2021 Holiday Challenge

The holidays are finally here though it seems like this year went so quickly.   I'm not ready to back down for the year yet so I'll be using this challenge to put as much distance between myself and that 250 weight plateau that has plagued me half of the year.    But at the same time, it is the holidays and I plan to take the time to enjoy it. 

My goals are pretty much on autopilot now so I'll just be continuing with those but each week with have a different focus, modifying the goals as the holidays approach. 

Waiting For The Holidays GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 6

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Week 0: Motivation: I am motivated to finish the year strong!

There is no time to waste; this challenge starts now!  The theme for week 0 is motivation.    I know what I need to do.  I did well over Thanksgiving and I've finally (hopefully) broken through the plateau.  That motivates me to keep pushing through.  The motivation should keep me on track with my goals so I'm not really concerned with them.  I'll take the week and focus on fasting and trying to push for a 16 hour fast daily.  

Week 1: Determination: I am determined to achieve my goals!

I can already feel my motivation waning, so this week's focus is on determination.  This is the first full week of only 3 and this isn't the time to lose focus.   Simply coasting will not cut it this week.  I will stick to the fasting goal of 16 hours daily and also commit to getting in 5 workouts during the week.   

Week 2: Perseverance: I can persevere when things get tough!

I am not particularly feeling that sentiment at the moment but fake it until you make it.  This is the final week before holiday festivities really kick off and there will be challenges!  I've got cookies to bake and things to get done but before holiday protocols kick in next week, I'd like to double down on habits to keep them strong going into the holidays.  This week I'll focus on all three goals: a 16 hour fast daily, 5 workouts, and an overall average daily deficit .  

Week 3: Holiday Protocols!

I leave for my brother's on Tuesday.  The weekend was intended to be baking time, which is on hold due to illness.  It's finally time to relax and enjoy the holidays.  I'm easing up on fitness and calorie goals, though not actually easing up since they were already put on hold last week.  I'll rely on mindful eating and fasting to keep the from going off the rails.  

• Fitnessing - the goal was to do the Bare Minimum every day.  This can be anything from getting extra steps, stretching, Darebee workout of the day.  Last year for the week over Christmas I averaged 3100 steps a day.   Any day over that hits the BareMinimum
  • Calorie goal is technically set to maintenance for the days I'm with family.  Each day this week the plan is to incrementally increase the calorie target from the usual and up to maintenance by Tuesday.   

Week 4: Recovery

But now I'm home and it's time for some recovery.  Despite being on vacation I didn't get that much sleep and it wasn't always high quality.   And being in a house with 4 kids between the ages of 2 and 9 is quite frankly exhausting when you're not used to it.  I need rest, non alcoholic fluids, and some damn veggies.   The plan for this final week of the year is to incrementally reduce my calorie target from maintenance to it's usual deficit and start tracking again.  I need to add some freggies back into my diet as well but no hard rule here.  Anything is an improvement.  Going for a walk or two would be beneficial as well.  I'd really like to get my weigh back down under 245 by the end of the year but that's like a pound a day.  I'll be happy with any loss this week.  

• Like 6

Spoiler

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

5 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

saturday night live snl GIF

That doesn't hit the way it did then, my friend. These days, that's the millennial dream. A van of one's own and a steady supply of cheese? We should all be so lucky.

• Haha 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

20 minutes ago, deftona said:

Here's something to help with your motivation! 

I'll take all the motivation I can get! 

19 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following for support. Here is something to aid in motivation. 

saturday night live snl GIF

MMM, government cheese. 

Salivating GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

10 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

That doesn't hit the way it did then, my friend. These days, that's the millennial dream. A van of one's own and a steady supply of cheese? We should all be so lucky.

I somewhere between the millennial van life and the boomer camper life.  But I'll take the government cheese any day.  

• Like 1

Spoiler

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

A van of one's own and a steady supply of cheese?

This was literally my life at one point.  Well, the van wasn't really by a river, it was parked out back of a pizza place I worked at.  But I definitely had unlimited cheese, and the van wasn't uncomfortable, for what it was.

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

1 hour ago, Shello said:

I somewhere between the millennial van life and the boomer camper life.  But I'll take the government cheese any day.  

51 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

This was literally my life at one point.  Well, the van wasn't really by a river, it was parked out back of a pizza place I worked at.  But I definitely had unlimited cheese, and the van wasn't uncomfortable, for what it was.

Check out #vanlife on youtube, a tiny van home of one's own is aspirational. And if there's anything millennials like as much as avocado toast, it's cheese.

I suppose a river would make bathing easier. Add some flower crowns, and that's Instagrammable summercore or something.

(If I could figure out how to dock a container home on either end of a move, I totally would. Moving is the worst, I want to move my whole home. And that's only a slight step up from van life.)

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

5 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I suppose a river would make bathing easier

It's not too hard to just go to a truck stop that has showers, and it's helpful to make friends with someone who works at a motel; you can get free showers in unoccupied rooms.

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

Just now, Cheetah said:

It's not too hard to just go to a truck stop that has showers, and it's helpful to make friends with someone who works at a motel; you can get free showers in unoccupied rooms.

Good tip. I'd have joined a gym.

3 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Good tip. I'd have joined a gym.

That would probably be cheaper than using a truck stop; they were $10 a pop back when I was doing it.   Depending on where you are, some shelters will let you use the shower without checking in for the night, but it depends.

I don't miss having to think about stuff like that.  The shower in my house is very nice and I can use it whenever I want.  All I have to do is go to work every day and don't blow my mortgage and utilities money on booze.

• Like 3

KBO. - Churchill

18 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I'd take a pizza place over a river anytime. 

16 hours ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Following for motivation!

Welcome!

• Like 1

Spoiler

Monday

Fasting is more difficult when you can't sleep in and pass as much fasting time.  I was hungry in the morning and wasn't sure I would make it to 16 hours.  But I made it until almost 11 and then I had a meeting until half past.  By the time I finished the meeting and put together my lunch it was only 15 minutes shy.  Close enough.    DDG and I made leftover Thanksgiving dinner pizza.  I used a crescent roll sheet as a crust, then a turkey gravy sauce, with dollops of leftover mashed potatoes, leftover turkey, some leftover brie, cheddar cheese, then sprinkled with some thyme and fresh rosemary.  It was absolutely delish and tasted like Thanksgiving dinner.  I paired it with some leftover green bean hot dish. I measured everything as we went and it turned out to be less calories than I expected, plus we got away with 1 fewer slices than I expected when I logged the meal ahead of time.   And there was room for pumpkin pie for dessert.  I finished the day 100 calories under target.  I could have done with a little more, maybe that extra slice of pizza.  But by then it was too far after dinner and would have reset my fasting window so I just declined.  And I am hungry now as I post this update, and it's been just over 12 hours.  

No fitnessing happened as I thought we were making a run out to Sam's for some supplies but that never materialized and by then I just simply didn't want to.  

Side Quest: As it turns out I have a side quest this week and into the next.  My closet is a disaster and DDG will be moving in not long after the new year.  We recently made a trip to IKEA for a closet organization system because the one the builders' installed is shite and inefficient.  We need to empty all my stuff from the closet, rip out the currently installed shelves, spackle and paint, and then install the new closet system.  I had thought about spreading the work out over 3 weekends, primary to avoid painting when DDG is over because he absolutely LOATHES painting.  But once I told him I usually paint in my underwear (to avoid finding painting clothes) he seemed to have no trouble at all keeping me company and watching me paint.  So now the plan is to get as much done this weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Spoiler

Good job finding a solution for the painting project :D 

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Good job finding a solution for the painting project :D 

It's a sacrifice we're willing to make. 

Spoiler

Tuesday

Tuesday was a good day.  I struggled with fasting again but I pushed until 15 hours but then had a meeting anyway.  By the time the meeting finished and I put my lunch together I was at 16 hours.  It was the most delish ham and cheese sandwich!  Afternoon snacks can get tricky but I had the usual peanut brittle mini Reese's cups after lunch and then was too busy for the fruit I normally eat in the afternoon.  It's not a great replacement but once I got home I grabbed a bag of baked Cheetos.  We are still working through Thanksgiving leftovers.  We had some Hawaiian rolls and some leftover ham so I made some hot ham and cheese Hawaiian roll sliders.  I logged them ahead of time and they were ridiculously calorie rich.  I measured all the ingredients and updated my log when I made them.  It wasn't quite as bad but still ridiculous.  They were really tasty!  I've been wanting to try them sometime but as they do tend to be ridiculously calorie dense I had put it off.  But it was well worth it and since we used leftovers we don't have a full batch to get through.  I skipped the planned pumpkin pie in favor of hitting my calorie goal.  I had 25 calories to spare, including exercise calories.  I needed to get back to my fitnessing routine but didn't really want to.  I managed to get a booty workout using my app.  

Wednesday 

This was a very rough day.  I barely got any sleep at all.  I woke up at 1:30 in the morning, after not quite 2 hours of sleep, and Peach wasn't home yet.  She had sent me a text an hour earlier saying she was almost done with what she was doing and would be home soon.  At that point she had already been out longer than she was supposed to be.  I checked in with her and she same she lost track of time but by 2:15 she wasn't home yet.  I got up to call her and went to another room so I didn't wake DDG.  She told me she had gotten ill and was throwing up and couldn't get home yet.  I waited and waited, texting off an on but not getting enough information from her.  I laid down on the couch waiting for her but couldn't sleep anyway.  She got in at 4:30.  We talked briefly and then both went to bed.  I did get back to sleep and got just shy of 2 hours again. 

I was tired all day.  I took DDG in the morning to have some wisdom teeth out.  Luckily I had already made arrangements to work from home for the rest of the day.  When I stopped at Walgreens for his prescriptions I made the mistake of walking down the Christmas candy aisle.  I was tired and had incredible urge to snack.  I picked up some dark chocolate salted caramel snowmen, gingerbread flavored KitKat minis, more peanut brittle mini Reese's and a package of Reese's mystery shape cups!   I did have a mystery cup for dessert last night.  It truly was a mystery as we had trouble determining what it was.  Bigfoot's footprint, a penguin?  But then figured it was a bell.  Either way it was delicious. I was incredibly hungry all day and I struggled with fasting and sticking to my calorie goal.  I decided to not try to do either and just practice some self care.  I fasted just shy of 15 hours and had a ham and havarti sandwich with some leftover roasted ham and then a huge pile of grapes and strawberries.  I really wanted chips and hummus but the hummus was at work.  I was still hungry and even debated a second sandwich for lunch.  I opted for some baked Cheetos, mini Reese's and some Keebler M&M mini cookies.  Dinner was leftover Thanksgiving pizza.  I just went ahead and finished all that was left.  I had planned on pumpkin pie again but by then my hunger was sated and I opted for he mystery Reese's.   I was just about 300 calories over budget but also well under maintenance.  I did eat plenty of junk food but I felt like I needed the calories and have no regrets.  I had a walk planned for the day but I wasn't up for that either so I couch surfed with DDG.  He started Dr Strange while I was working so I finished that with him once I logged off and then we watching The Wire.  I fell asleep on the couch around 8 but we stayed there because I didn't want to go to bed until Peach was home.  In the end a full night's sleep was had and it was glorious.  

• Like 4

Spoiler

You definitely needed the calories - if you can't get your energy from sleeping then it has to come from somewhere and if that has to be chocolate then so be it! I hope Peach feels better soon, do you know what it is that made her ill?

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

25 minutes ago, deftona said:

You definitely needed the calories - if you can't get your energy from sleeping then it has to come from somewhere and if that has to be chocolate then so be it!

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Chocolate really did the trick!  

25 minutes ago, deftona said:

I hope Peach feels better soon, do you know what it is that made her ill?

I did find out..... Bad Choices  🌿

• Wow 1

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, deftona said:

Who amongst us could cast the first stone here.

Certainly not me.  I appreciated that she told me so I didn't get on her too much in order to keep our communication flowing.  We are definitely struggling with that lately.  She also had a really bad reaction to it so I suspect she won't be keen to do it again.  I've had similar bad reactions.  Last time I thought I was going to die.  I literally had to keep telling myself no one has ever died from this.  It was awful.  

• Like 1

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Shello said:

Certainly not me.  I appreciated that she told me so I didn't get on her too much in order to keep our communication flowing.  We are definitely struggling with that lately.  She also had a really bad reaction to it so I suspect she won't be keen to do it again.  I've had similar bad reactions.  Last time I thought I was going to die.  I literally had to keep telling myself no one has ever died from this.  It was awful.  

I had an experience like that on my sister's bathroom floor. I still don't really know why that time and no others. 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Thursday

I felt so much better after a full night's sleep.  I was able to fast 16 and half hours, partially since we had eaten dinner quite early the night before since I was ravenous.  I followed the usual food log while at work, including snacking on some grapes and strawberries.  I had planned for a walk after work.  DDG was planning to log into work to help out on some issue so I went out immediately on my own and got home right after dark.  DDG had finished off the last of the left overs for lunch so we needed to venture to the cupboards.   I had a half box of penne in the pantry that I boiled, pulled out the leftover meatballs from the freezer and I warmed them in a pan.  Then I added the cooked pasta, emptied a half jar of alfredo sauce and then used some leftover pizza sauce as well for a creamy tomato sauce.  We also finished off the last 3 slices of garlic texas toast from a box in the freezer.  Dinner was absolutely amazing and cleared out a bunch of opened foods.  My belly and my pantry thank me.  We also finished off the pumpkin pie!   I finished the day with 140 calories leftover, barely touching the exercise calories.  

• Like 3

Spoiler

Week 0 is complete and was a successful start to the holiday challenge.   I intended to use my motivation to coast through on my goals without much effort and focus that effort on fasting for 16 hours.  I averaged 15.75 hours, and that includes the sleep deprived pass day.  As for the coasting goals, I did pretty well.  I do have a surplus overall but it was due to the pass day.  The average daily calories are only in a surplus by 4.   My weight did maintain for the week.  I also got 2 workouts in over the 4 days.  That's barely short of goal and I missed a workout on the pass day.  Overall I am pleased with the week.

Week 1: Determination: I am determined to achieve my goals!

I can already feel my motivation waning, so this week's focus is on determination.  This is the first full week of only 3 and this isn't the time to lose focus.   Simply coasting will not cut it this week.  I will stick to the fasting goal of 16 hours daily and also commit to getting in 5 workouts during the week.   

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Spoiler

Friday

I was able to fast for 16 hours but I was counting the minutes.  Lunch was the usual with a few extra mini Reese's for dessert.  But then I never got hungry in the afternoon and I skipped my afternoon snack.  I was also expecting to have pizza for dinner so by the time I got around to snacking I figured I'd save the calories.  We did indeed have pizza but we went for a walk first.  2 miles.  We debated ordering or having a frozen pizza.  We were planning on eating out Saturday so we decided to go with frozen.  It was easy to watch portions since we just shared it.   I was still hungry after, or rather had just eaten pizza and wasn't stuffed so it felt foreign, so I had a couple mystery Reese's.  I used up all the exercise calories and had 17 left for the day.  2/2 goals met.

Saturday

I slept in quite late and then we just snuggled on the couch until lunch.  By the time food was made I had fasted almost 17 hours.  Lunch was fake eggs benedict.  I didn't make any hollandaise and instead added cheese.  It was very good though as this time I didn't overcook the yolks.  We spent the afternoon running some errands.  We had planned a walk but figured we'd be rushed to get the errands done in time for dinner.  We were eating out with DDG's oldest and his family so we didn't eat until dinner.  We heard the restaurant with our favorite burger in town is closing at the end of the month so we are trying to see how many times we can stop there so we arranged to have dinner there.  I tried waiting until dinner but got quite hungry an hour or so ahead.  I just snacked on some Reese's.  It was a good thing too as there was a 30 minute wait when we got there and then the waitress forgot to put our app order of chips and queso in so it didn't arrive until the burgers.  Burgers were epic as usual.  We both ordered the Royal Mountie, which is a poutine burger with cheese curds, waffle fries, and gravy.  I did go over on calories by 150 but I forgot to log any of the chips and queso.  Close enough since this isn't really a goal for the week.  1 goal hit and considered it a rest day.  

Sunday

I slept in quite late again,  to the point that I figured maybe I was coming down with something.  I got 10 hours of sleep both nights over the weekend.  But it felt glorious.  Fasting went well again, over 17 hours.   I had nothing in particular in mind for lunch so I threw a bunch of options at DDG.  He picked grilled sandwiches, grilled cheese for me and grilled peanut butter for him.  I suggested bacon would go well with each so that's what we had.  I paired mine with grapes and strawberries and he had applesauce.  I felt like I was making plates for preschoolers but we both enjoyed them immensely.   We got the walk in that we had planned for the day before.  DDG is having some hip issues and needs a replacement.  Going for a walk can be difficult until he can get some treatment but his doctor wants him to lose a considerable amount of weight before surgery but walking hurts.  He did make it for the whole 2 miles but hurt the rest of the day.  I am so proud of him though too.  He's starting using MFP too.   We ran more errands in the afternoon again, including getting groceries.  I did my meal planning for the week and I really wanted leftover rotisserie chicken for it.  So we picked up a fresh and hot one from the grocery for dinner.  I made instant potatoes and steamed some carrots.   It was a ridiculously easy dinner and extremely tasty.  We both logged our food for the day and were way under.  I waited until 7 and had a couple mystery Reese's before starting my fasting window.  I had over 350 calories left over, at least twice as many as the exercise calories so that covers the surplus from the day before as well.  2/2 goals rocked.   We finally watching Black Widow.  We waited to watch it in the theaters but then never got around to it.  Then I waited to watch it with the kids but by the time that happened they had both seen it multiple times and didn't want to watch it again.  We started Ted Lasso too as I haven't seen the 2nd season yet.  We started at the beginning though.  

Workouts this week: 2/5

Fasting Average: 16.7 hours

• Like 3

Spoiler