The Warrior Meadhall

20 hours ago, Kratos said:

Does anyone have any advice or insight on this? I'm currently sitting at about 17.7% body fat on the scale. Though I don't expect it to be accurate, I was hoping that this metric would change more after 4-5 weeks. I hope to eventually get down to 10%. Anyone have success with this and any tips or pointers?

Thanks for your help and patience, guys.

Everything Harriet said was really smart and I would just like to formally second all of it.

Disclaimer for what it is worth, I was not so long ago 45% BF, probably now like 35%, and at the fittest in my whole life (in the Army) was around 25% BF. So I have no idea what it is like to be 17.7% BF. 

But one thing I thought of that I could offer - do you track your weights in an excel spreadsheet? And if so, do you do a week to week 7 day average? I found this really helpful when I was tracking my weights over a long period of time. Whether you check your weight daily or a few check-ins a week, there is a lot of "noise" as others have mentioned with water retention, weight of food, etc. Sometimes I would glance at the weights and it would look like the numbers weren't moving (for example it would keep bouncing between 200-205) but if I looked at the 7 day averages I would  see that it was in fact trending downward (week 1 avg - 204.2, week 2 avg - 203.8, week 3 avg -203.5, etc). This was a really helpful way for me to observe that I was indeed still making progress when things started to slow down and progress is made in smaller increments. 

I learned this from reading https://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com in case you would like to look into Eric Helm's work a bit further. It sounds like you're doing awesome work!

• Like 1

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky." - Michael Scott.

Thanks Harriet and Brovatar for the insight and experience! Anyone else wanting to chime in is of course welcome.

Brovatar, I am monitoring my weights using a smart scale app but it doesn't give a weekly average. But zooming out as far as possible, I can see a downward trend which is definitely encouraging. I think I just gotta hang in there and be patient.

Harriet, I'm gonna keep at it and see how I can improve my stress levels. Though I feel mostly fine, I'm sure that I'm still coping with the stress of new habits like waking up early, rigorous exercise and, of course, dieting.

• Like 2

"We will be the gods we choose to be, not those who have been" - Kratos (God of War 2018)

Current Challenge  |  Previous Challenges: 3 2 1

Active Quests:

17% body fat: ⏹️ 18% body fat: ✅

30 Days: ✅ 14 Days Intermittent Fasting✅ 7 Days Intermittent Fasting: ✅

200 pounds: ⏹️ 205 pounds: ✅ 210 pounds: ✅

20 Unassisted Pull ups: ⏹️ 14 Unassisted Pullups: ✅ 8 Unassisted Pullups✅

8 hours ago, Brovatar Korra said:

But one thing I thought of that I could offer - do you track your weights in an excel spreadsheet? And if so, do you do a week to week 7 day average? I found this really helpful when I was tracking my weights over a long period of time. Whether you check your weight daily or a few check-ins a week, there is a lot of "noise" as others have mentioned with water retention, weight of food, etc. Sometimes I would glance at the weights and it would look like the numbers weren't moving (for example it would keep bouncing between 200-205) but if I looked at the 7 day averages I would  see that it was in fact trending downward (week 1 avg - 204.2, week 2 avg - 203.8, week 3 avg -203.5, etc). This was a really helpful way for me to observe that I was indeed still making progress when things started to slow down and progress is made in smaller increments. 

I'll second this - weight loss is annoyingly nonlinear. If anyone wants a mobile solution for tracking weight with a trend line, there are also some free phone apps like Libra with that functionality 🙂

• Like 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

15 hours ago, Kratos said:

Harriet, I'm gonna keep at it and see how I can improve my stress levels. Though I feel mostly fine, I'm sure that I'm still coping with the stress of new habits like waking up early, rigorous exercise and, of course, dieting.

Groovy. If the stall goes on for a couple more weeks, you can check if you're counting accurately, then consider whether you want to further increase restriction or take a break from dieting to reverse some of the adaptations to lowered calories, or you can see if tweaking the food quality or macros helps. And yes, apps that show an average weight are nice! I have happy scale. It is pleasing.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Hello! I accidentally found an old archived Warrior thread earlier and posted my introduction there until @Alannatapped my excited shoulders and pointed me to barbarian rage off in the other direction. 

anime-awkward.gif

So, I'll awkwardly try this again...

Hello! It's nice to already recognise a few faces in here- thought I'd finally drop by and introduce myself to my guild 😊

I've tried a few paths over the years:

• I kept my focus on finishing all the Academy and Rebel Quests when I started and I'm still ticking the last few off.
  • I started off my NF journey as a Druid. I had done yoga for years and due to most of my life doing some form of dancing, flexibility was never an issue for me. I also trained as a Meditation Facilitator so the meditation quests were easy for me to tick off. I'll admit it- I started on my easy path so I could tick a bunch of things off and feel good; but for me personally, it was too easy and I knew it. But it was a nice start.
  • Then I tried to be a Scout.... yeah.... I'm not a cardio fan, that wasn't working. I did do a fair amount with running using the app Run, Zombies! and C25K training, but in my heart- I wasn't really having fun. Maybe I'll come back to it later.
  • Ranger and Adventurer would be cool one day, but it's not calling to me at the moment. I suspect I'll naturally end up completing a lot of the Ranger as I go and travelling the world is my dream, so I'll definitely come back to Adventurer one day- maybe after Assassin: speaking of which...
  • Deep down, I've always felt like an Assassin and I dream of being able to have those skills one day, but in reality... well, I fell over a fair bit attempting it 😅 So I'll multiclass later! (And I have since been encouraged by others to give it a go in the next 5 week challenge some of these skills)

So, here I am- ready to be a Warrior >:0 

I have already been hanging out with some warrior-types elsewhere, a bunch of ripped dudes that are close friends (who I'm pretty sure just find me adorable for trying). They have been great for encouragement. I'm always like 'anything you can do, I can do >:0' (I really can't, they're way stronger, of course; but I've learned a lot from always trying!) 

I have also been doing the NF fitness path. I'm up to the Gym level 4 and I love that I've using my barbell finally! I also bought a chin-up bar and hang rings off of it. I can't do a chin-up. I can't even do a proper push-up. But I discovered I love lifting and I love slowly seeing the results as my weights increase. 

I just started my 5 Week Challenge and included in that is me starting to focus on the Warrior Quests specifically. Boy, do I have a lot of research to do- I don't know what half these definitions are! But I do have some trained lifting experience as my PT used to do it with me a few years ago, so some things I recognise I just didn't know the name. So I'm starting with completing all the barbell quests (and as of an hour ago I officially completed these!)

I'll figure out a Battle Log at some point too!

Anyway, hello- I'm sure I'll be asking you guys a lot of questions! 
ClutteredAcrobaticBrahmanbull-size_restr 

• Like 5

⭐2022 Challenges: Apr 22, May 22

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Welcome! Hope you find yourself moving forward here in the guild!

• Like 1

"We will be the gods we choose to be, not those who have been" - Kratos (God of War 2018)

Current Challenge  |  Previous Challenges: 3 2 1

Active Quests:

17% body fat: ⏹️ 18% body fat: ✅

30 Days: ✅ 14 Days Intermittent Fasting✅ 7 Days Intermittent Fasting: ✅

200 pounds: ⏹️ 205 pounds: ✅ 210 pounds: ✅

20 Unassisted Pull ups: ⏹️ 14 Unassisted Pullups: ✅ 8 Unassisted Pullups✅

I'm just going to put this here as an example of a thoroughly successful kitchen experiment, that was just concluded.: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/soy-sauce-and-honey-glazed-turkey

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36

Sprints in to squeal I DEADLIFTED 75% MY BW!!! 

I didn’t think I could but then someone inspired me and I started with just the Olympic barbell and then kept adding 5kg equally then doing 3 deadlifts. My grip gave out in the end (I had done a boxing class beforehand.) 

Happy warrior grunting sounds.

image.gif.961bab92acbe559c6ea009e0904181bc.gif

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

9 hours ago, SakuraKitsune said:

Sprints in to squeal I DEADLIFTED 75% MY BW!!! 

brain roar GIF

That is awesome! Great progress! 

Do you know if your grip gave out from soreness, tiredness, sweaty palms, or anything else? Obviously if your hands are tired they are tired, but hand sweat and a few other factors can be mitigated enough to reduce their impact on your lifting.

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36

...and I came here just to express joy that I got to go back to the gym last night. I barbell squatted, and overhead pressed a kettlebell and did a cooldown on the rowing machine and it was all wonderful. Gym is happy place.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 4

On 4/30/2022 at 6:01 AM, Scaly Freak said:

Do you know if your grip gave out from soreness, tiredness, sweaty palms, or anything else? Obviously if your hands are tired they are tired, but hand sweat and a few other factors can be mitigated enough to reduce their impact on your lifting.

Hmm I'm trying to remember now. I felt like I could have lifted more if it wasn't for my grip. I think sweatiness was part of it subtly. Like it wasn't obviously palms, but I was trying to wipe in between each lift in hopes it would help. I used to use liquid chalk with pole dancing so maybe I'll see if I have any left or buy some more. I was also aware maybe my nails were a little long- I cut them all back after that session. I'm going to have to do another session with these factors in play and not tired before I know if it's lack of grip strength. There's definitely a chance. I'll admit I even started looking at lifting straps in case it was.

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★