Forum Member Survey!! Please help us help you :)

Hello everyone!

We've created a forum member survey and would absolutely love if you would fill it out for us.

Survey Link

It doesn't matter if you've been a member for 10 minutes, or 10 years - you are welcome to fill it out.

A few notes:

• The survey is COMPLETELY ANONYMOUS
  • I'll be using this to focus on changes to make the forums better for all of us - so please be constructive in your feedback.  Please voice your concerns, and let us know what's not working, but also think about what WOULD work for you instead, too. This kind of feedback really helps us figure out how everyone is using the forums and what we're all looking to get out of our time here :)
  • I've kept most of the answers free form, because I want to hear feedback in your own words - but there is a 200 word limit on each question. 
  • You can find it here: Survey Link

I think that's it!  Reply below if you have any questions or issues with the form!

------> Survey Link <----

(cross posted in multiple places :) )

• Like 4
I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I'm trying to do it now and it's cutting me off at 200 characters, not 200 words.

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

I'm trying to do it now and it's cutting me off at 200 characters, not 200 words.

Oof. Updated! Sorry about that!

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I wouldn't have known about this if there had not been a link to the survey itself in the holiday chatter thread, an I knew this was coming. Any plans for making this a bit more visible and/or promoting it across he forms?

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

55 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

I wouldn't have known about this if there had not been a link to the survey itself in the holiday chatter thread, an I knew this was coming. Any plans for making this a bit more visible and/or promoting it across he forms?

Is there a place that would be helpful to see this? 

I've created an announcement that should show up across all pages, as well as cross posted this in this subforum, Rebel Army base camp,  in the main Challenges forum, and made an announcement in Discord.

Not arguing, here - I would like to get this out to as many people as possible, but I'm not sure where outside of these locations would be helpful. 

How do you normally find new content on the forums? 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Is there a place that would be helpful to see this? 

I've created an announcement that should show up across all pages, as well as cross posted this in this subforum, Rebel Army base camp,  in the main Challenges forum, and made an announcement in Discord.

I'm not in the NF Discord server, so I can't speak to that one. As for the other locations, I couldn't see anything there, including the announcement bar, at the time I made my earlier post. (I'm guessing they weren't posted or loading when I was looking earlier.) I can see the blue announcement bar at the top now, which is very helpful.

31 minutes ago, spezzy said:

How do you normally find new content on the forums? 

90% of the time, I just check the threads I'm following. A side-effect of this is that during challenges I completely miss when a new thread is posted in the Challenges forum, because I don't navigate that actual forum. I go to individual threads via my notifications page , because manually navigating 3-5 pages of threads is time consuming and clunky. I also browse the non-challenge sub forums a couple of times per week, but not all of them. And of course I always read the announcements that occasionally show up at the top of the forum page, because they tend to be important. :) 

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Thanks for polling us out. I like the format and it's always great to give feedback and know you are caring about our wants. Good luck reading every single one answer and trying to make the best of them all. ^^

Also, I'd add a line in the first message of this topic as well as in the survey description to tell roughly how long it takes to make it, so that we get to it in the right mindset without risking being rushed for time. It took me roughly 10 minutes.

• Like 2

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

On 12/15/2021 at 6:41 PM, Scaly Freak said:

90% of the time, I just check the threads I'm following. A side-effect of this is that during challenges I completely miss when a new thread is posted in the Challenges forum, because I don't navigate that actual forum

I also do this, sort of. I make sure I comment in the threads of people I know when they're first up, and then I just scan for the star symbol or use the custom sort by threads I've posted in. That means I might miss people's threads if they put them up late. I'm still figuring out how best to use the functions and pages and stuff.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

So if I or anyone else who said we'd never have found this without the blue announcement bar, try to claim in the survey that we spend a lot of time outside the challenge threads, you now know we'd be lying :D 

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2021 at 9:04 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I'm glad you put the big blue banner up at the top or I would never have even know this existed

How do you typically find new forum content? 

On 12/17/2021 at 5:48 AM, Harriet said:

I also do this, sort of. I make sure I comment in the threads of people I know when they're first up, and then I just scan for the star symbol or use the custom sort by threads I've posted in. That means I might miss people's threads if they put them up late. I'm still figuring out how best to use the functions and pages and stuff.

On 12/17/2021 at 7:25 AM, Scaly Freak said:

So if I or anyone else who said we'd never have found this without the blue announcement bar, try to claim in the survey that we spend a lot of time outside the challenge threads, you now know we'd be lying :D 

Honestly, this information/conversation is great because it shows me how you're using the forums, or not using the forums, and what things are clear/not clear.  So thank you - and anyone else feel free to chime in here, too :)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, spezzy said:

How do you typically find new forum content? 

Like this:

On 12/16/2021 at 1:41 AM, Scaly Freak said:

90% of the time, I just check the threads I'm following. A side-effect of this is that during challenges I completely miss when a new thread is posted in the Challenges forum, because I don't navigate that actual forum. I go to individual threads via my notifications page

Essentially doing 95% of my forum navigation from the "New Followed Content" activity stream

• Like 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Essentially doing 95% of my forum navigation from the "New Followed Content" activity stream

Yep.

And every time, at the end of each challenge, I remember that I probably should have looked for newcomers and I feel bad that I and everyone else who uses the forum the way I do probably didn't even notice that there were first-time challengers who might have appreciated some attention :( 

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Like this:

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

Yep.

And every time, at the end of each challenge, I remember that I probably should have looked for newcomers and I feel bad that I and everyone else who uses the forum the way I do probably didn't even notice that there were first-time challengers who might have appreciated some attention :( 

How do we find the content to follow in the first place, though? :) 

Or are we saying that you only are on the Challenge forums, not the other forums, and the first week of the challenge you follow who you want to follow and then only check "followed content" until a new challenge is up? 

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Something happened to the home page?

I'm not sure - can you give a little more detail here? 

10 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Or are we saying that you only are on the Challenge forums, not the other forums, and the first week of the challenge you follow who you want to follow and then only check "followed content" until a new challenge is up? 

Speaking for myself, yes. I spend week 0 and a part of Week 1 finding everyone, and then I just check my notifications behind the the bell for the rest of the challenge. Finding everyone doesn't require me to browse the new challenge forum as much as it might, because almost all the people I follow will put a link to their new challenge at the end of the old thread I already follow, so that makes it easy for me to find them

If I don't have the links in the old threads to rely on, I browse the list of challenge threads and look for the people I wish to follow. The tagging system helps a little bit, but if someone has forgotten to add their tags, using the filters at the top of the challenge forum only serves to hide them from view. Since I know that's more common than it should be, I don't use the filters. Instead I read through page after page of challenges and look for specific names, and I do that perhaps once, at most twice, per challenge period, because doing it every evening takes too long to be practical.

I sometimes go to the last page of challenge threads and post "how are things going?" in the threads there, but if the thread has been sitting untouched for a couple of weeks, I don't know how much good that does.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Speaking for myself, yes. I spend week 0 and a part of Week 1 finding everyone, and then I just check my notifications behind the the bell for the rest of the challenge. Finding everyone doesn't require me to browse the new challenge forum as much as it might, because almost all the people I follow will put a link to their new challenge at the end of the old thread I already follow, so that makes it easy for me to find them

This is true for me as well.  At the end of week 1 or so I will go through and do a search for anyone who tagged themselves as Assassin so I make sure to find everyone from my guild as well.  

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

12 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

If I don't have the links in the old threads to rely on, I browse the list of challenge threads and look for the people I wish to follow. The tagging system helps a little bit, but if someone has forgotten to add their tags, using the filters at the top of the challenge forum only serves to hide them from view. Since I know that's more common than it should be, I don't use the filters. Instead I read through page after page of challenges and look for specific names, and I do that perhaps once, at most twice, per challenge period, because doing it every evening takes too long to be practical.

I sometimes go to the last page of challenge threads and post "how are things going?" in the threads there, but if the thread has been sitting untouched for a couple of weeks, I don't know how much good that does.

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is true for me as well.  At the end of week 1 or so I will go through and do a search for anyone who tagged themselves as Assassin so I make sure to find everyone from my guild as well.  

So it sounds like as forum members, you're using just the challenges to keep up with friends you already know, and maybe some guild members, but outside of that, not using the forums - would you say that's right?

Is there anything that would make you venture out of the challenges and use the rest of the forums? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, spezzy said:

So it sounds like as forum members, you're using just the challenges to keep up with friends you already know, and maybe some guild members, but outside of that, not using the forums - would you say that's right?

Not 100% accurate, but close enough.

3 hours ago, spezzy said:

Is there anything that would make you venture out of the challenges and use the rest of the forums? 

My forum habits aren't intentional. They're a side-effect of following a larger number of people than I intended and not wanting to stop following any of them. I have a limited number of time in the evenings, and by the time I am done with the threads I follow, that time is either over, or what little is left isn't nearly enough to sift through the very long list that is the rest of the challenge threads to try and find the lone newbie Warrior or Druid, that I don't even try.

There are some I just don't go to. I have no interest in the Meetups forum, so I never open it. The same goes for the Running/Walking/Cardio forum... I don't do either, so I can't really contribute. Hardly anyone I follow do a battle logs, so no reason to go there. Essentially, I'm here for the community, and the challenge forum is where the community activity is. And thanks to proactive friends who make it easy for them to find their challenges, the amount of time I need to spend on filtering out seven guilds' worth of white noise to find the challenges I am interested in, is limited to a manageable amount, and once we leave Week 1, that becomes a non-issue anyway. :) 

On 12/21/2021 at 2:47 AM, spezzy said:

I'm not sure - can you give a little more detail here? 

Instead of the normal forum overview I’m getting a filtered list of just all topics in a row maybe? All pinned content first. 3k+ pages x)
ETA: ah yes it says “showing topics from all forums”. I’m browsing by phone. 
ETA2: it's normal on my laptop

I do normally browse the forums a bit, especially the latest challenge and then sort by start date so I can see the new threads to check if it’s anyone I want to be following. Occasionally the other forums and when I have then I click on mark everything as read so I can easily see when something new comes up. 

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Instead of the normal forum overview I’m getting a filtered list of just all topics in a row maybe? All pinned content first. 3k+ pages x)
ETA: ah yes it says “showing topics from all forums”. I’m browsing by phone. 
ETA2: it's normal on my laptop

I do normally browse the forums a bit, especially the latest challenge and then sort by start date so I can see the new threads to check if it’s anyone I want to be following. Occasionally the other forums and when I have then I click on mark everything as read so I can easily see when something new comes up. 

oh weird! Do you get that going to rebellion.nerdfitness.com directly? 

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

oh weird! Do you get that going to rebellion.nerdfitness.com directly? 

Yes, and also when I click the home button or the NF logo in the upper left corner. Very weird! 

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

47 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Yes, and also when I click the home button or the NF logo in the upper left corner. Very weird! 

Thank you!! I'll figure out everything that's going on :)

• Like 1

Hi Spezz 👋

I forgot to say it in the survey and it's so important for you guys to know - thank you so much for making these workouts noob-friendly. I've tried a few programs and they're such a turn off for someone who's a total beginner because they're too long and exhausting (to be clear - they are great in general, just not for someone who doesn't have the habit established yet). And the workouts here are short and sweet. They create little resistance, even right before bed. 

I've been exercising consistently for over a week, not to mention all the walking and occasional messing with dumbbells - and that's more than I've done in past years. Thanks guys for all the work you do ❤️ 

Also turns out even wall slides can be exhausting when done properly 😂 And they look so innocent...

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 1

~*~
"Darkness dissolved and a new day began.
The Light of Meridian returned to shine once again.
And never again would anyone stop its splendor."

~*~

Challenges: 1