Juliebarkley steals Christmas (challenges)

On 12/6/2021 at 10:44 PM, Scaly Freak said:

What you're describing sounds like it keeps your left arm relatively  stationary, and takes away a lot of the range of motions you'd have in your lower left arm while playing...? If your hand's movements when you play primarily comes from your wrist, and not from moving your lower arm while keeping your wrist mostly straight locked, you are artificially limiting your hand's range of motion, how far your fingers can move, the precision you can move with, and the speed at which you can go from one position to another. Incorrect technique combined with lots of playing will also eventually give you tendonitis in that left wrist. (This is for obvious reasons not recommended.)

This violinist explains it much better than I did, probably because she actually knows how to play it. All I did was spending a lot of time watching the violin sections play during orchestra rehearsals. :) 

I don't want tendonitis obviously, but I'm also only playing for 15 minutes or so at a time, so I'm not super worried either. I am not sure how the motion can come mostly from moving the lower arm though. Unlike in the video, my arm is definitely partially holding up the violin. If it moves, so does the instrument. Having it rotate a bit is fine for easier bowing (I've seen it on folk but not classical violin), but I'm not sure how it works for fingering angle when the hand is also acting as a support. To the best of my knowledge, classical violin hasn't done it this way since the baroque period, but it's really common in folk.

I tried the techniques from the video (and your explanations) today and learned a few things.

One, the thumb thing in the video makes a big difference, and was completely new to me. Instant improvement.

Two, though I was not keeping my wrist locked, I was not usually too far off. I lack a mirror in my playing space to see if I am actually keeping it straight, but I am trying.

Three, my nails are slightly too long to hit proper fleshy fingertip because I can't press down all the way without stabbing into the wood. I'm not as far off on this as I thought though (most of the time anyway). But even with fingertips, I am not always clear of the neighbouring strings. I have pretty small fingers, so this has got to be a technique issue.

Four, holding the violin high makes me less likely to hit two strings at once, but is also really hard on my arm (and makes it harder to see what I am doing). Whether this is just not being used to it or whether I have a technique thing wrong (or both) is hard to tell. I had to drop my elbow to my stomach by the end of the practice just for comfort, bad technique though it may be.

19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Cool! Making stuff is so satisfying. How did it turn out?

The frame is together! It looks like a tiny rickety house made of pipe. :D The loops I sewed on my blankets for my previous system are not big enough to fit over the pipes (they were made to go over pegs), so I'm either going to have to sew new loops (very much DO NOT WANT), or hunt up/buy some clamps. That's not a tonight job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tasks:

Coworker gifts: 3/9

Sewing ends: 2/7

Reading: I'm about halfway through Sunshine Sketches now. It was a slow start, and I didn't get the humour in the first chapter or maybe two, but the author's style is coming through now.

Squatmas:

Plan:

IF:

Booth: The frame is together! Quick, easy, and fun. Clearing the space took longer than putting it together. Now I need to attach the blankets.

Habits:

Walk: 1/?

Shuffle: 1/?

Elements: 0/?

Violin: 2/? See long description in my reply to Scaly Freak, above. Getting smoother, less squeaking, even while messing around with technique.

Lists: 1/?

Forums: Yes. 4/?

Prayer: 0/?

I had to squat a lot today at work (seemed like every children's book on the request list was on a bottom shelf) and then was sore later. Was sore a few days ago as well after walking the pipes home. This isn't normal for me. I can usually squat for days. I guess I've lost a lot of strength over the last couple of months. :( How will I get through Squatmas??? Must renew exercise for the building of muscle.

• Like 4

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44   

1 hour ago, juliebarkley said:

I don't want tendonitis obviously, but I'm also only playing for 15 minutes or so at a time, so I'm not super worried either. I am not sure how the motion can come mostly from moving the lower arm though. Unlike in the video, my arm is definitely partially holding up the violin. If it moves, so does the instrument. Having it rotate a bit is fine for easier bowing (I've seen it on folk but not classical violin), but I'm not sure how it works for fingering angle when the hand is also acting as a support. To the best of my knowledge, classical violin hasn't done it this way since the baroque period, but it's really common in folk.

With the disclaimer that I have no experience with the folk side of violining, I'm going to assume it works the same way as with a guitar or cello - if the left hand has to help supporting the instrument against gravity, it loses a significant amount of its freedom of movement. That's why classical violin has the shoulder brace and the chin rest to being with, the two in combination hold the violin in place and the left hand is free to do nothing but music.

I would suggest trying to find a similar finger technique video for folk style violin play, and look for differences and similarities, and go from there.

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

21 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

With the disclaimer that I have no experience with the folk side of violining, I'm going to assume it works the same way as with a guitar or cello - if the left hand has to help supporting the instrument against gravity, it loses a significant amount of its freedom of movement. That's why classical violin has the shoulder brace and the chin rest to being with, the two in combination hold the violin in place and the left hand is free to do nothing but music.

I would suggest trying to find a similar finger technique video for folk style violin play, and look for differences and similarities, and go from there.

I have to disclaimer that I am a rank beginner and shouldn't be trusted to know what I'm talking about. ;) I quite literally do not know what I do not know. I cannot even remember if this violin ever had a chin rest - it does not at present, but I'm certain I've seen them in person before, whereas shoulder rests are completely alien creatures to me. The finer points of classical technique are not necessary for fiddle (since it rarely ever leaves first position and doesn't vibrato), but better general technique surely can't hurt either.

Sigh. I'm going to keep working on these three little songs, but I think I'm going to look into one or two one-off lessons just to have someone there in person to look and tell me what I'm doing right and wrong and point me in the right direction. I should have started this much younger while my fiddling relatives were still alive. :(

• Like 2

Challenge:   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44   

Hi there!

I am reading your violin descriptions with great interest. I have my great-grandfather's violin. I am hoping to learn to play fiddle music, probably after I retire. I have heard other people advise getting a few lessons to get started so that you can have someone correct your form.

I found you on Duolingo and added you to my friends list. My profile photo is a pot of flowers. :)  I would love to practice French with you sometime.

• Like 1

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

On 12/8/2021 at 2:40 AM, Scaly Freak said:

This all sounds very reasonable. The technique makes sense. It's just been less emphasized for folk because shifting is so much rarer. My googling yesterday suggests that average-skill folk players will only ever have to shift to third position, which is apparently pretty easy going up, but you need the chin rest to take the weight of the violin going back down to first if you don't want to play off-key. Beyond that, it's less important if the left hand takes some of the weight, but that doesn't mean positioning, posture, etc aren't important. Fingering should be pretty much the same, so I definitely need to work on that.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:19 AM, Mad Hatter said:

One squat at a time. First you start. 🙂

It's not the starting I'm worried about, it's the finishing! Especially if I have dumbbells added in. I'm not sure I could make 50 at bodyweight right now, and that's kind of sad for me. I can usually pull 30 and barely feel it.

On 12/8/2021 at 1:32 PM, Mistr said:

Hi there!

I am reading your violin descriptions with great interest. I have my great-grandfather's violin. I am hoping to learn to play fiddle music, probably after I retire. I have heard other people advise getting a few lessons to get started so that you can have someone correct your form.

I found you on Duolingo and added you to my friends list. My profile photo is a pot of flowers. :)  I would love to practice French with you sometime.

Hi and welcome!

Yay for more fiddling! My family used to get together to play - one aunt played accordion, one sang and played the piano, and either two people fiddled or one did and the other played guitar. Maple Sugar and other wordless songs I never learned the names of, and 50s-60s country songs like "Your Cheating Heart" that I have never heard in the original. I used to help decipher lyrics from recordings of radio stations so that they could add new songs to their repertoire. Now they are all gone. I wasn't interested in playing it then, but now I miss the music. It's a link with my family, culture, and roots. I really hope I can play some of those old songs one day (and many others too!). :)

Refriended you on Duo. I will send you a message to talk French.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tasks:

Sewing ends: 2/7

Reading:

Squatmas:

Plan:

IF:

Booth:

Habits:

Elements: 1/? Reintroduction to exercise; first real workout in the new house! We shall see how I feel about it tomorrow.

Violin: 2/?

Forums: Yes. 5/?

I will work on one or possibly both of my crafting projects by the fire again until bedtime. The thermometer on my clock says it is 15ºC in my bedroom, and I believe it, so I am happy to stay where it's cozy. Brrr!

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

This all sounds very reasonable. The technique makes sense. It's just been less emphasized for folk because shifting is so much rarer.

This made me think about violin finger techniques and that in turn made me go look up  one of my favorite violin pieces of all time. :)

• Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

17 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

This made me think about violin finger techniques and that in turn made me go look up  one of my favorite violin pieces of all time. :)

I love how she waits for herself during the rests. :D 

Thank you for sharing this lovely piece of music. It makes me want to play piano again (but not enough to start this winter).

• Like 1

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

On 12/9/2021 at 1:59 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Thanks for that! It's lovely.

7 hours ago, Mistr said:

I love how she waits for herself during the rests. :D

She waits like I would wait. I was caught doing a little dance while waiting for a computer to process something the other day at work. :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tasks:

Sewing ends: 4/7

Reading:

Squatmas:

Plan:

IF:

Booth: I determined that I do not have the clamps I need. It's purchasing or sewing to advance this item.

Habits:

Elements: 1/?

Forums: 5/?

Not the most productive of days. I helped my son work his way towards finishing all the games on Board Game Arena instead (helps me too ;) ). I wanted to go for a walk tonight, but wet hair and -8ºC is a no-go. I will read and knit instead. The knitting is getting urgent.

It has been a weird day of panicked moments and very slow times in between. There was some confusion around my son's Covid test booking, and when I called, the message said they only check their phones once per week. The test is on Monday. (It took a trip to sort it out, but it's fine. I hope.) Then I found out I have an interview which interferes with my work hours, at short notice. Should also be fine (it's an internal position), though I haven't talked to my boss about it yet. Then I found out I need a police check for said interview, at short notice, which I am not sure I can get in time. And have to prepare a presentation for said interview, while I have also picked up a bunch of shifts and am still getting all the travel documentation ready. Aaah! And yet in between the panic, work was the kind of dead where you have to invent jobs to do...

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

A quick aside:

I am running a Christmas Werewolf game on Discord, starting this weekend. There are enough people to run it as is, but there are always spaces available. It may or may not be Christmas themed. It is slow, adaptable to time zone differences, and I will teach you how to play if you don't already know. If you are interested (to play or observe), please do let me know.

• Like 3

On 12/9/2021 at 6:42 AM, juliebarkley said:

The thermometer on my clock says it is 15ºC in my bedroom

🥶Why so cold?

4 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

It has been a weird day of panicked moments and very slow times in between.

What a mess!

On 12/9/2021 at 6:42 AM, juliebarkley said:

It's not the starting I'm worried about, it's the finishing! Especially if I have dumbbells added in. I'm not sure I could make 50 at bodyweight right now, and that's kind of sad for me. I can usually pull 30 and barely feel it.

I know what you meant, my point was merely that there’s no point in worrying about it in advance. Or regretting what you’ve lost. (Trust me on this one.) Just stay safe and have fun! 🙂

• Like 2
6 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

A quick aside:

I am running a Christmas Werewolf game on Discord, starting this weekend. There are enough people to run it as is, but there are always spaces available. It may or may not be Christmas themed. It is slow, adaptable to time zone differences, and I will teach you how to play if you don't already know. If you are interested (to play or observe), please do let me know.

i'm interested, let me know more about it

• Like 1

"A single spark of passion can change a man forever
A moment in a lifetime is all it takes to break it"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lpKBtgNBhB25X29RhKQVD5QgbYu0xAo3Bbfzpsj4YOc/edit#gid=0 - My Life Roadmap, updating :D

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

🥶Why so cold?

Long story short. The house is poorly insulated upstairs, especially by the windows. We had the furnace on, but it seems anemic and doesn't get the upstairs (or anywhere else) warm. So we have given it up for now, and are just using the gas fireplace in the living room with fans to try to distribute the heat to the rest of the house. At least the living room is warm. 🤷‍♀️ We may have to revise this plan as the temperature drops.

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Or regretting what you’ve lost. (Trust me on this one.)

A good point well made. It was more of a wake-up call for me that showed me that I had lost a lot. It was a bit of a shock, but really shouldn't have been.

13 hours ago, Unix said:

i'm interested, let me know more about it

Sent you a message.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tasks:

Sewing ends: 4/7

Reading:

Squatmas:

Plan:

IF:

Booth:

Habits:

Forums: 6/?

I have no business being this tired by not-even-9pm. Ridiculous. Activity that involves me getting up feels a bit of a fantasy at the moment, as does anything resembling coherent thought. Best to stay on the couch and knit until I really have to drag myself to bed.

ETA: Happy Human Rights Day to all!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Following along. :) 

Welcome!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tasks:

Sewing ends: 7/7 Completed last night and delivered today.

Reading:

Squatmas:

Plan: I listened to a podcast about goalmaking that had some good tips:

1. When looking at your list from last year, what do you regret not doing? Not to feel guilty, but to figure out what is meaningful to you that you should focus on.
  2. Make goals SMARTER - the regular SMART, but with Exciting and Risky added in. Exciting means the goal will be one you actually want to keep going on when you hit the messy middle plateau, and risky means you're pushing yourself rather than limiting yourself.
  3. Make your list visible. Review it briefly every day for the first month or so.
  4. Set 7-12 goals, but don't work on more than 3-4 at once.
  5. At the end of the year when looking at your goals, don't focus at where you fell short, but how far you have come.
  6. Probably other things I can't remember right now.

IF:

Booth: Bought some clamps. They're too small. The next size up are expensive for the number I need. I'm going to see if I have buttons that will fit the loops I sewed earlier and try that instead.

Habits:

Walk: 2/? It got warmer today and rained earlier. It got cold enough to freeze again, but still feels warmish. Took the opportunity to walk down a street I've never been down. Even though it was 1 am, the lights were so helpful they didn't let me jaywalk. 😂

Forums: 6/?

I spent a good chunk of the evening looking at roles for Werewolf, picking them out, and getting the whole thing set up for the next round. Now I really need to eat something, possibly while reading. Then maybe knitting. But probably bed. Good night friends.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

Tasks:

Sewing ends: 7/7 Done.

Reading:

Squatmas:

Plan:

IF:

Booth:

Habits:

Lists: 2/?

Forums: 7/?

That does not look like very much at all. But it's accurate. One of the first things I rolled on my list was a task I had long put off - adding descriptions to my Amazon listings. I decided if I started it, I would finish it. It took nine hours. 😳So basically nothing else happened, and now I need to eat. But I got it done. Finally.

• Like 2

Didn't end up eating last night, but had the beginnings of a headache going to bed. Had the same on waking. Now I've eaten, and like magic, the pressure is gone. Hey self, starvation is bad. Stop putting off eating. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 4

Tasks:

Coworker gifts: 4/9

Sewing ends: 7/7 Done.

Reading: It is looking like I will finish this book. :) About 2/3 of the way done now.

Squatmas:

Plan:

IF:

Booth:

Habits:

Violin: 3/? Paid more attention to my form and I definitely need to watch what I do with my wrist. Songs started out horrible but finished off not too badly.

Lists: 2/?

Forums: 7/?

Really was in the mood to get some planning done, but didn't quite get there in the end. Tied up a bunch of loose ends before the flight tomorrow instead. I haven't started prepping for my interview yet either - must make time in the next two days!

Son will be gone on his trip before I get back from work. I miss him already. :(

• Like 4

I'm just going to call this a day here. There was some foruming and little else. There could be knitting if D&D comes off. If not, there will be interview prep. If yes, there will be interview prep afterward. Nothing else on the list is getting touched tonight.

Son is on a plane. Said goodbye to him last night with a "see you in January". I need a hug, but my source of hugs is on the plane, so. 😢

Boo sadness. How am I supposed to concentrate on interview prep??

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jean said:

virtual-hug-ghost-hug.gif

Thank you. You were legally bound, because I have been in need. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not gotten as much interview prep done as I had hoped, which means I have to do most of it after 10pm the night before my interview. Not ideal, but I am crashing so hard right now that continuing will not net me any benefit. I'm going to have to fall back on past interview experience and the fact that I've worked quite a lot in this makerspace (and love it) to get me through. Good night all.

• Like 1

My lawyers didn't have the time to jump on me for that one. This is the one they've actually requested I send:

giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e47w2hdnhe5y1rftovjw

You're going to do awesome at your interview. G'night!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

21 hours ago, Jean said:

You're going to do awesome at your interview. G'night!

5 hours ago, Mistr said:

I hope your interview goes well!

Thanks to you both! :)

Time for me to buckle down, review my resume and notes, and remind myself that I'm actually damn good at what I do and I just need to sell it.

Odd moment happened today.

Spoiler

I briefly checked on a colleague who was having a moment shortly after I got to work. An overreaction to an incident due to a buildup of anxiety - I understand this very well right now. Later, she made an offhand comment to someone else about how I am always so calm, and nothing gets to me. The irony? I have been fighting anxious waves strong enough that I've been nauseated since last night and all day today (due the travel and the interview; god, it's so much easier to deal with it when you have a concrete cause!). The whole horrid last couple of months? No one knew. No one suspected a damn thing. I show very little, and I project confidence and calm whether I feel it or not. (So basically I have shown more online than I show anyone in real life, ever. 😅) Not that I didn't already know this, but the moment just sort of drove it home. Not sure if it's a good or a bad or just a personality thing, but I sure hope I can harness it for the interview tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

36 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

Time for me to buckle down, review my resume and notes, and remind myself that I'm actually damn good at what I do and I just need to sell it.

You can do it GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1