The Warrior Meadhall

25 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Ugh.

Don't worry, I'm not upset at all. I would have been, once upon a time, but I am apparently less anxious and insecure now. (Though I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind having lifts so impressively huge that no one dares offer advice 😛) The meditation is also helping me interpret things in less upsetting ways. I guess he just wanted to interact and needed some opening. Every communication is a divine expression of the general vibrations of the universe, you know.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Also I am happy, having perfected my rib eye steak game: First, salt it MORE than you think is even allowed, then let sit for hours or a day. Then cook. Then add butter on top. No, more butter. Yes. Butter. Take it to your room to eat in peace and quiet. Realise there are no vegetables on your plate, and be thankful that there is nothing to distract you from eating the steak while it is still warm. Eat the steak mindfully. Eat the little fat bit in the middle. Lick the remaining blood and butter off the plate. Be happy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • That's Metal 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

Also I am happy, having perfected my rib eye steak game: First, salt it MORE than you think is even allowed, then let sit for hours or a day. Then cook. Then add butter on top. No, more butter. Yes. Butter. Take it to your room to eat in peace and quiet. Realise there are no vegetables on your plate, and be thankful that there is nothing to distract you from eating the steak while it is still warm. Eat the steak mindfully. Eat the little fat bit in the middle. Lick the remaining blood and butter off the plate. Be happy.

Star Wars Reaction GIF by Disney+

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

Can we get an food erotica warning on this thread, please?

• Haha 6

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36

7 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Can we get an food erotica warning on this thread, please?

Are you saying you'd like further, needlessly detailed descriptions of me eating things mindfully? I'd like that. I mean I'd like eating things mindfully, and I'd also like writing about it.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

Are you saying you'd like further, needlessly detailed descriptions of me eating things mindfully? I'd like that. I mean I'd like eating things mindfully, and I'd also like writing about it.

Obviously we are all here for to be further inspired to eat delicious and healthy food.

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36

29 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

Obviously we are all here for to be further inspired to eat delicious and healthy food.

Very well. Note that my notion of healthy and delicious may differ from that of nutrition authorities.

Today I looked at the butcher's counter and asked for the tafelspitz, since it looked the fattest. I threw it in a heavy ceramic pot with heavily salted water and put it in the oven at 150 degrees celcius for three and a half hours. The apartment filled with the characteristic braising smell, and the water became a fat golden broth, and the meat softened and fell apart when pressured with forks. I considered adding butter, but the broth was already buttery. The meat itself was not as moist as, say, a rib eye steak or a chicken thigh. But when dipped into the broth in small amounts, it was good. Drinking the liquid at the end was the best part. I am something of a cooking minimalist, or perhaps simply lazy, so it has pleased me to discover that searing is not necessary for a delicious braise, and neither are herbs, aromatics, or any other ingredient bar salt and water. Perhaps I will make red wine and butter versions for special occasions, but I find it very satisfying to get such results from such simplicity. It is the zen of tafelspitz. I do wonder if I could make the braise better in terms of texture, though. I haven't had any more tough braises since I increased the time to 3.5 hours and lowered the temperature to 150 c. But how does one make a braise with no dryness in which the fat is well spread throughout? You know, like a great restaurant ox cheek? Is it simply a matter of how fat the meat is to begin with? Can we adjust this by adding extra fats to the braise (butter, olive, coconut) or would these simply slide off into the water? Or is the trick of restaurants to simply make sure each bite is thoroughly saucy?

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

3 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Is it simply a matter of how fat the meat is to begin with?

Yes. It also matters where the fat is. Meat where all the fat is in a chunk on the surface will become drier than meat where the fat is marbled throughout the roast. In the USDA chart below, the Select grade steak will be considerably drier than the Prime grade steak, because there's no fat inside the meat itself to soften and moisturize it.

Wagyu Beef Grading and Marble Scores Guide | Steaks and Game

Prime grade meat tends to cost more, even more so now that the pandemic has caused supply chain issues. Husband and I have a standing tradition of having a prime rib roast  as our Christmas dinner. This past Christmas, the Prime grade roast was $22 per pound where we live. The Choice grade was around 40% cheaper.

9 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Or is the trick of restaurants to simply make sure each bite is thoroughly saucy?

Sometimes. Another trick restaurants frequently employ is to splurge on high quality ingredients, and then they employ a professional chef to do the actual cooking. ;)

Joking aside, while there is a lot of joy to be had from minimalist cooking, as you've discovered, the single biggest drawback is that it puts you almost entirely at the mercy of your ingredients, especially the quality of the meat you are cooking. There is very little that can be done about that, unfortunately. Once the meat has been cut, it is what it is. 

Personally, I'm convinced this is the main reason there are so many different cooking methods in the world - throughout history, the poor people wanted good food too. :) 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Yes. It also matters where the fat is. Meat where all the fat is in a chunk on the surface will become drier than meat where the fat is marbled throughout the roast. In the USDA chart below, the Select grade steak will be considerably drier than the Prime grade steak, because there's no fat inside the meat itself to soften and moisturize it.

Wagyu Beef Grading and Marble Scores Guide | Steaks and Game

Ah. My choices are grass fed organic meat or conventional meat. The organic is expensive, but it also seems to be lean and not marbled, except for the rib eye steaks. Grain finishing creates that marbling, but producers have also been breeding for leaner cows, according to my meat book, due to the nutritional authorities encouraging low fat diets for decades. Not every producer has the same breeds of cows and pigs, though, so I could try another place nearby (not organic but a similarly strict certification that focuses on sustainability and humane, species-appropriate raising of animals).

Prime grade meat tends to cost more, even more so now that the pandemic has caused supply chain issues. Husband and I have a standing tradition of having a prime rib roast  as our Christmas dinner. This past Christmas, the Prime grade roast was $22 per pound where we live. The Choice grade was around 40% cheaper.

Nom :D My brother and I bought the a more expensive cut for our Christmas dinner, too, one I prefer but don't usually buy. It was delicious and I like the idea of having a special occasion cut.

Sometimes. Another trick restaurants frequently employ is to splurge on high quality ingredients, and then they employ a professional chef to do the actual cooking. ;)

I do spent a lot of money on my groceries more for environmental reasons than anything. But I lack basic cooking skills and am trying to figure it out from scratch. It's hard because when you look up how to cook something you get lots of different, bad, superficial advice. I need the cooking equivalent of juggernaut training systems--someone I can trust who has all the details. 

Joking aside, while there is a lot of joy to be had from minimalist cooking, as you've discovered, the single biggest drawback is that it puts you almost entirely at the mercy of your ingredients, especially the quality of the meat you are cooking. There is very little that can be done about that, unfortunately. Once the meat has been cut, it is what it is. 

Personally, I'm convinced this is the main reason there are so many different cooking methods in the world - throughout history, the poor people wanted good food too. :) 

It's incredible the ways humans have found great dishes to make use of every little thing available 😊

16 hours ago, Harriet said:

I need the cooking equivalent of juggernaut training systems--someone I can trust who has all the details. 

There are several of those out there. Just like training systems though, you can't really find one that has everything about everything.  I'm fairly certain that if you do a search for "<cooking method> + guide basics", you can probably find almost anything. And I'm sure you can find one or two helpful food nerds willing to help you check the guides and make sure they are reliable, if you ask... ;) 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 2:26 AM, Scaly Freak said:

There are several of those out there. Just like training systems though, you can't really find one that has everything about everything.  I'm fairly certain that if you do a search for "<cooking method> + guide basics", you can probably find almost anything. And I'm sure you can find one or two helpful food nerds willing to help you check the guides and make sure they are reliable, if you ask... ;) 

I will search, but the good stuff is just crowded out by the huge volume of crap :(

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

I will search, but the good stuff is just crowded out by the huge volume of crap :(

This is the way of the internet, unfortunately. Are you looking for something specific? I might have something useful in my recipe collection.

6 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

This is the way of the internet, unfortunately. Are you looking for something specific? I might have something useful in my recipe collection.

Yes! I am looking for the fundamentals of cooking meat, in German. I don't want a superficial how to, I want something that explains the principles (like Samin Nosrat's *Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat* Or *Cook's Illustrated*, a magazine of which I have seen a few copies. It explained things thoroughly). But it can't skip the basics and give me the advanced recipes either. And I want it in German because we simply don't have the same cuts as Americans do. So you have chuck roasts, and we have three or so different cuts from around that area.

24 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Yes! I am looking for the fundamentals of cooking meat, in German. I don't want a superficial how to, I want something that explains the principles (like Samin Nosrat's *Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat* Or *Cook's Illustrated*, a magazine of which I have seen a few copies. It explained things thoroughly). But it can't skip the basics and give me the advanced recipes either. And I want it in German because we simply don't have the same cuts as Americans do. So you have chuck roasts, and we have three or so different cuts from around that area.

You might be better off checking local libraries and bookstores, than scouring the internet for that kind of topic. And all of mine are for US cuts, so they're not very helpful for specifics, but the very basics of how meat acts when heat is applied to it, is the same regardless of the cut and shape of the meat. Spearing a fork into a piece of red meat right after you take it off the heat is always going to be a bad idea, regardless of language. That said, tips and tricks on how to cook a cut you don't have access to, are probably not the most helpful.

12 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

You might be better off checking local libraries and bookstores, than scouring the internet for that kind of topic. And all of mine are for US cuts, so they're not very helpful for specifics, but the very basics of how meat acts when heat is applied to it, is the same regardless of the cut and shape of the meat. Spearing a fork into a piece of red meat right after you take it off the heat is always going to be a bad idea, regardless of language. That said, tips and tricks on how to cook a cut you don't have access to, are probably not the most helpful.

Hmmmm, true, if it's about principles rather than specific recipes, it might be okay to get it in English. I mean, how many different factors are there for cuts? Size, leanness, toughness, connective tissue...

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Hmmmm, true, if it's about principles rather than specific recipes, it might be okay to get it in English. I mean, how many different factors are there for cuts? Size, leanness, toughness, connective tissue...

...temperature and cook time. ;) 

So is this similar to what you're looking for? https://www.simplyrecipes.com/how-to-braise-any-meat-or-vegetable-5209596

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scaly Freak said:

...temperature and cook time. ;) 

So is this similar to what you're looking for? https://www.simplyrecipes.com/how-to-braise-any-meat-or-vegetable-5209596

It looks like a good start! Thank you ❤️

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

It looks like a good start! Thank you ❤️

In that case, may I present the ultimate rabbit hole of cooking nerdery: https://www.scienceofcooking.com/ :) 

• Like 3

On 1/22/2022 at 6:20 PM, Scaly Freak said:

In that case, may I present the ultimate rabbit hole of cooking nerdery: https://www.scienceofcooking.com/ :) 

Oh my, so many categories! With molecules! Thank you 😊

Just popping in. I made the leap last week and invested in a set of free weights. Got a 300 pound set of dumbbells for a great deal. Set up my rack and did my first at home lift session and feel pretty good! Big win, and I'm excited to start walking further down the warriors path! Good luck out there!

200.gif

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

"We will be the gods we choose to be, not those who have been" - Kratos (God of War 2018)

Current Challenge  |  Previous Challenges: 3 2 1

Active Quests:

17% body fat: ⏹️ 18% body fat: ✅

30 Days: ✅ 14 Days Intermittent Fasting✅ 7 Days Intermittent Fasting: ✅

200 pounds: ⏹️ 205 pounds: ✅ 210 pounds: ✅

20 Unassisted Pull ups: ⏹️ 14 Unassisted Pullups: ✅ 8 Unassisted Pullups✅

11 hours ago, thealienthing said:

Just popping in. I made the leap last week and invested in a set of free weights. Got a 300 pound set of dumbbells for a great deal. Set up my rack and did my first at home lift session and feel pretty good! Big win, and I'm excited to start walking further down the warriors path! Good luck out there!

Nice! Enjoy your dumbbells!

Wait, is that 2 x 150lb dumbbells for a total weight of 300lb, or a set of many smaller dumbbells that total 300lb, or a set ranging up to 300lb each?

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

Nice! Enjoy your dumbbells!

Wait, is that 2 x 150lb dumbbells for a total weight of 300lb, or a set of many smaller dumbbells that total 300lb, or a set ranging up to 300lb each?

Ha! Your consideration that I could lift two 150 pounds weights, as incredulous as it is, is flattering. It's just a range going 10, 15, 20, 25, 30. A good babies first weight set I think. As I become stronk, I will buy bigger weights :) 💪

• Like 1

"We will be the gods we choose to be, not those who have been" - Kratos (God of War 2018)

Current Challenge  |  Previous Challenges: 3 2 1

Active Quests:

17% body fat: ⏹️ 18% body fat: ✅

30 Days: ✅ 14 Days Intermittent Fasting✅ 7 Days Intermittent Fasting: ✅

200 pounds: ⏹️ 205 pounds: ✅ 210 pounds: ✅

20 Unassisted Pull ups: ⏹️ 14 Unassisted Pullups: ✅ 8 Unassisted Pullups✅

8 hours ago, thealienthing said:

Ha! Your consideration that I could lift two 150 pounds weights, as incredulous as it is, is flattering. It's just a range going 10, 15, 20, 25, 30. A good babies first weight set I think. As I become stronk, I will buy bigger weights :) 💪

Well there are some crazy strong lifters out there. Not sure if it's better etiquette to wish that they'll last a long time, or that you'll outgrow them fast, but either way happy lifting 😊

• Like 2

DBs are the next thing I'm working on for my gym.  My wife uses them a lot; there's a trainer on youtube she's followed for a few years that uses DB's almost exclusively (real lifting, not db aerobics).  A pair of 15 and 25 hex DBs are my oldest pieces of gym equipment, bought when I was a junior in college back in 1998.  Have added 5, 10, 20, 35 and a rack over the years.  I used to use them to add weight to pistols.  I think I'd like to start doing some DB overhead pressing, but I'm going to need some bigger dbs for that.  I found a cheap pair of iron 30's, the missing hole in my current lineup on backorder.  Rubber hex are cheaper than iron hex in big #'s; it seems like the old iron hex have been mostly phased out, replaced by rubber hex.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!