Hi there! I'm Lucia. I've been reading tons on the blog and playing around with the app, also tried to make friends on Discord. It's so good to meet you all!

I am a psychology student, ironically caught up in stagnation because of studying from home. My superpower is baking cakes that make people come back for more and more... :D A self-proclaimed ambivert, I love all things productivity and skincare related.

In my private time I work on embracing the archetypes of the Queen, the Protector, the Wise Woman and the Dreamer. I love languages - currently focusing on German and Spanish. I'm totally new to the fitness world, so I don't really know what I like or what I'm good at. Hopefully the Journey app will provide an inspiration. I mostly struggle with getting bored quickly - the grass is always greener on the other side. Any tips for that?

Beloved franchises:

• Stargate (especially Atlantis)
  • Lie to Me
  • Dr. House
  • Final Fantasy VIII and XV
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Ace Attorney
  • CHERUB by Robert Muchamore (his fault for making me pick up Spanish)
  • W.I.T.C.H. (the first few sagas are just yes)
  • Digimon (only the original Japanese version)

...aaand probably some other things that I don't remember now.

Thanks for having me over :)

• Like 4

~*~
"Darkness dissolved and a new day began.
The Light of Meridian returned to shine once again.
And never again would anyone stop its splendor."

~*~

Challenges: 1

Welcome! What I find helps to not get bored is to  allow myself room to chase some shinies. So, I might have a written program that I follow, but I will also make time to try the new thing that someone else is doing and I want to try. I also switch it up some. I do different things like kettlebell, rings, gymanstic type stuff, bodyweight, etc. I'm probably not ever going to be an expert in any one thing, but it keeps me interested and moving

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hi Lucia and welcome! 👋

I think trying all the things as they suit your fancy is a fun way to pass the time and get exercise! It could help you figure out what you like too! Plus it just keeps things exciting. We had leisure gym in high school where we got to try a new thing almost every week. It was a lot of fun. I don’t think they have a grown up version though. 

PS I like cake

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

The first cake is something I made for my brother. I was so fed up with trying to stick chocolate to the sides 😂 Pro tip - don't stick dark chocolate on white frosting. Color the frosting. Anyway, it's a Schwarzwald cake.

The second one is a Sachertore for my grandfather's 90th birthday. It's a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and some apricot jam inside. Also first time trying to write something on top, thankfully the surface was hardened. 

On Friday/Saturday I'll post my own birthday cake. December is a baking season! 🤩

4 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

What I find helps to not get bored is to  allow myself room to chase some shinies.

4 hours ago, Rookie said:

I think trying all the things as they suit your fancy is a fun way to pass the time and get exercise!

Thanks! You're right - I'm still just building a habit after all. Also that leisure gym sounds amazing.

251038215_465808681527303_6632186586993289840_n.jpg

260833512_280980463970401_6289645453706257063_n.jpg

Edit: I didn't know it would post so big 😲

• Like 4

~*~

~*~

11 hours ago, Lucia Aethera said:

I am a psychology student, ironically caught up in stagnation because of studying from home. My superpower is baking cakes that make people come back for more and more... :D A self-proclaimed ambivert, I love all things productivity and skincare related.

Ooh, we have a skincare nerd. Allow me to summon @Scaly Freak

By the way, I read a super interesting book called Beyond Soap just now, and am interested in trying a super minimalist regimen, since doing nothing at all to my skin seems to have helped it more than a bunch of products. But could it be even better?

11 hours ago, Lucia Aethera said:

In my private time I work on embracing the archetypes of the Queen, the Protector, the Wise Woman and the Dreamer. I love languages - currently focusing on German and Spanish. I'm totally new to the fitness world, so I don't really know what I like or what I'm good at. Hopefully the Journey app will provide an inspiration. I mostly struggle with getting bored quickly - the grass is always greener on the other side. Any tips for that?

Oooh, tell me about the archetypes? Do you do any readings or practices?

As for the fitness, I would suggest trying many things that are quite different from each other--you just never know beforehand what you'll fall in love with. Obviously it will be barbells, but try some other things, too: climbing, martial arts, skating, frisbee.

And there are several german speakers and learners here. Wilkommen!

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Hallo Harriet :D

Here in Poland we're lucky to have a super informed community who takes time to learn all about skincare ingredients, so thankfully there's a market for it. There are brands that you can blindly trust as a beginner; you'll know the company changed its policy if there's an outrage on Facebook 😂 It's even more amazing because tons of really good products are avaliable for a medium to low price.

I can relate to you as someone with normal if a little acne-prone skin. I mostly use products hydrating products, since my skin will accept anything as long as it's not too heavy and it doesn't have particular issues. Right now I'm testing creams with niacinamide and ceramides to fix some mechanical damage (too much picking 🙃). As a wise girl from YouTube once said, the absolute minimum regimen is cleansing (micelar water and mild cleanser) and face cream. You can add a serum if you wanna go wild, vit. C is a universally good choice, or maybe some hydrating stuff.

...not to mention proper hair care (also a great community here), which is just a dream, but that's enough for one post xD

The Queen: right now I'm focusing on peaceful confidence (speaking loud and clear, looking into people's eyes instead of looking away and so on). The other aspects I want to work on are obviously appearance (raise that minimum lazy standard), being proactive - making decisions and suggesting actions instead of waiting for others to do so (Tim Ferris :)) Oh, and reliability too.

The Protector: I tend to get anxious when something happens to those around me. I want to practise belief in other people, in their skill to overcome any obstacle so that they can believe in themselves. On the other hand I want to practise calm assertiveness, be it for myself or others. I also want to be able to speak my mind clearly, even if the opinion isn't necessarily mainstream, and hold my position with well thought-out arguments. More proactiveness, this time with helping or offering to help others rather than waiting to be asked.

The Wise Woman: The main inspiration for it is Yan Lin from the W.i.t.c.h. comic. I want to collect experiences to one day become that quirky grandma with a sense of humor who knows the answer for everything :D The first step is to talk less, which means in this case not to give advice unless asked for. Observe things without judgement, and read wise people to hear what they have to say. Find a code to live by, one that is tried and true.

The Dreamer: I should say the Magical Child archetype, but this one sounds a little more serious xD I want to nurture my naturally merry-go-lucky nature and strengthen it by becoming resourceful and trusting my skills in unknown situations. There are times when the happy attitude is just a mask, and I want it to be true, no matter the circumstances. The plan so far is to log all the successes, so that I have proof I can do stuff even if I initially panic.

I think it all ties into Sofia the First one neat persona. Someone who's not afraid to lead if needs be, but prefers to be a second-in-command. Someone upbeat who holds the vision even if everything points otherwise. Someone who'll nurture and protect. Someone who knows when to speak and when to listen.

.................but I'll plan it all in more detail once I have this freaking paper written. All of this is a fun distraction right now 😂 But I'll finally turn it into a proper plan, with goals and whatnot.

54 minutes ago, Harriet said:

you just never know beforehand what you'll fall in love with. Obviously it will be barbells, but try some other things, too: climbing, martial arts, skating, frisbee.

There is one sitting on top of a shelf, mocking me xD I tried picking up just a bar for that big one. THAT STUFF'S HEAVY. If it's so heavy, then does picking it up once or twice build denser muscles? 😂

• Like 1

~*~

~*~

32 minutes ago, Lucia Aethera said:

relate to you as someone with normal if a little acne-prone skin. I mostly use products hydrating products, since my skin will accept anything as long as it's not too heavy and it doesn't have particular issues. Right now I'm testing creams with niacinamide and ceramides to fix some mechanical damage (too much picking 🙃). As a wise girl from YouTube once said, the absolute minimum regimen is cleansing (micelar water and mild cleanser) and face cream. You can add a serum if you wanna go wild, vit. C is a universally good choice, or maybe some hydrating stuff.

Oh man, I have a problem with compulsive picking, too 😑 I swear most of my skin problems these days are self inflicted. Someone please make me stop.

...not to mention proper hair care (also a great community here), which is just a dream, but that's enough for one post xD

With hair as with skin I have found that less is more. Less heat, fewer chemicals, washing less often, not overbrushing or using styles likely to cause damage and tangling. And no sulfate shampoo, maybe.

The Queen: right now I'm focusing on peaceful confidence (speaking loud and clear, looking into people's eyes instead of looking away and so on). The other aspects I want to work on are obviously appearance (raise that minimum lazy standard), being proactive - making decisions and suggesting actions instead of waiting for others to do so (Tim Ferris :)) Oh, and reliability too.

The Protector: I tend to get anxious when something happens to those around me. I want to practise belief in other people, in their skill to overcome any obstacle so that they can believe in themselves. On the other hand I want to practise calm assertiveness, be it for myself or others. I also want to be able to speak my mind clearly, even if the opinion isn't necessarily mainstream, and hold my position with well thought-out arguments. More proactiveness, this time with helping or offering to help others rather than waiting to be asked.

The Wise Woman: The main inspiration for it is Yan Lin from the W.i.t.c.h. comic. I want to collect experiences to one day become that quirky grandma with a sense of humor who knows the answer for everything :D The first step is to talk less, which means in this case not to give advice unless asked for. Observe things without judgement, and read wise people to hear what they have to say. Find a code to live by, one that is tried and true.

The Dreamer: I should say the Magical Child archetype, but this one sounds a little more serious xD I want to nurture my naturally merry-go-lucky nature and strengthen it by becoming resourceful and trusting my skills in unknown situations. There are times when the happy attitude is just a mask, and I want it to be true, no matter the circumstances. The plan so far is to log all the successes, so that I have proof I can do stuff even if I initially panic.

I think it all ties into Sofia the First one neat persona. Someone who's not afraid to lead if needs be, but prefers to be a second-in-command. Someone upbeat who holds the vision even if everything points otherwise. Someone who'll nurture and protect. Someone who knows when to speak and when to listen.

Interesting! They all sound like great things to work on. I am more working on my Crone game - being authentic without fear of other people's disapproval, trusting my intuition and not letting outside influences drown out my inner voice.

There is one sitting on top of a shelf, mocking me xD I tried picking up just a bar for that big one. THAT STUFF'S HEAVY.

Yeah, a proper barbell should be 20kg/44lb. It's intimidating and it took me a little while to figure out how to handle it. Like how to get it from the ground back to the rack. Or from the rack to the ground.

If it's so heavy, then does picking it up once or twice build denser muscles? 😂

Yes and no. Not sure what you mean about dense muscles--muscles are muscles unless they're swollen with water. But yes, you always match the number of repetitions to the weight in order to get a set that's challenging but non-fatal. So if a weight is heavier, then you can and must do fewer repetitions. An optimal programme would incorporate a variety of rep ranges, and it's usually recommended to use something like 8-12 reps for muscle growth. But I hate high reps and my favourite training range is 3-5 reps--it's a good range for building strength, but also has a decent effect on muscle growth, especially for beginners.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Oh man, I have a problem with compulsive picking, too 😑 I swear most of my skin problems these days are self inflicted. Someone please make me stop.

EXACTLY. It's such a difficult thing to stop, especially when it becomes a daily habit.

With hair as with skin I have found that less is more. Less heat, fewer chemicals, washing less often, not overbrushing or using styles likely to cause damage and tangling. And no sulfate shampoo, maybe.

I have dyed hair so while it used to be fine with anything, now it gets dry easily. But with a bit of humectants and emolients it's as good as new ❤️ Us superheros gotta look good for headlines 24/7 😂

Interesting! They all sound like great things to work on. I am more working on my Crone game - being authentic without fear of other people's disapproval, trusting my intuition and not letting outside influences drown out my inner voice.

Would you elaborate on the Crone game thing? What is it based on?

Yeah, a proper barbell should be 20kg/44lb. It's intimidating and it took me a little while to figure out how to handle it. Like how to get it from the ground back to the rack. Or from the rack to the ground.

Yes and no. Not sure what you mean about dense muscles--muscles are muscles unless they're swollen with water. But yes, you always match the number of repetitions to the weight in order to get a set that's challenging but non-fatal. So if a weight is heavier, then you can and must do fewer repetitions. An optimal programme would incorporate a variety of rep ranges, and it's usually recommended to use something like 8-12 reps for muscle growth. But I hate high reps and my favourite training range is 3-5 reps--it's a good range for building strength, but also has a decent effect on muscle growth, especially for beginners.

I think I remember Steve writing that small weight + lots of reps builds less tightly packed muscles while big weight + less reps builds  more tightly packed muscles. Then again, he did mention that women don't bulk easily. I guess that's not a beginner problem either 😂

• Like 1

~*~

~*~

37 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Woo those cakes look amazing! I bet they tasted amazing. 

Thank you! I'll post a Red Velvet cake in a few days :D

39 minutes ago, Rookie said:

You have put a lot of though into archetypes and who you want to be. That’s great! It’s a very interesting way to think about it. 

I've had the general image for years, but now it's the right time to clarify it and actually turn it into actionable steps. The Journey app actually makes it easier since it shows how to create tiny steps.

• Like 1

~*~

~*~

50 minutes ago, Lucia Aethera said:

Would you elaborate on the Crone game thing? What is it based on?

I believe the crone archetype comes from the women's spirituality movement of the 70s that grew out of second wave feminism (especially e.g. Mary Daly). A lot of women of my mother's age read Women Who Run with the Wolves, which is a collection of folk stories centred on the archetype of the wild woman. But the theme also shows up in modern Wicca which aims to reclaim the figure of the "witch" as well as rediscover/recreate positive and powerful feminine archetypes.

50 minutes ago, Lucia Aethera said:

I think I remember Steve writing that small weight + lots of reps builds less tightly packed muscles while big weight + less reps builds  more tightly packed muscles. Then again, he did mention that women don't bulk easily. I guess that's not a beginner problem either 😂

With all respect to Steve, I don't think that's true. High reps get you a temporary "pump" which is swelling caused by muscle damage (actually a good thing, in small amounts, as it is the stimulus to grow back bigger/stronger). But strength is strength and hypertrophy is hypertrophy. There are no non-dense muscles. If people look fluffy rather than compact, it's because of bodyfat percentage. I'll just share this chart from stronger by science: essentially, very low reps (1-3) are best for strength and learning how to produce maximum effort. Low, medium, and somewhat higher reps all get you a mix of strength and size. And very high reps (like over 15 or 20) start to take you into endurance territory. But there's great overlap.

Spoiler

12752057_10153492667389016_1119053659_o-

Women don't bulk as fast as men, especially young men, but you can still put on a decent bit of muscle if you try. Enough to make skinny jeans uncomfortably tight at the knees, anyway.

Oh, I think I have that book somewhere around the house! It sounds interesting. The closest thing to folk tales/women's spirituality I read was The Original 13 Clan Mothers by Jamie Sams and it heavily inspired the vision that I hold. Would you share how you put the theme to action? What kind of goals do you set, what steps?

So the point is, a girl doesn't worry xD I'll try barbells tomorrow to mix things up. (Btw, technical question. Are there different names for the big and small barbell? :D) I'll go for endurance route since it's easier than having to pull out a giant metal rod from behind the bed. 

Edit: Okay, I just saw your Quarter of Earth thread. Do you do a quarter for each element?

• Like 1

~*~

~*~

I'm such a sucker for elemental themes; hence the four archetypes 😂 I love them to the point where I have accurate decor each quarter - spring and air, summer and fire, fall and water and finally winter and earth. There are a few systems around, but I personally put earth and ice qualities together - both cold, heavy, unmoving, unlike running water which is life-giving (earth in this case acting as a frozen soil). At some point I rotated the 3 quarterly goals between 3 zodiac signs of each element, like for earth (Dec-Feb) taking control of nutrition (Taurus), setting up healthy routines (Virgo) and creating an idea for a career (Capricorn). Then again, I used all of that purely as inspiration, rather than going deep into it. I find that zodiac is a good, comprehensive blueprint for life, as in it touches on every aspect. 

...would it be okay to join the challenge on the third day after it began?

• Like 1

~*~

~*~

42 minutes ago, Lucia Aethera said:

It's okay to join when you can and at whatever day works best for you.  The challenges are suppose to help us and make it easier to develop health y habits. If they become a source of stress in your life, they are not working as intended. 

So I was summoned for skincare nerdery? And I saw haircare mentioned? 

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

2 hours ago, Lucia Aethera said:

I've had the general image for years, but now it's the right time to clarify it and actually turn it into actionable steps. The Journey app actually makes it easier since it shows how to create tiny steps.

Is the app literally called "Journey"? I may need to look for this. 

And please do post that picture! Will you make a challenge thread? its a 3 week challenge so it might be good to get your feet wet. I just see you asked LOL there have been people who literally join the last week before.

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

4 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

So I was summoned for skincare nerdery?

Yes indeed.

48 minutes ago, Lucia Aethera said:

Definitely!

1 hour ago, Lucia Aethera said:

Oh, I think I have that book somewhere around the house! It sounds interesting. The closest thing to folk tales/women's spirituality I read was The Original 13 Clan Mothers by Jamie Sams and it heavily inspired the vision that I hold. Would you share how you put the theme to action? What kind of goals do you set, what steps?

Well, I had a year of challenges I named the Year of Metal, and I tried to break out of expectations in different ways and explore things I felt were not approved of by others: I got back into metal, stopped wearing makeup, started choosing clothes I like, embarked on a writing project of my choice, made art that I like rather than art that's cool, had some difficult but important discussions with friends, and started finding out about and practicing pagan spirituality.

So the point is, a girl doesn't worry xD I'll try barbells tomorrow to mix things up. (Btw, technical question. Are there different names for the big and small barbell? :D) I'll go for endurance route since it's easier than having to pull out a giant metal rod from behind the bed. 

I have no idea what small barbells are. Standard barbells are big, like 6 feet maybe?

Edit: Okay, I just saw your Quarter of Earth thread. Do you do a quarter for each element?

I was thinking about it! This would be the first, though. But I'm still deciding how to structure the next year.

There are many different kinds of barbells, and they are all used a bit differently.  The most common one is un-creatively called a "standard barbell", but then there are fixed barbells, trap barbells, olympic barbells.... if you have a picture, or links to pictures, we can probably help you with more specific terms.

(Did we mention I am also a bit of a barbell nerd? That's what the double-bladed axe is all about ;)

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Pfffffff~ Apparently the "baby barbells" (doesn't that just sound right xD) are called DUMBBELLS. Nevermind 🤣

Hi Scaly Freak! How are you? :D I had a whole lecture about the balance of PEH on the tip of my tongue. One amazing thing about haircare that I discovered was that if you use regular blond dye every couple weeks instead one one big bleach, you get the time to add hydration and oil in between dyeing which makes your hair super soft and healthy rather than dry bleached ❤️ Okay, I'll stop there. TLDR: haircare cool.

Rookie! I meant the NF Journey app (unless you made a joke that went over my head 😆) And thanks for asking. I will join, but I have to think more about what goal to set and whyy. My brain is already turning into a magpie dazzled by all the shinies. This goal is cool but this one's useful and I've always wanted to do that one~ CHOSING ONE OR EVEN THREE IS HARD

Spoiler

Shiny! - Intense Magpie | Meme Generator

Harriet, how did you keep up inspiration throughout that year? From what you say, you had a bunch of shinies of your own.

Edit: Is the maximum number of posts per day a newbie mechanic? I guess I'll spend the evening thinking about setting goals for the challenge. It only seems fitting to start on a birthday.

~*~

~*~

15 minutes ago, Lucia Aethera said:

Hi Scaly Freak! How are you? :D I had a whole lecture about the balance of PEH on the tip of my tongue. One amazing thing about haircare that I discovered was that if you use regular blond dye every couple weeks instead one one big bleach, you get the time to add hydration and oil in between dyeing which makes your hair super soft and healthy rather than dry bleached ❤️ Okay, I'll stop there. TLDR: haircare cool.

Depending on where you live and what your budget is... Olaplex could be your friend.  ;) 

26 minutes ago, Lucia Aethera said:

Pfffffff~ Apparently the "baby barbells" (doesn't that just sound right xD) are called DUMBBELLS. Nevermind 🤣

Lol I had no idea that's what you meant. Your description of tiny barbells just did not connect with my mental representation of dumbbells for some reason.

Harriet, how did you keep up inspiration throughout that year? From what you say, you had a bunch of shinies of your own.

The motivation comes and goes, primarily as a result of overdoing things, I think. But I always come back to wanting more out of my life. So I keep trying, with more and less success. You just... keep throwing things at the wall and some of them stick.

Edit: Is the maximum number of posts per day a newbie mechanic? I guess I'll spend the evening thinking about setting goals for the challenge. It only seems fitting to start on a birthday.

Must be. Is it your birthday? Many happy returns!

5 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Depending on where you live and what your budget is... Olaplex could be your friend.  ;) 

We have it here! But it's kinda out of my budget for now. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

Lol I had no idea that's what you meant. Your description of tiny barbells just did not connect with my mental representation of dumbbells for some reason.

For some reason the nickname "baby barbell" just sounds right 😂

The motivation comes and goes, primarily as a result of overdoing things, I think. But I always come back to wanting more out of my life. So I keep trying, with more and less success. You just... keep throwing things at the wall and some of them stick.

And you have fun in the process! That's an important part to keep in mind.

Must be. Is it your birthday? Many happy returns!

It's today actually. Thank you very much!

4 hours ago, vicious said:

Long ago, the four nations lived in harmony... 🌊🪨🔥💨

Also, hello and nice to meet you 👋

Hi vicious! I couldn't reply before, but nice to meet you too. Avatar provides such great inspiration on the symbolism of elements ❤️ 

• Like 2

~*~

~*~