Jump to content

The Warrior Meadhall


Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Are we talking melted cheese and no one posts raclette? Well I'll fix that! 

food porn cheese GIF

 

My gains for 2022 will be powered by cheese.

 

That is ingenious.

 

I like how the Rangers are actually ordering drinks in their thread, while we're like, "MEAT! CHEESE! GAINZ!" If I remember correctly, the Warriors guild used to have a pinned food thread. I guess if you just give us one thread, we make it the food one 😆

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5  

Supple Lioness Mobility

 

Link to comment
22 minutes ago, Alanna said:

 

That is ingenious.

 

I like how the Rangers are actually ordering drinks in their thread, while we're like, "MEAT! CHEESE! GAINZ!" If I remember correctly, the Warriors guild used to have a pinned food thread. I guess if you just give us one thread, we make it the food one 😆

and the reason I'm lurking. Meat is my love language.😀

  • Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Link to comment
41 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

and the reason I'm lurking. Meat is my love language.😀

You've come to the right place, I've just put some meat on the smoker. Time to raid the Rangers chat for all their drinks while the food cooks.

 

Grilling Labor Day GIF by Sonny's BBQ

  • Like 2

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Alanna said:

 

I like how the Rangers are actually ordering drinks in their thread, while we're like, "MEAT! CHEESE! GAINZ!" If I remember correctly, the Warriors guild used to have a pinned food thread. I guess if you just give us one thread, we make it the food one 😆

 

Obviously. We have our priorities in order.

 

Today is the last week/day of the fantasy football playoffs. Husband and I are having "lunch" in the form of a meat and cheese platter. The meat is various kinds of sausage, and this is the cheese:

 

Cheese - Reservations at Market of Choice

 

Except ours is much bigger. Carving chunks from a cheese ball and eating them counts as a meal.

  • Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Alanna said:

 

That is ingenious.

 

I like how the Rangers are actually ordering drinks in their thread, while we're like, "MEAT! CHEESE! GAINZ!" If I remember correctly, the Warriors guild used to have a pinned food thread. I guess if you just give us one thread, we make it the food one 😆

The guild and the meadhall are right next to one another. Our Bartender and your Pitmaster have a gentlebeing's agreement not to step on each other's toes. Y'all are always welcome over in our keep for a drink.

  • Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to comment

So I'm trying to learn how to cook meat, and learn about what pieces to use for what methods, in German. I went to the butcher and asked which pieces of pork were suitable for "kurzbraten" --brief hot frying--and the woman said basically everything: neck, back, schnitzel, and filet. I got a bunch of the schnitzel, and salted it. It's now in the fridge. It looks less fatty than the chops or neck, but not exactly super lean. I have four tries to get it right. Unfortunately she gave it to me in a big chunk and I wasn't able to cut it very evenly. Oh well. I'm thinking about roasting it at a high temp for 20 min in the oven. Maybe with the broiler on to give it some colour. (I don't really like the smell of frying pork fat, and it will make My Resident Herbivore distressed, so I've been doing more stuff in the oven)

  • Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
20 hours ago, Alanna said:

 

That is ingenious.

 

I like how the Rangers are actually ordering drinks in their thread, while we're like, "MEAT! CHEESE! GAINZ!" If I remember correctly, the Warriors guild used to have a pinned food thread. I guess if you just give us one thread, we make it the food one 😆

I mean, this is why Rangers and Warriors work so well together. We eat the meat n cheese, we wash it down with drink!

  • Like 1

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

 

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge: The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Volume I: Courage

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Fry your steaks in butter. They will be amazing.

Edit: that is, if dairy is an option. 


Dairy is more than an option; it's a mainstay. 😊

  • Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
12 hours ago, Defining said:

I'd vote for schmaltz over butter, personally. But I say that as someone who barely eats meat, so.... :P

 

I don't have schmalz and I feel uncomfortable cooking with straight animal fat? I think that would smell badly, and would distress Mr H.

I tried bake/broiling the meat and did it for way too long. It was tough and tasted weird. The next piece I fried, and it was raw in the middle. I sliced it, put it back, and gave it a few more seconds, and then it was tough and tasted weird.

Yikes, I don't think this "schnitzel" is my favourite cut. I did some searching and it's from the leg/keule/ham part of the animal. It's lean throughout but has some chunks of fat? at the edge that don't melt or anything and which were downright crunchy. Two more pieces to go. I guess my best bet is slice thinly and fry briefly with plenty of fat? Then eat with apfelmark perhaps.

 

I had a similar problem with the "huftsteak" which I guess is flank steak or rump steak. It's not steak quality! It's tough! What do you do with a piece like that?

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Harriet said:

 

I had a similar problem with the "huftsteak" which I guess is flank steak or rump steak. It's not steak quality! It's tough! What do you do with a piece like that?

 

I usually cube it and use it in stew or in strips for stir fry. 

 

Do you perhaps have a grill? Maybe cooking outside won't disturb the hubby. My father used to keep a small propane powered camp stove on the back porch to use for bacon or other strong smelling foods so that it wouldn't stink up the house. 

 

  • Like 1

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Harriet said:

 

I don't have schmalz and I feel uncomfortable cooking with straight animal fat? I think that would smell badly, and would distress Mr H.

 

Technically, butter is a form of straight animal fat.... and for the record, bacon grease is great for stir frying chicken, or pan frying potatoes.

 

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

I had a similar problem with the "huftsteak" which I guess is flank steak or rump steak. It's not steak quality! It's tough! What do you do with a piece like that?

 

You marinate it for several hours before putting it underneath the broiler for a few minutes. flip it over, put it back under the broiler, then slice it into thing slices (against the grain) and eat with rice. That's what I do anyway.

 

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

I usually cube it and use it in stew or in strips for stir fry. 

 

This works too. 

  • Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Technically, butter is a form of straight animal fat.... and for the record, bacon grease is great for stir frying chicken, or pan frying potatoes.

 

Dairy doesn't come from the sacred tree of life? 😮 I need to stop telling people I'm vegan, then.

 

2 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

You marinate it for several hours before putting it underneath the broiler for a few minutes. flip it over, put it back under the broiler, then slice it into thing slices (against the grain) and eat with rice. That's what I do anyway.

 

Ah. I must consider marinades as I have not made use of them yet.

 

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

I usually cube it and use it in stew or in strips for stir fry. 

 

Hmm. I sliced it fine and tried to fry it in butter and it was so tough.

 

2 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Do you perhaps have a grill? Maybe cooking outside won't disturb the hubby. My father used to keep a small propane powered camp stove on the back porch to use for bacon or other strong smelling foods so that it wouldn't stink up the house.

 

Unfortunately, no. We're in Berlin. We have a tiny concrete "balcony" that you couldn't so much as lie down on, even if you didn't mind rain water and moss.

  • Haha 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Ah. I must consider marinades as I have not made use of them yet.

 

This is my go-to marinade for flanksteaks: https://carlsbadcravings.com/marinated-flank-steak/

 

Note that when the recipe says to marinate for "at least two hours", what they actually meant to say was that if you marinate for less than four hours the flank steak will achieve a texture similar to old rubber when you broil it. If you really don't have time to marinate for four hours or longer, slice the marinated steak into thin strips and stir fry. (The marinate makes for quite a nice stir fry sauce, btw.)

 

The thing to remember with flank steak is that the meat becomes tougher the longer it cooks, so err on the side of caution, and actively try to cook it to a more rare finish than you normally prefer your meat. With a broiler, the flank steak will often continue cooking for a little while after you remove it from the heat, so you'll want to account for that as well. When I use the recipe above I broil for 5 minutes per side for thicker flank steaks, on the principle that the steak can go back in if it's under-done, but it's impossible to un-broil it if I leave it in for too long.

  • Thanks 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Hmm. I sliced it fine and tried to fry it in butter and it was so tough.

Did you cut parallel or perpendicular to the grain of the muscle? That makes a huge difference in the toughness of flank steak. 

  • Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Did you cut parallel or perpendicular to the grain of the muscle? That makes a huge difference in the toughness of flank steak. 

 

This is what's meant with cutting meat "against the grain", and absolutely critically important for making flank steak fit for human consumption.

  • Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

 

This is my go-to marinade for flanksteaks: https://carlsbadcravings.com/marinated-flank-steak/

 

Note that when the recipe says to marinate for "at least two hours", what they actually meant to say was that if you marinate for less than four hours the flank steak will achieve a texture similar to old rubber when you broil it. If you really don't have time to marinate for four hours or longer, slice the marinated steak into thin strips and stir fry. (The marinate makes for quite a nice stir fry sauce, btw.)

 

The thing to remember with flank steak is that the meat becomes tougher the longer it cooks, so err on the side of caution, and actively try to cook it to a more rare finish than you normally prefer your meat. With a broiler, the flank steak will often continue cooking for a little while after you remove it from the heat, so you'll want to account for that as well. When I use the recipe above I broil for 5 minutes per side for thicker flank steaks, on the principle that the steak can go back in if it's under-done, but it's impossible to un-broil it if I leave it in for too long.

 

Thank you for the details! I'll try this with a flank steak some time soon.

 

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Did you cut parallel or perpendicular to the grain of the muscle? That makes a huge difference in the toughness of flank steak. 

 

Perpendicular, of course. The meat was just doomed from the start, apparently.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Perpendicular, of course. The meat was just doomed from the start, apparently.

 

That's why the magical Marinade potion needs to be applied.

 

One of the most miserable dinners we have had in our house in a very long time, was the flank steak that taught us that two hours isn't long nearly enough for that marinade to be effective.... 

  • Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Ok, serious warrior question. 

 

At what loading levels does snapping the bolts on a bolted barbell become a concern? And is deadlift the most likely exercise for it to occur (I assume when it gets put back down)?

We've got a couple that are 8ish years old, people are deadlifting up to 240kg, I've been a little lax with maintenance, they're still fine. 

We do ask people to only use bumpers for deadlifts, that may make a difference. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl's next turning of the wheel

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Ok, serious warrior question. 

 

At what loading levels does snapping the bolts on a bolted barbell become a concern? And is deadlift the most likely exercise for it to occur (I assume when it gets put back down)?

 

15 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

We've got a couple that are 8ish years old, people are deadlifting up to 240kg, I've been a little lax with maintenance, they're still fine. 

We do ask people to only use bumpers for deadlifts, that may make a difference. 

 

10 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Ha, figured.

 

In general, anything written about barbells, especially bolted barbells, will encourage you to immediately ditch your dangerous barbell and go get one of the latest offerings from Rogue.

 

Nothing feels better than a nice brand new Texas Deadlift Bar... 🤤  I'm training now on a cheap 15kg olympic bar, though, haha! Gotta do what you gotta do.

 

I've seen a few that have broken in some variation over the years, but not without warning (you can tighten after they loosen, and you'll notice if the bolts are in wrong or bent). But you can also replace them if they do bend to prevent them from getting worse/barbell damage:

https://www.amazon.ca/Impresa-Products-2-Pack-Olympic-Replacement/dp/B06XKH9SVP/

 

I don't know the likelihood that they break but I've never seen a bar bend or break on a deadlift, honestly, and I've seen some pretty heavy deadlifts with pretty shitty bars. If you're slamming iron plates without any regard for the equipment, it could absolutely happen, but with respectful use I'd expect to see a bar bend under heavy squats before I'd think the bolt would break, just because those bars typically have a lower weight rating and I've definitely seen them bend under stress. 

 

Oh - rack pulls. I bet it'd be most likely to happen on a rack pull. That's why gyms often have rack pull only bars :) 

 

 

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines