2022 New Year General Chat

spezzy

19 hours ago, RES said:

Did, and joined you already!

Let's do this!!

FYI, I'm on a laptop and clicking the 'Challenges/Current Challenge' in the header sends me to the prior challenge as well. From their I followed breadcrumbs to the new one.

I've doublechecked everything and the links are all right from what I can see.  It sounds like you're talking about the navigation bar at the top of the page, not the "Create Your Challenge" button, is that right?

Either way, can you refresh the page? I'm wondering if some things that are in our global template are cached at first, as these links are settings I update in their admin panel and not in the code itself. 

If you're seeing the right top navigation when you hover over Challenges this is what you should see:

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.32.36 AM.png

I added the Guild Chat and Discussion / Adventure Parties - so if you don't see those, it's an older version. 

Let me know if you're talking about a different spot - I've looked everywhere but I am fully capable of missing one!

• Like 1
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
12 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

Has anyone used the Hero’s Journal? I just got the Magic Academy (PDF version) and I’m excited to dive into it!

I almost bought one at the beginning of last year, but given my track record with journals, $50 seemed like a lot. Kind of having trouble telling what the difference is between the original journey, the Adventurer's edition, and the Magic Academy.

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

6 hours ago, spezzy said:

I've doublechecked everything and the links are all right from what I can see.  It sounds like you're talking about the navigation bar at the top of the page, not the "Create Your Challenge" button, is that right?

Either way, can you refresh the page? I'm wondering if some things that are in our global template are cached at first, as these links are settings I update in their admin panel and not in the code itself. 

If you're seeing the right top navigation when you hover over Challenges this is what you should see:

Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.32.36 AM.png

I added the Guild Chat and Discussion / Adventure Parties - so if you don't see those, it's an older version. 

Let me know if you're talking about a different spot - I've looked everywhere but I am fully capable of missing one!

It's working correctly now, I meant to come say something this morning but saw something shiny

:D 

• Like 3

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES Learns to Wrestle!

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 74

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I had to shift-refresh to update the links so if you have access to shorten the cache length in the header that may help :)

• Like 1

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

14 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

Has anyone used the Hero’s Journal? I just got the Magic Academy (PDF version) and I’m excited to dive into it!

I want to hear all about this, please!!

• Like 1

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

On 12/26/2021 at 5:25 PM, Heidi said:

On the main page for the current challenge, I’m not seeing the “add a topic” button. Do we need to choose to nest our challenge in a guild thread this go-around?

On 12/26/2021 at 5:33 PM, Heidi said:

Thanks for the screen shot.

That button isn’t showing up on my screen, which is what I was pointing out.

I was able to post a topic in the main thread using the large grey plus sign at the very top of the banner.

On 12/26/2021 at 6:16 PM, spezzy said:

One thing that can help is to turn your screen landscape - that will give you more real estate to work with :)

The new link should work for everyone who is having this issue and can't see it, and it's linked to above in my initial post now as well. 

I had this issue last challenge and it's happening again now. On my iPad it's there, on my iPhone 7 it's not visible on either Safari or Chrome, even when in landscape mode. I know there are ways around it, just chiming in.

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

8 minutes ago, fleaball said:

on my iPhone 7 it's not visible on either Safari or Chrome, even when in landscape mode. I know there are ways around it, just chiming in.

And here I thought it was just me!

• Like 1

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

3 minutes ago, Heidi said:

same lol. I usually create my challenges on my laptop but did the last one on my phone and just assumed I was blind for not being able to find the button. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

3 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I almost bought one at the beginning of last year, but given my track record with journals, $50 seemed like a lot. Kind of having trouble telling what the difference is between the original journey, the Adventurer's edition, and the Magic Academy.

Yeah, the price tag is steep! And I didn’t want to pay customs/international shipping on it as well, so I thought I’d try the digital version instead (especially since if I then liked it I could reprint it again and again…). 

I haven’t looked into the Adventurer’s version, but basically difference in the original and Magic Academy is the story template. The original has a very “small town person called to adventure” storyline seen in a lot of fantasy stories like the Hobbit, Belgariad, Prydain, etc. (may or may not include dragons and becoming a ruler?), the Magic Academy is themed/storied around basically Hogwarts with the serial numbers filed off. I’m a sucker for the magical boarding school trope, so that’s the one I got! 

• Like 3

Sometimes you have to wander to find your way home…
🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

Epic Quest: Tales of Owlshire 

1 hour ago, Heidi said:

I want to hear all about this, please!!

I will try to mention my progress in using it on it in my thread. I didn’t theme my challenge around it, because the journal is aimed more at my writing/career goals rather than my fitness goals. 

• Like 1

Sometimes you have to wander to find your way home…
🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

Epic Quest: Tales of Owlshire 

1 hour ago, This is Seth said:

Jeez, things look so different around here nowadays. It's so clean cut and polished...

Looking forward to diving into my first challenge in 7+ years.

One of the ancients! Always an honor to meet someone with an older join date than mine.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

13 hours ago, This is Seth said:

Jeez, things look so different around here nowadays. It's so clean cut and polished...

Welcome back, Seth, good to see you again!

Grab a flagon and settle in by the fire and catch me up in your adventures since forever ago.

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

12 hours ago, Ann of Owlshire said:

I will try to mention my progress in using it on it in my thread. I didn’t theme my challenge around it, because the journal is aimed more at my writing/career goals rather than my fitness goals. 

Cheering you on for writing goals!

• Like 1

&Heidi

Gypsy Druid Paladin

15 hours ago, This is Seth said:

Welcome back! 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

18 hours ago, fleaball said:

I had this issue last challenge and it's happening again now. On my iPad it's there, on my iPhone 7 it's not visible on either Safari or Chrome, even when in landscape mode. I know there are ways around it, just chiming in.

18 hours ago, Heidi said:

18 hours ago, fleaball said:

same lol. I usually create my challenges on my laptop but did the last one on my phone and just assumed I was blind for not being able to find the button. 

Thanks! Definitely never be afraid to bring things like this up, there are some things I don't have the ability to change right now (like this specifically), but I can put in workarounds if I know it's happening. I do test everything on mobile, and use the mobile site a lot myself, but I believe I mentioned that my phone is a giant.  I'll see if my old iPhone works (I think it's a 5 so maybe not haha) to see what things look like on the smaller screens. 

I also made a thread just for these kinds of things, as well as general challenge help, not only so we can keep this about chat but I think it'll be better to have them all organized together for others who may be having issues :)
https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/119615-need-help-setting-up-your-challenge-have-a-tech-issue-ask-here/

• Like 4
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Barkeep, I need a tankard of your strongest hot chocolate, and don't stint on the whipped cream. It's been that sort of day.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

So, I'm going back to counting macros, but I'm having trouble figuring out what info is correct based on multiple different entries for the same thing, example: 4 oz chicken breast, where the calories and protein are wildly different depending on the website or app entry I look at.  Does anyone have a website or strategy or something that can help me figure out what I'm actually eating?

Thanks!

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

19 minutes ago, Novaurora said:

So, I'm going back to counting macros, but I'm having trouble figuring out what info is correct based on multiple different entries for the same thing, example: 4 oz chicken breast, where the calories and protein are wildly different depending on the website or app entry I look at.  Does anyone have a website or strategy or something that can help me figure out what I'm actually eating?

Thanks!

Is some of the variability due to entries for cooked vs. raw chicken? The water content, and thus the weight, drastically changes during cooking (and depending on how you cook it), which could explain some of the variability! 

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 

9 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Is some of the variability due to entries for cooked vs. raw chicken? The water content, and thus the weight, drastically changes during cooking (and depending on how you cook it), which could explain some of the variability! 

This is a really good point.  I will be more specific in my googling to see if that changes anything

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

7 minutes ago, Novaurora said:

This is a really good point.  I will be more specific in my googling to see if that changes anything

From what I remember (it's been a few years since I tracked), My Fitness Pal has a decent library that specifies cook information. They often have multiple entries (and some of them are very inaccurate!), but I think they have a system where users can confirm the info so you can see which ones are more popular. My recommendation would be to ignore outliers and use macro info that is consistent with other entries for the same food (given the same type of preparation). It's not going to be perfect, but if you're weighing your food out that will already reduce a lot of the variability and bias in your tracking 🙂

Another trick is to use the weight of the raw meat for tracking info and divide the cooked food up into approximately equal size portions so you know how much of the raw ingredients went into each serving. My Fitness Pal has recipe tools that help with these calculations and you can save a serving of the recipe as something to log (so you don't have to log the individual components). This method is easier if you have lots of portion-sized food containers and everyone in the household eats a similar serving size!

I'll add that these tools were all free when I used this website/app - I'm not sure what their business model is these days.

• Like 3

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 

45 minutes ago, Alanna said:

Another trick is to use the weight of the raw meat for tracking info and divide the cooked food up into approximately equal size portions so you know how much of the raw ingredients went into each serving. My Fitness Pal has recipe tools that help with these calculations and you can save a serving of the recipe as something to log (so you don't have to log the individual components). This method is easier if you have lots of portion-sized food containers and everyone in the household eats a similar serving size!

I used to use this a lot when I was coming up with portion values for my own recipes - since I tend to do my own recipes. Just think of things as averages and don't to forget to include\measure things like butter\oil you're cooking food in to make sure you're not WAY underestimating that. I've been trying to focus on eat more veggies and replace some of the heavy carbs\meat I eat. Things are up in the air right now as we're about to move (hopefully for the last time) and I'll be in an area where meal planning will be very important because we're moving somewhere that "I don't feel like cooking, let's Door Dash tonight" will no longer be an option :) So I plan to start doing things like prepping meals for a slow cooker or instant pot so I can just dump it in, maybe make some rice or something and have dinner without having to worry about it and maybe back to a couple of meal kit meals a week..... I do work from home which makes some things easier - but I can't just pick something up on my way home either so it's kind of a wash in that respect :)

• Like 4

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).