the part when he said he was so inspired by Rocky and the 14th round, I was so shocked, it felt like destiny that I got that book, you know?

I also really like the part with the mirror; if you are fat/stupid/whatever, have the courage to tell it to yourself, don't pat yourself on the shoulder and excuse yourself. I really like that. It is a complete opposite of the modern society approach, like "be kind to yourself, take only small steps, it is ok to do just a little bit." F...k, no. Don't babysit yourself. Be a man. Say the truth to your own face, and give 120% to change yourself. As if your life depended on it. 

It is not any popular diet, it is just something we figured out by ourselves, based on convenience and common sense. 

Morning: oatmeal, few nuts or dried fruit, a spoon of honey, hot water

Lunch: anything you want, but relatively healthy. We eat meat/fish + vegetables + rice.

Snack: a glass of yogurt, little bit of honey and nuts

Dinner (that's a nightmare, but most useful to lose weight. Think of it as a boss at the end of the level lol): vegetables and chicken breast cooked in water, oatmeal (same like breakfast).

Sport - choose cardio or strength - at least every other day

I can lose 3-4 kg (about 8 pounds) a month like that.

How did you hear about Goggins/The book?  I am a HUGE fan of Tom Bilyeu's motivational videos and that is where I first heard about him. I was so fascinated by his story that I began looking up every podcast/interview that he did. I'm really shocked that there has not been a movie made about his life yet.

Rocky is still on my "to watch list".  I poked fun at my girlfriend for not getting my reference to Ivan Drago's "I must break you" before we played a game. But now that I think about it I haven't watched a Rocky film all the way through. sooooo. 😆

Do you have an Amazon account? (Probably a dumb question. lol But If you sign up for the free montth of Audible you can add Can't' Hurt Me and another audio book  to your account for free and listen to it anytime you want. That's how I got it.  It is REALLY worth listening to. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Hurt-Me-David-Goggins-audiobook/dp/B07KKP62FW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=cant+hurt+me&qid=1636418629&qsid=140-3238431-3185369&sr=8-1&sres=1544512279%2C1544507852%2C9123985585%2C1989346375%2CB07TJXRST9%2CB07PPW7Z7W%2CB00OFMYCBM%2CB09B57WBS9%2CB08VCKKKHV%2CB08XLLF3PG%2C0735211299%2C0062851330%2C0718039874%2C1878424319%2C1981089152%2CB085K7P22K&srpt=ABIS_BOOK

I completely agree about the ability to be honest with one's self. I think I'm starting to get to a point now where I'm coming out of my shell a bit. Now I'm kinda like? Why did I care so much? People still see your weight when you go out. The only thing I did was prevent myself from living a fullfilled life and ignore my problems.

WOW. That's pretty interesting.  Is this more like a lifestyle change for you? Whenever I ask for advice someone jumps out and says "LIFESTYLE CHANGE. UR GONNA GO BACK TO UR HABITS!!! RAWRRR!!"  😠 lol

Have you tried overnight oats before?  I looked up a recipe for it a few months ago and I'm curious but I never remember to buy what I need to try it.

For now I have been focusing on cutting my liquid calories and properly learning to track my calories with Life Sum (app).  I have oatmeal for breakfast or some kind of protein and eggs with grits. I usually skip lunch. (Even when I was eating unhealthy). For dinner I tend to eat grilled meats and veggies. Last night I had Lamb Chop Shoulder, Asparagus, and a sweet potato. I eat mini frosted wheats for Fiber.

I run every morning.  Today I saw a chicken cross the road during my run. No joke. I'll attach a picture. :)

IMG_20211108_083848979.jpg

IMG_20211108_083854387.jpg

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

Welcome! I also have some barriers to meeting a lot of people in real life, but I get a lot of guidance and support here. I hope the challenges and forums will be as useful to you as they have been to me.

Thank you! What has your journey been like so far? I would love to hear your story :D

• Like 1
19 hours ago, XBlackWidowX said:

BTW, are you gonna start your own challenge here? I think it is fun and helpful to keep on being driven, you can try! :)

Sure! :)

I'm still learning the forums though. But once I have a bit more of an understanding about how things works here I'm sure I'll join in on the fun and add to it myself. haha.

6 hours ago, Styleshift said:

Thank you! What has your journey been like so far? I would love to hear your story :D

My story? Wellllll... About four years ago I was very unfit, very exhausted, depressed, extremely anxious, and heavier than I wanted to be. I started walking every day and made it a habit. That helped a bit with the depression. Then I saw Spezzy's story and started powerlifting. That really helped with the depression and a little with the anxiety, and I gained some actually visible muscle! Unfortunately COVID caused some major lifting setbacks and I'm trying to get started again. But I'm still really struggling with the fatigue. I've been trying different diets and recently a super low carb high fat diet has reduced my anxiety dramatically (kinda surprising). I've still got things to improve on out but the situation is a lot less grim than it was a few years back. I also started writing and painting, which wouldn't really have been possible with the energy/mood I had back then. The nerds here have helped me a lot... especially in getting away from punishing diets and body hatred and moving on to exercise and nutrition that's focused on more positive goals. And of course they encouraged me to stop seeing my fatigue as a moral failure and to, um, actually see a doctor about it. Also, just writing down my goals and what's happening helps me to structure my attempts and also gives me data to look back on, which can help me see where I have made improvements.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

My story? Wellllll... About four years ago I was very unfit, very exhausted, depressed, extremely anxious, and heavier than I wanted to be. I started walking every day and made it a habit. That helped a bit with the depression. Then I saw Spezzy's story and started powerlifting. That really helped with the depression and a little with the anxiety, and I gained some actually visible muscle! Unfortunately COVID caused some major lifting setbacks and I'm trying to get started again. But I'm still really struggling with the fatigue. I've been trying different diets and recently a super low carb high fat diet has reduced my anxiety dramatically (kinda surprising). I've still got things to improve on out but the situation is a lot less grim than it was a few years back. I also started writing and painting, which wouldn't really have been possible with the energy/mood I had back then. The nerds here have helped me a lot... especially in getting away from punishing diets and body hatred and moving on to exercise and nutrition that's focused on more positive goals. And of course they encouraged me to stop seeing my fatigue as a moral failure and to, um, actually see a doctor about it. Also, just writing down my goals and what's happening helps me to structure my attempts and also gives me data to look back on, which can help me see where I have made improvements.

Wow, that's a super interesting story! You do so many things! And powerlifting sounds cool. Would you like to share something more? Did you start by yourself or with a coach? Do you lift very heavy? I was thinking about it a lot but I am afraid I will ruin my spine. 

I also had a problem with the fatigue, my husband always says I was like a poorly tied baloon with the air leaking out lol. After I got a right medicine I am like a normal baloon haha. 100% energy level, I surppass all my colleagues at work haha. And the medicine is all natural stuff. So I can relate to this problem of yours a lot. It is really frustrating! Like being stuck in a second gear forever. Great you feel better now!

What kind of stuff do you write?

So you have been here for few years? Tell me, is it possible to find some real friends and connections here? In any other place in the internet people always ignore you immediately/ignore you after few conversations lol. I am new here, but by now I've been surprised by the warm welcome I've got here and a feeling of true connection.  I am curious if it can turn to something deeper. 

• Like 1

Veni, vidi, vici. 

26 minutes ago, XBlackWidowX said:

Wow, that's a super interesting story! You do so many things! And powerlifting sounds cool. Would you like to share something more? Did you start by yourself or with a coach? Do you lift very heavy? I was thinking about it a lot but I am afraid I will ruin my spine. 

So, I read up and watched videos on correct form, and started with a simple 5x5 programme. You can check out the stronglifts 5x5 programme, it has all the information a beginner needs. If you want to see the lifts executed correctly, search for Alan Thrall on Youtube, he explains the how-tos very well. I did need to start with dumbbells for every lift except the deadlift, because I was too weak to bench or overhead press a 20kg bar. I worked up to it, though, and made use of the power racks for safety. Before covid, I worked up to roughly a 90kg deadlift, 70kg squat, 37kg bench and 30kg OHP, if I remember correctly. All gone, now, sadly, after a long lockdown of gymlessness.

I did not start with a coach, but a friend took me to the gym and watched me do the lifts the first time. With that and the videos I was alright. I did book sessions with a coach after a couple of years, to fine tune my form. It was useful.

I do not think that injuring your spine is a realistic concern unless you have preexisting injuries or weaknesses. If you try to pick up a deadlift that is too heavy for you, your brain will send inhibitory signals to your muscles and you will drop it whether you mean to or not. But you should be careful when picking a bench or squat weight, because dropping those can be more problematic. It's best to do them in a power rack or squat rack. And you should only ever lift a tiny bit heavier than your last successful lift. You can injure yourself with bad form, but what will happen is you'll feel a small ache, and then it will get worse session by session, until you realise you have to back off and fix things. I think it's pretty rare to have a sudden, catastrophic injury in weightlifting: those are far more common in fast paced sports with rapid changes of direction, like soccer and tennis. But if you're worried, I think booking a few sessions with a coach could really be a great start, and help you feel confident about form and safety.

I also had a problem with the fatigue, my husband always says I was like a poorly tied baloon with the air leaking out lol. After I got a right medicine I am like a normal baloon haha. 100% energy level, I surppass all my colleagues at work haha. And the medicine is all natural stuff. So I can relate to this problem of yours a lot. It is really frustrating! Like being stuck in a second gear forever. Great you feel better now!

Wow, that's amazing that you were able to get back to 100% energy! I'm not actually better regarding the fatigue. I have greatly improved the depression and anxiety, though, and made small dents in the fatigue.

What kind of stuff do you write?

I am reviewing classic, second wave feminist texts from the 20th century--mostly radical, but some liberal--and writing about them for myself and others who are new to feminism.

So you have been here for few years? Tell me, is it possible to find some real friends and connections here? In any other place in the internet people always ignore you immediately/ignore you after few conversations lol. I am new here, but by now I've been surprised by the warm welcome I've got here and a feeling of true connection.  I am curious if it can turn to something deeper. 

I have been here for maybe four years? It is possible to make lasting connections. Several of the nerds have been an ongoing source of strength and succor to me. People do come and go a little, when life places demands on them and they need a break. And of course, there are many newbies who come but don't stay. It's obviously easier the more you post--it's hard to connect with strangers but the more you write, the better we get to know you and the easier it is to get a feel for who you are, and to keep up with your challenges. I would recommend popping into other people's threads and saying hi regularly. Some of them will start "following" you back, and then in time we all get to know each other better. Not that I got to know everyone here! There are too many guilds and challenges to keep up with everyone. I used to just focus on the warrior's guild but we mixed it up a bit recently and now we're all in the same guild hall, sort of.

9 hours ago, Styleshift said:

How did you hear about Goggins/The book?  I am a HUGE fan of Tom Bilyeu's motivational videos and that is where I first heard about him. I was so fascinated by his story that I began looking up every podcast/interview that he did. I'm really shocked that there has not been a movie made about his life yet.

Rocky is still on my "to watch list".  I poked fun at my girlfriend for not getting my reference to Ivan Drago's "I must break you" before we played a game. But now that I think about it I haven't watched a Rocky film all the way through. sooooo. 😆

Do you have an Amazon account? (Probably a dumb question. lol But If you sign up for the free montth of Audible you can add Can't' Hurt Me and another audio book  to your account for free and listen to it anytime you want. That's how I got it.  It is REALLY worth listening to. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Hurt-Me-David-Goggins-audiobook/dp/B07KKP62FW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=cant+hurt+me&qid=1636418629&qsid=140-3238431-3185369&sr=8-1&sres=1544512279%2C1544507852%2C9123985585%2C1989346375%2CB07TJXRST9%2CB07PPW7Z7W%2CB00OFMYCBM%2CB09B57WBS9%2CB08VCKKKHV%2CB08XLLF3PG%2C0735211299%2C0062851330%2C0718039874%2C1878424319%2C1981089152%2CB085K7P22K&srpt=ABIS_BOOK

I completely agree about the ability to be honest with one's self. I think I'm starting to get to a point now where I'm coming out of my shell a bit. Now I'm kinda like? Why did I care so much? People still see your weight when you go out. The only thing I did was prevent myself from living a fullfilled life and ignore my problems.

WOW. That's pretty interesting.  Is this more like a lifestyle change for you? Whenever I ask for advice someone jumps out and says "LIFESTYLE CHANGE. UR GONNA GO BACK TO UR HABITS!!! RAWRRR!!"  😠 lol

Have you tried overnight oats before?  I looked up a recipe for it a few months ago and I'm curious but I never remember to buy what I need to try it.

For now I have been focusing on cutting my liquid calories and properly learning to track my calories with Life Sum (app).  I have oatmeal for breakfast or some kind of protein and eggs with grits. I usually skip lunch. (Even when I was eating unhealthy). For dinner I tend to eat grilled meats and veggies. Last night I had Lamb Chop Shoulder, Asparagus, and a sweet potato. I eat mini frosted wheats for Fiber.

I run every morning.  Today I saw a chicken cross the road during my run. No joke. I'll attach a picture. :)

IMG_20211108_083848979.jpg

IMG_20211108_083854387.jpg

Yes, exactly, there should be a movie about his life! He is like a real life superhero!

I just listened to some random motivational videos and his voice and attitude captured my attention the most. I thought, wow, that guy is fire! Then I checked him out and I bought his book. Didn't expect it will shake my world though! I don't know the guy you mentioned, what about him attracted you the most? What does he do?

Recently I read  one interesting book too, it is also written by a former military guy haha. (I don't know why, but I can only relate to men, somehow women don't spark that fire within me haha.) It is called "Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth," as you can guess it is about the astronaut's job but also how to be badass and excel in whatever you do. I'll send you my fave fragment later. 

Haha, no that dumb, because I don't have an account there lol. Is it free? Thank you for the link!

I used to think I was the worst at everything and dumber than anyone because people bullied me a lot at school and I wasn't good at making friends. Now I can make friends immediately, everywhere, I am very sweet-spoken and always know the right thing to say. And I am a bit narcissistic to be honest :P You can change. You can do anything. It is just a proccess, it takes time. I am proud of your thinking!

The habit of eating home made, healthy food wasn't any glorious achivement of mine to be honest, I just married well :D My husband cooks every day.

Your plan seems very good! haha, and I loved the chicken! The chicken went out for the jog too lol.

Veni, vidi, vici. 

10 hours ago, Rookie said:

Hey! Welcome to the rebellion! You have a great attitude ☺️ Definitely think about making a challenge. It’s a fun way to meet people. 

Thank you! :D

I was a bit worried that I wouldn't get any responses to my post but all of the responses so far have been great. Everyone here has been very kind and supportive so far.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Harriet said:

Wow. That's really similar to how I started I'm kinda in that period where you were before you started power lifting.. I couldn't do anything but walk. I just got to a point in my life where I was tired of being tired. lol.

So I started walking every morning and that turned into running. I used to lift weights when I was a teen.  Unfortunately I gained A LOT of weight during this pandemic. I felt so trapped and that lead to a really bad case of depression. I had to stop working in labor because I didn't want to risk bringing Covid home. Although when I got my driver's license back from the DMV this year and looked at my photo. Oh boy. lol. That was when I realized my diet needed to change and that I needed to stop eating like a teenager. I literally said "Who IS THIS?" LOL. 

But yeah eating right has definitely helped a lot with my mood. Now I can make better decisions regarding my life. (As a whole) I'm glad to see that you were able to pull yourself out and not fall back. That's really inspiring. I hope I will continue to be able to do the same and improve like you have. :)

Could you link me to Spezzy's story please? :)

Does anyone here use instagram? I only have like 1 follower and could use some more support there too. lol.

2 hours ago, XBlackWidowX said:

Yes, exactly, there should be a movie about his life! He is like a real life superhero!

I just listened to some random motivational videos and his voice and attitude captured my attention the most. I thought, wow, that guy is fire! Then I checked him out and I bought his book. Didn't expect it will shake my world though! I don't know the guy you mentioned, what about him attracted you the most? What does he do?

Recently I read  one interesting book too, it is also written by a former military guy haha. (I don't know why, but I can only relate to men, somehow women don't spark that fire within me haha.) It is called "Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth," as you can guess it is about the astronaut's job but also how to be badass and excel in whatever you do. I'll send you my fave fragment later. 

Haha, no that dumb, because I don't have an account there lol. Is it free? Thank you for the link!

I used to think I was the worst at everything and dumber than anyone because people bullied me a lot at school and I wasn't good at making friends. Now I can make friends immediately, everywhere, I am very sweet-spoken and always know the right thing to say. And I am a bit narcissistic to be honest :P You can change. You can do anything. It is just a proccess, it takes time. I am proud of your thinking!

The habit of eating home made, healthy food wasn't any glorious achivement of mine to be honest, I just married well :D My husband cooks every day.

Your plan seems very good! haha, and I loved the chicken! The chicken went out for the jog too lol.

Yes! It is free to make an Amazon account.  Sometimes Amazon does promotions and you can get free seasons of anime, free kindle books. I got the first volume of Demon Slayer for free a few months ago. Before that they had a promo where you could add ALL Black Panther comics to your account on Comixology (Their comic book app) :)

I'll post one of Tom Bilyeau's videos below. He is a motivational speaker and does a bunch of interviews. 

That book sounds very interesting. I'm going to order it a copy after I get home from work.  Thanks! A fragment would definitely help me be interested in reading it. I have been looking for something to read for a while but nothing has really gotten my interest like Can't Hurt Me. I have had Jocko recommended to me but...I dunno. I respect him but I don't feel inspired by him in the same way. It's kinda like he's my math teacher but David Goggin's was science, P.E., and Art. lol.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your kind words and support.

Thank you for complimenting Chicken-Sensei! :D

haha. lucky you. :P Your husband sounds like a really great person. It definitely helps when there are people in your life that are supportive (and even join you) on the weight loss journey.

Thank you for complimenting my plan. lol.

58 minutes ago, Styleshift said:

Wow. That's really similar to how I started I'm kinda in that period where you were before you started power lifting.. I couldn't do anything but walk. I just got to a point in my life where I was tired of being tired. lol.

So I started walking every morning and that turned into running. I used to lift weights when I was a teen.  Unfortunately I gained A LOT of weight during this pandemic. I felt so trapped and that lead to a really bad case of depression. I had to stop working in labor because I didn't want to risk bringing Covid home. Although when I got my driver's license back from the DMV this year and looked at my photo. Oh boy. lol. That was when I realized my diet needed to change and that I needed to stop eating like a teenager. I literally said "Who IS THIS?" LOL. 

But yeah eating right has definitely helped a lot with my mood. Now I can make better decisions regarding my life. (As a whole) I'm glad to see that you were able to pull yourself out and not fall back. That's really inspiring. I hope I will continue to be able to do the same and improve like you have. :)

Interesting that you were able to go from walking to running! Cardio still murders me.

It's a great feeling to get the diet and weight under control and to feel like one is on an upward trajectory with the fitness. I wish you glorious victory with it all!

58 minutes ago, Styleshift said:

Could you link me to Spezzy's story please? :)

Here you go: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/female-powerlifters-meet-staci-ardison/

I had never considered powerlifting or any kind of lifting for myself, and seeing another woman do it really opened my mind and made me excited about it.

20 hours ago, Styleshift said:

I have been looking for something to read for a while but nothing has really gotten my interest like Can't Hurt Me. I have had Jocko recommended to me but...I dunno. I respect him but I don't feel inspired by him in the same way.

Ok, just be honest with me and tell me, are you me? :D From a different dimension or something? Not only you also read Goggins and play the same games, but also have exactly the same thoughts. 

Yeah, that's right. I thought I would like him too because he is also a former Navy Seal and I love that kind of tough, unapologetic mindset, but it is just as you said. It doesn't get to me. 

Thank you for explaining the stuff about Amazon, I will try!

I listened to the part of the video you sent me and I really liked the part when he says you shouldn't change your goals but the path to them if something gets in a way and you cannot get there. I think I heard it in a right moment becuase I am sick and I had to stop my current challenge for some time 😕 But I'll get back to it as soon as I am fully recovered and maybe I'll do something little differently if neccessery.

Nothing to thank for :) It is just the truth. And you seem to be a very nice person, so it's my pleasure to support you!

Yes, that's true. My husband is an angel. He helps me and supports me in anything I do. I am really lucky I guess. 

About starting you own challenge, actually it is pretty easy. You go to the Current Challenges, start a new thread with your nickname and the name of the challenge in the title (it can be anything; weight loss, training, dancing, dagger throwing xD) and then write the first post where you explain what you are gonna do and how. 

So, these are the fragments from the book I mentioned (I can send more if you'd like to read more):

IMG_20211110_174621.jpg

IMG_20211110_172920.jpg

IMG_20211110_172747.jpg

Veni, vidi, vici. 

On 11/8/2021 at 9:58 PM, Rookie said:

Hey! Welcome to the rebellion! You have a great attitude ☺️ Definitely think about making a challenge. It’s a fun way to meet people. 

3 hours ago, Isaac Robertson said:

Recognizing and holding yourself accountable for all of these is already a big step. It just means that you are now motivated enough to grind. 

Kudos!

Thank you both 🙏

I'm catching up now. I'm grateful for all the welcome posts I have received so far. :D

On 11/9/2021 at 9:53 AM, Harriet said:

Interesting that you were able to go from walking to running! Cardio still murders me.

It's a great feeling to get the diet and weight under control and to feel like one is on an upward trajectory with the fitness. I wish you glorious victory with it all!

Here you go: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/female-powerlifters-meet-staci-ardison/

I had never considered powerlifting or any kind of lifting for myself, and seeing another woman do it really opened my mind and made me excited about it.

I HATE cardio too. When I was a kid I used to hold my breath while taking off during a full sprint. I could run VERY fast but It was a really odd habit that held me back. I was so used to this that breathing made my muscles feel tired very quickly. (Weird I know) I figured that If I could overcome cardio then I would be less resistant to trying new things when it came to working out. (That hasn't worked as well as I wished to be honest. lol)  What helped me the most was applying what I learned about proper form in martial arts and weight lifting when i was a teen to walking and then running.  So I went on youtube and studied proper form for my running.  I feel like things are starting to click for me a bit more lately.

THANK YOU for the link. :D  Ahhhh I remember Staci! I read about her when i first learned about this site a few years ago.  

Ah. I'm sorry, I misunderstood. :( I still think your pretty cool though :)

• Like 1
23 hours ago, XBlackWidowX said:

Ok, just be honest with me and tell me, are you me? :D From a different dimension or something? Not only you also read Goggins and play the same games, but also have exactly the same thoughts. 

Yeah, that's right. I thought I would like him too because he is also a former Navy Seal and I love that kind of tough, unapologetic mindset, but it is just as you said. It doesn't get to me. 

Thank you for explaining the stuff about Amazon, I will try!

I listened to the part of the video you sent me and I really liked the part when he says you shouldn't change your goals but the path to them if something gets in a way and you cannot get there. I think I heard it in a right moment becuase I am sick and I had to stop my current challenge for some time 😕 But I'll get back to it as soon as I am fully recovered and maybe I'll do something little differently if neccessery.

Nothing to thank for :) It is just the truth. And you seem to be a very nice person, so it's my pleasure to support you!

Yes, that's true. My husband is an angel. He helps me and supports me in anything I do. I am really lucky I guess. 

About starting you own challenge, actually it is pretty easy. You go to the Current Challenges, start a new thread with your nickname and the name of the challenge in the title (it can be anything; weight loss, training, dancing, dagger throwing xD) and then write the first post where you explain what you are gonna do and how. 

So, these are the fragments from the book I mentioned (I can send more if you'd like to read more):

IMG_20211110_174621.jpg

IMG_20211110_172920.jpg

IMG_20211110_172747.jpg

Yes. I am you from another world. :P

LOL you know I was a bit worried saying that I didn't care for Jocko. I really tried too. I think what I like about Goggins is that he is straight to the point and Jocko tends to pontificate a bit too much. I'm usually very direct and straight to the point with people. If I start yammering on it means I'm nervous about the thing I REALLY want to talk about. 

No problem. If you need any further help be sure to ask. :)

Yes! I extracted the audio from Tom Bilyeau's  videos and listen to them sometimes during my morning run. My girlfriend made me a playlist and i usually listen to that during my warm ups. I'm glad that you are taking time to recover though.  There were points during when i started my journey and I had to remind myself that I should not try to be David Goggins. I am a huge fan of Bruce Lee and his philosophical quotes. One comes to mind: "Always be yourself and have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and try to duplicate it. – Bruce Lee"

Wow. Congratulations you just sold me on the book. I ordered a digital copy. :D

I'll start reading this tonight. I didn't realize it until more recently but I have a bit of anxiety. I need to get a handle on it.

Hmm. I'm pretty into jump roping right now. If there isn't a challenge about that already maybe i'll start that. :D

On 11/9/2021 at 6:48 PM, Harriet said:

So, I read up and watched videos on correct form, and started with a simple 5x5 programme. You can check out the stronglifts 5x5 programme, it has all the information a beginner needs. If you want to see the lifts executed correctly, search for Alan Thrall on Youtube, he explains the how-tos very well. I did need to start with dumbbells for every lift except the deadlift, because I was too weak to bench or overhead press a 20kg bar. I worked up to it, though, and made use of the power racks for safety. Before covid, I worked up to roughly a 90kg deadlift, 70kg squat, 37kg bench and 30kg OHP, if I remember correctly. All gone, now, sadly, after a long lockdown of gymlessness.

I did not start with a coach, but a friend took me to the gym and watched me do the lifts the first time. With that and the videos I was alright. I did book sessions with a coach after a couple of years, to fine tune my form. It was useful.

I do not think that injuring your spine is a realistic concern unless you have preexisting injuries or weaknesses. If you try to pick up a deadlift that is too heavy for you, your brain will send inhibitory signals to your muscles and you will drop it whether you mean to or not. But you should be careful when picking a bench or squat weight, because dropping those can be more problematic. It's best to do them in a power rack or squat rack. And you should only ever lift a tiny bit heavier than your last successful lift. You can injure yourself with bad form, but what will happen is you'll feel a small ache, and then it will get worse session by session, until you realise you have to back off and fix things. I think it's pretty rare to have a sudden, catastrophic injury in weightlifting: those are far more common in fast paced sports with rapid changes of direction, like soccer and tennis. But if you're worried, I think booking a few sessions with a coach could really be a great start, and help you feel confident about form and safety.

Wow, that's amazing that you were able to get back to 100% energy! I'm not actually better regarding the fatigue. I have greatly improved the depression and anxiety, though, and made small dents in the fatigue.

I am reviewing classic, second wave feminist texts from the 20th century--mostly radical, but some liberal--and writing about them for myself and others who are new to feminism.

I have been here for maybe four years? It is possible to make lasting connections. Several of the nerds have been an ongoing source of strength and succor to me. People do come and go a little, when life places demands on them and they need a break. And of course, there are many newbies who come but don't stay. It's obviously easier the more you post--it's hard to connect with strangers but the more you write, the better we get to know you and the easier it is to get a feel for who you are, and to keep up with your challenges. I would recommend popping into other people's threads and saying hi regularly. Some of them will start "following" you back, and then in time we all get to know each other better. Not that I got to know everyone here! There are too many guilds and challenges to keep up with everyone. I used to just focus on the warrior's guild but we mixed it up a bit recently and now we're all in the same guild hall, sort of.

Hey! Sorry to be replying just now, but I have quite a busy life. And thank you for your wonderful response! 

I checked out that programme, it looks very good for a beginner! I also think the recommended weight is much too heavy for beginners. Maybe the author had only guys in mind. Your results are incredible! I can't imagine myself lifting so much. What was the weight of the dumbbells you started with? So sorry to hear you lost it because of the quarantine. Maybe it is a good idea to buy some barbells and dumbbells and work out at home? 

For me the problem is that any weight is too heavy lol. I got fatigued few times so badly that I had to take rest for few weeks to recover. But I noticed it is much better if I do full body and don't increase any weight every time. 

I am very worried about the injuries because recently I hurt myself by doing an exercise called Water Bug from Tony Horton's programme Hard Corps:

I screwed up both joints in one arm and it hasnt recovered for 2-3 months. I feel crazy about that. The doctor said the only thing I can do is waiting until it heals. 

I think not eating ANY sweets or snacks is also very helpful to have much more energy. Have you tried? 

I'll write more next time, need to get back to work lol. Cheers! 

• Like 1

Veni, vidi, vici. 

4 hours ago, Styleshift said:

I HATE cardio too. When I was a kid I used to hold my breath while taking off during a full sprint. I could run VERY fast but It was a really odd habit that held me back. I was so used to this that breathing made my muscles feel tired very quickly. (Weird I know) I figured that If I could overcome cardio then I would be less resistant to trying new things when it came to working out. (That hasn't worked as well as I wished to be honest. lol)  What helped me the most was applying what I learned about proper form in martial arts and weight lifting when i was a teen to walking and then running.  So I went on youtube and studied proper form for my running.  I feel like things are starting to click for me a bit more lately.

Breathing would help, I guess 😆

1 hour ago, XBlackWidowX said:

Hey! Sorry to be replying just now, but I have quite a busy life. And thank you for your wonderful response! 

I checked out that programme, it looks very good for a beginner! I also think the recommended weight is much too heavy for beginners. Maybe the author had only guys in mind. Your results are incredible! I can't imagine myself lifting so much. What was the weight of the dumbbells you started with? So sorry to hear you lost it because of the quarantine. Maybe it is a good idea to buy some barbells and dumbbells and work out at home? 

Ah, yes, sorry. Almost all lifting material on the internet is written for men. The main difference is you won't be able to make the same jumps week to week (instead of putting another 2.5kg on the bar each week, maybe you have to add 1.5kg, or not increase the weight at all for a couple of weeks).

I started with bodyweight squats, and 2 x 2.5kg dumbbells for the bench and overhead press. I started with 30kg for the deadlift. I was seriously surprised about the deadlift, but my friend just told me to give it a try, and it was fine. I assure you I was extremely weak to start with.

I do have some stuff at home, and I have rejoined the gym--I'm just struggling with motivation and fatigue. I need to recover from my most recent travel and get back to it. Hopefully in a few days.

For me the problem is that any weight is too heavy lol. I got fatigued few times so badly that I had to take rest for few weeks to recover. But I noticed it is much better if I do full body and don't increase any weight every time. 

Are you sure? Are you saying you cannot bench two 2.5kg dumbbells five times? What exactly did you do to get really fatigued?

But yeah, you don't have to increase the weight every time. At most, you increase it after you hit all your reps with good form one week. Or after you're super comfortable with the weight for a few weeks. Whatever you want. And if the increments are too great, you can work with reps instead. (E.g. 5kg for 5 reps one week, then 6 reps next week, then 7 reps the week after, and then you increase the weight and start again at 5 reps.) As an example, I was able to increase the weight regularly for the first 6 months, but after that, I had to go much more slowly and would spend multiple workouts with the same weight, just gaining reps.

I am very worried about the injuries because recently I hurt myself by doing an exercise called Water Bug from Tony Horton's programme Hard Corps:

Well.... the water bug does look a little silly, sorry! I mean, what was the purpose? If the point is arm and chest strength she should be doing boring old pushups. If the point is to get tired and annoyed, though... anyway, I can see how you might hurt yourself if you did a lot of reps and did not have strong elbows. That kind of speed is not going to allow for really good technique, and any sideways movement, especially one where you jump and land, can place serious stress on our joints. Powerlifting is really safe, though, and bodybuilding even more so, statistically. You practice with lighter weights to get excellent technique, and then you do your really familiar lifts slowly and carefully.

I screwed up both joints in one arm and it hasnt recovered for 2-3 months. I feel crazy about that. The doctor said the only thing I can do is waiting until it heals. 

Damn, that's annoying. Yeah, don't do any more silly workouts from the internet unless you know the purpose and it fits your goals. And if something hurts, stop.

I think not eating ANY sweets or snacks is also very helpful to have much more energy. Have you tried?

Jawohl. I haven't had any sugar or alcohol for a few months, I cut out caffeine and am eating 20g of carbs per day. I do snack, though, on 100% dark chocolate. It contributes valuable calories and micronutrients, and also I can't stop myself.