Monk's Monastery

Monk related discussions! 

*Note: You can participate in guild discussions regardless of your chosen guild. 

Monks can kick your ass with their fists and feet, and they can do it before you even know what's happened. Incredibly agile, lightning fast, and loaded with power, Monks specialize in martial arts to stay in shape and destroy the opposition.  

* Fictional example: Neo (The Matrix); Beatrix Kiddo (Kill Bill); Black Widow (Marvel) UFC Fighters Georges St. Pierre & Ronda Rousey

* Real-world example: UFC Fighters Georges St. Pierre & Ronda Rousey

* Typical Activities: MMA, BJJ, Karate

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Hello, friend-Monks!

I'm back on my at-home (for now) Muay Thai bullshite this challenge and looking forward to sharing the Monastery with everyone.

Kickboxer ( Van Damme ) Kick the tree on Make a GIF

[Level ??] Half-orc Witcher (Blood Hunter/Ranger)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Hunter's padded armor & longcoat, Novigrad longsword & flintlock, Adventurer's pack & alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Ooo, I need to follow this! There may be bokken talk at some point, that I want to eavesdrop on.  :) 

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40

On 1/4/2022 at 11:51 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Ooo, I need to follow this! There may be bokken talk at some point, that I want to eavesdrop on.  :) 

Bokken talk is good talk. Simulated weapons training is a blast!

• Like 1

[Level ??] Half-orc Witcher (Blood Hunter/Ranger)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Hunter's padded armor & longcoat, Novigrad longsword & flintlock, Adventurer's pack & alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

8 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Bokken talk is good talk. Simulated weapons training is a blast!

Can confirm. Although I have to admit, I have Very Strong Preferences for the simulations, and there's not really anyone around me that can offer what I'm looking for. There's a YouTube channel called Hard2Hurt that 's lately gotten into the weeds on some of that stuff. It's a lot of fun, for a certain bent of person, but it's the kind of thing I'd want to do if I had my say in it.

On 1/4/2022 at 12:51 PM, Scaly Freak said:

Be the change you want to see in the world. What sort of bokken training do you do/want to do?

I have just realized that this is basically space naginata (though @ChrisWithaStick may take issue with that characterization)...

9799acd7d005097f6591880dc9659074c58dbbfb

...and in a not-quite-post-pandemic world, I'm currently liking martial arts where I can keep people at the other end of a six foot pole. Sadly, there is no local space or terran naginata training. If there were, I would so work it into a future challenge.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Be the change you want to see in the world. What sort of bokken training do you do/want to do?

In a long distant past of mine (high school) I practiced kendo for a couple of semesters. These days I do it mainly as a kind of full-body mindfulness - move slowly and focus on muscle activation, and tune out my surroundings, that sort of things. it's mentally very restful, and I don't do it as often as I should.

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40

16 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

In a long distant past of mine (high school) I practiced kendo for a couple of semesters. These days I do it mainly as a kind of full-body mindfulness - move slowly and focus on muscle activation, and tune out my surroundings, that sort of things. it's mentally very restful, and I don't do it as often as I should.

I miss training as a form of meditation. Sadly, aikido is high contact training, and sort of poor for a pandemic. (And also not too convenient commute-wise at the moment.) But there is something very centering about walking onto the mat.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 7/6/2022 at 1:54 PM, sarakingdom said:

I miss training as a form of meditation. Sadly, aikido is high contact training, and sort of poor for a pandemic. (And also not too convenient commute-wise at the moment.) But there is something very centering about walking onto the mat.

Having someone try to hit you focuses the mind amazingly. B)

We have been doing aikido masked since last fall. Everyone is also required to be vaccinated and boostered. So far, no one has caught anything at the dojo. We are working hard to counter the historic martial arts practice of training regardless of being sick.

As you say, having a stick is handy for keeping distance. If you are interested in naginata training, check out https://sugawarabudo.com/. A branch of this organization trains in our dojo space. They do cool stuff.

• Like 1

Level 66  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

On 7/6/2022 at 9:09 AM, sarakingdom said:

I have just realized that this is basically space naginata (though @ChrisWithaStick may take issue with that characterization)...

9799acd7d005097f6591880dc9659074c58dbbfb

...and in a not-quite-post-pandemic world, I'm currently liking martial arts where I can keep people at the other end of a six foot pole. Sadly, there is no local space or terran naginata training. If there were, I would so work it into a future challenge.

It's a bit short, and the blade is more like a spade than a short sword or a glaive.  Ours are around 7.5 ft or so, with the blade around 15-18".   Maybe a dueling axe? 

On 7/6/2022 at 11:54 AM, sarakingdom said:

Aren't there solo jo forms, and a handful of solo exercises?  Could always do some cutting from jodan and working on harmonizing breath and/or stepping (projects the person that needs to get back in the habit of daily suburi). 

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

Having someone try to hit you focuses the mind amazingly. B)

I find this especially true when the other person has a spear.  oof...

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

22 hours ago, Mistr said:

We have been doing aikido masked since last fall. Everyone is also required to be vaccinated and boostered. So far, no one has caught anything at the dojo.

That's awesome. I think, sadly, we're in a really rough phase of the pandemic for that. People have dropped a lot of precautions when the mandates ended, but the current variant is more contagious than measles. (R of 18.6, versus R of 18 for measles and R of 3 for the original covid variant.) So I suspect it's going to turn up in a lot of places that have been pretty safe in the past.

22 hours ago, Mistr said:

As you say, having a stick is handy for keeping distance.

Yes, nothing says "keep six feet away" like a sharp stick. :D

15 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Aren't there solo jo forms, and a handful of solo exercises?  Could always do some cutting from jodan and working on harmonizing breath and/or stepping (projects the person that needs to get back in the habit of daily suburi). 

There are, and I've done some, but not often enough to commit them to memory. I'll need to find some good YouTube videos.

On 7/14/2022 at 4:06 PM, Mistr said:

As you say, having a stick is handy for keeping distance. 

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yes, nothing says "keep six feet away" like a sharp stick. :D

Dr. David S. Anderson on Twitter: "Bring back the Polearm!!!  https://t.co/zIjgapf9Dm" / Twitter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Get your bivalent boosters, guys. And break out the masks again indoors, because it sounds like this next wave is gonna hit pretty hard.

What we know:

• Paxlovid doesn't work on this variant, because it's too different. We're just about back to the beginning in terms of available treatments.
  • The bivalent booster should work. The previous booster is probably too genetically different to catch this strain well.
  • Do not rely on the OTC rapid tests if you have symptoms. They are not reliable on this variant. It can take five days from the onset of symptoms for a positive result to show, and the current recommendation is to swab the throat as well as the nose (go real deep) to get enough sample. There are a ton of false negatives. The PCR test is still good, but not as accessible.
  • The bivalent booster uptake is currently about 5% in the US. It seems like a lot of people don't know about it. Spread the word. This wave is super contagious and has come pretty close to overwhelming hospitals in Germany. Going into the Thanksgiving wave almost unprotected will be a bad scene.
  • Cloth and surgical masks are no longer very useful, due to increased infectiousness. N95 is okay for short periods with unmasked people (maybe 45-60 min?), fitted N95 is best (several hours). The 3M Aura N95 is an unfitted N95 that works almost as well as a fitted N95 and is easily available.

What we also know:

• 1 in 4 people experience lingering symptoms months after having covid.
  • 1 in 20 do not fully recover (or at least, have not yet).
  • Heart attack and stroke risk goes up significantly, and doesn't appear to go back down. Heart attack and stroke deaths in the 18-45 age range have gone up a lot in the past year.
  • These risks are cumulative for each bout with covid.
  • Covid ages the immune system about ten years, reducing immunity to cancers and viruses. (These rates also seem to be going up.)
  • Damage to T cells indicates that covid does not make the immune system better at handling covid, but leaves it more vulnerable to later episodes of covid. Second and third infections may not feel more severe, but tend to do increasing amounts of harm that lasts past recovery.

In short, try not to get it, and if you've had it, try not to get it again, because it will keep rolling damage on the immune system and on clotting and venous issues.

Knowing Gi Joe GIF by MOODMAN

• Wow 3