The Warrior Meadhall

3 minutes ago, spezzy said:

Oh - rack pulls. I bet it'd be most likely to happen on a rack pull. That's why gyms often have rack pull only bars :) 

See I knew there was a good reason we don’t allow rack pulls ;) 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl's next turning of the wheel

my instagram - my gym's instagram

11 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

See I knew there was a good reason we don’t allow rack pulls ;) 

I once witnessed someone loading up a brand new power bar with as much weight as they could, putting collars on the bar, and then did rack pulls, slamming the bar as hard as they could between every rep for a video for instagram.

• Sad 2
  • Angry on your Behalf 1
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
2 minutes ago, spezzy said:

I once witnessed someone loading up a brand new power bar with as much weight as they could, putting collars on the bar, and then did rack pulls, slamming the bar as hard as they could between every rep for a video for instagram.

At a lifting meet we hosted we had a weightlifting guy miss a squat by jumping out from under it… it was 180 something kg, so the safeties were completely bend out of shape. So ok, shit happens on instinct right? Guy is used to dropping his cleans/FS with bumpers.. let’s sortof laugh about it since at least no one got injured.

next lift he does it again 😳

• Wow 3

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl's next turning of the wheel

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Okay, if we're going to continue talking about blatant abuse of lifting equipment, we are going to need need some kind of content warning on this thread. 

• Haha 3

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

I did actually replace the bolts and bushings on my bar.  When I tried to find the right allen wrench size online, lo and behold half of them that size come with bolts for barbells, and there wasn't much cost difference. It seems like this is not an uncommon problem.

How exceedingly convenient. You should stock up ;) 

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34

I'm new to the warriors guild. I not in a place where I can purchase dumbbells and I don't go to any gym (don't have the time in my life for the commute). Right now I'm using TRX bands, a pullup bar and just plain body weight exercises. My goal is to drop my body fat percentage and pack on some muscle. Any warriors out there manage to get some success without free weights? Any of you found success, coming from a softer body on a budget?  Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions. This is the first time in my life I'm really trying to change my mind and become an athlete. I have a lot to learn.

• Like 1

"We Will Be the Gods We Choose to Be, Not Those Who Have Been" - Kratos

Active Quests:

18% body fat: ⏹️

14 Days Intermittent Fasting: ⏹️ 7 Days Intermittent Fasting: ✅

210 pounds: ⏹️

9 hours ago, thealienthing said:

I'm new to the warriors guild. I not in a place where I can purchase dumbbells and I don't go to any gym (don't have the time in my life for the commute). Right now I'm using TRX bands, a pullup bar and just plain body weight exercises. My goal is to drop my body fat percentage and pack on some muscle. Any warriors out there manage to get some success without free weights? Any of you found success, coming from a softer body on a budget?  Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions. This is the first time in my life I'm really trying to change my mind and become an athlete. I have a lot to learn.

Welcome to Warriors! You can definitely get very strong and put on muscle with just bodyweight exercises :). It's great that you have access to a pull up bar and TRX bands, as that gives you a lot more options for pulling exercises like rows and pull ups. If you don't mind sharing, what's your starting point strength-wise, do you have any previous experience with following strength training programmes (using weights or bodyweight), what do your current workouts look like, and do you also have any particular strength-based goals (e.g., do your first push up and first pull up)? This information will help us provide more specific advice. 

I used to train primarily with free weights, but am focusing on bodyweight exercises now. You may also find it helpful to check in with Assassins, as many of them have a lot of bodyweight strength training knowledge. 

For body recomposition, you'll also want to pay attention to your diet - I saw you're already thinking about that in your challenge and battle log, which is great :). 

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5  

Supple Lioness Mobility

10 hours ago, thealienthing said:

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions. This is the first time in my life I'm really trying to change my mind and become an athlete. I have a lot to learn.

Just for the record.... asking questions about something you are entirely new to,  and want to learn more about, is never "dumb".  It's called "research", and it's a smart thing to do. ;) 

Welcome to the Warrior guild!  I'll leave the strength training information to @Alanna , she knows more about it than I do, and instead echo the advice to pay attention to what you eat, and how much of it. NerdFitness has a number of great resources available for learning about nutrition and developing good habits. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, thealienthing said:

I lost ~80 lbs then bulked and cut over the course of the next 3 years to get much more muscular (+20 lbs or so) and leaner mostly with just a doorway pullup bar.  I did use DB's to add weight to pistol squats and occasionally for pullups, but that was not an early addition (though I had some 25 and 15 hex DBs, eventually bought a pair of 35's); I also probably overbuilt my legs to the detriment of fancy calisthenics ability.

Yes it is possible.

However...

To go far you need to keep the intensity up, which means moving on to increasingly more esoteric and difficult moves to keep in strength and hypertrophy rep (or time under tension) ranges.  Which for the most part means gymnastics in the upper body.  For the legs deep step ups and pistol squats (and if you get strong and lean enough natural ham curls) are your friend.  10-20 sec all out sprints up hills is also a great BW leg strength workout.  In both cases the information does peter out a lot and you need to put in a lot of time figuring out your own progression plans.

But its possible.

The first time I went into a gym after getting strong with calisthenics I went into a nice hotel gym with a bunch of machines.  I walked in cold, put the selector on the very bottom plate and lifted the entire stack on every machine they had (bench, overhead, pulldown, leg press, leg extension), just to see if I could.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

7 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The first time I went into a gym after getting strong with calisthenics I went into a nice hotel gym with a bunch of machines.  I walked in cold, put the selector on the very bottom plate and lifted the entire stack on every machine they had (bench, overhead, pulldown, leg press, leg extension), just to see if I could.

And then you did this...?

hulk smash GIF

I did realize as I've been writing out challenge stuff about my current workout plan and recent changes to the malaise it was before that though I had a power rack and weights, almost everything I had been using it for was bodyweight.  I used the pullup bar and dip handles, and did step ups on the bench; the only weights I was lifting was to bench 1x a week.

currently cutting

don't panic!

12 hours ago, Alanna said:

Welcome to Warriors! You can definitely get very strong and put on muscle with just bodyweight exercises :). It's great that you have access to a pull up bar and TRX bands, as that gives you a lot more options for pulling exercises like rows and pull ups. If you don't mind sharing, what's your starting point strength-wise, do you have any previous experience with following strength training programmes (using weights or bodyweight), what do your current workouts look like, and do you also have any particular strength-based goals (e.g., do your first push up and first pull up)? This information will help us provide more specific advice. 

I used to train primarily with free weights, but am focusing on bodyweight exercises now. You may also find it helpful to check in with Assassins, as many of them have a lot of bodyweight strength training knowledge. 

For body recomposition, you'll also want to pay attention to your diet - I saw you're already thinking about that in your challenge and battle log, which is great :). 

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I haven't actually thought too much about what I want to accomplish strength wise. As of right now, my main desire is to get the excess fat off my body. I'm at 19% body fat and I want to eventually get down to 13%; that seems possible yet totally epic at the same time. I've always wanted to be able to do 30 consecutive pull-ups. In the last year, I've seen my dad who has been really hitting the climbing gym and pull up bars get to that point. It was really impressive. I would never have thought it possible from him. I have done some HIIT classes that use free weights, but they were never too heavy since it was all about the rapid succession of exercises and keeping that cardio up.

Thanks for the advise about the assassins. I'll see what they got going on.

11 hours ago, Waldo said:

I lost ~80 lbs then bulked and cut over the course of the next 3 years to get much more muscular (+20 lbs or so) and leaner mostly with just a doorway pullup bar.  I did use DB's to add weight to pistol squats and occasionally for pullups, but that was not an early addition (though I had some 25 and 15 hex DBs, eventually bought a pair of 35's); I also probably overbuilt my legs to the detriment of fancy calisthenics ability.

Yes it is possible.

However...

To go far you need to keep the intensity up, which means moving on to increasingly more esoteric and difficult moves to keep in strength and hypertrophy rep (or time under tension) ranges.  Which for the most part means gymnastics in the upper body.  For the legs deep step ups and pistol squats (and if you get strong and lean enough natural ham curls) are your friend.  10-20 sec all out sprints up hills is also a great BW leg strength workout.  In both cases the information does peter out a lot and you need to put in a lot of time figuring out your own progression plans.

But its possible.

Damn... Nice work with losing ~80lbs and gaining that muscle. That is really impressive :) I appreciate the advice. 

When you say upperbody gymnastics, what kinds of exercise are you referring to? Do you mean like handstands? Also that word hypertrophy is a new word for me; but your definition certainly sounds like a form of exercise I could get behind. Sounds to me a lot like the kind of tension you experience when your core is engaged during planks in the TRX bands.

• Like 1

Active Quests:

10 hours ago, thealienthing said:

When you say upperbody gymnastics, what kinds of exercise are you referring to? Do you mean like handstands? Also that word hypertrophy is a new word for me; but your definition certainly sounds like a form of exercise I could get behind. Sounds to me a lot like the kind of tension you experience when your core is engaged during planks in the TRX bands.

Hypertrophy is the technical term for muscle size increase, which includes muscle growth.    In general, you aren't going to get much stronger or see much size increase if you are doing exercises in rep ranges over 15 or hold times over 20 seconds.

The gymnastics progressions that lead to absolutely enormous loads are the planche, front lever, back lever, manna, flag, and one arm handstand (very few people on the planet strong enough to hold the most difficult moves in each progression).  One arm pullup, handstand pushups, and one arm pushup aren't gymnastics per se, but are other high load exercises frequently done.  Each of those moves tho has long and varied progressions (there is no one right way to get there) up from easy exercises.

• Like 2

currently cutting

don't panic!

14 hours ago, thealienthing said:

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I haven't actually thought too much about what I want to accomplish strength wise. As of right now, my main desire is to get the excess fat off my body. I'm at 19% body fat and I want to eventually get down to 13%; that seems possible yet totally epic at the same time. I've always wanted to be able to do 30 consecutive pull-ups. In the last year, I've seen my dad who has been really hitting the climbing gym and pull up bars get to that point. It was really impressive. I would never have thought it possible from him. I have done some HIIT classes that use free weights, but they were never too heavy since it was all about the rapid succession of exercises and keeping that cardio up.

Thanks for the advise about the assassins. I'll see what they got going on.

I think 30 consecutive pull-ups is in the muscular endurance territory (being able to do the same exercise many times in a row), which I don't have experience training for, so I'll let someone else chime in there. However, I think getting stronger at pull-ups in general (e.g., being able to perform them with extra weight) and building muscle should still help with that goal.

@Waanie from Assassins recently recommended Start Bodyweight and r/bodyweightfitness to me as resources for bodyweight strength training - I think a lot of the material they have will answer some of your questions. Additionally, here's a library of bodyweight movements and progressions that @WhiteGhost put together.

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5  

Supple Lioness Mobility

Waldo knows what he is talking about.  I would add that you can gain muscle and/or lose fat doing higher rep/lower intensity exercises at the beginner level but it becomes exponentially more difficult the stronger/leaner you get

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 1/12/2022 at 12:35 AM, Waldo said:

I also probably overbuilt my legs to the detriment of fancy calisthenics ability

hahaha, my life's story :D

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Wow, thanks for all the input guys. I'll look into these sources and see about integrating some of these higher intensity lower rep exercises.

When someone is looking to burn fat and get lean, is it better to do high intensity/low rep or low intensity/high rep?

Active Quests:

4 hours ago, thealienthing said:

When someone is looking to burn fat and get lean, is it better to do high intensity/low rep or low intensity/high rep?

Diet is probably more important than your rep scheme for weight loss. Exercise doesn't burn *that* many calories, and it can stimulate appetite and decrease spontaneous non-exercise activity. So it's best seen as a companion to diet. Of course, if you build muscle, your daily calorie needs will be lastingly higher, and you'll look at feel better at any level of body fat.

I think if I were concerned with my figure and getting lean/muscular, I would focus on hypertrophy, which will be medium intensity and higher volume--lifts you can do for about 6 to 12 reps, and as many sets as you can recover from between workouts. I would do some heavier stuff occasionally for strength (3-5 reps, much lower volume. But I'm not sure how practicable this is with bodyweight work?). I would also take a light week every month or two where you lower the weight and drop the volume by half--to dissipate accumulated fatigue.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

A lot of "strength" actually comes not from the muscle fibers themselves, but the fuel stored locally in the muscle.  And by strength I mean ability to do reps at a given load.  One of the effects of a long sustained calorie deficit is to reduce the amount of locally stored fuel, which presents as muscle size loss and rep loss at a load.  Its not a beginner effect (or its so much smaller than the starting training effect that its blunted), but once you're in a trained state and beyond beginner gains, calorie deficits start to become really noticeable in the mid-high rep ranges.  Low rep peak strength is much less affected by calorie deficits.

(Neat little trick, Creatine is one of the 2 primary intra-muscle fuels, when you start taking it (and are trained, no more beginner gains), if you haven't been, exercises you could do 4-5 reps on turn into 6-7 overnight as your ability to sustain peak output is increased by the fuel availability.  The usefulness of this is debatable and the effect vanishes when you stop taking it, but its a neat trick and good to know so you understand how things work in the muscles).

For beginners, it really doesn't matter, everything works.  But as you start becoming trained, 3-4-5 months, this stops being the case, low rep strength work is least affected by calorie deficits and does seem to have a strong muscle effect on muscle retention.

High fatigue muscle building schemes like post failure rest-pause work should not be considered unless in a sustained calorie surplus as the recovery load is so extreme (which is the point).

If bodyweight exercises are going to be your path forward for the forseeable future, the starting point as a beginner is to work up to the basic primary exercises; pushups, dips, pullups, wall handstands, pistol squats, hollow body hold.  Pushups are the first place you'll have to start deleveraging for more load.

currently cutting

don't panic!

On 1/13/2022 at 12:35 PM, thealienthing said:

The consensus is pretty clear that the best workout for anyone is the one that you actually do.  If you enjoy one type of workout over another, you are probably not going to get hyped to workout doing the less preferable version, regardless of any marginal benefits.  

• Like 3

Level 2 Ninja

I cooked a pork tenderloin and it turned out beautifully, and did not make the kitchen smell. I think this cut and method combo is a winner.

• Like 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru